Menu

Ignore this thread!

My current computer is a Lenova.  I've also had an HP, a Dell, Toshiba, Lenova Yoga.  The plugs always seem to go bad first, although dh and I are both capable of fixing most of those problems.   My really great, expensive HP had about a teaspoon of water dropped on it and it fried everything. 

Dh has a ThinkPad, ds has some really good gaming computer but I don't remember what, and dd has my mother's old Compaq but barely uses it.

I have 4 laptops and 2 desktops at the classroom now.   An HP, a really small Lenova, a Compaq, and a Toshiba.  I'm not sure about the desktops.  They're probably all different kinds of parts inside by now.   

Youngest Dd and I both have iPods but those are the only Apple products in this house.   Oldest dd has an iPhone but she's no longer in this house so she doesn't count.   All our phones are Android - Dh and I now have Galaxy S10's, ds has my oldest Galaxy S7, and youngest dd got whatever the old house phone was, I don't remember.  She doesn't even want a phone, she uses her iPod like a phone and talks to friends on it.

The kids each have the kids version Kindle Fire 8's with the amazing return policy.  No questions asked returns and we've done it at least twice for each of them.   We have them set up so they can get apps from Google Play Store so they use them for just about everything.   

I have a bunch of the Kindle Fire 7's in my classroom now (the ones that go on sale for $35).  I use them for Scratch Jr, my Sphero robots, and my Green Screen apps for classes.  

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, lots of little ducklings said:

Quick! Netflix or Prime series recommendations??  

Dh says nothing in German with subtitles.  And I say no end-times dramas.   So that rules out that end-times German one.  

Man in the high castle (Matt)

12 minutes ago, Where's Toto? said:

I couldn't imagine being pregnant at 79.   Why would you want to do that to yourself?  Ugh.

It was an oops. She had gone through menopause. It's rare but it happens.

Just now, lots of little ducklings said:

We watched Man in high castle for a while some time ago. I should see if any new seasons are out. 

My cousin’s #6 and #7 were both during menopause. #7 was born within days of her first grandchild.  

But at like 60, right? 60 is fairly young. 81 is not.

Just now, Jean in Newcastle said:

Dead?  81 isn’t THAT old. 

It is in my family. And I'm following the curve. My oldest relative was 69 and he was a wreck. I hope to be dead by 68. 81 is no.

Just now, lots of little ducklings said:

Oh yes... possibly younger than 60, though I don’t recall. But she  was in full-blown (well-established) menopause both times. 

I'm getting my tubes tied.

1 minute ago, lots of little ducklings said:

I’d be happy to find I’m pregnant again (44), but Dh would have a tough time adjusting to the idea. He’s 58. 

81 doesn’t seem all that old, but then again, potty training a toddler at 84 is a bit daunting.

And having a teen in your 90s.

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, Slache said:

I loved the only barn wedding I've ever been to.

All of my kids want to sleep in each others beds.

I harvested an old hardrive and should have a working computer by the time Matt needs it. I plan to convert our newly crashed HD to an EHD so I can access the content. So possibly a working computer with my work recovered for about $10.

I should do this as a side gig. I could have paid $400 for this. 

I understood none of this, other than you could have a lucrative at home job.

1 hour ago, Slache said:

Junie understands.

I'm glad someone does.

35 minutes ago, Slache said:

See!

That's horrifying. I love babies, but by 81 I want to be dead, not procreating.

Dead at 81??? I mean, I don't want to be having babies then either, but it's not that old. The oldest relative that we know of was "94" when she passed. It's in quotation marks. because I found an old census with her name on it, which made her more like 98 when she passed.

23 minutes ago, lots of little ducklings said:

I’d be happy to find I’m pregnant again (44), but Dh would have a tough time adjusting to the idea. He’s 58. 

81 doesn’t seem all that old, but then again, potty training a toddler at 84 is a bit daunting.

One of my preKer's dads was 65. I never said anything out loud, thankfully, but I thought it was his granddad. I was so glad I hadn't said anything out loud...

My mom and grandmother were pregnant at the same time. Mom with my middle sister, grandma with my youngest uncle. Her husband had never had kids, so this was the one. My middle sister is a month older than that uncle. Grandma was still pretty young at 47, and that was her 9th and last child.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Well, I come home and find y’all talking about geriatric pregnancy. 😂😂😂😂

So, it was hot today.

Then, we went to a bbq/Back Yard Movie Night. And the wind blew and blew and blew.

And we all froze watching the movie. I am glad I bought my cardigan. Now we have all the windows open and are trying to cool down the house.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Renai said:

I understood none of this, other than you could have a lucrative at home job.

I'm glad someone does.

Dead at 81??? I mean, I don't want to be having babies then either, but it's not that old. The oldest relative that we know of was "94" when she passed. It's in quotation marks. because I found an old census with her name on it, which made her more like 98 when she passed.

One of my preKer's dads was 65. I never said anything out loud, thankfully, but I thought it was his granddad. I was so glad I hadn't said anything out loud...

My mom and grandmother were pregnant at the same time. Mom with my middle sister, grandma with my youngest uncle. Her husband had never had kids, so this was the one. My middle sister is a month older than that uncle. Grandma was still pretty young at 47, and that was her 9th and last child.

I don't know my oldest relative.  My paternal grandparents were young 80's.  Grandpa had ALS.   My dad is still alive and 82, mom is 74.   A lot of mom's sisters and brothers made it to 80 but I think ALL of them were heavy smokers and drinkers when young (and still drinking at 80).

Dh used to get called the kids grandfather all the time.  He was 49 when ds was born and 51 for dd, so it's not like it wasn't possible.  His younger brother had adult grandchildren by that point.  

My oldest aunts and uncles were having kids at the same time my grandmother was.   Grandma had 9 kids that lived to adulthood.   My youngest aunt is the same age as dh and I have some cousins that are close to 10 years older than she is.

Edited by Where's Toto?
ETA: An old fogey booya
  • Like 5

Happy Sunday!  Dh will be coming home today.  His mother may still be in the hospital for another day or two.  

I finished planning all except two of my classes for the week.  I'll finish up those today, set up school, and plan tomorrow nights 4-H meeting.    I'm hoping to work on plans going forward a little bit at a time all week so I can get ahead of things.  A few classes are the same ones I did last year with just minimal tweaking so are pretty much done already.

Also on today's agenda - head to Staples for lab notebooks of some sort, the grocery store for some supplies for the week (I need milk and soda for classes), science center to clean out the cockroach tank.   I set my alarm for 7:30 so I would get up and could get going early.  Of course, Staples doesn't open until 10am on Sundays but I'll work on classes before I run out there.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Where's Toto? said:

I couldn't imagine being pregnant at 79.   Why would you want to do that to yourself?  Ugh.

I don't imagine it was on purpose!

My grandma got pregnant at fifty-five; she was in total shock--it was more than twenty five years since her last pregnancy. She miscarried, which is super common with pregnancy at that age.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Good morning. My mom is 94 and in great health. She is getting slightly fuzzy in her thinking though her humor is still razor sharp. 

My dad died at 92. His thinking was sharp but his body was in a lot of pain. He is with His Lord and Savior and is no longer in any pain. 

Edited by Jean in Newcastle
my mind is not razor sharp
  • Like 5

44 minutes ago, KrissiK said:

Good Morning!!!

COFFEE!!!!~D

Sunday!!!!!

Church!!!

Sportsball!!!

That’s it!!

The cool-down has begun. It’s supposed to be 11 degrees cooler today than yesterday. It is such a delightful morning, we have all the windows and doors open.

I wish it was the same for us. They copied the same forecast for the next ten days. Hot. Sunny. Dry, No rain. No cool down in sight.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Longevity in my family is mixed. My grandfathers are both gone but grandmothers are in their 90's; one lost her sight, that has been hard. Being old doesn't look fun.

My dad and his dad both got Parkinson's, also heart disease. One great grandfather had Alzheimer's. In general the women in my family have had better health.

Edited by maize
  • Like 3

I tried to sleep, but I couldn't because of the migraine.  I am now watching Sportsball to try to distract myself.  It seems to be working at the moment.

Ds19 is a huge football fan.  He has 2 roommates who root for his team's two biggest rivals.  Three roommates, three teams in the same division.  It's gonna be a fun year for them.  :)

• Like 4