Menu

Ignore this thread!

5 hours ago, Paradox5 said:

My lovely planner isn't working for me so I have been spending hours re-making the file into by child, weekly printable versions. It is a LOT more work than I thought. SIGH!

After giving the Hake writing lessons the old homeschool try, they die. The vote is back to CAP WR we go. We can't stand anything else. They will also have narration/summary assignments in history and science, too. (Narration is the same thing as a summary, right?)

A narration can be the same as a summary.  Or a narration can be a detailed retelling of a smaller passage, while a summary can be a succinct retelling of the major points of a longer passage in its entirety.  Imho.  (I'm not the narration police; just pointing out how they can be different depending on what you want.)  

• Like 5

Good morning!

Sounds like some naps are in order today!

Dh and dd21 left at dark o'clock to run a 5K in the Big City.  It's a fundraiser sponsored by dd21's university nursing department.  I am playing for a wedding at a farm venue way out in the boonies this evening.  I need to make a grocery list and head to Aldi in a bit. 

Coffee!

• Like 5

I"m sure I'll need a nap today.   Somehow I'm down to just two days before classes start and I still have a ton of work to do.   My goal has morphed from having all 8 weeks finalized to having the first week finalized and the next week enough so I can order supplies.   Why do I do this to myself?

• Like 5

Good morning.

I walked three miles, it was nice and cool out.

Kids have karate and tumbling--not ordinary for a Saturday, karate is a once a month team practice and tumbling is a makeup class.

I need to mow the lawn.

Also clean the house but I would much rather mow the lawn so the house will likely remain neglected.

Edited by maize
  • Like 5

Good Morning!!!

COFFEE!!!~D

Saturday!!!

DH and I got up early and took a bike ride this morning.  That was our goal when we got back from Family Camp in July to take a bike ride every Saturday morning. We got a good start at the beginning of August, but then missed 2 weeks. I was afraid we ‘d just quit, but we didn’t. Yay for us.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

I want lunch at Junie's house!!  Today meals here are all leftovers.

Lynn is so brave!  I was chatting with the manager at Aldi and she said she keeps a running online Walmart cart and when it gets to $50 she makes the purchase and they ship the things to her house free.  I'm assuming you can't do that with refrigerated or frozen items, but I might give it a try.  Still haven't tried the pick-up shopping option.

My shoulder was hurting like the dickens this morning.  I think it's probably rotator cuff pain - it flares up every once in a while, but it feels better now after some ibuprofin.  I wonder if one of my new exercises bothered it.

A few days ago Dd13 caught a caterpillar that was eating an acorn and this morning we discovered that it had made itself a little cocooon with the paper towel that was in the jar.  :smile:

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Slache said:

Breakfast for dinner?

We may possibly have had chicken sausage the last two nights (and Van's gf waffles one of them)... breakfast is already in regular rotation. I think I'm going to make peanut butter soup. I have broth in the freezer.

On 9/6/2019 at 3:23 PM, KrissiK said:

Our Dells have been wonderful. The only Apple products we own are iPads. Oh, and DH has an iPhone, The Kids and I all have Androids. 

I talk a lot about Macs. Funny, it's the only thing I own of Apple. I have no i-products; they cost too much.

On 9/6/2019 at 3:37 PM, Jean in Newcastle said:

I am doing a round-robin of decluttering/ putting away in three rooms.  But I really need to go down and start working in the Schoolroom of Doom at some point because the stuff I have left in two of the rooms really need to go down there.  But there is no room down there or rather there is, but everything is so disorganized down there that sticking stuff in there will mean that it is lost forever and I don't want that any more.  Maybe I can bribe myself to do one thing down in the Schoolroom of Doom.  If you don't hear from me within the next hour, send in a search team.  You might need a Cadaver Dog. . .

I understand this sentiment...

23 hours ago, Junie said:

Yep.  And the dc are also deficient in the compliment department.

I will say, though, that my favorite compliment was from a preschooler who declared, "Mom, you make the best Froot Loops ever!"

One of the first things I teach in my family time Spanish-meals class is how to compliment and help the cook. 😄 

19 hours ago, Susan in TN said:

For current computer hardware, HP, Asus, & Dell are the top 3 for reliability, in that order.  Our Dell was 4 years old when we got it second hand from dh's work about 6 years ago.  Still runs well, but we have two IT people in the family who do all the upkeep and updates (or not) and maintenance.  Dh and ds24 said we will get a Mac when hades freezes over.  :biggrin:  I expect that Macs are really good for some things, but I find my iPad and iPhone annoying enough that I wouldn't want to eliminate the PC.

Yes, Dells are only good if you know someone that can fix them for free (or have lots of money to throw at it). for the rest of humanity, they last less than 6 months. (humanity = my household) My main complaint is the plug. It loosens up and loses itself inside the computer. Fixing it costs as much as the computer. I did it myself once, but it just loosens back up and falls in again.  I can't work on a dead computer, and I can't charge it.

I also got a refurbished HP from a friend. It lasted about 3 months. It kept beeping, then it died.

I never have stupid problems with my Macs.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

13 minutes ago, Renai said:

I talk a lot about Macs. Funny, it's the only thing I own of Apple. I have no i-products; they cost too much.

I haven’t been aware of an Android equivalent to the iPad, and we love our iPads here. I don’t know why DH wanted an iPhone, but we have found that Apple products are more resistant to parental controls than androids. That’s one of the reasons we got our kids android phones (besides the price). It’s a lot easier to monitor their activities.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, KrissiK said:

I haven’t been aware of an Android equivalent to the iPad, and we love our iPads here. I don’t know why DH wanted an iPhone, but we have found that Apple products are more resistant to parental controls than androids. That’s one of the reasons we got our kids android phones (besides the price). It’s a lot easier to monitor their activities.

I definitely want an iPad as a mom tool for homeschooling. I have never had an iPhone and don't have a preference. I think if we got something for our kids it would be Kindle because of the price. Even if I had $5,000 to spend on tablets I wouldn't want to just because my children are feral. We have one family Samsung tablet that is fine. It has ANKI, Audible, Kindle etc.

• Like 3

I am glad that I took Juliet with me.  The socialization in a large crowd of milling people of various ages was really good for her.  She behaved well for the most part.  I had to watch carefully and coach people including adults in how to approach her but most people were really good at listening to me.  She didn't bark at anyone.  I did notice that she would start to freak if anyone went for her back because she couldn't see them and would startle but once I realized that and coached people not to do it, it was better.  She was petted by girl scouts, lots of venders, children and politicians.  Despite the candy snatching incident, I had a lot of people ask me if she was a therapy dog since they considered her very well behaved.  (I didn't consider her as well behaved as they did since I was working very hard the entire time to keep her that way.)

I had a lot of people asking me where I have been - camp has kept me out of the public eye this last year.  I might get more involved in the community next year once I am retired from homeschooling. 

It's a well-behaved booyah

Edited by Jean in Newcastle
  • Like 6

8 minutes ago, maize said:

I have not found a way to adequately protect tablet screens from breakage in my home.

Therefore we stick to cheap tablets like the Kindle fire.

See, this is what I envision. My freakishly mature kid takes it to the top bunk for memory work and Duolingo, but no one else touches it. I also let him use my paperwhite. Both are in cases.

• Like 2

Back from the Boondocks Barn Wedding.  It was very nice.  Weather was warm and somewhat humid (our sheet music was damp-floppy by the end), but we were in the shade, so not too bad.  I had to play a solo version of Amazing Grace WITH A BUG IN MY EAR!!!  Svengo.  Not sure how I survived that.  It didn't come out until the very end after we were pretty much done playing.  :blink:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Sad 2

I loved the only barn wedding I've ever been to.

All of my kids want to sleep in each others beds.

I harvested an old hardrive and should have a working computer by the time Matt needs it. I plan to convert our newly crashed HD to an EHD so I can access the content. So possibly a working computer with my work recovered for about $10.

I should do this as a side gig. I could have paid $400 for this. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2