Menu

Ignore this thread!

Susan, have fun at the zoo!  The elephants are my favorite!

I would love to take my kids to the zoo, but driving/parking in The Really Big City (in The Really Big Van) is a Really Big Nightmare.

Also, a trip to the zoo would have to involve a wheelchair or scooter for me.  😞

• Like 3

Morning.

I ate too much sugar and crappy, white, refined carbs last night and spent the whole night with joint and muscle pain.   I think I need to accept the fact that eating too much sugar and crappy, white, refined carbs leads to joint and muscle pain.   And stop doing it.  

Dh and the kids are away for the weekend (he does all the cooking which is why I resorted to convenience and crap) and then we are going to Cheesecake Factory for my birthday tomorrow, so I'm going to have to do some research and put some work in to eating better.  

Today I'm meeting someone at the science center who is interested in signing up for a camp or two.  I have to go feed Flop (the turtle) and spray the cockroaches, maybe do some cleaning.  Then the rest of this weekend I HAVE to set up the kids school.  At least a summer school level for next week.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, ThatBookwormMom said:

Yay for zoos and boo on headaches! 

I'n going to the grocery store alone with a Karin Slaughter audiobook. Her stuff is narrated by Kathleen Early, and the combination of the writing and the performing equals a truly enjoyable (if grisly) listening experience. It's strange that I'm so anti conflict in person, but really enjoy a good thriller, which almost always means violent.

I could go for a good thriller!  I'll see what they have at the library!

We are back from the zoo.  Usually we just do half of the zoo, but today we did the whole thing, even the 1800's farm .  (The family that owned the farm donated the land for the zoo, and they kept the house, barns, garden, and cemetery for people to visit.)  I have almost 10K steps so far.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

We are back from the zoo.  Usually we just do half of the zoo, but today we did the whole thing, even the 1800's farm .  (The family that owned the farm donated the land for the zoo, and they kept the house, barns, garden, and cemetery for people to visit.)  I have almost 10K steps so far.

You're back already?  Your zoo must be smaller than our zoo...

• Like 1

I am just now feeling better from this morning's migraine.  Better, but not *better*.  My head still hurts a bit, I'm sitting in a dark room, and I want to go back to bed.  I think I will after I hydrate a little.  Other than taking ds18 to work and a quick trip to the grocery store, I've been in bed most of the day.

So much for getting my house cleaned...

Also, I'm missing an activity with the Spanish church that I really wanted to go to. 😞

I know the ITT has a rule about dying which I am making sure to follow.  Is there a rule about whining?  I hope not. 😉

Thank you for letting me be real for a minute.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Junie said:

You're back already?  Your zoo must be smaller than our zoo...

Yes - probably much smaller, but very nice.  

11 minutes ago, Junie said:

Did you see elephants?!

They don't have elephants, but they do have giraffes and rhinos.  And an area where you can pet kangaroos if they are feeling friendly and come up to the path.  And new exhibits with tigers, Andean bears, and spider monkeys.  We hadn't seen those yet.  We also saw a show with birds and other animals and went on the zip line and the carousel twice.  I don't think I'll do the zip line again.  That was scary.

The only thing we didn't do was the big jungle play area.  We were all hot and tired and ready to go home.

Edited by Susan in TN
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

(((Junie)))  

Hugs for Junie Booyah!

This is the thread that never ends,
It just goes on and on my friends.
People started posting not knowing what it was,
And they will keep on posting here forever just because...

This is the thread that never ends
You'd best come join it with your friends
'Cuz it will replace Facebook as the latest web-based craze
And everyone will post here instead for the rest of their days

This is the thread that's always there
They'll cheer you up so don't despair
The group is growing well as more people start checking in
And we'll keep sucking them in because our cheer is addictive

It's better than a Mercedes Benz
It helps with coffee withdrawal and other troubles, too
Eighteen hundred pages of friends all cheering for you

This thread keeps going on and on
with record-setting length and fun
It started forty-eight months ago from curiosity
and all the fun and frolic has shown this is the place to be

This is the thread that never ends...
And the place where one finds special friends,
the kind that have hearts that are strong and true
Yes, ITT ladies, I am talking to you! 

Yeah, it's superior to other trends
Friends start out scratching their head in confusion, perhaps
But then the laughter strikes and they gratefully tip their caps... 

This is the thread that never ends....

Edited by Susan in TN
  • Like 4

I’m back!!! I missed you all, my friends. Next summer I want you all to come to family camp. It is the closest thing IRL to the Island. And bring your families. They’ll have a blast!! The camp is in the California coastal redwoods, the temps were perfect (low to mid 80’s) all afternoon, and delightfully cool at night. The food is good, there is something for everyone to do (high ropes course, crafts. Swimming pool,  climbing wall, basketball, a comfy cabin porch in the shade to read a book), the speakers were awesome, the music was awesome, we rode the train down to Santa Cruz Beach/Boardwalk on Wednesday. It was great.  

But I’m glad to be back home. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, ThatBookwormMom said:

Has anyone successfully crammed a month of dinners into a regular, top-of-the-fridge freezer? I'm thinking I might try to do this before Baby comes.

I have not been successful with a month of dinners, but I have found a system that works for me.

I cook and freeze only the main dish (meat) and then I can pair it with pasta, fries, veggies -- something fast.  This takes up a lot less room and still makes dinner manageable.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

I got too tired from fence building.  So I was going to order pizzas from the wood-fired pizza truck but apparently they are "closed" right now.  I hope, that doesn't mean permanently.  Instead, I found a frozen burrito in the freezer for me.  Everyone else is on their own.  It's a dog-eat-dog world out there. 

😱 Juliet! Puppy! Noooooooo!

• Haha 2

The heat wave broke! We're back in the low 80s with lots of rain. And my one cucumber plant has two flowers!

Also, dd11 will be baptized today, at her own insistance and with great sweetness. I will probably cry. What a good day!

• Like 6

12 minutes ago, elroisees said:

The heat wave broke! We're back in the low 80s with lots of rain. And my one cucumber plant has two flowers!

Also, dd11 will be baptized today, at her own insistance and with great sweetness. I will probably cry. What a good day!

Yay for cooler weather, cucumbers, and baptism.

• Like 1

I missed 24 hours of ITT, but I did not die!  And I've been busy handing out trophies to all of you for the amazing things you did yesterday!  Way to go!

I picked up 2nd oldest from Governor's Scholars yesterday.  He had an awesome 5 weeks!  So nice to have him back home!  Then we went to the wedding of a friend's dd in the afternoon.  Actually dh went to the wedding and I made it to the reception.  Everything was so beautiful - the reception hall, the bride, the mother of the bride - really beautiful.  (Okay, reception hall - they would laugh if they knew I called it that.  It's actually a gym, but they decorated with draped cloth and fairy lights until you thought it was an enchanted fairyland.  Beautiful!)  

Yay for finding camp craft supplies and not eating Juliet and fence building!  😱

Yay for cold spells, cucumbers, and baptism!

Yay for freezer delusions and cereal!  (Maybe crock pot meals would help???)

Yay for safe travels and the over-priced Rain Forest Cafe (lol)!

Okay, I'm forgetting a lot - museums, zoos, bugs, school plans, phone lines, baby names, and a few other things, I'm sure!

• Like 5

I'm home from a lovely family reunion. My parents, all nine of my siblings, and all the spouses and grandkids were there--in a isolated and peaceful valley in the mountains in Idaho. I spent hours every day in the swimming pool fed by a natural hot spring; chlorinated pools give me hives so I don't get to swim very often, but this pool was chemical free and constantly replenished by fresh water. We played ultimate Frisbee and had karaoke hours and just enjoyed hanging out together.

The only difficult bit was dh's depression flaring up, I had hoped some time in nature would be good for him but he spent most of the week in bed. I'm really, really hoping we get insurance approval for him to try TMS treatments.

• Like 8

Good Morning, Happy Sunday.  

Kids and dh are heading home this morning.  I actually have 99% of the laundry done.  There's one small bunch that's not even a full load or even probably half a load, that I decided to just leave until they got home with MORE LAUNDRY.     My clothes are all away, I have to put dh's clothes away and the kids do their own.  

At 10am I have to call for reservations for dinner tonight since our Cheesecake Factory only takes reservations within the first hour they are open for the day.   

From 1pm to 3pm today and tomorrow I'm heading over to hang-out at the science center since I have someone who is supposed to stop by and I opened it up to anyone else who wants to visit and check things out.  I don't know if anyone will come but since I have to be there anyway to feed animals, I figured why not.

So today's to-do list:  put away dh's laundry, lunch, head over to science center, dinner at Cheesecake Factory, crash.  Sounds like a plan.  

• Like 7

We have a meeting this afternoon for our church stake (organization of local congregations, like a diocese) in which congregational boundary adjustments will be announced. We live near the current boundary between two congregations ("wards") so I am curious to find out how the changes might affect us. They make adjustments every now and then to try to keep congregation sizes more or less even.

• Like 5

Morning. I just spent an hour cleaning and I want to go back to bed. It's just hot in the house. It's hotter outside, mind, and the boys really, really want to go boating and fishing, but I have to decide whether I want to spend another day in a sunnier spot in the heat just to give them an enjoyable morning. That, and I have a lot of revising to do. 

• Like 6

Good Morning!!!

COFFEE!!!!~D (I had to make my own this morning. 😩 No sweet young thing standing in the dining hall with COFFEE!!!~D pot in hand when I walked through the door)

Church!!

Nothing else planned for the day. Just resting up from a busy week, laundry and trying to organize my life. I’m going to hit the ground running tomorrow. The two olders  start school in a couple of weeks, next weekend is a huge Family Reunion for my dad’s side and I am on the committee, I have a ton to do for work, and I really need to do a better job planning out the little girls’ school year.

• Like 4

41 minutes ago, maize said:

We have a meeting this afternoon for our church stake (organization of local congregations, like a diocese) in which congregational boundary adjustments will be announced. We live near the current boundary between two congregations ("wards") so I am curious to find out how the changes might affect us. They make adjustments every now and then to try to keep congregation sizes more or less even.

So there is a chance you will need to attend a different congregation??

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ThatBookwormMom said:

So Duane as a first name is the frontrunner right now. It's not my favorite, but I do get to pick tue middle name if I agree, which means I can use Laurence (which Dave doesn't like) in honor of my mother, Lauraine. She's still with us, but deteriorating. I'd really like to name our last child after her. Name options agreeable to bith of us so far:

Duane Laurence

Duane Scott

Levi Duane

Duane Laurence is nice. The syllables and accents work together.

• Like 2

Friday I called the Cheesecake Factory to ask if they take reservations.  I was told they take reservations during the first hour they open.  So I asked "so you only take reservations for breakfast, right after you open?" and was told "no, we'll take calls during that first hour", so I said "so if I call during the first hour you're open on Sunday, I can make reservations for Sunday dinner?" and was told "yes".   So I called this morning and was told that they only do reservations for the first hour they are open, for breakfast each day.  🤨 I even told the girl that I had specifically asked about that but evidently the person I spoke to on Friday misunderstood.  

We are going to be a party of 6 and with this Cheesecake Factory being at the mall, they are always crowded.  We're going to be waiting FOREVER.   

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

8 hours ago, elroisees said:

That’s awesome. My 13 year old DD is nervous about baptism. We are hoping she changes her mind soon.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Another Lynn said:

I missed 24 hours of ITT, but I did not die!  And I've been busy handing out trophies to all of you for the amazing things you did yesterday!  Way to go!

I picked up 2nd oldest from Governor's Scholars yesterday.  He had an awesome 5 weeks!  So nice to have him back home!  Then we went to the wedding of a friend's dd in the afternoon.  Actually dh went to the wedding and I made it to the reception.  Everything was so beautiful - the reception hall, the bride, the mother of the bride - really beautiful.  (Okay, reception hall - they would laugh if they knew I called it that.  It's actually a gym, but they decorated with draped cloth and fairy lights until you thought it was an enchanted fairyland.  Beautiful!)  

Yay for finding camp craft supplies and not eating Juliet and fence building!  😱

Yay for cold spells, cucumbers, and baptism!

Yay for freezer delusions and cereal!  (Maybe crock pot meals would help???)

Yay for safe travels and the over-priced Rain Forest Cafe (lol)!

Okay, I'm forgetting a lot - museums, zoos, bugs, school plans, phone lines, baby names, and a few other things, I'm sure!

I’m being bad and not even trying to ketchup.😘

• Like 2