Menu

Ignore this thread!

11 hours ago, myblessings4 said:

Good morning!  It's hmph day!  Getting ready for work.  We're going out to eat with friends for supper.  

What is everyone's favorite individually wrapped chocolate/treat?  I usually choose individually wrapped because then I can eat just a couple, and I want some new ideas.

Ghiardelli Dark Chocolate with caramel or sea salt caramel.

Lindor Truffles

Ritter Sport Dark Chocolate with Hazelnuts.

I generally like dark chocolate with nuts or caramel or other stuff in it.  I don't like plain chocolate.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Renai said:

I have to have an About the Author write-up by the end of today and I don't know what to say about myself.

2 hours ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Renai has been teaching bilingual education for _____ years.  She loves gardening and teaching.  She has a (how old now?) daughter who is graduated and a (how old now?) daughter who is being homeschooled. 

27 minutes ago, JoJosMom said:

About the Author:  So.Freaking.Awesome.

And: Mind like a Steel Trap.  Icon Queen and Head Elephant Ninja.

#felpful

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

Did camp today with one student.   Tomorrow I have a workshop.   Dh is heading down to his mom's for the weekend and might take the kids to go to the beach.  Someone has to stay home with the dog so we can't all go.    Next week I may have jury duty so no camps or workshops.  I will be working on the kids school so they WILL have school next week.    Also thinking about strongly encouraging ds to get back into tkd.  He needs more exercise and with dd going four days a week, it's harder to find time to take him somewhere else (even if he had somewhere else he wanted to be).

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Junie said:

Oh, and speaking of your book, Renai:

Dh just handed it to me because it came in the mail today!!!!

Awesome! Which one...? 🙃 I hope it's helpful, and feel free to give me feedback on anything you find helpful or need more help on. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Renai said:

Awesome! Which one...? 🙃 I hope it's helpful, and feel free to give me feedback on anything you find helpful or need more help on. 

28 Days to Family Language Learning.

I'm hoping to read it this weekend.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Junie said:

28 Days to Family Language Learning.

I'm hoping to read it this weekend.

If you're on FB, check out some of my lives from this month. We are the last week of the Challenge, and I had some tips and a few freebies. 😃

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Renai said:

If you're on FB, check out some of my lives from this month. We are the last week of the Challenge, and I had some tips and a few freebies. 😃

I'm not on Facebook, but I think I might be able to access it.  Thanks!

• Like 3

It's too stupid hot. It's 100 Fahrenheit, and supposed to peak at 104. We're in an area where almost no one has ac, not even most stores. Our dentist rescheduled all the appointments. Our library is closed until Tuesday. Not good.

However, we have these awesome rolladens. They're metal doors that roll down over all the windows and keep the hot light out. And we bought a little used ac unit for our bedroom. Thanks to Jean's saga, it's sitting on a large rimmed baking sheet in case it wets. 

I'm just venting here because no one here wants to hear any more about it. 😛

I'll be at the pool for the duration of the day. 

• Like 6

9 hours ago, Renai said:

I still haven't written my About the Author. Maybe if I pretend I'm writing about someone else...like Jean!

It actually helps a lot to pretend you are writing about someone else...like Jean! 

I hate writing bios. They always make me feel strange, and I always think I've either written too much that is silly (read interesting) or nothing fun at all (read professional). I've done a few here and there, but they always feel off to me in some way, even when they actually aren't all that bad.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, elroisees said:

It's too stupid hot. It's 100 Fahrenheit, and supposed to peak at 104. We're in an area where almost no one has ac, not even most stores. Our dentist rescheduled all the appointments. Our library is closed until Tuesday. Not good.

However, we have these awesome rolladens. They're metal doors that roll down over all the windows and keep the hot light out. And we bought a little used ac unit for our bedroom. Thanks to Jean's saga, it's sitting on a large rimmed baking sheet in case it wets. 

I'm just venting here because no one here wants to hear any more about it. 😛

I'll be at the pool for the duration of the day. 

Wow!  That’s crazy hot!  Especially without a/c!  I guess that’s atypical for your area?

Good morning!

Did you get your write-up done, Renai?

I don't have to go anywhere today, so dh has convinced me to be as couch potatoey as possible to give my heel a rest.  I have done a few things this morning and have a couple more things to work on.  I have quite a bit of planning I can do sitting down.  Then this afternoon if college roommate doesn't come, dd20 can help me make my first freezer meal - sweet potato coconut curry - which we will also have for dinner.  I need to register my kids for the new school year by next week so I can get started on that at some point.  I don't think I'll be getting my steps in today.

Coffee!

Edited by Susan in TN
  • Like 2

Hi.

I don't want to swim in the sea. Anyone want to tell me if it's possible to homeschool high school for several high achievers without breaking the bank or losing your mind? I have no desire to be a drill sergeant or lead teacher in more than maybe 1-2 subjects at this point. Baby alternates between being a maniac wannabe stuntman and a koala attached to my hip so he would be distracting all day. 

I priced classes for 1 and it's running about $3000 before I add in electives! I know that's cheap compared to private school, but we don't want to pay for that either. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Paige said:

Hi.

I don't want to swim in the sea. Anyone want to tell me if it's possible to homeschool high school for several high achievers without breaking the bank or losing your mind? I have no desire to be a drill sergeant or lead teacher in more than maybe 1-2 subjects at this point. Baby alternates between being a maniac wannabe stuntman and a koala attached to my hip so he would be distracting all day. 

I priced classes for 1 and it's running about $3000 before I add in electives! I know that's cheap compared to private school, but we don't want to pay for that either. 

I only have one and rely heavily on the Bank of Nana, so no direct help here. BUT I would strongly suggest that you search out 8 Fill The Heart's posts. I think that she will help enormously.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, Paige said:

Hi.

I would definitely call this a sea worthy voyage. So many brilliant minds here that you don't want to miss. 

Dual enrollment, Great Courses Plus, High School Board. Check the pinned threads before you post.

• Like 2

Renai, I completed the first steps of the language challenge -- picking a language and picking a time!

We have been kind of playing with Spanish and French here.  I know a little bit of each, but much more Spanish than French.  Dd11 said that she wanted to learn French and dd8 wanted to learn Spanish, so we've been speaking a little of both.  I talked to dd11 this morning and she is perfectly fine with switching to Spanish, so hurray for that!   I still want to learn French, but it is officially on the back burner for now.

I also chose a time for the language learning -- while I am making dinner, and only with dd11 and dd8.  If the other kids are having their turn as my helpers, then I will speak in English with them as they are not interested in learning Spanish at this time.  Dd16 *might* be -- I haven't had a chance to talk with her about it yet; however, she is only going to be here for one more year before she's off to college, and she's not here very much at dinner time because of work.  (Dd14 has learned quite a bit of sign language, but that's a little harder to practice while you're cooking. 😉  ).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Another Lynn said:

Wow!  That’s crazy hot!  Especially without a/c!  I guess that’s atypical for your area?

It is! We made the news as hottest town in Germany yesterday.  And by Sunday it will be back in the high 70s. Craziness. 

ETA, booyah?

Edited by elroisees
Thread protocol
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, elroisees said:

It is! We made the news as hottest town in Germany yesterday.  And by Sunday it will be back in the high 70s. Craziness. 

ETA, booyah?

No, it's BOOYA.

But we'll cut you some slack, being as how you're a bit of a rookie. 🙂

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Paige said:

Hi.

It really depends on what you mean by high achievers and on what kind of learners they are.  Dd (going to be a high school senior this year) has done all her high school with me with no outsourcing.  But I am not a drill sergeant or a lead teacher for her.  I am there to answer questions and to direct her to resources that can help her out of holes.  With ds (graduated homeschool high school a couple of years ago and now in college out of state where he is on the Dean's List) we only outsourced a couple of things - Algebra 2, Physics and got tutors for Latin 3 and for problem spots in math and science (same tutor). 

• Like 5

5 hours ago, myblessings4 said:

Good morning!  Getting ready for work!  I already folded a load of laundry, cleaned leftovers out of the fridge,let chickens out and fed them, and loaded and started the dishwasher.  More stuff to do tonight, plus I need to make a shopping list and run errands.  Two more sleeps til Dallas!

Why didn't I meet these chickens when I was visiting???

4 hours ago, Susan in TN said:

Good morning!

Did you get your write-up done, Renai?

Coffee!

Ummm....no....

3 hours ago, JoJosMom said:

I wrote it for you. Did you miss it? Or are you telling me that I stink as a writer?

Ummm...no...

However, like others (except for Jean's), it was quite unfelpful. 😅

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

This afternoon I meet Pink and Green Mom from my tackle threads for coffee downtown in the Big City. 

Luckeeeeeeee!

Shhh.  Don't let Susan hear you!  She'll make us sit on the couch and hold hands. . . . 

That's exactly what was going through my head... :laugh:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Junie said:

Renai, I completed the first steps of the language challenge -- picking a language and picking a time!

We have been kind of playing with Spanish and French here.  I know a little bit of each, but much more Spanish than French.  Dd11 said that she wanted to learn French and dd8 wanted to learn Spanish, so we've been speaking a little of both.  I talked to dd11 this morning and she is perfectly fine with switching to Spanish, so hurray for that!   I still want to learn French, but it is officially on the back burner for now.

I also chose a time for the language learning -- while I am making dinner, and only with dd11 and dd8.  If the other kids are having their turn as my helpers, then I will speak in English with them as they are not interested in learning Spanish at this time.  Dd16 *might* be -- I haven't had a chance to talk with her about it yet; however, she is only going to be here for one more year before she's off to college, and she's not here very much at dinner time because of work.  (Dd14 has learned quite a bit of sign language, but that's a little harder to practice while you're cooking. 😉  ).

Yay! It all starts with that first step!

We started Mandarin Morning (breakfast time) only knowing how to say, "You like [insert English word]?" In fact, before I started Mandarin Morning, all that stuck with me was "left" and "right," so that is the only way I gave directions. So, I definitely believe in starting where you are. 

Oooh, cooking. A lot of good vocabulary there. In the appendix of the book, that is the one part of meal time I did not provide dialogues for. Sorry! I do teach cooking terminology in the meal time class though.  I'm thinking of expanding that book section and putting out a new version of the book. I can add cooking dialogues. And add the list of sample meal time activities that my FB followers have access to. I've also created a 28 day calendar that I'd like to provide to book purchasers. I haven't figured out how to do that though. 

As your Spanish routine gets established (after 28 days), you can add French in an entirely different routine (nothing to do with meals). Gymnast surprised me the other day by saying she misses German, and wants to do that again 😐. I used to do German during our morning wake up routine. And...I'm pretty sure I've forgotten every bit of it. So I'll be starting back at square 1 on the next go round.

• Like 3

I need to get serious about starting a language with my kids.  We've done pieces in the past but never stuck with it for long.  Ds is starting high school so I feel like we need to get serious.  Probably Spanish since fil is from Puerto Rico and it's definitely the most useful around here.

Did a workshop today for someone who won it at a Tricky Tray or somewhere.  Kids weren't great listeners and one was really out of control, but it still went okay.   Now I'm done with classes, camps, workshops, etc until August 5th.  Next week I may have Jury Duty but other than that it's cleaning and planning.  School and science classes.

• Like 5