Menu

Ignore this thread!

55 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

I have 5" left to go in medical bills. I can do this.  I am going to make myself, because if I do this I won't feel guilty about not having yet done this.

Any other twisted logic I can apply to this situation, because it is ugly and boring?!!

I don’t use logic. I use bribes. And games. Something like three chocolate chips for each medical bill dealt with. Or see how much I can get done before one of my Spotify songs is over. 

• Like 3

Are we starting school next week?  Hmmmm.  I'm gonna say no.

I gave myself the day off today and did (almost) nothing but what appealed to me at the time.  I did some paperwork for dd16's application for the Japan exchange and put a couple dishes in the dishwasher and cared for some sick kids.  Otherwise, I loafed.  And bought a piece of exercise equipment which may or may not be worthwhile.  Also, in Slachey Style, I am considering an attempt of 2019 burpees in 2019.  They will have to start out severly modified.  I might need Slache's countdown app also.

My blood pressure at the clinic this morning was 128/86.  According to the interwebs, that's not good.  Maybe it's lower when I'm not sick?

• Like 2

Dh took dd to swim.  i've started laundry and hit a couple dusty spots that were driving me nuts everytime I looked at them.  I'll vacuum later.  I'm hoping ds and I will work more on the great kitchen purge of 2018 while it's still 2018.  We'll see.... 

Speaking of cleaning, do any of you have cleaning tools from Fly Lady?  If so, did they make a difference?  I have some of her micro fiber rags, but they are no better than others we got at the AFSA.  I also have a couple rubba scrubbas which I like (not that they make me clean more often, lol.)  My cheapo duster thingy  (for quick dusting) is not that great.  I wondered if hers were better.  Yes, I'm rambling about cleaning supplies to procrastinate cleaning..... 

• Like 4

Morning.  Tea and oatmeal (instant) for breakfast.   Need to run errands this morning before the banks close at noon, so one cup of tea is all I"m going to get.

More laundry, cleaning, and some planning on today's agenda.  And taking the tree down I think.  Dh is in the garage finding the ornament bins right now.

• Like 4

Last night I decorated the stairs. I think my Christmas decorating is finally finished. Woohoo. I finished most of the cleaning upstairs, including vacuuming under the beds. 😮

Friends visiting today. Mr. Ellie will be off until Wednesday. That is all.

Happy weekend, ITT!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

We are out of butter, aluminum foil, and coffee filters.  :sad:

So Angi and Lynn and probably Junie are talking about real cleaning.  I was mostly just hoping to clear a path through the post-road trip disaster.  :laugh:

Really, though, I should have higher aspirations.  There is a large pile of stuff, mostly not mine, in the basement that I would love to clear out if I can get some assistance.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Good morning! I ordered my journal cover and a pair of pants because my only pair have a rip down the center of the right thigh. So I think I'm about to have new pants and have shrunk into a new skirt someone decided they didn't want and will have 2 new pieces of clothing which hasn't happened to me since my first pregnancy. Adulthood is boring and expensive.

2 hours ago, Junie said:

Good Morning!

Happy Saturday!!

Let's clean up the house today, shall we?

No.

48 minutes ago, Ellie said:

Last night I decorated the stairs. I think my Christmas decorating is finally finished. Woohoo. I finished most of the cleaning upstairs, including vacuuming under the beds. 😮

Yay! Now you're ready for 2019!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Susan in TN said:

We are out of butter, aluminum foil, and coffee filters.  :sad:

So Angi and Lynn and probably Junie are talking about real cleaning.  I was mostly just hoping to clear a path through the post-road trip disaster.  :laugh:

Really, though, I should have higher aspirations.  There is a large pile of stuff, mostly not mine, in the basement that I would love to clear out if I can get some assistance.

The *probably* made me laugh.

Also, define "real cleaning".  😉

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

So, dh and I discussed the new rules we're going to implement for the new year.  Partially because we think they'll help in dealing with ds's anxiety, partially because things have fallen apart with opening the science center and some family issues that have occurred in the past few months.  Mainly they center around screen time.

No screens until school and chores are done (chores include straightening up rooms, emptying dishwasher, folding their own laundry and putting it away, and vacuuming)
If you get on screens and school and chores weren't done, no screens the next day.    

No screens after 8pm.  We can play board games, they can read or draw or whatever, but no screens.

That's basically it.  Right now the rule is computer and video games only from 4 to 7 (when they are home during those times, may have Y or TKD or other things), but then other screens are allowed before/after that.  They keep questioning why computer and video games are worse than other screens, when the other screens are watching youtube or drawing on tablets, and they both draw on their computers so it's more creative.  So, I'm lumping all screens together, but shutting them down earlier in the evening in the hopes of better sleep.  All lights out at 10pm.

• Like 3

Okay, to be completely honest, I could continue to do laundry, clean off my desk and the kitchen table, maybe even work on the kids rooms.   I really could.  But I'm still sick too so I don't want to do too much and take a turn for the worse.  That's a good excuse right?  I'm doing the mental chores - planning school, classes and deciding how I want to organize things.  That counts!

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Where's Toto? said:

Does anyone know where the long list of co-op classes is?  I tried to search but it's not coming up.  I'm doing tentative plans for next year and summer camps and I remember some really good suggestions on that list. 

Co-op classes?  Or online classes?  The online class list is a sticky on the Gen. Ed. board. 

I forgot to mention that I'd had another nightmare walk last night. Very strange to have it two nights in a row.

1 hour ago, Where's Toto? said:

So, dh and I discussed the new rules we're going to implement for the new year.  Partially because we think they'll help in dealing with ds's anxiety, partially because things have fallen apart with opening the science center and some family issues that have occurred in the past few months.  Mainly they center around screen time.

No screens until school and chores are done (chores include straightening up rooms, emptying dishwasher, folding their own laundry and putting it away, and vacuuming)
If you get on screens and school and chores weren't done, no screens the next day.    

No screens after 8pm.  We can play board games, they can read or draw or whatever, but no screens.

That's basically it.  Right now the rule is computer and video games only from 4 to 7 (when they are home during those times, may have Y or TKD or other things), but then other screens are allowed before/after that.  They keep questioning why computer and video games are worse than other screens, when the other screens are watching youtube or drawing on tablets, and they both draw on their computers so it's more creative.  So, I'm lumping all screens together, but shutting them down earlier in the evening in the hopes of better sleep.  All lights out at 10pm.

We (8yo & I) have anxiety, too. Our routine is morning time > chores (mom preps school) > seatwork > physical activity and showers > snacks and 30 minutes of screen > any remaining school. I'm not suggesting you put screens in your day, just saying the physical stuff (chores, workout) in between seated sessions goes well here.

32 minutes ago, Another Lynn said:

I never do "real" cleaning!  I did light dusting, balanced checkbook, paid bills (took longer than it sounds), and put them in the mail, cleaned out two kitchen cabinets, got a couple loads of laundry going, took a bunch of misc. stuff upstairs. 

Oh, and I changed the vacuum bag. But I still need to vacuum. 

Don't you sometimes wish that it would rain inside so you didn't have to clean?

• Confused 1

14 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Co-op classes?  Or online classes?  The online class list is a sticky on the Gen. Ed. board. 

It was definitely co-op classes.  Lots of suggestions for high interest things.  I know one was an American Girl book club.  That's all I remember.

7 minutes ago, Slache said:

I forgot to mention that I'd had another nightmare walk last night. Very strange to have it two nights in a row.

We (8yo & I) have anxiety, too. Our routine is morning time > chores (mom preps school) > seatwork > physical activity and showers > snacks and 30 minutes of screen > any remaining school. I'm not suggesting you put screens in your day, just saying the physical stuff (chores, workout) in between seated sessions goes well here.

Don't you sometimes wish that it would rain inside so you didn't have to clean?

Ours will look something like:  chores (while we're home), schoolwork (at the science center), screens (at the science center), science class (at the center), screens (while I clean up or do other classes), physical activity (at the Y or TKD in the evening), screens, games and/or reading until bed.  With some variation since they aren't at the science center with me every day.

We had a leaky roof the other day so it "rained" inside.  It didn't help.  😂🤣

• Haha 2

Ds came to me for "research" on a college paper he's writing on intercultural coping techniques.  Ds, dd and I had a great time reminiscing about our trip to the Philippines and how we dealt with cultural differences.  (Of course we were already a intercultural half Filipino family so not everything there was new to us).  The kids remembered some things I didn't, and I was able to provide a broader context to some of their memories. 

Edited by Jean in Newcastle
spelling
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

22 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Ds came to me for "research" on a college paper he's writing on intercultural coping techniques.  Ds, dd and I had a great time reminiscing about our trip to the Philippines and how we dealt with cultural differences.  (Of course we were already a intercultural half Filipino family so not everything there was new to us).  The kids remembered some things I didn't, and I was able to provide a broader context to some of their memories. 

Mine, I would have loved to sit and listen in on that conversation!

19 minutes ago, myblessings4 said:

Are none of y'all putting peroxide in your ears when you start getting sick this year?

We're out. Thanks for the reminder.

• Like 3

Just now, Where's Toto? said:

Is this a thing?  I've heard of it for earaches, but is it a thing for general sickiness?  Tell me more!

It's an old WWII thing - they believed some viruses could enter your sinuses through the ears - so every couple of hours you put a capful of peroxide in each ear for 3 or 4 minutes to kill the virus.  I've found it to be helpful in shortening the length of illness, anecdotally, at least.

Dh asked Alexa to play classic rock.  A non-classic rock song came on, so we yelled at her to be more accurate.  She was confused.  Then dh got into a discussion about whether you could include "Piano Man" in the classic rock genre.  I officially hate that thing.

Dude. It's Piano Man. It's classic. Full stop.

Did you know that one kiwi has 120% of the RDA of vitamin C?

Yes. I keep them around all winter, despite their price.

All of my Christmas decorations are packed away in the shop. Go, me.

Oh, wait. I didn't decorate this year. Me sucketh.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, JoJosMom said:

Dude. It's Piano Man. It's classic. Full stop.

Yes. I keep them around all winter, despite their price.

All of my Christmas decorations are packed away in the shop. Go, me.

Oh, wait. I didn't decorate this year. Me sucketh.

I agree that Piano Man is a classic pop rock song.  That still is under the classic rock umbrella.

Stop talking about yourself like that.  Your daughter had major surgery.  Be kind to yourself. 

Edited by Jean in Newcastle
spelling
  • Like 3

I finally vacuumed. And then discovered that the bag was installed poorly. Then got the other vacuum out to vacuum the vacuum. Then vacuumed more. Dh took down tree, took trash and is going to the grocery. 

JJM. You're actually the smartest one. I don't decorate at all.  So you're as brilliant - or moreso - than I am.  

• Like 3

I am on a roll this vacation.  I went through two tote bags of camp materials from 2017.  Some materials were tossed, some filed, some bagged with like craft materials for future camps.  Some papers that somehow got tossed in the bags as well got filed or shredded.  Lately whenever I do filing, I am also doing a bit of extra shredding to make room in my filing boxes.  Today I shredded Rocky's paperwork (deceased two years ago) and Bailey's (deceased this past summer).  It took me just over an hour, so I don't know why it took me a year and a half to do.  Actually I do know why - in the past it took all my energy and then some to just keep up with the absolute necessities of life - which is why I have tote bags and boxes of stuff to go through that date much older than 2017.  I am working backwards. 

• Like 4