Menu

Ignore this thread!

Since I have nothing to do, outside the house, this week, I'll be working on the homeschool "manual" for our statewide group. It won't be that big a book, because there are already boatloads of books written about how to homeschool and what to do when you're homeschoolng and why you should be doing it in the first place and all that stuff. But it will be a good place to start.

• Like 3

• Replies 216.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Slache

• Susan in TN

• Jean in Newcastle

• KrissiK

43 minutes ago, Critterfixer said:

I don't like that I am losing character voice and significant visual elements with the cuts and rewrites. I love fiddling with it,  but I feel I am doing as much harm as good. 

Critter, you never responded when I said that you should just cut your book into two, if possible.  Don't lose character voice and significant visual elements! 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Critter, you never responded when I said that you should just cut your book into two, if possible.  Don't lose character voice and significant visual elements! 

Not possible, unfortunately. But now, I won't lose voice and visual elements if I can at all help it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I went with the "minus science" school schedule today because I just don't have it in me to teach a BFSU lesson right now. Drank a little coffee, haven't found it to be much help yet, but that's potentially just because it's keeping me steady at "not passing out" level of fatigue. Have to teach a lesson at 3pm, and another at 6pm, and figure out dinner in between. How is it already the afternoon?!

Keeping my eye on Prime Day, but nothing's catching it yet ? 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Another Lynn said:

Hi kids. I'm home. Swim meet since 7am. Did I forget to tell you? Now I'm sitting outside in the rain giving the dogs some play time. Very. Peaceful. Except for the "baby" wanting me to play tug o war with him. 

We don't pay attention.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Another Lynn said:

Hi kids. I'm home. Swim meet since 7am. Did I forget to tell you? Now I'm sitting outside in the rain giving the dogs some play time. Very. Peaceful. Except for the "baby" wanting me to play tug o war with him. 

I want to sit outside in the rain. Alone. Maybe with some dogs. I'm not a "doggy" person. I'm a cat person.  I just want to be alone.

• Like 3

Just now, Jean in Newcastle said:

There is a raging debate among Filipinos as to whether to check the "Asian" box on forms or the "Pacific Islander".  Ds identifies as Asian and White.  Dd identifies as Pacific Islander and White.  It's complicated. . .  (And yes, I know why each group in the debate holds to their position.) 

Try being both Hispanic and white. You're options are white/not Hispanic or Hispanic/not white. Ummm? No?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

There is a raging debate among Filipinos as to whether to check the "Asian" box on forms or the "Pacific Islander".  Ds identifies as Asian and White.  Dd identifies as Pacific Islander and White.  It's complicated. . .  (And yes, I know why each group in the debate holds to their position.) 

Be aware that for college scholarship purposes, there are different implications. 

I'm scrambling through boxes trying to find ds's hand me downs for church clothes.  Younger ds's dress slacks are about 3 inches too short, and I want to make sure we have suitable clothing on hand.  Older ds can barely squeeze into his suit jacket.  They are both growing so much that keeping them fed and clothed is a full time job.

Ugh. I really need to hit the thrift shops tonight or tomorrow and see if I can luck into some good clothes for them.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Slache said:

What do you do if your parents/in laws are too toxic to have in your home but cannot afford assisted living?

You are not obligated to support them in Texas or Washington State. They can apply for Medicaid and deal.

Speaking of Texas.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Slache said:

What do you do if your parents/in laws are too toxic to have in your home but cannot afford assisted living?

19 minutes ago, Tsuga said:

You are not obligated to support them in Texas or Washington State. They can apply for Medicaid and deal.

Speaking of Texas.

Yep.  (Or find another relative who will take them in.)

• Like 1

We had a ministry for a number of years at a low income assisted living facility subsidized by the government.  It wasn't the fanciest but all needs were met and then some.  It was a safe and comfortable place to live with social workers, nurses, aides etc. who really cared about the residents.  Residents had to be disabled or elderly and had to meet some financial need guidelines.  (We didn't actually work for the facility.  I guess you could say that we volunteered there.)

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, Critterfixer said:

I flunked the rewrite. Cried about it. Will regroup and work on it later.

Maybe because the draft before the rewrites was so good?  I know the editor possibly has market reasons for wanting more of this and less of that, but I'm imagining your manuscript like a Rembrandt and she's asking you to make it a Van Gogh.  Maybe you should keep your Rembrandt.  

signed, a friend who knows nothing about writing fiction, but hates to see you suffer and wonders if it's beneficial.....  ❤️

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I found hand me down dress clothes, including shoes, for younger ds in a box.  Both girls are taken care of.  Just need to work on older ds now.  

Query:  It's x family's custom to take portraits at funerals. (I think we discussed this a few years ago at the last funeral).  I have a standard black dress I've been wearing for 10 years now. Do I need to get a new dress?  I don't think I'm headed to a funeral this week, but I get the feeling that I need to be prepared.

7 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

I found hand me down dress clothes, including shoes, for younger ds in a box.  Both girls are taken care of.  Just need to work on older ds now.  

Query:  It's x family's custom to take portraits at funerals. (I think we discussed this a few years ago at the last funeral).  I have a standard black dress I've been wearing for 10 years now. Do I need to get a new dress?  I don't think I'm headed to a funeral this week, but I get the feeling that I need to be prepared.

No.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, KrissiK said:

I have a headache.

I sabotaged my low-carb eating plan with fresh made chocolate chip banana bread.

That is okay. Health is long game and constant improvement and forgiveness is the best strategy. Did you do better than yesterday? Are you able to believe in yourself for tomorrow?

• Like 1