Menu

Ignore this thread!

I have planned school for this semester and filled my Amazon cart and paid for homeschool group membership. Now to snack or nap??? Can't decide.

Small snack, then nap.  Just don't combine the two -- don't snap.

Ugh. Remembered to check the front door. The upstairs neighbors have either been leaving it open, or just not locked, and the wind blows it open. Went and locked it. That should help. Hopefully. Either way, grrrr. Since they're upstairs neighbors, they benefit from all our heat rising. They turned their heat on a month after we did, it seemed (not 100% sure, but we noticed them fiddling with the heater in the basement about a month after we turned ours on, and this is their first winter in this house as well, so, there's a decent chance they were just trying to figure it out and stuff). 

• Like 2

So I'm just going to get this off of my chest.  Yesterday at the extended family Christmas, the cousins and ds got together to get the helicopter flying lesson that I mentioned yesterday.  They billed it as a birthday present for dd (who had a birthday two weeks ago).  They got nothing for ds.  Which is ok.  Technically they didn't get a Christmas present for dd either.  But the thing is they never ever give ds a birthday present either.  I know that it is because ds is socially awkward (Aspie) even though he tries really hard and dd is quiet but socially adept.  What sucked even more is that ds worked really hard for two weeks on those Lichtenberg Figure ornaments for all of them.  I'm not sure if Ds noticed since he hasn't said anything but he's not dumb.  I just want to rap some people upside the head. 

It's a Mama Bear Booyah. 

:grouphug:  :grouphug:   Well I value those ornaments he made, and I think he's a keeper!  Their loss if they don't see that.

Have you shared a picture of the results of his efforts?  If you haven't, any chance you could?  I'm really interested in how they turned out!

• Like 1

I'm freezing, too. Don't know why. Didn't sleep. Finished reading The Little Country. It was okay. Not enough hard magic in it to suit me. But the craft was good and I'm always impressed with parallel plots. 

Now I'm off to walk dogs in the cold. Surely that will make the house seem warmer.

Jean--that would have hurt my heart, too. 

• Like 2

I'm cold. I tried to put plastic insulation on a drafty window in the kitchen yesterday, but the tape in one corner kept coming loose. Probably should duct tape it, but that will leave residue on the walls. Anyway, that window is really drafty (hadn't realized how drafty before since it's next to the fridge), and the window next to it is also sorta drafty, and some other windows/doors are not great either, and it's 11F feels like -8F or something and I keep turning the thermostat up higher and higher but I'm still cold. I think I've turned it up 2 degrees in the past 24 hours. And then kids are harassing me about being bored, but I'm too cold to go fiddle with new stuff, and the stuff I suggested (games we could play, etc) was turned down as boring. Maybe we should do more school. 

:grouphug:  :grouphug:   I agree -- more school is an option. 

At Grandma's house when grandkids announce they are bored they get handed a dust rag and assigned a place to tackle.  If they complain in Aunt AMJ's hearing they get a toilet brush and assigned a toilet.

It's amazed how quickly the "I'm bored" becomes "I'm NOT bored!"  Sometimes in mid-sentence!

• Like 2

AMJ should do Critter's marketing. 

An author I like makes a point of signing ANY book fans bring to her, even paperbacks (some authors will only sign hardcover).  She also will sign and send bookmarks for any purchaser of her ebooks (if they send a SASE), since it's hard to sign ebooks.  Even fans who read library books and don't buy can request the signed bookmark.  She likes encouraging fans of all shapes, sizes, and economies.

• Like 3

The Lichtenberg Figure ornaments (some of them).  We actually gave the best away.  And there is a glare from the overhead light that makes the pictures not as good as it could be.   Edited to say that the lighter stuff in the middle of the figures is a glow in the dark resin. 

PmMyWqL.jpg

Edited by Jean in Newcastle
  • Like 9

Yes. I contemplated doing that (minus dogs), but the feels like is -8F, so, not feeling super inspired. 

I don't blame you. I forgot I had gloves to put on, and now my hands are all frozen and tingly. The rest of me feels slightly warmer, but I don't know how long it will last. It's just cold, gray and damp outside and there's not much that can be done for the cold. Warm baths, plush socks, a cozy blanket and a roaring fire might help me, though.

• Like 1

I am also about desperate for a good pan of cast-iron baked cornbread. Can't find safe GF cornmeal in this town for some reason. I must look further abroad.

Oooo, that DOES sound good!

• Like 1

Topic for discussion: gifts for Elderly People Who Should Be in a Nursing Care Facility But Still Live on the Side of a Mountain in the Middle of Nowhere.

Points for consideration:

They would be offended if there was not a gift for them even though they say otherwise.

If you spend a lot on a gift they will consider it a waste.

If you spend a little on a gift they will consider it junk.

Any gift you bring will be be left at the church in case anyone else wants it.

Homemade gifts (even made by grandchildren) will be stuffed into the magazine rack and forgotten.

Candles are not allowed in the house.

Ready, set, GO!

MIL had some rather neat candles -- battery-operated, and remote-controlled.  They looked quite nice!

FIL had candles in the wood-burning fireplace.  They once actually had a house fire (started in the chimney, iirc) one Christmas, so they don't burn wood in fireplaces anymore.  The candles looked very nice, just the right touch, and work well in our climate anyway.  They also don't require retrofitting the fireplace for non-existent gas.

• Like 2

My fire-turtle is out gathering small stuff. Evidently he felt bad that Mom had to buy her own gift to have something for Christmas. He drew me a picture of a volcano riddled moon facing a planet orbiting a distant star. He did a good job on the plumes of smoke drifting across the sky.

• Like 4

So I'm just going to get this off of my chest.  Yesterday at the extended family Christmas, the cousins and ds got together to get the helicopter flying lesson that I mentioned yesterday.  They billed it as a birthday present for dd (who had a birthday two weeks ago).  They got nothing for ds.  Which is ok.  Technically they didn't get a Christmas present for dd either.  But the thing is they never ever give ds a birthday present either.  I know that it is because ds is socially awkward (Aspie) even though he tries really hard and dd is quiet but socially adept.  What sucked even more is that ds worked really hard for two weeks on those Lichtenberg Figure ornaments for all of them.  I'm not sure if Ds noticed since he hasn't said anything but he's not dumb.  I just want to rap some people upside the head. 

It's a Mama Bear Booyah. 

Here, Jean. You can borrow this:  big-machine-gun.gif

Even if you're not quite up to my preferred level of carnage, you can take it out in a field and blow away some targets. It's a great way to release pent up rage.

:grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: . That really, really sucks, what they did.

• Like 5

:seeya:

Hi. My pookie woke up sick as a dog. :sad:  When she's sick, she turns into a man. Like, an adult man. She reallyreallyreally hates to be sick. As in, wants me to sit next to her and hold her hand. But also make chicken soup for her. Which I can't do while holding her hand. So MamaGuiltâ„¢ is involved. Oof.

• Like 6

They were rude! People can at least make an effort.

I know, right? I can think of tons of gifts related to him being in college and him having a car that he’s working on. People suck. How hard is it to include the people you are spending Christmas with?

Hugs to you both, Jean. :grouphug:

• Like 3

So I'm just going to get this off of my chest. Yesterday at the extended family Christmas, the cousins and ds got together to get the helicopter flying lesson that I mentioned yesterday. They billed it as a birthday present for dd (who had a birthday two weeks ago). They got nothing for ds. Which is ok. Technically they didn't get a Christmas present for dd either. But the thing is they never ever give ds a birthday present either. I know that it is because ds is socially awkward (Aspie) even though he tries really hard and dd is quiet but socially adept. What sucked even more is that ds worked really hard for two weeks on those Lichtenberg Figure ornaments for all of them. I'm not sure if Ds noticed since he hasn't said anything but he's not dumb. I just want to rap some people upside the head.

It's a Mama Bear Booyah.

That’s just butt. It’s worse than butt. I’m sorry.
  • Like 4

I took my three girls and oldest DD’s friend to see Coco this afternoon. It was a nice movie. It was well done, very nice visually, and actually had a plot, unlike some other kids movies i’ve Seen recently. It just seemed lacking..... charm...or something. It was sweet, though. Not an entire waste of an afternoon.

• Like 1

Hi Tsuga!

I ended up using the electric blanket. I fell asleep for a bit too. DW says it's just me, and was wondering if I was dehydrated, because that can make you colder. Maybe I could've had more to drink, but I wasn't that dehydrated. Anyway, doing a bit better now. 

• Like 1

Hi Tsuga!

I ended up using the electric blanket. I fell asleep for a bit too. DW says it's just me, and was wondering if I was dehydrated, because that can make you colder. Maybe I could've had more to drink, but I wasn't that dehydrated. Anyway, doing a bit better now.

With me, once I start feeling cold, it is very hard to shake it.

• Like 1

We're eating leftover pizza. Which apparently will make us die because it's not whole foods/plant based.

Pizza is food of the gods. And my gynecologist said it was a healthy (pregnancy) food, so your book is lying to you. Be the goddess you are and eat your pizza.

• Like 2