Menu

Ignore this thread!

I didn’t have to have one! Endodontist saw nothing, asked some questions, asked more questions, and decided my bite needed to be corrected. He did some things, and it does, amazingly, feel a lot better!!!

So I went the Apple store and treated myself to the new battery I desperately needed for my iPhone and a new screen protector.

As I was entering the store, at the mall in the town where my appointment was and where I don’t normally go to shop, the first person I saw was my sister’s BFF. The one who made my bracelet. She lives in TX but is up visiting family. I had my broken bracelet in my bag, she was more than happy to fix it, and I got to spend a few minutes catching up with her and her family.

No root canal, phone that feels like new, and ran in to a friend who I’d been trying to reach.

I’m having a good day. :hurray:

:hurray:   Quick!  Go buy a lottery ticket!    :lol:     :hat:

• Like 4

Did someone forget the DENTAL ALERTâ„¢??? :toetap05:

Oh, yeah, that's it: Denpo!

Was that me? I got that for DD last year and it was a huge hit! It would be better as a family gift because it was too much snacks for one child and she wanted to share everything, so it ended up as a family gift anyway.

Someone asked about it and some people replied. I don't remember if you were one of the repliers. And yes, I did it as a family gift.

One good thing about being broke is my local employment office will pay for my associate's degree! Now I need to figure out what I'm going for...I'm not totally sold on nursing.

Will they pay for any degree? Because ime, they'll only pay for things with a good chance of getting a job. So, that would narrow down choices, which could help with indecision. Of course, maybe they're not helpful like that where you live. 

Options:

Accounting

Administrative Executive Assistant

Allied Health

Computer Information Systems with various subspecialties

Criminal Justice with various subspecialties

Early Childhood Education

EMT

Firefighting

Police

Engineering Technology with various subspecialties

General Business with various subspecialties

Graphic Design

Health Information Technology

Management

Marketing

Nursing (RN)

Pharmacy Technician

Medical Assistant

Practical Nurse

Medical Billing and Coding

Radiolic Technology

Therapeutic Massage

Veterinary Assistant

I want something that will make a decent income, and something I can do on an afternoon or night shift, so I can still homeschool my kids.

Oh, and I want a unicorn.

Pharmacy technician!

Delete all of the ones you don't like and the ones that don't pay well and repost.

Options:

Accounting

Administrative Executive Assistant

Allied Health

Early Childhood Education

EMT

General Business

Health Information Technology

Management

Nursing (RN)

Pharmacy Technician

Medical Assistant

Practical Nurse

Medical Billing and Coding

Radiolic Technology

Therapeutic Massage

Veterinary Assistant

RN is a 4-year degree, iirc. 

Pharmacy technician!

No. I know someone who did that and could not find a job, because they like to hire young and pretty girls, and part-time only (of course, I'm sure Bookie is young and pretty, but still...). Also, who wants to count pills all day long, for the rest of their lives?

Google should help you find the pay ranges for these things, both nationally and by state (or even by city), and future forecasts. Pay attention to what the bottom 25% make as well as the median. Some of these have advancement potential, others do not. Yes, you might need more education to advance in some of these things, but, some of them are easier and have more options over time than others... e.g. EMT is kind of a dead end - you won't get promoted to doctor at some point. Whereas something like business, there are many gradual steps up, and some places might require a 4-year degree at some point, other won't, but it'd be relatively easy to take one class a semester in the evenings if you wanted to do that. Whereas for, say pharmacy tech, there aren't really any steps on the career ladder between 2-year degree and PharmD, kwim?

Of course, it depends on what you want to do. But unless you plan on changing your career a bunch of times, do you want to be, say, an EMT when you're 60? That seems like a high stress/demanding kind of job. So, while it'd be interesting to do for a while, probably not long-long term. 

• Like 1

Btw, my mom was a pharmacy assistant back in the day when they still learned how to compound medicines etc. One time she went on vacation, and when she got back the pharmacist told her she'd given a guy the wrong medication (doctor's handwriting sucks). She about fainted, thinking the guy died (because that was a bad, bad, mistake). Turned out the guy had noticed that the name on the bottle was wrong before taking it, and had brought it back, but my mom decided that she'd had it (also, her boss had been an ass about her vacation - she'd applied for time off months in advance, and then at the last moment the boss said he needed her there, thinking he could just coerce her into not taking her approved vacation time, and she went on vacation anyway, so, there was that too). Anyway, these days at least most doctors send scripts electronically, so, the handwriting thing isn't as likely to be an issue... but it just seems like a boring job to do for year after year. 

So, apparently RN is not necessarily a 4-year degree:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Registered_nurse

"In the US, a registered nurse is a clinician who has completed at least an associate degree in nursing or a hospital-based diploma program. The RN has successfully completed the NCLEX-RN examination for initial licensure. Other requirements vary by state. You can find more information about the NCLEX-RN examination and specific state nursing boards by visiting the National Council of State Boards of Nursing (https://www.ncsbn.org/index.htm)

Associate degrees in nursing frequently take three years to complete because of the increased volume of undergraduate coursework related to the profession of nursing. Bachelor of Science in Nursing degrees include more thorough coursework in leadership and community health. Some employers, especially hospitals, may require a bachelor's degree for entry level positions."

• Like 1

The main downside of radiology is that there's going to be a fairly limited job market for radiology techs in any given geographic area. If you're in/near a very big city, that may not be a big deal, or if if you're willing to relocate, but otherwise, you'd be hoping for one out of relatively few jobs, because it is so specialized compared to, say, RN, or accounting, or w/e. 

ETA: nationally, it's a good choice, imo.

Edited by luuknam

How's that?

Medical assistant pay is low, and you don't need an associate's. They usually work in doctor's offices: rooming patients, taking vital signs, getting patients to sign paperwork, drawing blood, stocking rooms, etc.

Practical nurse is an LPN, often work on nursing homes or doctor's offices, have to pass a state exam and renew license every other year. Some work on hospital floors. Salary is way below it should be, IMO.

RNs make way more $, many places want a BSN or a bachelor's in another field. In some states you can go directly from an AA with an ASN to a Masters in nursing, skipping the bachelor's. Nursing jobs are not what they used to be, however. Salaries are lower and expectations are higher, and patients are sicker and bigger than ever.

(Am an RN)

• Like 1

RN is a 4-year degree, iirc.

No. I know someone who did that and could not find a job, because they like to hire young and pretty girls, and part-time only (of course, I'm sure Bookie is young and pretty, but still...). Also, who wants to count pills all day long, for the rest of their lives?

Google should help you find the pay ranges for these things, both nationally and by state (or even by city), and future forecasts. Pay attention to what the bottom 25% make as well as the median. Some of these have advancement potential, others do not. Yes, you might need more education to advance in some of these things, but, some of them are easier and have more options over time than others... e.g. EMT is kind of a dead end - you won't get promoted to doctor at some point. Whereas something like business, there are many gradual steps up, and some places might require a 4-year degree at some point, other won't, but it'd be relatively easy to take one class a semester in the evenings if you wanted to do that. Whereas for, say pharmacy tech, there aren't really any steps on the career ladder between 2-year degree and PharmD, kwim?

Of course, it depends on what you want to do. But unless you plan on changing your career a bunch of times, do you want to be, say, an EMT when you're 60? That seems like a high stress/demanding kind of job. So, while it'd be interesting to do for a while, probably not long-long term.

An RN can have an associate's in nursing,no bachelor's needed.

Btw, I know it's not on your list, but, truck driving school is only 4 weeks. The question is if you can get a local job (over the road jobs are easy to get). Now, there's a decent chance it will get automated away at some point, just wanted to throw it out there as something that can be done soon.

Therapeutic massage would be unlikely to be automated away soon, BUT it seems like it'd be highly dependent on the state of the economy and/or whether insurance pays for it.

There are some really intensive anatomy/physiology courses required for that. And very strong hands. (Friend of mine is a massage therapist for a sports medicine doc.

I could join you in the scented candle department. I don't dislike scented candles, but I have an aversion to anything that smells like pumpkin pie spice or cookies baking.

Which is what everyone gives me...

Vanilla scent (fake of course) makes me physically ill. I can't stand the way vanilla-scented anything smells. I would some of something every year, or my daughter. I had to throw it all away.

• Like 2

No one got me books either. ;). Dh handed me his present and said, I didn’t know what to get you. ðŸ§. Hmm, I showed you my amazon wishlist with a dozen different things on it (I thought but did not say). But there was a bag of Dove chocolates in there, so we’re good. :)

I bought myself books and put them in my stocking.

• Like 8

An RN can have an associate's in nursing,no bachelor's needed.

I'm not sure what kind of degree my mom got for her RN, but she is 78 and still working (at a nursing home.) They threw her a retirement party and a few weeks later started calling her to fill in for people who were on vacation, extended sickness, etc. It really helps with "retirement" funding. :)

Can you tell me more about turmeric?

Edited by Susan in TN
  • Like 2

I'm cold. I tried to put plastic insulation on a drafty window in the kitchen yesterday, but the tape in one corner kept coming loose. Probably should duct tape it, but that will leave residue on the walls. Anyway, that window is really drafty (hadn't realized how drafty before since it's next to the fridge), and the window next to it is also sorta drafty, and some other windows/doors are not great either, and it's 11F feels like -8F or something and I keep turning the thermostat up higher and higher but I'm still cold. I think I've turned it up 2 degrees in the past 24 hours. And then kids are harassing me about being bored, but I'm too cold to go fiddle with new stuff, and the stuff I suggested (games we could play, etc) was turned down as boring. Maybe we should do more school. 

I lived in a casita so drafty that I covered the windows with garbage bags and watched as the wind moved them back and forth about 5 inches each way.

I was watching Canada's Worst Handyman yesterday, and the professionals used plastic and sealed it with a blow dryer to insulate the windows. Worth a try.

And it's a drafty BOOYA.

Edited by Renai
  • Like 6

It was so cute the way Alex snuck up behind me in the shower, threw his bath toy at me as hard as a professional baseball player and screamed bloody murder until I played with it.

I think nursing is the safest choice. There’s high demand, flexible schedules, and decent pay. As a bonus, you also gain skills useful for your own family.

I disagree. My cousin in law got a nursing degree and now can't get a job due to a flooded market. It might be regional.

• Like 3

No idea about the pay of any of these. The website they gave me mostly says n/a.

That means they gave you the Gainful Employment figures which are based on real graduate data. If there are fewer than 10 grads that year in that program, or fewer than 10 answered the survey, the data is suppressed due to federal privacy laws (which is a good.thing).

What state do you live in? I can find all kinds of statistics.

However I would go for RN if you can move / commute, pharmacy tech if you need lower stress and hours, and accounting for max flexibility and possible advancement in business if you think you'd like to work in an office.

Don't go into nursing if you aren't called. It is too hard do do if you are not desperate or in love with the profession.

• Like 3

I'm not sure what kind of degree my mom got for her RN, but she is 78 and still working (at a nursing home.) They threw her a retirement party and a few weeks later started calling her to fill in for people who were on vacation, extended sickness, etc. It really helps with "retirement" funding. :)

Can you tell me more about turmeric?

So awesome about your mom. :)

"Is turmeric good for high blood pressure? Turmeric (Curcuma longa) contains a strong anti-oxidant called curcumin. Curcumin is also a potent anti-inflammatory, it helps lower blood cholesterol, and it has anti-clotting properties. Curcumin helps keep blood vessels healthy by protecting cells from damage, thereby allowing smoother flow of blood.

Curcumin also has the ability to dilate arteries. Researchers conclude that curcumin works much the same way as ginger as it inhibits the transport of calcium, which acts as a chemical messenger that tells muscle cells to contract, thereby dilating the arteries.[5] Therefore, taking turmeric for high blood pressure, due to its active ingredient curcumin, can be a useful remedy.

Turmeric is available in liquid extracts and capsules containing the powder. Adults can take 400 to 600 mg of standardized curcumin powder 3 times daily. For extracts, take 30 to 90 drops daily. For dried cut root or dried powdered root, 1.5 to 3 grams per day are recommended.[3]

Turmeric blood pressure remedies are not perfect though. One of the challenges with curcumin is that humans have an extremely poor absorption of curcumin in the gastrointestinal tract. When we take a powdered form (as capsules), the curcumin itself is not absorbed but breaks down into a number of metabolic products which are much less beneficial than the curcumin itself.

However, mixing curcumin with fish oil, coconut oil, or extra virgin olive oil greatly increases absorption—up to seven times improvement. If you don’t want to fool with that mixing mess and want a relatively inexpensive supplement form, use the curcumin phytosome complex supplements that are readily available. Recent research has shown that this form’s bioavailability in the human body is approximately four times better than plain curcumin.[6]

Don’t exceed the recommended dose of turmeric (curcumin). In high doses, it may cause stomach upset and ulcers. If you have diabetes, turmeric may lower blood sugar to dangerous levels, especially if you’re also taking diabetes medication. Do not take curcumin before speaking to a physician if you have gallstones, a bile duct disorder or if you’re taking medications such as stomach-acid drugs or blood thinners, including aspirin. Always consult a physician before taking turmeric and high blood pressure meds."

Link is https://universityhealthnews.com/daily/heart-health/spice-up-your-life-with-these-high-blood-pressure-remedies/

I read a couple of studies awhile back, but I'm on my phone so can't easily find them.

• Like 3

I’m back. In a rare fit of spontaneity we packed up the fam and went to the mountains for a hike. It was a beautiful day. Too bad the mountains are such a mess. Between the drought, fires and the bark beetle, the place looks pretty apocalyptic. But, we still had a nice hike and stopped at our favorite pizza place on the way down the hill.

• Like 6

Y'all talk too much. I slept until 9, been cleaning since.

Dinner: https://www.gimmesomeoven.com/5-ingredient-pesto-chicken-soup-recipe/

If I didn't know what to get someone, aspie or otherwise, I'd ask their mother.

Angi, what did you get?

They do talk a lot! I peeked this morning and there were over 240 posts. I'm just now getting around to looking on the thread again. Who knows how many more have posted.

• Like 1