Menu

Ignore this thread!

Snow-po.  Prepare for a rant.  Ignore if you wish.  :)

Snow is a lot of work.  We get snow almost every year, but it doesn't happen often each season.  So when it snows it is an event for the kids.  It means that I have to dig out all of the snow gear (which probably doesn't fit), listen to squabbles over who gets which hat, sit by the window and watch the kids have fun in the snow (and shriek, which gives me a headache), listen to everyone grumble about how cold they are when they come inside.  Then I get to try to warm up the littles, mop up all of their puddles, and take care of the wet laundry.

And this happens every day until it melts.  

If I don't make hot chocolate, they say that they want some.  If I do make hot chocolate, they taste it and say they don't like it.  And it uses up all of the milk which we can not easily replenish.

Then, activities get cancelled which causes disappointment.  One year our church's children's Christmas program ended up in mid-January -- and the kids forgot their lines.

And the power goes out and I have nothing to cook with.  No hot food for days is not fun.

I used to not mind driving in the snow so much; now, I hate it.  I worry about getting stuck in the snow and not being able to get home.

Snow makes me cold the whole way to my bones.  It hurts.

I can't play in it anymore.  I can't even walk in it anymore.  I can't wear boots because I can't get them on my feet.

This is just not fun for me.

OK, end rant.  Y'all can enjoy the snow all you want.  :)

I hear you loud and clear.  I sit here every winter wondering why people are so up in arms about climate change.*  I'd be perfectly happy with warmer temps and less snow.

*Please don't get on my about climate change.  This is tongue in cheek.

This BOOYAH is dedicated to Junie.  May her winter be as snow-free as possible.

This is the thread that never ends.

ITT presents: Math'n'Grammarville

*All Rights Reserved* Except for those to the tune and original lyrics, which are obviously held by Jimmy Buffet or whatever company it is that owns him, LOL.

Livin' on twaddle,

I was happy to dawdle,

Until Mom told me my work must be done.

Now here it is sunset,

And she won't let me drop it,

I'll be here all night and I never had fun!

Refrain:

Wasting away again in Math‘n’Grammarville

Hoping that there's a whole hour of art

Some people say that there is knowledge to gain

But I know, of it I want no part

It sure isn't pleasin',

All this logic and reason,

Gettin' shoved down my throat with these dusty old books!

When I could be skatin'

Building forts and be playin'

So I'm giving my teacher these disgusted looks!

Refrain:

But you can’t force me to take part!

I've stalled and I've grumbled

Dropped my pencil and fumbled

Lost my place and my temper and spilled all the glue,

But Mom isn't buying,

All these tricks that I'm trying,

And I'll just have it all tomorrow to do.

Refrain:

And so I must play the part

It sure isn't pleasin',

All this logic and reason,

Gettin' shoved down my throat with these dusty old books!

When I could be skatin'

Building forts and be playin'

So I'm giving my teacher these disgusted looks!

Wasting away again in Math-and-Grammarville

But I know, of it I want no part

Livin' on twaddle,

I was happy to dawdle,

Until Mom told me my work must be done.

Now here it is sunset,

And she won't let me drop it,

I'll be here all night and I never had fun!

Refrain

I've stalled and I've grumbled

Dropped my pencil and fumbled

Lost my place and my temper and spilled all the glue,

But Mom isn't buying,

All these tricks that I'm trying,

And I'll just have it all tomorrow to do.

Edited by ikslo
  • Like 8

• Replies 216.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Slache

• Susan in TN

• Jean in Newcastle

• KrissiK

Joslyn is gone.

Mom and Dad are grateful that the Lord took him of his own volition and they did not have to make the decision to take her off life support.

The doctors have determined that it is absolutely due to the vaccine so the vaccine company is paying for all medical and funeral costs.

:grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: :crying:

• Like 1

My three teenagers are supposed to go caroling tonight.  They think it's great that it's supposed to snow.   :glare:

They are having a fellowship at the pastor's house afterward.  Boys are to take a 2-liter and girls are supposed to take a dessert or a snack.

Dd13 and dd15 decided that they want to make fudge.  And cookies.  And peanut butter balls.  These are all recipes that we've never made before.

Sigh.  I think this means no nap for me today.

• Like 2

I bought new snow boots for this year.  I figure if I have to take my kid sledding, I should at least have warm feet.  The ones I bought promised me they would keep my toes toasty warm.  I told them they had better!  They also have pink laces.  :thumbup1:

• Like 6

The only one they know in Spanish is Feliz Navidad.  And someone taught them to sing it as "Fleas on my dog..."  I don't think that's what the youth pastor is going for...

I'm teaching Blanca Navidad in 1.5 hours. But your teens are a *wee* bit too old, lol!

• Like 4

Just talked to my sister. He died in his sleep. Was found in his bed in the morning by his girlfriend. He was diabetic. Not taking care of himself. Due to start kidney dialysis. Official word is “natural causes “.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:(  :grouphug:

• Like 1

Just talked to my sister. He died in his sleep. Was found in his bed in the morning by his girlfriend. He was diabetic. Not taking care of himself. Due to start kidney dialysis. Official word is “natural causes “.

:crying:

• Like 1

I can't wear boots because I can't get them on my feet.

I'm not entirely sure what your problem is in getting them on your feet, but the ones I have, I just stick my feet in and push down - I don't use my hands, I don't have to bend over, etc. Actually, I think both pairs I have work that way, though the second pair involves pushing down a lot harder with my feet. (the first pair is a boy's size 6 from Target 1-3 years ago (not sure), the second is a girl's size 6 from Columbia, iirc, but iirc they have basically the same pair in women's sizes too, just for like $50 more or something). I generally don't use my hands getting them off either (again, easier with the Target ones).

I have never heard of that before. Is that a real difference or just your fam?

Eta: I mean, I’ve heard of oblates but not that distinction.

I think it's an observation of my Dad's, though I definitely have seen it, too.  It is definitely his terminology.  The uncle I mentioned is on my Mom's side, not my Dad's, but Dad knew him well.  There are oblates who take the role seriously and don't think how they can use it for social standing or personal gain beyond their own soul's benefit.  Then there are oblates who are all for the show and the name and think more for what they get to claim and the clout it can net them than they think of the obligation they are taking on, the promise they are making.

I almost ran over my doctor this morning.  I was turning into the parking garage before going to offer my turnip self for bloodletting and he ran right in front of my car.  Fortunately I didn't hit him.  He's a good doctor and they are hard to replace.  I think he was late for work. . . .  

Did you ask him to be more careful in the future?  Not every driver is as observant and quick to react as you.  It's better if he's a minute or two late for work instead of never getting there, after all.

• Like 1

:grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug:

• Like 1

We had a good park day, though we left half an hour early.  It was 39 degrees outside, and the charcoal never really got going.  My thin sneakers had my toes getting cold, despite me wearing the warmest socks I had.  I need fuzzy boots.  As soon as I get to my hotel in Colorado I'll probably run across the street to the mall and go buy me some fuzzy boots.

• Like 3

Did I mention that earlier when we were outside in the snow the cat was standing on my feet to warm up her feet?

Now she's yowling to be let outside again.  She'll huddle on the doorstep until someone opens the door to let her back in.

• Like 2

Did you ask him to be more careful in the future? Not every driver is as observant and quick to react as you. It's better if he's a minute or two late for work instead of never getting there, after all.

I doubt he noticed that it was me in the car. I did not speak to him. I was there for the lab not for the doctor. Hopefully it was a fluke and he’s usually not having to dash for work like that.

• Like 2

I'm not entirely sure what your problem is in getting them on your feet, but the ones I have, I just stick my feet in and push down - I don't use my hands, I don't have to bend over, etc. Actually, I think both pairs I have work that way, though the second pair involves pushing down a lot harder with my feet. (the first pair is a boy's size 6 from Target 1-3 years ago (not sure), the second is a girl's size 6 from Columbia, iirc, but iirc they have basically the same pair in women's sizes too, just for like $50 more or something). I generally don't use my hands getting them off either (again, easier with the Target ones).

I have a really hard time finding shoes to fit.  I wear an 8 1/2 wide and I have flat feet.

The arthritis in my hands makes it hard to tug boots on, so they would have to be the exact perfect size to do what you were suggesting.

I've been walking with a cane quite a bit this last year, so it's kind of a moot point.  I generally won't walk outside if there's an increased chance of me falling.

Ed help please.

Dd's lit assignment today was to write a "nature themed poem".  (Assigned by the Oak Meadow syllabus).  She handed me a Roses are Red, Violets are Blue ditty.  So I said "nice try but no cigar".  So she handed me a second verse to the Roses are Red, Violets are Blue ditty.  So I said, "forget poetry.".  Give me a prose description of our back yard and bird feeder with lots of adjectives and adverbs.  She handed me a list of adjectives and adverbs.  Sigh.  Do you think that fourth time is a charm?  In the past I would have given up because in the past she would have been melting down.  But she's in 10th grade.  I'm not expecting Emily Dickinson etc. but I do expect her to do the assignment in either poetry or descriptive prose.

OK - while I wrote this post, she wrote on a piece of paper:  "Cats are hunting birds, while they eat.  The backyard is like a jungle, overgrown, green and somewhat dead."  I'm leaving this for today because she threw the syllabus at me (which I made her come back and pick up) and has retreated to her room.  If I push more, I will not get any work from her but will get a meltdown.  (She's had what I call "writing mutism" in all preceding school years.  This year I'm getting more writing out of her but it is still a struggle.)   Anyway. . .    next week (probably Tuesday because Monday we will be occupied with the doctor) I have promised her that we are going to work on this descriptive paragraph.  So what do I make her do to this?  And how?  I've heard people refer to "dress ups" from IEW?  What does that mean in practical terms? 

• Like 5

Joslyn is gone.

Mom and Dad are grateful that the Lord took him of his own volition and they did not have to make the decision to take her off life support.

The doctors have determined that it is absolutely due to the vaccine so the vaccine company is paying for all medical and funeral costs.

(((Joslyn's family)))

• Like 1

Ed help please.

Dd's lit assignment today was to write a "nature themed poem". (Assigned by the Oak Meadow syllabus). She handed me a Roses are Red, Violets are Blue ditty. So I said "nice try but no cigar". So she handed me a second verse to the Roses are Red, Violets are Blue ditty. So I said, "forget poetry.". Give me a prose description of our back yard and bird feeder with lots of adjectives and adverbs. She handed me a list of adjectives and adverbs. Sigh. Do you think that fourth time is a charm? In the past I would have given up because in the past she would have been melting down. But she's in 10th grade. I'm not expecting Emily Dickinson etc. but I do expect her to do the assignment in either poetry or descriptive prose.

OK - while I wrote this post, she wrote on a piece of paper: "Cats are hunting birds, while they eat. The backyard is like a jungle, overgrown, green and somewhat dead." I'm leaving this for today because she threw the syllabus at me (which I made her come back and pick up) and has retreated to her room. If I push more, I will not get any work from her but will get a meltdown. (She's had what I call "writing mutism" in all preceding school years. This year I'm getting more writing out of her but it is still a struggle.) Anyway. . . next week (probably Tuesday because Monday we will be occupied with the doctor) I have promised her that we are going to work on this descriptive paragraph. So what do I make her do to this? And how? I've heard people refer to "dress ups" from IEW? What does that mean in practical terms?

I think her latest attempt was somewhat poetic in a free verse sort of way. Perhaps in Monday, you might have her write it out free verse style, and then add a bit here and there....

Cats...lions of the yard,

Are hunting birds

While they eat....

Tails twitching

Bodies low to the ground

Silently slinking, stalking, sneaking...

I don’t know, I’m not a writer, but I think she could take what she did and add to it. But later.

• Like 4

I think her latest attempt was somewhat poetic in a free verse sort of way. Perhaps in Monday, you might have her write it out free verse style, and then add a bit here and there....

Cats...lions of the yard,

Are hunting birds

While they eat....

Tails twitching

Bodies low to the ground

Silently slinking, stalking, sneaking...

I don’t know, I’m not a writer, but I think she could take what she did and add to it. But later.

Argh! 

I am exhausted.  I think it might be bedtime.

I didn't get a nap today.  Treats were made, but we skipped the fudge.  My Grammie's fudge recipe requires reading a candy thermometer and I wasn't up to it.  Also, I've never actually made Grammie's fudge and there's a rumor that she didn't write out the recipe quite right so that nobody can duplicate her fudge.  Sigh.

• Like 4

OK - while I wrote this post, she wrote on a piece of paper:  "Cats are hunting birds, while they eat.  The backyard is like a jungle, overgrown, green and somewhat dead."  I'm leaving this for today because she threw the syllabus at me (which I made her come back and pick up) and has retreated to her room.  If I push more, I will not get any work from her but will get a meltdown.  (She's had what I call "writing mutism" in all preceding school years.  This year I'm getting more writing out of her but it is still a struggle.)   Anyway. . .    next week (probably Tuesday because Monday we will be occupied with the doctor) I have promised her that we are going to work on this descriptive paragraph.  So what do I make her do to this?  And how?  I've heard people refer to "dress ups" from IEW?  What does that mean in practical terms? 

I'm with Krissi - have her use what she's already got. I like Krissi's poem. Also, maybe you could find some examples online of bad nature poems to show her, just so she can see you don't need publication-worthy stuff - that stuff like that will do. I don't know that it's a hill to die on though, especially since it is so hard to find a legit real-life purpose, and she did manage to come up with two roses are red ditties.

When I was a kid (circa K-1st grade), we had poëzie-albums (poetry albums), which we mispronounced as poezie-albums (kitty albums), and which you'd have all your friends and family members write a poem in, along with some pretty stickers. of course, many kids had their parents write stuff, or copied a poem, since in NL they don't even begin to teach writing until 1st grade, but anyway... it was neat. not sure that's related, other than as something popular from about 1989/1990 that could maybe have a retro resurgence moment at some point.

Very poorly written poem I just wrote using the "just start with something and then think of words that will rhyme"-method... obviously not a recipe for great poetry, but it will do the job for an assignment like that (or I think it will... I mean, it's obviously not worth an A, but it can get a C, right?):

It is dark out.

The wind howls.

Please don't pout

Put away your trowels

And have a pint of stout

Tomorrow is another day

To work out in the garden

So please go put the tools away

And let the plants harden

In the wind coming from the bay

Come morning the many birds will sing

The sun will shine so bright

The flowers'll bloom and vines will cling

When it no more is night

Displaying nature's own bling-bling.

Edited by luuknam
  • Like 5

(I know it was bad - I wasn't just being humble and self-deprecating or anything... but I was still secretly hoping somebody would say that it was worth a C+ or maybe even a B for 10th grade English... I mean, I can't imagine the standards are all that high for that).

• Like 4

Ed help please.

Dd's lit assignment today was to write a "nature themed poem".  (Assigned by the Oak Meadow syllabus).  She handed me a Roses are Red, Violets are Blue ditty.  So I said "nice try but no cigar".  So she handed me a second verse to the Roses are Red, Violets are Blue ditty.  So I said, "forget poetry.".  Give me a prose description of our back yard and bird feeder with lots of adjectives and adverbs.  She handed me a list of adjectives and adverbs.  Sigh.  Do you think that fourth time is a charm?  In the past I would have given up because in the past she would have been melting down.  But she's in 10th grade.  I'm not expecting Emily Dickinson etc. but I do expect her to do the assignment in either poetry or descriptive prose.

Personally, I think poetry is hard. I'd not jump into that. (mostly because I stink at it)

Could you scaffold the descriptive piece more? I think that her list of adjectives and adverbs would be a good starting point, but I think it might be good to have a list of nouns, as well. Next, you could ask her to describe to you in one sentence what the backyard looks like to her. She could then write that sentence down as a working topic sentence. You could then ask her to flesh out the description using words from the lists that she created. Would that help her past the block, or is that too simplistic at this point?

• Like 4

One thing I'd do with description is to hit all of the senses that you can. Description is less about what is actually there (photograph) than what the writer actually sees (painting). 

So a cat wouldn't see the jungle in the backyard as a jungle, he'd see it as cover to jump those birds. And what would the birds be to him? Noisy, ignorant little dinners, gathered around the feeder, just waiting for him to pounce. He might lick his mouth, getting his taste all set for birds. He would feel tense as he crouched, muscles feeling like coiled springs, he'd drink in the birds as his eyes opened wide, and---darn that bell around his neck!

Sometimes it helps to think like something else from time to time. When I write nature themed poetry, half the time I'm thinking about something else and nature just expands the idea for me.

• Like 8