Menu

Ignore this thread!

Starting with a conjunction is poetic license, but not grammatically correct, imho.

True for coordinating conjunctions, but the rules allow it for subordinating conjunctions (starting dependent clauses).  I'm still not sure how to diagram them.

• Like 1

Red badge of Courage = less engaging. Guarantee it.

Thank you.  It is now in Audible for us and the girls have permission to listen to that one, too.  After that, however, is RLS's Kidnapped.  His style of writing is a lot more engaging to the girls, so I want them to actually read that one.  I want their eyes trained to absorb the words and not just their ears.

Don't tell AMJ but I don't feel good. And now I have to leave to pick Ds up from work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:grouphug:  :grouphug:   You made it back okay, right?

Is there any chance your DS can borrow your car, and DS and DH run errands for you while you recuperate?  I wish we lived closer.  I'd do all of that driving for you.

Diagramming, as far as I'm concerned, is just a visual picture of a sentence. I'm perfectly happy to just figure out what is modifying what and then play with it in a diagram if I feel inclined.

I think the thing that knocked down diagramming for us was the system of diagramming didn't make much sense to us; it wasn't that intuitive.  Looks like our resource was using RK, so maybe a tree diagram would make more sense to our minds.

Or we could simply make up our own diagramming system.  Or not.  MCT LA has some bubble pictures that are a basic sort of diagramming, I guess.  Those, along with the sentence analysis exercises, seem to do the trick for us.

Back in high school one of the types of poems I remember us studying was to shape the words into a shape or image.  I like that better.

The thing about alcohol is that it inhibits your ability to drive places. I mean, not that you have that problem, but I do, and unless I get a breathalyzer (which I suppose is possible... just call it a homeschool science expense, right?), I prefer to leave a large margin of error, because I have no desire to get into trouble with the law. So, alcohol for breakfast would mess with field trip days. 

I'm such a lightweight when it comes to alcohol I dare not drink any if I might have to drive anywhere.  By the time the day is far enough along either I have forgotten about having a small treat or it's too close to bedtime (it triggers nighttime hot flashes if I drink it too close to bedtime).

• Like 1

I don't like wine either. I wouldn't say no to a little Irish creme in my coffee, though. I used to drink quite a lot (pretty much constantly) but I never drink at all anymore. Sometimes I do toy with the idea of becoming a day drinker, but as was previously mentioned, that messes up outings.

Sent from my HTCD160LVW using Tapatalk

I did realize that within 3 years I might be done with homeschooling (if youngest decides to public school all of high school), and within 5 years both girls will have graduated.  That might free me up to consider some daytime treats (I like Irish Cream, too), though I might find other ways to be busy that involve driving.  Perhaps lots of day outings for myself....

• Like 3

I did my Latin. A bunch of translations. Which I don't mind, but for some reason I am particularly tired this evening.

Yesterday I wanted to start pulling short sound clips from our pronunciation training book for DD16's French (to put on Anki flash cards), but I couldn't figure out how to isolate just short little snippets.  We decided to wait until DH got home so we could ask for his help, but forgot.  *sigh*  DD16 is going through parts of that book with the accompanying CD tracks in the meantime.  

I don't like wine, either. I don't drink. But when I do, I go for the hard stuff.

I like stuff that tastes like ice cream.  Or fruity stuff with rum in it.  Or Mom's walnut cake (soaked in rum).  Or her rum balls.

Hmm, maybe I should make her walnut cake (perhaps altered to a pecan cake?) this holiday season....

• Like 1

Yesterday was completely crazy, plumbing emergency, unplanned for doctor visit for one kid and an almost-ER trip for a different kid.

May today go better.

Caffeine.

:ohmy:  :grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug:

I'M too tired to get up

Don't wanna do stuff

Too tired to get up

I shake my little tush in the clean bed

Cuz I love me some clean sheets

Yeah

Breakfast was totes fab: http://www.cookinglight.com/food/vegetarian/sweet-potato-quiche-crust

:hurray:  :hurray:  :hurray:

We have a song book, right?  This needs to be added to the song book!

• Like 1

I have to finish painting baby's room today.  :( I don't want to. I have to finish by 12. Tell me to go do it and how I'll feel proud of my accomplishment and glad it's done. That doesn't include baseboards either, but I can do those tonight. The room has weird angles, like an attic, that I decided were walls and not ceiling and now I have to paint them. The kids go to the eye doctor later so I have to do it early so I have time to clean up. 

I don't feel like a Booya. 

Edited by Paige
  • Like 7

I had some plums and nectarines that needed eating up so I started your instructions for making the tart.  I didn't add a crust; I just started eating the yummy filling.   :laugh:

Arrrrgh! I'm already out of likes for the day! 

I need caffeine to be a proper pirate. Or is it rum...Hmmm. I think we had a discussion about whether to start the day with alcohol...

• Like 3

I have to finish painting baby's room today.  :( I don't want to. I have to finish by 12. Tell me to go do it and how I'll feel proud of my accomplishment and glad it's done. That doesn't include baseboards either, but I can do those tonight. The room has weird angles, like an attic, that I decided were walls and not ceiling and now I have to paint them. The kids go to the eye doctor later so I have to do it early so I have time to clean up. 

:grouphug:  :grouphug:

You can do it.  Then you won't have to worry about it anymore. 

• Like 1

I'm starting out this day in a rather tired state. I hope I get through my tasks for the day. I have French, Latin, Geometry, Grammar and thoughtful reading to do, and I've got to get through the rest of this really long chapter and get it down in the 4K department. I will probably crash by this afternoon.

Good Morning!!!!

COFFEE!!,☕ï¸â˜•ï¸â˜•ï¸â˜•ï¸â˜•ï¸

Tuesday!!ðŸ‘ðŸ‘

Ahoy, ye scurvy dogs!! I read an awesome book some years back about the real Pirates of the Caribbean, back in the 1600's. I don't remember the name off-hand, but it was a good book.

• Like 5

:grouphug: :grouphug: You made it back okay, right?

Is there any chance your DS can borrow your car, and DS and DH run errands for you while you recuperate? I wish we lived closer. I'd do all of that driving for you.

No.

I got to use my cpap for the first time in a week last night. I think that will solve some problems.

• Like 2

It's my 300th birthday this page!

Alcohol for breakfast is never a good idea.

I think it's a really bad idea for some people. I don't know that it's a good idea for anyone, but I haven't done a study. I've had alcohol for breakfast only once, and before noon probably about a dozen times. One of the main things is whether the person having alcohol early in the day just has 1-2 glasses and then is done for the day, or if they're going to just keep drinking all day long. Personally, I don't think I've ever had more than 2 glasses of alcohol on days where I had alcohol before noon. I'm pretty sure I'm unusual in that though. I don't think it matters all that much if you have e.g. a xanax with breakfast or one glass of alcohol, IF that's where you stop. Society frowns on the latter though.

:confused1:

Branches. 

For luuknam:

How to Talk Like a Dutch Pirate

:)

The website is temporarily unable to service your request as it exceeded resource limit. Please try again later.

I'm half Irish and I think starting the day with alcohol is a bad idea. Unless you're out on the Irish Sea hauling in nets and freezing your arse off. Then you can have a wee dram in your cuppa. After visiting there the drinking and the heavy food made perfect sense if you're going to be cold and wet and doing hard manual labor all day.

Apparently the Romans (rich ones anyway) had last night's wine for breakfast and dipped bread in it, at least according to Supersizers Eat...but their empire didn't end well. And a lot of the other thingd they ates ounded absolutely vile. Fried womb is NOT an aphrodesiac. 🤢

Alcohol can increase your odds of hypothermia, iirc, because while you feel warmer, the warmth going to your extremities reduces your core temp. That said, a wee dram in your cuppa is probably not going to be a big deal. 

I haven't tried fried womb. The *idea* of it is not an aphrodisiac, for sure. 

• Like 1

Btw, I think there's also a difference between "alcohol FOR breakfast", or "alcohol WITH breakfast". The former sounds like a worse idea than the latter. Breakfast is the most important meal of the day, people! You need to have your ice cream for breakfast too! (okay, not really... yesterday's experiment was interesting, but despite the study DW quoted that I haven't looked up yet, I'm not for ice cream for breakfast every day)

• Like 1

I took a nap and made breakfast and dinner but in neither drunk nor sailing.

Btw, I think there's also a difference between "alcohol FOR breakfast", or "alcohol WITH breakfast". The former sounds like a worse idea than the latter. Breakfast is the most important meal of the day, people! You need to have your ice cream for breakfast too! (okay, not really... yesterday's experiment was interesting, but despite the study DW quoted that I haven't looked up yet, I'm not for ice cream for breakfast every day)

I always serve leftover birthday cake at breakfast because I think it's the best time to burn off all that sugar.

So, for the heck of it, today's breakfast is bread and whiskey (I don't have to go anywhere until after 3).

Eww!
  • Like 3

DW mentioned last night that there's some scientific study that came out recently that says your day goes better if you have ice cream for breakfast. So, I bought ice cream last night. I think I need to have ice cream for breakfast tomorrow too, to verify. 

Science! :)

I have to finish painting baby's room today.  :( I don't want to. I have to finish by 12. Tell me to go do it and how I'll feel proud of my accomplishment and glad it's done.

It'll be so nice when it's finished! Do it.

Weird thing that Critter likes: I sometimes eat rice cereal with ice cream. 

DS likes the mochi ice cream treats that Whole Foods has started selling. I can see the appeal, but I haven't tried one.

• Like 2

I have to finish painting baby's room today. :( I don't want to. I have to finish by 12. Tell me to go do it and how I'll feel proud of my accomplishment and glad it's done. That doesn't include baseboards either, but I can do those tonight. The room has weird angles, like an attic, that I decided were walls and not ceiling and now I have to paint them. The kids go to the eye doctor later so I have to do it early so I have time to clean up.

We'll send over the ITT Painting Crew. They're just finishing up the lodge at the ITT Island.
  • Like 6

It's my 300th birthday this page!

I think it's a really bad idea for some people. I don't know that it's a good idea for anyone, but I haven't done a study. I've had alcohol for breakfast only once, and before noon probably about a dozen times. One of the main things is whether the person having alcohol early in the day just has 1-2 glasses and then is done for the day, or if they're going to just keep drinking all day long. Personally, I don't think I've ever had more than 2 glasses of alcohol on days where I had alcohol before noon. I'm pretty sure I'm unusual in that though. I don't think it matters all that much if you have e.g. a xanax with breakfast or one glass of alcohol, IF that's where you stop. Society frowns on the latter though.

Branches. 

The website is temporarily unable to service your request as it exceeded resource limit. Please try again later.

Alcohol can increase your odds of hypothermia, iirc, because while you feel warmer, the warmth going to your extremities reduces your core temp. That said, a wee dram in your cuppa is probably not going to be a big deal. 

I haven't tried fried womb. The *idea* of it is not an aphrodisiac, for sure. 

Keep trying the link.  I suspect that website is getting a lot of traffic today.  I tried it earlier and got the same message you got, but I was just now able to access it.

Oh, library branches!  I get it now.  Silly me, I forgot.  Hey, you are getting close!

WOMB?!?  I had read it as "worm", which sounded bad enough.

• Like 2

Science! :)

It'll be so nice when it's finished! Do it.

DS likes the mochi ice cream treats that Whole Foods has started selling. I can see the appeal, but I haven't tried one.

On the mochi ice cream nuggets do check the dates on the packages.  I've gotten some rather old ones at times.  They don't age well.

I want pie.

I had cheese and crackers and grapes for mid-morning snack.

Apparently, I have all of the munchies today.

ARGH!  (Both as piratical approbation and the usual I'm-outta-likes-again)

• Like 2

I got home from my appointment to find a despondent DD13 sweeping the floor.  I thanked her for sweeping, then asked her what was wrong.  When she started sweeping she found a poor little dead lizard under our back door rug.  It apparently thought it would be safe under there.  Poor lizard.   :grouphug:   Poor DD. :grouphug:

• Like 3