Menu

Ignore this thread!

Scorpions and bunny poop. This thread is taking some interesting twists and turns. Any other wild/unruly creatures out there in people's laudry rooms?

ETA: I'm only posting to see if I can get to the top of the next page and say that cool word. Didn't work, though. Rats.

Yes, rats. Although, actually only one rat. Which was more than enough. Something to do with living in a small rural town and there being a few inches wide gap between the kitchen and the laundry room. 

I don't remember mooning anyone.

That's because you're the thread granny. Also, because, like I said, I quoted back-to-back posts out of context. You know you can go back to the original by clicking on the arrow in the top-right corner, right?

ETA: oh, and I made it to Marcus Aurelius's reign (and, the Parthians invade Armenia):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/161

Edited by luuknam
  • Like 4

#quotingbacktobackpostsoutofcontext

Speaking of mooning... A couple of weeks ago, we were outside with a different class. As we were lining up our class, I noticed a child from the other class messing with his belt (I couldn't tell if it had come loose or what). So, I kept watching to see what was going on. Two other boys started mooning other, back and forth. I just shook my head, and was like, "Ms. P, your kids are mooning each other back there." We had a good laugh...well, she also put a stop to it very quickly!  :lol:

• Like 4

Pinterst claims this. Pinterest claims a lot of things.

I read on Facebook earlier that lemons cure cancer. That's good to know.

Btw, Slache, how are you feeling?

Tired. My cervix and I have come to an agreement on its behavior. Is that what we're talking about?
  • Like 1

There was a woman with blue hair at the gym today. Like Kool-Aid blue. And the sides and back were shaved somewhat, and those areas were white-ish. She was older than me. She looked like a 12 year old experimenting with self-expression.

• Like 5

Okay, this was just wrong.  I was on another page that had some ads scrolling on the side, and one with some happy canoers carrying their canoe through the woods caught my eye.  The caption?  It was about pre-planning your own funeral.

Really.  So, someone has a Viking bent?  "Yeah, I want my wife and kids to carry me in a boat down to the water, set it afire, and send me off!"

I still want Philip Glass's Akhenaten played at mine. I'll skip the mummification process though. The Viking boat thing sounds neat, but knowing reality, getting a permit for that is probably a bitch. So, just a regular cremation, I guess.

• Like 2

I still want Philip Glass's Akhenaten played at mine. I'll skip the mummification process though. The Viking boat thing sounds neat, but knowing reality, getting a permit for that is probably a bitch. So, just a regular cremation, I guess.

So, I looked it up. Is it that 2 hour long song, or did you want a particular part? I mean, how long does it take to cremate someone? Perhaps while the song is playing, your people will talk about how wonderful you were, while you're...being cremated. Then, during a crescendo, you'll be presented in a nice urn, like a Pharaoh's organs. I'm just trying to picture this 2 hour thing, tis all.

• Like 3

So, I looked it up. Is it that 2 hour long song, or did you want a particular part? I mean, how long does it take to cremate someone? Perhaps while the song is playing, your people will talk about how wonderful you were, while you're...being cremated. Then, during a crescendo, you'll be presented in a nice urn, like a Pharaoh's organs. I'm just trying to picture this 2 hour thing, tis all.

I think I deserve 2 hours, don't you? I put more than 2 hours into reading this thread... But anyway:

Act I Scene 1: Funeral of Akhnaten's father Amenhotep III

Heralded by hammering drums, Aye and a small male chorus chant a funeral hymn in Egyptian, later joined by the full chorus. The music is basically a march, based on the chords of A majorand F♯ minor (with added major sixth),[2] and grows to ecstatic intensity towards the end.

Because a funerary march is so appropriate, and, also: 

Act I Scene 3: The Window of Appearances

After an introduction in A minor, dominated by tubular bells, Akhnaten sings a praise to the Creator (in Egyptian) at the window of public appearances. This is the first time he actually sings, after he has already been on stage for 20 minutes (and 40 minutes into the opera) and the effect of his countertenor voice (which in 1983 was even more rare than nowadays) is startling. He is joined by Nefertiti, who actually sings lower notes than he, and later by Queen Tye, whose soprano soars high above the intertwining voices of the royal couple.

Just because I really like that one. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Akhnaten_(opera)

Edited by luuknam
  • Like 5

I'm really sore from moving classroom stuff from room to another, and moving furniture from one side of a room to the other. I did most of the heavy work. Fortunately, I borrowed a wagon.

Speaking of hips, mine tried to give out twice. And I need my chiro because I'm twisted again. And I'm tired. And sore. And my feet hurt. And I was hoping perimenapause would start already, but no such luck.

I got a bit over 12,000 steps today.

I'm going to bake some apple coffee cake muffins and take them to the school tomorrow.

I attended a training series on my days off and got a $25 B&N gift card (everyone did). I don't know what to do with it.

Tomorrow, I'm going to get up at a decent time (note, I didn't say early) so I can water my garden and talk to my pretty plants. That makes me happy.

I can't find pj bottoms that aren't hot.

Um, I think that's all. For now.

• Like 4

I attended a training series on my days off and got a $25 B&N gift card (everyone did). I don't know what to do with it.

I could PM you an address to mail that card to. But anyway, aside from books, they also sell super overpriced chocolates and stuff at B&N.

Off to listen...

I'm not dead yet. 

• Like 1

I could PM you an address to mail that card to. But anyway, aside from books, they also sell super overpriced chocolates and stuff at B&N.

I'm not dead yet.

I want to hear it before you die. You weren't planning to die anytime soon, we're you?

I'll figure out something to spend the card on. Eventually.

Still on page 164 (and yes, I've read a little bit past this post, so I know how the sentence ends - just posting this for ikslo who's curious where I'm at, and for anyone who either doesn't remember or who wants to play at finishing the sentence). 

Finish this sentence:

Men in white yamakas are __________.

All we have in this house to eat is healthy stuff. It's really depressing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, then, you need to come on over here. We just had DS's graduation party and I served all kinds of carp!! Taquitoes, chips and salsa, chocolate cake, peanuts butter-chocolate ice cream and lunch.
  • Like 2

My summer reading list (since y'all are talking about books)

All Quiet on the Western Front by Remarque (I'm half way through) (I chose that book because we're reading a bio about Dietrich Bonhoeffer and it mentioned that he saw the movie when it came out and it had a profound impact on him and his view on war. The book is pretty amazing.)

The Good Spy:Life of Robert Ames by Kai Bird

The second installment of the Theodore Roosevelt Trilogy by Edmund Morris

An Erik Larson book about a serial killer at the Chicago World's Fair

• Like 4

I'm going to bed. DH opened all the windows since it is quite pleasantly cool out and we will have a chorus of frogs as a soundtrack to our dreams. Hopefully the train engineer from he11 will not come putzing through our town at 4:00am and sound his whistle extra loud at every. single. crossing.

• Like 2

Yes, rats. Although, actually only one rat. Which was more than enough. Something to do with living in a small rural town and there being a few inches wide gap between the kitchen and the laundry room. 

That's because you're the thread granny. Also, because, like I said, I quoted back-to-back posts out of context. You know you can go back to the original by clicking on the arrow in the top-right corner, right?

ETA: oh, and I made it to Marcus Aurelius's reign (and, the Parthians invade Armenia):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/161

I did not know that about that arrow!

• Like 2

That IS depressing. Who's the ITT chef? I'll send him in the helicopter.

Pierre does a lot of the general chef duties, but he also shares this task with many others.  What did you have in mind?  Maria does some wonderful things with chocolate....

• Like 3

I'm really sore from moving classroom stuff from room to another, and moving furniture from one side of a room to the other. I did most of the heavy work. Fortunately, I borrowed a wagon.

Speaking of hips, mine tried to give out twice. And I need my chiro because I'm twisted again. And I'm tired. And sore. And my feet hurt. And I was hoping perimenapause would start already, but no such luck.

I got a bit over 12,000 steps today.

I'm going to bake some apple coffee cake muffins and take them to the school tomorrow.

Tomorrow, I'm going to get up at a decent time (note, I didn't say early) so I can water my garden and talk to my pretty plants. That makes me happy.

I can't find pj bottoms that aren't hot.

Um, I think that's all. For now.

My nightshirts were both in need of laundering, so I slept in a t-shirt last night.  Because bottoms are too hot.

:grouphug:   I hope you get a restful happy day today.

• Like 2

My summer reading list (since y'all are talking about books)

All Quiet on the Western Front by Remarque (I'm half way through) (I chose that book because we're reading a bio about Dietrich Bonhoeffer and it mentioned that he saw the movie when it came out and it had a profound impact on him and his view on war. The book is pretty amazing.)

The Good Spy:Life of Robert Ames by Kai Bird

The second installment of the Theodore Roosevelt Trilogy by Edmund Morris

An Erik Larson book about a serial killer at the Chicago World's Fair

These all sound good.  I'm waiting for another pay period or two before I order in a copy of Ida M. Tarbell's History of the Standard Oil Company.  We read a lengthy excerpt from it (Chapter 1, or a sizable portion of Ch. 1) in writing class, and I quite like her writing style (so did the girls).  The discussion page introducing the excerpt talked about how she was quite critical of Rockefeller, but the first part of the book didn't get that far.  It was quite elucidating, however.  In my line of past work I had heard plenty about Spindletop and Texas oil, but I hadn't heard about the early days of oil back east.

• Like 1

I'm going to bed. DH opened all the windows since it is quite pleasantly cool out and we will have a chorus of frogs as a soundtrack to our dreams. Hopefully the train engineer from he11 will not come putzing through our town at 4:00am and sound his whistle extra loud at every. single. crossing.

This morning's soundtrack here is the Bobcat and dump trucks at the next door neighbor's.  I think they are putting in a pool.  They did wait until just before 8 AM before starting the ruckus, and they are being careful not to block driveways and the street.  Quite considerate for work crews around here.  

These neighbors are also to the dead end side of us, so with luck when the cement trucks come in we still won't be hampered in getting in and out of our driveway and the street.

• Like 2

Morning! I probably won't have internet until June or something (well, other than on my phone with my data plan, but I'm probably not posting anything to the forums for a few days).

We will miss you, but June isn't far away.  Take care, and don't hurt yourselves moving!

• Like 2