Menu

Ignore this thread!

If you get a fitbit you can join the WTM Fitbit group. I'm not in it and don't know anything about it. I think a step counter for someone with chronic illness might be depressing. I'm easily depressed though! [emoji23] :leaving:

There's a WTM fitbit group?

I have a super sleepy Captain Mal on me and my television will not turn on. Well, I guess it is technically turning on, but the screen isn't. It was working fine earlier and I can't get up to investigate because snoring toddler.

Sent from my HTCD160LVW using Tapatalk

• Like 3

I have a super sleepy Captain Mal on me and my television will not turn on. Well, I guess it is technically turning on, but the screen isn't. It was working fine earlier and I can't get up to investigate because snoring toddler.

Not on the hive, but they're all like "friends" on the fitbit app or something. I've never been in the group, but I think all hive members are welcome. Do you want me to find out about it?

Not on the hive, but they're all like "friends" on the fitbit app or something. I've never been in the group, but I think all hive members are welcome. Do you want me to find out about it?

I'm in the group. I think I had to have an invite by Ocelotmom. Having said that, I have done absolutely zero things with the group since joining.

• Like 4

I now have a blueberry dilemma:  This weekend family is coming down to visit.  This weekend is opening weekend for our local blueberry farm.  To pick or not to pick?  Hmm....

The following 3 weekends we also have other birthdays and visitings and Father's Day.  If I don't pick on any celebration weekends (to streamline gatherings and such) I am in danger of missing out on our blueberry picking season entirely.

What to do?....

Extended family field trip!

• Like 2

I am so emotionally drained, it's not even funny. Still processing and trying to figure out everything. So many pieces of the puzzle are still missing, but we're at least starting the puzzle. 

During our pre-evaluation visit, and based on a 30 second hello with my daughter, the neuropsych said "Based on what I can see, this might just be a case of above average parents viewing a normal child. But, we will test out the theory and see."  :rofl:  She was eating her words by the end of it. 

Within 10 minutes of trying to conduct the WPPSI-IV (preschool IQ test), she looked over at me and said "severe ADHD". Honestly, that was the most excruciating experience, watching my child act worse than she has ever acted and not being able to do a thing about it. I wanted to wring her neck. I THINK I may have stacked the deck in favor of this by not thinking and letting her have a coconut slush from Sonic for lunch. That, on top of being tired, and we had the perfect ADHD storm. 

So, long story short, the child definitely has ADHD and pretty bad. The NP said she was one of the worst cases she had seen and that the bad behavior (acting like a baby, screaming answers, not listening, and goofing off) was being reinforced somewhere - I guarantee it's at the preschool, because she doesn't act like that at home. 

She also said that there is most definitely a processing disorder somewhere, somehow. She said because of dealing with the attention issue today, she's not entirely sure where the breakdown is. She told me to go ahead and keep the eye appointment with the developmental optometrist (the one in my town was a joke. Total waste of money). She said to ask for visual perception and short term visual memory testing. I mentioned having the CTOPP done and she said that that would be wise as well - she was hinting about an animal puzzle and said "It's a b-b-b...." and kiddo said "PIG!"

Her overall IQ score is worrisome. She has quite a few categories below average, but she wants to see us in a year (ON the ADHD meds) to see how things are progressing. She thinks a big part of that is just because she can't process due to attention, but she wants to make sure. 
She highly recommended holding her back a year or homeschooling her as she is not ready behaviorally nor academically for a classroom setting. So we will be homeschooling. 

And I am exhausted and have cried all afternoon and I just want some chocolate cake. 

• Like 7

I'm in the group. I think I had to have an invite by Ocelotmom. Having said that, I have done absolutely zero things with the group since joining.

As much as I think I'm interested, I'm probably not really. I most likely wouldn't do anything with it either.

Mary, I'm glad that you are getting some answers even though it is so hard. I would get meds on board before further testing. It will give a clearer picture and will be better for her own self esteem because she will (presumably) be able to be more successful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Jean in Newcastle
  • Like 9

I am so emotionally drained, it's not even funny. Still processing and trying to figure out everything. So many pieces of the puzzle are still missing, but we're at least starting the puzzle. 

During our pre-evaluation visit, and based on a 30 second hello with my daughter, the neuropsych said "Based on what I can see, this might just be a case of above average parents viewing a normal child. But, we will test out the theory and see."  :rofl:  She was eating her words by the end of it. 

Within 10 minutes of trying to conduct the WPPSI-IV (preschool IQ test), she looked over at me and said "severe ADHD". Honestly, that was the most excruciating experience, watching my child act worse than she has ever acted and not being able to do a thing about it. I wanted to wring her neck. I THINK I may have stacked the deck in favor of this by not thinking and letting her have a coconut slush from Sonic for lunch. That, on top of being tired, and we had the perfect ADHD storm. 

So, long story short, the child definitely has ADHD and pretty bad. The NP said she was one of the worst cases she had seen and that the bad behavior (acting like a baby, screaming answers, not listening, and goofing off) was being reinforced somewhere - I guarantee it's at the preschool, because she doesn't act like that at home. 

She also said that there is most definitely a processing disorder somewhere, somehow. She said because of dealing with the attention issue today, she's not entirely sure where the breakdown is. She told me to go ahead and keep the eye appointment with the developmental optometrist (the one in my town was a joke. Total waste of money). She said to ask for visual perception and short term visual memory testing. I mentioned having the CTOPP done and she said that that would be wise as well - she was hinting about an animal puzzle and said "It's a b-b-b...." and kiddo said "PIG!"

Her overall IQ score is worrisome. She has quite a few categories below average, but she wants to see us in a year (ON the ADHD meds) to see how things are progressing. She thinks a big part of that is just because she can't process due to attention, but she wants to make sure. 

She highly recommended holding her back a year or homeschooling her as she is not ready behaviorally nor academically for a classroom setting. So we will be homeschooling. 

And I am exhausted and have cried all afternoon and I just want some chocolate cake. 

I am so sorry babe. This is all really good. You have answers! You will soon have more answers, and she is okay. She is safe, she is loved and she is okay. Everything is so much better than it looks right now, I promise. God is good. Hold on to Him.

• Like 6

Mary, I'm glad that you are getting some answers even though it is so hard. I would get meds on board before further testing. It will give a clearer picture and will be better for her own self esteem because she will (presumably) be able to be more successful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, I think that is going to be the approach I take. She has the appointment to have the eye exam next Wednesday, but I definitely think I'm going to call and get it rescheduled. 

Any recommendations on how long to be on the meds before testing? 

I am so sorry babe. This is all really good. You have answers! You will soon have more answers, and she is okay. She is safe, she is loved and she is okay. Everything is so much better than it looks right now, I promise. God is good. Hold on to Him.

I truly believe that the whole journey of quitting teaching, not getting the church job, and subsequently finding 2 amazing at-home jobs was setting me up to be able to do this. I'm cutting back to 20 hours on the insurance job and eventually quitting it completely. But, it is definitely ensuring that I can stay home and do this. 

John is very quiet tonight. He's processing and feels horrible about this. But, there's nothing we could really do to stop this. I truly think that a lot of this goes back to her birth - they had to work on her for a bit to get her breathing. Mom really think a lot of it's linked to the initial lack of oxygen. 

• Like 3

Yeah, I think that is going to be the approach I take. She has the appointment to have the eye exam next Wednesday, but I definitely think I'm going to call and get it rescheduled. 

It depends on the meds. Some act very quickly and some take a while to kick in. I'd probably want to schedule testing at least 2-3 months after starting meds, however and that's optimistic, because it can take some time to get it right. You deal with dose adjustments, med changes, etc. It's not easy. If you're lucky the first one will do the trick. If you're like us, it over a year before they realize, hey, the meds aren't working because the diagnosis is wrong!  :grouphug:

• Like 2

:grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug:

Now you have a start.  This will not be easy, but at least you know something of where to begin.

What do you think is in the slushy that might set her off?  If it's possibly the food coloring it might be wise to avoid certain artificial reds, blues, and yellows for a bit.  I know that doesn't leave much, but DD15 here did do better when she wasn't getting much artificial food color.

It sounds like this doc was suggesting checking for specific vision function issues, too -- when you do, see if the eye doc can also check for others.  If she does have some vision function issues (NOT acuity, which is in the eyeballs, but function, which is how the brain uses what the eyeballs deliver) vision function therapy can help.  Check acuity, too, though -- a far-sighted kid can actually manage to focus their eyes long enough to pass the typical school vision screening, so to truly rule out far-sightedness a more thorough test must be done.  Such was DD15's case -- passed every school vision screening, but was indeed far-sighted.  The interesting thing was her far-sightedness cleared up during vision function therapy.

Before finally being tested and diagnosed by a neuropsych here DD15 was being blamed for being "stubborn" and "uncooperative".  When it was explained to us (and written in a report we shared with her teachers and the school) that she honestly could NOT maintain concentration for 5 minutes (along with a host of other issues) it took a lot of pressure off, but we still ended up switching to homeschooling at the end of that school year.

More things to check for that might be contributing, too:  allergies, food sensitivities, and sensory issues.

You mentioned meds -- these can help (they certain help a couple of niblings of mine), though they mess with the kids' appetites (and possibly how food tastes to them).

Don't lose heart.  You can do this.  Come here whenever you need.   :grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug:

• Like 4

I truly believe that the whole journey of quitting teaching, not getting the church job, and subsequently finding 2 amazing at-home jobs was setting me up to be able to do this. I'm cutting back to 20 hours on the insurance job and eventually quitting it completely. But, it is definitely ensuring that I can stay home and do this. 

John is very quiet tonight. He's processing and feels horrible about this. But, there's nothing we could really do to stop this. I truly think that a lot of this goes back to her birth - they had to work on her for a bit to get her breathing. Mom really think a lot of it's linked to the initial lack of oxygen. 

That is all water under the bridge, and should not be fuel for any self-recriminations on anyone's part.   :grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug:  for John and your DD, too.  You all now know that she has a lot on her plate to learn to manage and will need help to understand it and figure it out.  Do start small -- don't do EVERY thing I posted a minute ago, but don't give up.  Take it in manageable bits.  She is young enough you can take a lot of leeway in how you handle her homeschooling for a while.

Remember this, too -- underneath all of that she has some areas of particular brilliance, too.  I guarantee this.  As you work with her you will start to see them, though she might need help to see them for herself.  

• Like 6

I heard about it too. I don't remember if I'm part of it, because those don't show up on the app, just on the website. Also, I just friend random people though, like Jean. If you pm me, I can send you my email, or vice versa, and we can add each other on the app.

:grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug:

Now you have a start.  This will not be easy, but at least you know something of where to begin.

What do you think is in the slushy that might set her off?  If it's possibly the food coloring it might be wise to avoid certain artificial reds, blues, and yellows for a bit.  I know that doesn't leave much, but DD15 here did do better when she wasn't getting much artificial food color.

It sounds like this doc was suggesting checking for specific vision function issues, too -- when you do, see if the eye doc can also check for others.  If she does have some vision function issues (NOT acuity, which is in the eyeballs, but function, which is how the brain uses what the eyeballs deliver) vision function therapy can help.  Check acuity, too, though -- a far-sighted kid can actually manage to focus their eyes long enough to pass the typical school vision screening, so to truly rule out far-sightedness a more thorough test must be done.  Such was DD15's case -- passed every school vision screening, but was indeed far-sighted.  The interesting thing was her far-sightedness cleared up during vision function therapy.

Before finally being tested and diagnosed by a neuropsych here DD15 was being blamed for being "stubborn" and "uncooperative".  When it was explained to us (and written in a report we shared with her teachers and the school) that she honestly could NOT maintain concentration for 5 minutes (along with a host of other issues) it took a lot of pressure off, but we still ended up switching to homeschooling at the end of that school year.

More things to check for that might be contributing, too:  allergies, food sensitivities, and sensory issues.

You mentioned meds -- these can help (they certain help a couple of niblings of mine), though they mess with the kids' appetites (and possibly how food tastes to them).

Don't lose heart.  You can do this.  Come here whenever you need.   :grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug:

I am getting us started back on the Trim Healthy Mama plan - no sugar, no "whites", etc. I have friends who have kids on the spectrum and kids with ADHD and their kids showed marked improvement in their symptoms. 

Her slush was blue. I know about the red dye, but wasn't sure if the others affected the same way. But, we are most definitely off the dyes. 

I do know that sugar affects her and maybe I subconsciously gave her sugar so she'd act out. Who knows. I honestly didn't think about it much. 

As for the eye exam, I'm going to call them tomorrow and talk to them more in depth. I think they said that at her age and not having been in school, they would have to do a modified test. But, along with seeing if they want her on meds or not, I'm going to see what exactly they will test. 

My dad is big into magnesium oil right now and has been talking about how a lot of issues are due to a magnesium deficiency. ADHD is one of those. I gave he and mom permission to try it on her this weekend to see if it would calm her down. If nothing else, it'll help her poop. HAHA

That is all water under the bridge, and should not be fuel for any self-recriminations on anyone's part.   :grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug:  for John and your DD, too.  You all now know that she has a lot on her plate to learn to manage and will need help to understand it and figure it out.  Do start small -- don't do EVERY thing I posted a minute ago, but don't give up.  Take it in manageable bits.  She is young enough you can take a lot of leeway in how you handle her homeschooling for a while.

Remember this, too -- underneath all of that she has some areas of particular brilliance, too.  I guarantee this.  As you work with her you will start to see them, though she might need help to see them for herself.  

Yeah, no recriminations really. We aren't ones to pass blame onto the other or onto those at her birth. Just processing, trying to figure out what and why (even though those answers are never easy to figure out. haha). 

As for brilliance, I am desperately trying to get John to let us get her into dance. I think she would do well. She wants to do ballet so much. (He wants her to take swim lessons first and we can only afford one thing right now, so swim it is...but I told him we have to consider ballet later.)

I also know she's got a wicked imagination and she LOVES to create things. I know she's brilliant in some way - and by golly, we WILL find it. 

• Like 8

St. Patrick's Cathedral - the fire department cleans an area up in the steeples and apparently after 9/11 when they were cleaned again, someone wrote the names of firefighters who lost their lives on 9/11 in the 9/11 dust. When this was discovered later, the dust-written names were protected with plexiglass.

The New York Public Library is not a public library the way we usually think of them. It's a private entity funded 2/3 through private funding and about 1/3 through government sources. The lions, Patience and Fortitude are made of pink marble from Tennessee.

Grand Central Station has a very felpful information booth.

The High Line is an amazing place to see architecture and watch people.

Times Square at night is quite amazing. Especially if it's Fleet Week and sailors are getting married.

• Like 9

I channeled my inner Xena (don't get weird, Slache) and did my yard work. Then I came in and put my wet load into the dryer and put a second load into the washer. Now I'm heating my knees.

It's not weird. Our love is pure.

• Like 5

Ok there is so much awesomeness to tell you about the broadway show but I will just mention 2.

First, a guy with his girlfriend would not shut up and early in the second half I finally caught his eye with my Laser Glare of Certain Impending Death and he shut up.

Second, the show's orchestra conductor wrote a choral piece that dd18 sang in the TN All-State Choir performance about a month ago and he actually flew down to attend the concert. After tonight's show dd18 went up to the pit (which amazed me considering how shy she can be) and said she had sung his piece and loved it etc. etc. and HE asked HER if he could take a selfie with her and signed her playbill thanking her for singing his piece. She was on cloud nine. 😊

• Like 13

Ok there is so much awesomeness to tell you about the broadway show but I will just mention 2.

First, a guy with his girlfriend would not shut up and early in the second half I finally caught his eye with my Laser Glare of Certain Impending Death and he shut up.

Second, the show's orchestra conductor wrote a choral piece that dd18 sang in the TN All-State Choir performance about a month ago and he actually flew down to attend the concert. After tonight's show dd18 went up to the pit (which amazed me considering how shy she can be) and said she had sung his piece and loved it etc. etc. and HE asked HER if he could take a selfie with her and signed her playbill thanking her for singing his piece. She was on cloud nine. 😊

I super like both of these things!

• Like 1

I did it!  I bought some BYB during the sale.  I bundled my own and ended up with 15 for $34.90. 

(Thanks, Slashie-poo!)

Here's what I got:

5 Ellen McHenry (everything except Elements, which we already have): Botany, Caron Chemistry, Cells, Protozoa, and Brain

Guest Hollow's Bio Schedule

Mapping the World with Art

Quark Chronicles: Anatomy

Teaching Literature through Art

Who Dun It Murder Mystery Lit & Writing

5 Unit Studies: Expedition Australia, Magnificent Frigatebird, Oceans, Owl, and Sharks

Okay.  I can go to bed now.

• Like 5

OK one more story. We were eating dinner at this pizza place and some rough talking "pants on the ground" guys sat at the table next to us. (If dh ever tweeted half the words they said he'd be fired right quick.) Then their pizza came and what was the first thing they did? Yep, they all bowed their heads and said grace. When they finished eating, they cleared the table, pushed in their chairs, and passed around the hand sanitizer. :D

• Like 7

I did it! I bought some BYB during the sale. I bundled my own and ended up with 15 for $34.90.

(Thanks, Slashie-poo!)

Here's what I got:

5 Ellen McHenry (everything except Elements, which we already have): Botany, Caron Chemistry, Cells, Protozoa, and Brain

Guest Hollow's Bio Schedule

Mapping the World with Art

Quark Chronicles: Anatomy

Teaching Literature through Art

Who Dun It Murder Mystery Lit & Writing

5 Unit Studies: Expedition Australia, Magnificent Frigatebird, Oceans, Owl, and Sharks

Okay. I can go to bed now.

I didn't give you the coupon so that you could not get Excavating English! I need to know all about Mapping The World With Art so you need to use it soon.

Good Thursday Morning!  

COFFEE!!!!

(((Mary)))  I can imagine the emotional roller coaster.  But you're on the right track!  (((Mary, John and Riv)))

SUSAN!  What an awesome night on Broadway.  I'm so proud of your dd!  

Day 2 of SAT-10 for middle dc.  Must.get.more.laundry.done.  

Coffee first!

• Like 4

Junie, I'm so glad dd has had improvement in her hearing!

AMJ, I got a couple thousand more steps in for you, which will be credited to your account.

Thank you so much!!  You are awesome! :hurray:  :hurray:

• Like 1

That's wonderful!!!!   :hurray:  :hurray:  :hurray:

• Like 1

Caffeine. Art later this morning, and then some school. I'm going to have to modify the schedule a little bit. The boys don't want to go past 1 or 2 in the afternoons, and I don't blame them. I'm kind of grumpy by then, too. That's on my to-do list later today. See what I can do to get us all finished a little bit earlier that doesn't involve starting earlier. If it can't be done, I'll tell them "tough" and purchase a violin so that I can accompany their whines. :nopity:

ETA: It's a Math n' Grammarville Booyah!

Edited by Critterfixer
  • Like 7