Menu

Ignore this thread!

So please tell me if this mama meltdown is justified and if my proposed action is ok. Ds19 has ALL but three of my dishes in his room. I gave up on the no eating in there rule but I have asked him repeatedly to bring dirty dishes out to the kitchen. Last night I nagged at him repeatedly and got growled at for my troubles. Well now I'm growling back. I want every single one of those dishes washed. Then I want him to go down to the store and get a pack of paper plates to use. He's banned from using my dishes.

Reasonable? Over the top?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You are a mild and gentle soul.

If that doesn't work, tell him that I will drive through Seattle on my way to Oregon this summer.

got-a-problem-smiley-emoticon.png

• Like 6

Have fun?

Nope, it's not gonna be fun.

Hopefully informative, at least.

I'm back. It was.... neither fun nor not fun. It just was. She excised 4.1 cm of skin, and cut down pretty deep. She did 2 layers of stitches - 4 dissolvable ones underneath and then 7 on the top. It doesn't hurt yet. But it's uncomfortable and hard to move, since it's right at the small of my back. Makes bending not quite right.
  • Like 2

Warning! TMI ahead!

Parenting is gross. Apparently, Captain Mal used his little training potty last night and didn't tell anyone. So it sat overnight and liquefied. He just came and asked me to get the "poop water" so he could use his potty again. I might've vomited just a little.

Sent from my HTCD160LVW using Tapatalk

Hooray for the initiative!  

I don't suppose you could train/trust him to dump his own?  Without spilling it all down the front of himself?

This stage goes quickly (in hindsight).   :D    :grouphug:

Yes.  And if you took this thread seriously you would have remembered that.  :toetap05:

Sorry -- I've been distracted.  Yay, new dishwasher!  Are you going to get one of the quiet ones?

• Like 1

Hooray for the initiative!

I don't suppose you could train/trust him to dump his own? Without spilling it all down the front of himself?

This stage goes quickly (in hindsight). :D :grouphug:

He wants to be very independent. He once tried to dump it alone and spilled a little before I got there to help him. So I asked him to let me know, which he usually does. But I think he used it right before bed last night and just forgot to say anything because he was tired.

ETA: I want him to use one of those seats that fit on top of the regular toilet, but he's still really small for his age and gets nervous up there.

Edited by lanalouwho
  • Like 4

What are you using for logic, again?  If I took this thread seriously, I might remember, but...

The Argument Builder, third after Art of Argument (first) and Discovery of Deduction (second).  First, second, third, we like them in that order -- in other words, we loved Art of Argument (informal logical fallacies delivered in a fun, cute way), liked Discovery of Deduction okay (formal logic intro delivered in a way a little reminiscent of Art of Argument but not quite like), and have been struggling through tedium with Argument Builder (book format like the other two but not the delivery of the subject matter -- more formal logic but mostly starting argumentation).

After AB I might have trouble getting either DD to consider any rhetoric or further logic/argumentation.

Reasonable and justified!

(We still have the no eating anywhere except the kitchen rule, here.  Because boys.)

After a cetain blow-out changing post just read a few posts previous my mind read this as "no eating andwhere except the kitchen floor"....

• Like 1

The talk about the dishes didn't go well so I have fled to the grocery stores. This gets me out of the way so hopefully there will be some calming down and compliance while I'm gone. Plus, it gets me walking early. Plus I get all the stuff for dinner already. So a win on all fronts - hopefully.

*irkedly perplexed*  What could he possibly hold against "You have denuded the kitchen entirely of dishes.  Please WASH and return them all to the cupboards."?

*sigh*  Teens.

• Like 1

It's a good thing that I have really big girl panties because I've needed them today.

On a good note, I've finally finished listening to audio of the 2 and a half hours of missed city council meeting that continued after I left last week.  I wouldn't normally make myself listen to all of that but someone told me that there was some important stuff that I missed, so I wanted to hear it. 

So was there?  Important stuff you missed?

I'm back. It was.... neither fun nor not fun. It just was. She excised 4.1 cm of skin, and cut down pretty deep. She did 2 layers of stitches - 4 dissolvable ones underneath and then 7 on the top. It doesn't hurt yet. But it's uncomfortable and hard to move, since it's right at the small of my back. Makes bending not quite right.

:grouphug:  :grouphug:

He wants to be very independent. He once tried to dump it alone and spilled a little before I got there to help him. So I asked him to let me know, which he usually does. But I think he used it right before bed last night and just forgot to say anything because he was tired.

ETA: I want him to use one of those seats that fit on top of the regular toilet, but he's still really small for his age and gets nervous up there.

I can understand his nervousness about the big seat, even with a smaller donut to put on it.  One night I decided I was big enough to use the big toilet by myself so I wouldn't have to wake my parents -- we had just the one bathroom at the time.  I didn't understand about the reason for having a seat that flipped up and down and figured it was just optional because my brother and Dad certainly seemed to prefer it being up.  It was up, so I decided to try the toilet that way and climbed up.  

And fell in.

My parents got woken up by my yelling.

Stinkin' Dad, leaving the seat up.

• Like 3

They had a televised concert of his a while back, and it was awful! His voice isn't what it used to be. IMNSHO, you would be better off not going anyway. Remember him as he was in his prime, and don't taint your memory. You can't un-hear it once you've heard it sung poorly.

This makes me feel much better about the fact that I will not be going.😋
  • Like 4

*irkedly perplexed*  What could he possibly hold against "You have denuded the kitchen entirely of dishes.  Please WASH and return them all to the cupboards."?

*sigh*  Teens.

It's more like *sigh* Aspie. As in rigid overwhelmed Aspie.  We finally made up with hugs.  He finally put the dishes  in the dishwasher and they are being cleaned. 

• Like 5

That sounds...not so fun. :grouphug:

• Like 2

I have a rambly educational question that I should keep to myself, because no matter what advice I get I won't like it.  

So (yes, I'm starting with So).  So, I've never been a big fan of the idea of devoting an entire school year to geography alone.  But.  IF I considered such a thing, (thinking about my next year 9th grader), I would possibly list the major countries by continent and decide how much time to spend on each.  But I would like to do a historical overview of each country / region - in fact perhaps spend as much time on that as on the cultural components.  Map work would theoretically make up the least amount of our time.  So, I don't think what I want exists.  I don't want a world history year.  I don't want a traditional geography year.  I'm thinking that what I want doesn't exist.  So, Heart of Dakota has a 9th grade guide with geography using a living book as a spine, but it's more of a history of exploration than what I'm looking for.  But the cool thing is that the guide includes plans for a world religion study.  That would be a natural thing to do alongside something geography focused.  

See, I told you it was rambly.  And there would be no advice that would fit what I want.  You can ignore me if you want.  (Goes without saying, right?   :D )

• Like 5

I have a rambly educational question that I should keep to myself, because no matter what advice I get I won't like it.  

So (yes, I'm starting with So).  So, I've never been a big fan of the idea of devoting an entire school year to geography alone.  But.  IF I considered such a thing, (thinking about my next year 9th grader), I would possibly list the major countries by continent and decide how much time to spend on each.  But I would like to do a historical overview of each country / region - in fact perhaps spend as much time on that as on the cultural components.  Map work would theoretically make up the least amount of our time.  So, I don't think what I want exists.  I don't want a world history year.  I don't want a traditional geography year.  I'm thinking that what I want doesn't exist.  So, Heart of Dakota has a 9th grade guide with geography using a living book as a spine, but it's more of a history of exploration than what I'm looking for.  But the cool thing is that the guide includes plans for a world religion study.  That would be a natural thing to do alongside something geography focused.  

See, I told you it was rambly.  And there would be no advice that would fit what I want.  You can ignore me if you want.  (Goes without saying, right?   :D )

We are doing Oak Meadow World Geography this year for 9th.  It only takes us 3 days a week.  It goes by continent.  Oak Meadow has projects that you can choose from which are pretty hands on.  You can often choose something like a world religion study.  Or you could add something on for the other two days a week. 

• Like 3

Rocky has an appointment this evening with the vet.  Dh wants to be there too in case it is bad news. 

It's an "I hope it isn't bad news" booyah. 

:grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug:

• Like 1

So (yes, I'm starting with So). So, I've never been a big fan of the idea of devoting an entire school year to geography alone. But. IF I considered such a thing, (thinking about my next year 9th grader), I would possibly list the major countries by continent and decide how much time to spend on each. But I would like to do a historical overview of each country / region - in fact perhaps spend as much time on that as on the cultural components. Map work would theoretically make up the least amount of our time. So, I don't think what I want exists. I don't want a world history year. I don't want a traditional geography year. I'm thinking that what I want doesn't exist. So, Heart of Dakota has a 9th grade guide with geography using a living book as a spine, but it's more of a history of exploration than what I'm looking for. But the cool thing is that the guide includes plans for a world religion study. That would be a natural thing to do alongside something geography focused.

See, I told you it was rambly. And there would be no advice that would fit what I want. You can ignore me if you want. (Goes without saying, right? :D )

That looks very interesting!!
  • Like 2

We copped out and went through a Glencoe World Geography textbook for geography last year. (I think it was last year....)  A little bit of political geography, some physical, some cultural.

• Like 2

We are doing Oak Meadow World Geography this year for 9th.  It only takes us 3 days a week.  It goes by continent.  Oak Meadow has projects that you can choose from which are pretty hands on.  You can often choose something like a world religion study.  Or you could add something on for the other two days a week. 

The year before we did world geography we did Philosophy For Kids and Religions Of the World as Good (global) Citizenship and philosophy.  

• Like 2

No idea on the curriculum.

If, however, you want some stuff for YOU to read in prep, a couple of suggestions:

The Revenge of Geography.  Dude has a seriously annoying, pedantic writing style, but the content is worth the slog.

Prisoners of Geography.  I'm not finished yet, but it looks good enough to buy.  Which I did.  :)

ETA:  This is more "political geography."  Which I think is more interesting.

Edited by JoJosMom
  • Like 2

Rocky is anemic almost to the point of needing a transfusion. Probably internal bleeding. Not treatable without a lot of money that we don't have. He may last days. Maybe months. Sent home with pain meds to make him comfortable.

:grouphug:  I'm sorry.  :(

• Like 1