Menu

Ignore this thread!

2 minutes ago, Slache said:

I feel that you should start a thread in the sea. I know it's against the rules but the hive is a treasure trove of information.

If I don't get any help here I'll start a thread tomorrow.  My brain is too tired to post in the sea right now.  :)

• Like 1

I am finally back. We drove 1 1/2 hours to my nephew’s graduatiion. He belongs to a homeschool charter. Two and a half hours was the length of that graduation. Yes, you heard that right - 2 1/2hours. They made personal remarks about every graduate. I was exhausted.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Insomnia

Bubble and boil,

Trouble and toil,

The sound of the kettle at four

Insomnia bites,

And so I won’t fight,

I’ll just get up and write some more.

Random Musings

I took my medicine for my back, slept delightfully from around 9 to 1, and now I'm wide awake and wired, and I haven't even had any caffeine yet. Sigh. Oh, well. In my manic state I finished a lengthy critique, and I'm fixing to start on this scene rewrite for Chapter 27. I'm running two days ahead of schedule for my self-imposed edits/revisions for the developmental edit in June. Maybe I should hurt my back more often. However, I know I'm going to pay for this tomorrow around three when I crash.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, ikslo said:

(((Critter)))

Oh, I'm quite the happy manic writer right now. Wrote on that tough scene until emotionally I had to take a break, and then worked on a query critique for the contest I lost, because the adult fantasy writers weren't getting enough love on their stories. I have three writers working over my query and someone working over my pitch, and one of the writers got back and told me my query was fantastic and I shouldn't change a thing. Some help he was! But I think the other two will be more useful with feedback. I have to do their queries tomorrow, but I want to get some questions asked for one. The other is really solid, and just needs more personal stakes. I might do her query before I have to go to work.

I should be so productive all the time, but I don't think I could stand it!:biggrin:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Good Saturday Morning!  COFFEE!  Taxi driver today - two have swim and one was invited to a graduation party ~50min/1hr. away.  

A Fafsa on poison ivy!  (((Paige)))  We should have met for prednisone instead of lunch!  

Congrats to all the Slaches on a new BIL to-be!

Krissi - that's crazy!  

Critter - hope you get 2nd sleep today and your back is feeling better!

Bookie - yay for Robin Hood and yay for coffee out!

Junie - I sometimes wear my regular athletic (running) shoes to church because there is just nothing else as comfortable out there (and we drive ~30 minutes each way and I like to drive with comfortable shoes as much as I like to stand and walk in comfortable shoes.  #lazy).  I theoretically prefer to dress nicer for church, but our church is casual enough that I'm not out of place in nice pants (or even jeans!).  I think I'm still too vain to wear athletic shoes with a dress or skirt, but I might get there someday.  (DId I mention how much I love my running shoes????  Don't tell Krissi, but I love them more than coffee.)

• Like 4

Good Morning!!

COFFEE!!~D 

i totally slept in this morning! It felt good!!

It’s going to be hot today. I have a graduation party to attend this morning!! Then i’m Going to a new nursery. We want to put in some Oklahoma Redbuds, so I need to find some. Then to the Afsa. 

If those of you who pray, could pray for my aunt. We were all at my mom’s Thursday night and she suddenly went blind in one eye. She thought it was a detached retina. Yesterday went to the eye doctor and found she’d had a “stroke” in her eye, which destroyed her vision in that eye. She called me last night at the party and told me. She was pretty shaken up. I’ve never heard of that happening.

• Sad 6

No slacker Saturday for me. Today we throw a funeral. I already plan to wear my running shoes with my little black dtess. While I am picking up and hauling trays of pancit and lumpia for the reception, that is. Then I will change into my nicer shoes for the service. 

The kicker today is that the main freeway is being totally shut down today right at the exit for the church. So it will be backroads that probably everyone else will be using as well. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 3

Mr. Ellie is off gallivanting around. Apparently he thinks that on his free days (aka weekends) he gets to go do things that he wants to do but can't during the week because he's, you know, the breadwinner. So I've been going through some papers that a cousin gave me that were our grandparents'--military records and certificates and last will and testament and stuff like that. I've scanned some and am planning to suck them into Ancestry. I did not know that my grandfather had enlisted in both the Coast Guard and the Navy. He never, ever talked about it. Of course, that was long before I was born and he was over it by then, but still...:-)

• Like 4

Jean, I hope traffic doesn't cause any problems today and that the whole day doesn't completely wipe you out!

(((Krissi's Aunt)))  My grandfather lost sight in one eye for the exact same reason.  It was many years ago.  I don't think he had any further related problems after that, but I wasn't always in the know. 

Did I tell y'all my dishwasher is broken?  Dh ordered a part for it, but we'll be washing by hand for awhile.  I'm catching up in spurts.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

My husband and three older boys went on a fathers and sons campout last night. I was home with the girls and little Kernel, so of course we had to make a fire and roast marshmallows. Then the girls slept in a tent in the yard.

• Like 5

15 hours ago, Junie said:

I realized a few weeks ago that I only need my cane when I am wearing my Sunday shoes.  I decided that I should try to find some shoes that won't hurt my feet so much and still look decent when I sing in the choir.

I went shoe shopping tonight and struck out.  ?

I always have a terrible time finding shoes to fit my fat feet.  The saleswoman was helpful and gracious and felt really bad that she wasn't able to find something that would fit.

8 1/2 extra wide is just plain hard to accommodate.

One shoe that I tried on was a European size 40.  I made a comment about my shoe size (almost) matching my age.  She was flabbergasted that I was 40 (and a few more).  So that was nice, but I still don't have shoes that are church appropriate.

ETA:  Shoe-ya!

Same shoe size.  Same problem.  https://www.trotters.com/product/Black Suede/sarina

The link is to what I wear.  I tried them on at the Walking Company shoe store.  They are comfortable for short periods of time.  I have women all the time asking me where I got them because they want to get some too. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Same shoe size.  Same problem.  https://www.trotters.com/product/Black Suede/sarina

The link is to what I wear.  I tried them on at the Walking Company shoe store.  They are comfortable for short periods of time.  I have women all the time asking me where I got them because they want to get some too. 

Those are super pretty!

I have a pair of 1/2" (?) black pumps by Me Too that I can wear for hours.  Don't know why they are so comfortable.  They are the only heels I ever wear.  

47 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Dd wadded up her dress clothes and stuffed them in her backpack. Grrr.  I definitely had to iron those and made her then hang them up in the car.  And she had the gall to be miffed at me for it. . .      (Don't worry.  We both will have forgotten about it in about 15 minutes. . . ) 

Argh.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ThatBookwormMom said:

Mental illness is evil. Not the mentally ill person, but the illness.

I am praying for all of you. I'm sorry I'm not responding more personally, but you're all in my prayers.

Yes.

Yes it is.

Mental illness is an ugly, ravenous beast that tries to gobble up not only the person affected but everyone who is close to that person.

Sending hugs((()))

• Like 2

I’m back. Went to a graduation party.??? I hate socializing. I hate it, I hate it, I hate it. Then we went to a new nursery, well, new to us. It was very nice. Got two Oklahoma Redbuds got the backyard. And a couple 6 packs of zinnias and a six pack of marigolds.

Now, off to The Afsa. Bleh!!

• Like 2

Ok, so question. I am having Father’s Day here. I am planning on having: pulled pork sandwiches, baked beans, chips and pico de gallo and a fruit salad. Do your I think I should throw a potato salad in there, too?? I make a mean potato salad,  but... I just don’t want too much food.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, ikslo said:

I went shopping and actually found two bathing suits that fit and don’t make me look (too) fat, and they were on sale.  Win.

Where? I don't have a bathing suit yet and the pool opened last weekend.

19 hours ago, Junie said:

I realized a few weeks ago that I only need my cane when I am wearing my Sunday shoes.  I decided that I should try to find some shoes that won't hurt my feet so much and still look decent when I sing in the choir.

I went shoe shopping tonight and struck out.  ?

I always have a terrible time finding shoes to fit my fat feet.  The saleswoman was helpful and gracious and felt really bad that she wasn't able to find something that would fit.

8 1/2 extra wide is just plain hard to accommodate.

One shoe that I tried on was a European size 40.  I made a comment about my shoe size (almost) matching my age.  She was flabbergasted that I was 40 (and a few more).  So that was nice, but I still don't have shoes that are church appropriate.

ETA:  Shoe-ya!

Zappos returns are pretty good. DSW returns can be made online or to the store.

You might check out Vionics. They are expensive upfront compared to Naturalizer but the inshoe support is pretty good. I tend to go for dress wedges or kitten heels  as they offer more stability than the standard pump....but a quality shoe will distribute your weight well (ie, not all on the toe ball) and keep you stable.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, ikslo said:

Boscovs

Never heard of it. I'll try Walmart. :mellow:

5 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

What color?

Lighter blonde. It's been getting darker so I bought an ashy lavender to contrast my natural red and get more of a dark Barbie. I also got dark purple for Mary. She likes strips of pink or purple.

IT'S A PURPLE MOOIES BOOYA!

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

Dd told me yesterday that I have blue stuff stuck in my hair. Apparently my white hairs look blue to her. I am still contemplating whether I should go back to covering my grey. I hate the time and expense involve to look good for two weeks after my dye job before my roots start showing.

I liked your hair.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

Dd told me yesterday that I have blue stuff stuck in my hair. Apparently my white hairs look blue to her. I am still contemplating whether I should go back to covering my grey. I hate the time and expense involve to look good for two weeks after my dye job before my roots start showing.

don't do it. Embrace the gray!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

(((Bookie)))  One of my brothers used to say he was saving for my kids' therapy instead of college since we were homeschooling.  (First of all, I never asked for contributions for their college, but whatever.)  Now, 15 years later he has kids for the first time.  I'm keeping my mouth shut!  

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

5 hours ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

I like those!

These are a some of the other shoes that I'm considering:

https://www.zappos.com/p/softwalk-napa-black-soft-dull-leather-patent/product/8080507/color/641151

https://www.zappos.com/p/walking-cradles-bronwyn-luggage-soft-maia/product/8818163/color/483274

https://www.zappos.com/p/walking-cradles-fall-tobacco-leather/product/8973078/color/3580

https://www.zappos.com/p/soft-style-angel-ii-red/product/7219129/color/585

• Like 1