Menu

Ignore this thread!

fluticasone is the generic name for Flonase.  It's a nasal corticosteroid.  It helps bring all of the inflammation down and keeps your nose from starting subsequent allergic reactions. While it obviously helps with sneezing, runny nose, itchy eyes, and congestion, since most people breathe through their nose, it also lessens the overall allergic load on the body.

Flonase is also sold (same chemical!) as an inhaler called Flovent. That requires a RX, but since Ducky's project is short term, I don't know that she needs a daily maintenance drug for her asthma--though it's certainly worth the conversation since she also needs to talk about the albuterol inhaler that she definitely needs.

Speaking of which, Ducky, I have had friends die from asthma attacks. Go get some albuterol, please.  Severe attacks can come on quickly and out of the blue---we have had some scares with our kids.

• Like 2

Well that was exciting! Both my carry-on and box of souvenirs and dh's carry-on and laptop were searched in security. It seems they were puzzled by the pasta and wrapped cheeses. It's possible they were hungry and wanted to test out the porchetta. 😠I'm glad we are here super duper early.

• Like 7

Matt rotates teaching Sunday School with some other dudes. He just started a series on Satan's relationship with and manipulation of man and *that* woman from church has decided she's not going to Sunday School until someone else is preaching again. Because that really shows how much better she is than us?

• Like 2

Well that was exciting! Both my carry-on and box of souvenirs and dh's carry-on and laptop were searched in security. It seems they were puzzled by the pasta and wrapped cheeses. It's possible they were hungry and wanted to test out the porchetta. 😠I'm glad we are here super duper early.

We've been watching a lot of those border security shows on Netflix (Canada, Australia), and girl, wrapping up food always throws security for a loop, lol! 

• Like 4

We've been watching a lot of those border security shows on Netflix (Canada, Australia), and girl, wrapping up food always throws security for a loop, lol! 

Border security has legitimate issues with transporting food though - parasites, bugs etc. that can be transported into a country in fruit etc.  My ILs always had stuff confiscated because they just never were able to understand this despite it happening every. single. time.  (And since we are fairly close to the Canadian border and have relatives there, it was numerous times a year.) 

• Like 2

In the saga that is my life, dh has gone to visit MIL.  I have dropped dd off at volunteering.  I checked out ds' ear and OregaMax seems to be doing the trick.  His ear drum is no longer bright red but is just slightly pinker than it should be.  He says that it doesn't hurt.  So no urgent care necessary, in my opinion. 

So now after having a quick sit with the computer, I'm going to multi-task by calling one of the camp directors and talking to her while folding laundry. 

• Like 7

In the saga that is my life, dh has gone to visit MIL. I have dropped dd off at volunteering. I checked out ds' ear and OregaMax seems to be doing the trick. His ear drum is no longer bright red but is just slightly pinker than it should be. He says that it doesn't hurt. So no urgent care necessary, in my opinion.

So now after having a quick sit with the computer, I'm going to multi-task by calling one of the camp directors and talking to her while folding laundry.

Glad the ear is looking better! Do you have an ear-o-scope?

You are more coordinated than I. ðŸ˜

• Like 4

Border security has legitimate issues with transporting food though - parasites, bugs etc. that can be transported into a country in fruit etc.  My ILs always had stuff confiscated because they just never were able to understand this despite it happening every. single. time.  (And since we are fairly close to the Canadian border and have relatives there, it was numerous times a year.) 

The other thing is, they are looking for drugs. If they can't figure out via scan/xray/whatever what something may be (packed weird, density varies, etc.), they'll open it. Sometimes drugs are packed like foods, too.

• Like 1

Slache and Renai, which Explorer Bible Study are you using?

(Sorry - no educational warning, lol).

http://www.explorerbiblestudy.org/products/anditwasgood

It's everything I wanted BSGFAA to be, but simpler to implement and better for Mary at this time. I absolutely love and recommend it, though I haven't seen the upper levels.

I used the one that Slache has with Dancer because I started younger. I'm using this one with Gymnast:  http://www.explorerbiblestudy.org/products/GodsPromises . It's the next step up.

• Like 2

Slache and Renai, which Explorer Bible Study are you using?

(Sorry - no educational warning, lol).

http://www.explorerbiblestudy.org/products/anditwasgood

It's everything I wanted BSGFAA to be, but simpler to implement and better for Mary at this time. I absolutely love and recommend it, though I haven't seen the upper levels.

I used the one that Slache has with Dancer because I started younger. I'm using this one with Gymnast:  http://www.explorerbiblestudy.org/products/GodsPromises . It's the next step up.

Mom and I were just talking about Bible curriculum. I'm going to check this out. 

• Like 2

Tramadol is good, but I found that my big dog was probably more comforted by having his head petted than he was by medication. You'll want to get a large blanket to shift him onto so that he can be lifted when your DH gets home. You may even be able to encourage him to get onto it by inching it underneath him gently. 

• Like 4

Cut and pasted from my panic attack on Critter's accountability thread:

I'm overwhelmed.

Dd is still having symptoms of whatever it is. The lab results didn't come in Friday so now we have to wait until Tuesday.

Ds has an ear infection. I think that I might need to take him to urgent care today so that's we can get some actual antibiotics.

I'm still so far behind in grading and that means that I don't have a handle on where Dd is in her subjects.

Dh is underfoot because holiday weekend.

I have to really get serious about preparing for a speaking engagement that I have coming up. And I also need to get serious about preparing for teaching at summer Bible camp. (And my mom and sister are visiting the week before camp so the house will need to be clean etc. too. Camp isn't until the end of August so if I get on the ball it shouldn't be as issue but It's hard to get on the ball when you already feel like you're drowning.

It will all work out in the end. It always does. I'm just freaking out here so I can get it out of my system before trying to tackle the day.

Oh- and MIL is dying. It's not necessarily imminent but she's declining and is barely eating.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug:

• Like 2

Rocky has suddenly and catastropically lost all function of his back legs.  The vet is closed for the weekend.  The humane society is also closed though they are open tomorrow (though I don't know if that includes euthanization services).  I'm trying to figure out what to do.

:grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug:

Edited by JoJosMom
  • Like 2

Inhaler. Not epi-pen for that.

Those symptoms would need an inhaler, not an epipen, if it's asthma.

My asthma came on as part of my autoimmune dysfunction. I'd get an albuterol inhaler to have on hand (requires rx), to rescue you when you get to the wheezing/coughing point.

FWIW, you might also consider an over the counter fluticasone nose spray. ($10ish) It takes a couple of weeks to kick in, but you're at peak allergies for the next few weeks with grass pollens, mold pollens from rainfalls, etc.

fluticasone is the generic name for Flonase.  It's a nasal corticosteroid.  It helps bring all of the inflammation down and keeps your nose from starting subsequent allergic reactions. While it obviously helps with sneezing, runny nose, itchy eyes, and congestion, since most people breathe through their nose, it also lessens the overall allergic load on the body.

Flonase is also sold (same chemical!) as an inhaler called Flovent. That requires a RX, but since Ducky's project is short term, I don't know that she needs a daily maintenance drug for her asthma--though it's certainly worth the conversation since she also needs to talk about the albuterol inhaler that she definitely needs.

Speaking of which, Ducky, I have had friends die from asthma attacks. Go get some albuterol, please.  Severe attacks can come on quickly and out of the blue---we have had some scares with our kids.

Y'all are awesome.  I felt much better by noon today.  Still a little tightness in the chest but not bad.

Prairie - I'm already using fluticasone and zyrtec (whenever symptoms start, but esp this time of year) but I never heard of Flovent....maybe that's a worthwhile option.  I only once before had this wheezing, at the tail-end of a bout with pertussis.  But overall my allergies are worsening with time. Thanks for sharing!  And thanks also for the warning to take it seriously.  Internet said I should, but then again, they say to see your doctor about everything, so I never know what to take seriously.  I'll call our dr after the holiday.

I got all the kids junk and clothes sorted out and relocated  today (we are turning one large bedroom into two small ones, so everything needs to be relocated to its proper side.) Dh did a little more demolition after church and hopefully will get the electrical and framing done tomorrow.  Maybe even the drywall, though I'm not counting on it.  I hung a lot of framed photos that have sat in storage for two years.  It's nice to feel like our master bedroom is "finished" again.   :hurray:

• Like 8

Also also...

Someone posted a video-walkthrough on facebook of the 110 year-old middle school I attended as a kid.  It's been condemned for decades and will be torn down in a few weeks.  

While it's in awful shape now, it was never in great shape, and was rife with problems of every kind.  Gave me chills just seeing it again. Reason #426 that I'm homeschooling!  

• Like 4

Okay, here's the deal.  If we're going to be internet friends and share all the hard stuff, we really need to be where we can be physically close and share everyone's burdens and stuff.  Because I'm feeling highly inadequate right now.

Critter, I certainly hope that you're working on that manuscript, young lady.  And who is the assigned real estate agent?  Doesn't HGTV have a show about island life?  Maybe they can help locate our destination?

I need a job.  Someone tell me what to do.

• Like 9