Menu

Ignore this thread!

2 hours ago, Susan in TN said:

It's November 10th.  You didn't miss anything.

Thank you.

2 hours ago, Susan in TN said:

I had to look that up. 

You forgot the ¿

1 hour ago, Æthelflæd said:

Oh wow I lost my blue hand. Slache will be happy! 

That means it's time.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

I threw in the white towel and ordered take out.  I just could not face figuring out what to cook today in my "field kitchen" (ie. a hot plate and a crock pot.)

You can’t make anything with a hot plate and a crock pot. Yay for take-out.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Good Morning!!!

COFFEE!!!~D

Humph Day!!!!

Veteran’s Day! We are thankful to those among us who have served in the Armed Forces to help preserve our freedoms.

The kids have school off (except oldest DD, her school took Veteran’s Day on  Monday), but I have two family meetings and a ton of catch-up work to do.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Æthelflæd said:

Muy bien. 

All is well. Just thought I would pop in and say hi!

Igzack is growing too fast. Slache you should put bricks on his head at night. This is unacceptable. Someone is going to need to have another baby if this keeps up with the growing like crazy and whatnot. 

Not It!

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

14 hours ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

I threw in the white towel and ordered take out.  I just could not face figuring out what to cook today in my "field kitchen" (ie. a hot plate and a crock pot.)

9 hours ago, KrissiK said:

You can’t make anything with a hot plate and a crock pot. Yay for take-out.

Sorry I'm so late seeing this. I admit I don't know what a hot plate is, but a crockpot is absolutely doable. Chicken and dumplings, mac n cheese, roast with veggies, chili, meatballs in sauce, loaded potato soup..... I don't know you're family dietary restrictions or preferences, though.

• Like 2

Good morning, ITT!

Mr. Ellie is off today (he works from home, but he *WORKS* from home). I thought we were taking a field trip to a nearby faraway town, but he's replacing the filters in the reverse osmosis unit under the kitchen sink, which he's had for over a week and could have done last weekend, and so I can't fix breakfast or wash my hair yet. No, I'm not bitter [she said bitterly].

So I'm messing around on Ancestry, trying to figure out how to order a delayed birth certificate for my mother. She was born at home in 1935; I have already requested a birth certificate from Virginia and didn't get anything, which means they didn't find one on record. IDK if delayed birth certificates are filed some place else? Also, apparently I need documentation about her death. I have applied for membership to a certain organization for which I know I qualify; I sent several pieces of documentation, and this is the only thing that they've asked me about. o_0

That is all.

• Like 2
  • Sad 3

2 hours ago, Servant4Christ said:

Sorry I'm so late seeing this. I admit I don't know what a hot plate is, but a crockpot is absolutely doable. Chicken and dumplings, mac n cheese, roast with veggies, chili, meatballs in sauce, loaded potato soup..... I don't know you're family dietary restrictions or preferences, though.

A hot plate is one burner that you plug in. 

I am making lots of (gluten free, dairy free) meals in the crockpot. I just reached my limit (temporarily) last night!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ellie said:

Good morning, ITT!

Mr. Ellie is off today (he works from home, but he *WORKS* from home). I thought we were taking a field trip to a nearby faraway town, but he's replacing the filters in the reverse osmosis unit under the kitchen sink, which he's had for over a week and could have done last weekend, and so I can't fix breakfast or wash my hair yet. No, I'm not bitter [she said bitterly].

So I'm messing around on Ancestry, trying to figure out how to order a delayed birth certificate for my mother. She was born at home in 1935; I have already requested a birth certificate from Virginia and didn't get anything, which means they didn't find one on record. IDK if delayed birth certificates are filed some place else? Also, apparently I need documentation about her death. I have applied for membership to a certain organization for which I know I qualify; I sent several pieces of documentation, and this is the only thing that they've asked me about. o_0

That is all.

Delayed birth certificate? Is this like back in the day when everyone was born at home and the dr travelled through and recorded the births that had occurred while he was away? That's how it was for my grandparents. The dr actually filed paperwork with the wrong birthday for my grandpa and wouldn't you know that my grandpa passed away on a day between the two dates that are only a week apart. Caused quite a mess of paperwork.

• Like 2

Back to working on camp.  Last year I had written 7 out of 9 lessons (just the content part, not the activities) before pulling the plug because of Covid.  I was dissatisfied with some of the beginning lessons but I always edit.  I went back and read through them today and then combined lessons 2 and 3.  I will tell you tomorrow if I still think that is a good idea!  I left a copy of what I had originally written in case I don't like it.  I still don't know what will happen this summer (does anyone?!) but I'm still getting this together.  I have a lot of work to do still.  Especially since I had agreed last year to write a workbook to go with it and I never even got to that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Servant4Christ said:

Delayed birth certificate? Is this like back in the day when everyone was born at home and the dr travelled through and recorded the births that had occurred while he was away? That's how it was for my grandparents. The dr actually filed paperwork with the wrong birthday for my grandpa and wouldn't you know that my grandpa passed away on a day between the two dates that are only a week apart. Caused quite a mess of paperwork.

Not all home births included doctors. 🙂 But yes, a birth was not recorded anywhere except maybe the family Bible, and years later the person needs a birth certificate, so he jumps through hoops and comes up with some sort of proof that he was born when and where he said he was born, and the guvment issues a delayed birth certificate.

Some people wonder why some of us are so fussy with the paperwork. Your grandfather's situation is why.

• Like 3

The bengay is helping.

Everyone needs to stop putting "Isaac" on the gratitude list. He's 3 months old.

37 minutes ago, Junie said:

My mother still doesn't have a birth certificate.  The doctor forgot to file the paperwork and by the time the family realized the mistake, the doctor was deceased.

This is a strange problem.

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, Ellie said:

Not all home births included doctors. 🙂 But yes, a birth was not recorded anywhere except maybe the family Bible, and years later the person needs a birth certificate, so he jumps through hoops and comes up with some sort of proof that he was born when and where he said he was born, and the guvment issues a delayed birth certificate.

Some people wonder why some of us are so fussy with the paperwork. Your grandfather's situation is why.

Yep. My grandfather gave up trying to fix his because the place where his birth certificate was filed burned in a fire years and years ago and there was no other record of his birth. He just said the fact he was standing there oughta be proof enough that he was born. Lol

• Like 4

@Critterfixer I stumbled onto this that I copied last year from you. It still resonates with me today. Thank you for your words of wisdom.

Reassure your son that "failed quizzes" are not a sign of failure. They are simply saying that he's got things to learn, and that's fine. Don't panic. It's okay. 

It's not unusual to struggle more at the outset of something new, and it's not abnormal to "not get it" when the concepts are fairly new, and/or involve things that haven't been previously mastered. It's also (sadly) not uncommon for a young man at a certain age to struggle with recall of things that they absolutely "knew" the day before. Remember to spend lots of time reassuring your guys that their brains aren't broken, simply short-circuiting at times, and they will get through this if they are patient and willing to "relearn" things when they need to. 

--Critterfixer 12/18/2019

Edited by Servant4Christ
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Slache said:

This is a strange problem.

Yes, it is.  I have no idea how she ever got a driver's license.  And I have no idea about social security.  I mean, her name is on my birth certificate, so one can assume that she is at least a certain number of years older than I am.  But, really, there's no proof. 

I know some people with genealogy groups (such as the Mayflower) require proof of ancestry.  Well, since my mother can't prove that she is her father's daughter, I can't prove the ancestral line either.  It's not really important to me to "prove" it, which is a good thing because it is unlikely to ever happen.

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

41 minutes ago, maize said:

Good night.

My bed is in the basement. It's coldish down here.

Everything I've read about sleep science says people sleep better in a cool room but I don't sleep well if my nose is cold.

This is why I have a space heater by my bed.

Nope.  Cool is fine - cold nose is too cold!

• Like 3

I am beat. The kids didn’t have school, but I worked. Two family visits, one was fair-to-middlin’, but the other went well. And I made Slides for a Parent University seminar I am giving on Why to teach Latin. Now, I get to crack the whip over DS to get an essay written and start reading that Bonhoeffer book a couple of you mentioned a few pages back.

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, Junie said:

Yes, it is.  I have no idea how she ever got a driver's license.  And I have no idea about social security.  I mean, her name is on my birth certificate, so one can assume that she is at least a certain number of years older than I am.  But, really, there's no proof. 

I know some people with genealogy groups (such as the Mayflower) require proof of ancestry.  Well, since my mother can't prove that she is her father's daughter, I can't prove the ancestral line either.  It's not really important to me to "prove" it, which is a good thing because it is unlikely to ever happen.

When I was in the Navy they lost both my birth certificate and Social Security card. Along with all of my paperwork. That was fun. In order to get a Social Security card I needed my birth certificate and in order to get my birth certificate I needed someone to vouch for me. There were people sitting outside the birth certificate office willing to vouch for you for $50. I built an entire identity on fraud. I'm really me, but I could totally not be in no one would know the difference.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2