• Replies 216.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Slache

• Susan in TN

• Jean in Newcastle

• KrissiK

I just saw an email from my boss. She found some wiggle room in the budget and is giving us each $750 for classroom furniture. Now, I get to go furniture shopping for alternative classroom seating. I'm thinking a futon, some saucer and butterfly chairs, some video game recliners, and maybe some pub tables/bar stools. Super excited!

It's so nice to have a principal who considers what the teachers want for their students. 

• Like 9

We are back from a 2-hour bike ride. Well, most of it was riding. We did park the bikes to check out the toy store that closed (boooo!) and visit the bookstore (yay!). Oh, have you seen the HP illustrated by Jim Kay? It's gorgeous!! The store has a very nice collection of used and antique books, too. Well worth a bike ride into town. It also makes a parent's heart happy to hear her child exclaim over such a beautiful edition of The Odyssey. :) We also saw a man with a curly French mustache.

On the way back we stopped at the grocery store to get some ice creams. Only one "biker gang" comment the whole trip. :D

• Like 6

We are back from a 2-hour bike ride. Well, most of it was riding. We did park the bikes to check out the toy store that closed (boooo!) and visit the bookstore (yay!). Oh, have you seen the HP illustrated by Jim Kay? It's gorgeous!! The store has a very nice collection of used and antique books, too. Well worth a bike ride into town. It also makes a parent's heart happy to hear her child exclaim over such a beautiful edition of The Odyssey. :) We also saw a man with a curly French mustache.

On the way back we stopped at the grocery store to get some ice creams. Only one "biker gang" comment the whole trip. :D

I am envious! I would love to go on a bike ride! Bike riding on roads makes me nervous, though.
  • Like 2

I just saw an email from my boss. She found some wiggle room in the budget and is giving us each $750 for classroom furniture. Now, I get to go furniture shopping for alternative classroom seating. I'm thinking a futon, some saucer and butterfly chairs, some video game recliners, and maybe some pub tables/bar stools. Super excited!

It's so nice to have a principal who considers what the teachers want for their students.

Can you get a standing desk for the wiggliest ones as well? Props to your boss.

• Like 6

Oh, and I think I've chosen Shadow Taupe for the new carpet that will be used in our ground level basement (off the garage, has one window), staircase, and family room.  It's really part of the gray family, but more of a taupe-gray than blue-gray or green-gray.  We are sprucing up to sell, so I am aiming for the gray because it is the most popular neutral right now.  I think stoney blue-grays seem to be the most popular right now, but our upholstery is "seagrass" (which is really a blend of browns).   I thought the blue-grays looked really....well, blue again the furniture.  Our house has the palest of butter yellow paint on the walls, with crisp white trim, so that's a factor too.  

What do y'all think?  Depending on the light, it can either be light gray or dark gray, sometimes with more of a taupe tone than other times.  If you were looking to buy our house, would you love it? Hate it?  Just be thankful it's new and doesn't smell of urine?

• Like 3

Critter - you know that tri-colored bumblebee that was in my birdhouse?  He definitely lives there. . .    I started to gingerly take the house off of the wrought iron post that it was attached to and he came barreling out at me again.  Fortunately he did not sting me.  I feel badlly for taking his post but I really do need it for the bird feeders.  I put his house on the ground.  I hope he doesn't mind.  I like the idea of having a resident bumble as long as I know where he is.  And he is a handsome fellow. 

• Like 8

Can you get a standing desk for the wiggliest ones as well? Props to your boss.

One standing desk with foot rest (Safco brand) is $300. :( I really don't want to spend 40% of my budget on one desk. :(

Unless you know where there might be some cheaper? If so, PLEASE pass it along! It's not easy to find budget-friendly classroom furniture. I'm trying to get the most possible seating with the least amount of money. I've already poured over $500 of my own money into my class seating this year!)

In my room right now, I have a kneeling table, I have two round tables, 4 rectangular tables (just what we could scrounge from storage), 5 bean bags, 3 balance balls, and 2 saucer chairs.

I'm going to get rid of 2 of the rectangular tables and hopefully replace them with 1 (possibly 2) pub height/counter height tables. Those could easily be stood at since they're usually 36" (a good height for my kiddos right now). 

I had a "stander" last year, but he was my only one in the last 5 years. The rest prefer to lay on the floor or sit under the tables/desks. 

• Like 4

Aaaaand......

So cool about your classroom, Mary!  Does a Keurig count as furniture?

Susan and JJM --- I envy your outside time!   

Ellie - how are you feeling?? 

Don't I wish! 

I actually have one I'm wanting to get rid of, but taking it to school might be a decent alternative. 

A co-worker is moving to Nigeria next year. Maybe I can buy her mini-fridge off of her and keep my creamers in the room too!! 

• Like 3

Critter - you know that tri-colored bumblebee that was in my birdhouse?  He definitely lives there. . .    I started to gingerly take the house off of the wrought iron post that it was attached to and he came barreling out at me again.  Fortunately he did not sting me.  I feel badlly for taking his post but I really do need it for the bird feeders.  I put his house on the ground.  I hope he doesn't mind.  I like the idea of having a resident bumble as long as I know where he is.  And he is a handsome fellow. 

How interesting. I wonder if it is male. I don't know how aggressive male bumblebees are--the behavior would seem to me to be that of a female. I'm going to have to do some reading on the tri-colored bumblebee.

I spent much of my afternoon up on a ladder in the office, watching the chimney while DH poured water on the roof to try to find the leak. We did find the place where it is coming in, but it is really strange. We have an idea for how to stop it, but I don't know. Just have to try and see.

ETA: On the bee-queens are 17-19 mm long, males and workers in the 9-13 mm range.

Edited by Critterfixer
  • Like 2

How interesting. I wonder if it is male. I don't know how aggressive male bumblebees are--the behavior would seem to me to be that of a female. I'm going to have to do some reading on the tri-colored bumblebee.

I spent much of my afternoon up on a ladder in the office, watching the chimney while DH poured water on the roof to try to find the leak. We did find the place where it is coming in, but it is really strange. We have an idea for how to stop it, but I don't know. Just have to try and see.

ETA: On the bee-queens are 17-19 mm long, males and workers in the 9-13 mm range.

Maybe it was a she.  I didn't stop to ask! 

• Like 1

Our roof had a leak near the skylights, so we just covered it with plastic sheeting. Of course, we rent. Our neighbors covered theirs with a tarp. Housing is expensive!

No kidding. Especially when you have already paid 900$ to have your leak fixed, and it just keeps getting worse.  :glare:

Oh, and I think I've chosen Shadow Taupe for the new carpet that will be used in our ground level basement (off the garage, has one window), staircase, and family room.  It's really part of the gray family, but more of a taupe-gray than blue-gray or green-gray.  We are sprucing up to sell, so I am aiming for the gray because it is the most popular neutral right now.  I think stoney blue-grays seem to be the most popular right now, but our upholstery is "seagrass" (which is really a blend of browns).   I thought the blue-grays looked really....well, blue again the furniture.  Our house has the palest of butter yellow paint on the walls, with crisp white trim, so that's a factor too.  

What do y'all think?  Depending on the light, it can either be light gray or dark gray, sometimes with more of a taupe tone than other times.  If you were looking to buy our house, would you love it? Hate it?  Just be thankful it's new and doesn't smell of urine?

Looks good to me.  But, for me, the main consideration is to look like dirt.  Because it's gonna get covered with it.  Oh, and it should be hairy.  Very, very hairy. :glare:

So I may not be the one to ask.

• Like 5

If there is a leak after a roof repair, isn't it up to the roof repair people to fix it free of charge?

I did have a really nice guy (a friend of a contractor friend of ours) who looked at our roof, found a leak by our chimney, and put plastic up by the flashing free of charge.  That was about six years ago.  We haven't had any trouble since. 

• Like 3

Whew. I have successfully "spent" my $750. (Technically, I came in under budget. There's always a first time for everything, right?!)
I still need to get it approved and ordered, but I think I know what I'm getting. 

1 futon 
2 pub height tables (with stools) 
2 bungee chairs 
1 double saucer papasan chair

2 Stabili-T-stools

2 Butterfly chairs

That will give me 15 extra alternative seats, plus the 7 or so that I already have. So, I have at least 22 traditional chair alternatives for school. YAY! (Not to mention the pillow they like to sit on and the 3 nearly dead beanbags. RIP.) 

• Like 8

Hey Renai!

What is it with kids who need to sit under tables? I sometimes wonder if they feel more secure with the tops of their heads touching something.

I don't understand the sitting under tables, but I think it does have to do with security. I used to have some find the smallest little corners/cubbies and squeeze into them. They'd stay there all day, sometimes all week. If I wasn't aware of those sections, I'd probably have lost them.  It amazes me how they can contort their bodies.

• Like 4

If there is a leak after a roof repair, isn't it up to the roof repair people to fix it free of charge?

I wish. No, the roof folks "fixed" it when the roof was replaced a few years ago. And because it is a painfully slow leak (takes 45 minutes of heavy rain or spraying with the hose to start it) the leak didn't show up until the moisture finally seeped through. I have since had it "fixed" only to have it leak again (ruining my drywall repair) and the last guy swore he had fixed it. I did not believe him and left the ceiling open so that I could keep an eye on things. His last suggestion (to swath the entire chimney in flashing) met with my stubborn refusal to do anything so aesthetically horrid and probably ineffectual. So now we are on our own.

One of the hazards of living in a small town is that you are quite limited in who you can get to repair anything, and half of them are not going to show up. So I'm living with a hole in my ceiling and no end of the situation in sight for right now.

• Like 2

I wish. No, the roof folks "fixed" it when the roof was replaced a few years ago. And because it is a painfully slow leak (takes 45 minutes of heavy rain or spraying with the hose to start it) the leak didn't show up until the moisture finally seeped through. I have since had it "fixed" only to have it leak again (ruining my drywall repair) and the last guy swore he had fixed it. I did not believe him and left the ceiling open so that I could keep an eye on things. His last suggestion (to swath the entire chimney in flashing) met with my stubborn refusal to do anything so aesthetically horrid and probably ineffectual. So now we are on our own.

One of the hazards of living in a small town is that you are quite limited in who you can get to repair anything, and half of them are not going to show up. So I'm living with a hole in my ceiling and no end of the situation in sight for right now.

We also live in the land of never-ending-leak. Except ours spread. It was a mess that spans a few years. The owner of this place hired a guy to fix it, it rained the next week, and it leaked in all the same places again. Dh fixed it on Thanksgiving day. So far, so good. And dh got paid, too. 

• Like 5

Is it a brick chimney?  Does it need to be repointed?

• Like 1

I'm here. No leaky roofs. Wish we had some rain, though. It's been a dry February. Not good.

Boys are gone this evening. It's been a nice, quiet evening with the girls. We watched an American Girl movie with them. Those movies are cute but kind of hokey! "Oh Isabelle, we're going to have a great time at ballet camp in New York this summer." "Oh Jade, you're the best sister ever."

Now, I have to prepare for children's church tomorrow. I'd rather sit curled up in my chair vegging out.

• Like 3

:hurray:

Glad you are feeling better.

TYVM.

Buying a house is like having a paperwork enema. All this stuff is online. I want a chip in my body they can read with all the documents on it and just let me buy the dang house!!!!

I'm so glad I probably won't ever have to go through that again. Crazy things can happen. When we bought this house, we paid cash, which really cut down on paperwork. However, when it came time to sign the final papers, I had nothing to prove I was "Martha" instead of "Ellie" (thanks to my parents naming me Martha Ella and then calling me Ellie. ::rolls eyes::), so at the last minute, literally at the last minute. the sale almost didn't go through. I guess I should do something about that for future who-know-what circumstances...

• Like 8

I have to have my divorce stuff, which apparently was misplaced in the move! And I had tried to start a business but then pursued a gov. job instead (much better for this mortgage business) BUT! now I need an affidavit regarding the business! And the license! Which expired two years ago.

OMG, if we don't get this house because neither of us received the order of child support in the mail I will be devastated.

We won't have the cash to buy this house until... well, I mean until the mortgage is supposed to be paid off, LOL.

Housing is so expensive here. It really bothers me that everyone says, "Oh just move somewhere cheap." Um, okay, commute for two hours each way and live far from grandparents and facilities and just up and move your family for a cheap house? And then if we all do that, of course, it won't be cheap anymore! Because supply and demand. I don't want rent control or anything, just some kind of understanding from mortgage companies and the government that we are not horrible people for wanting to spend 25% of our income on housing rather than 10% on housing and 10% on transport and 10% on daycare which is what we'd be doing if we moved into the sticks to buy a cheaper house. There's no winning this game...

• Like 8