• Replies 216.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Slache

• Susan in TN

• Jean in Newcastle

• KrissiK

So I have horrible heel pain that I believe is plantar fasciitis, which I have had before and cured.  However, in spite of doing the old tried and true method of "ignore it and it will go away" treatment, it has gotten steadily worse until I can hardly walk on my left foot at times.  So I must wear my tennis shoes if my feet are on the floor, no exceptions.  I have worn them all day for two days and note a remarkable improvement.  I know if It stop, it will come right back.

:grouphug:

I had that, which you can imagine is a bad thing if you're a hula dancer. :blink:

Several years ago, I spent a boatload of money on special shoes that looked like Frankenstein boots except they had curved soles, so that I sort of rocked when I walked. U.G.L.Y. shoes. i wore them from the minute I woke up until I stepped into the shower at night. Even when I was sitting down (unless I was icing my feet.). At my hula class, I wore a light-weight Teva with an extra arch support. I also bought a pair of Fitflops and some Keens. I don't know how long I wore the Ugly Shoes--at least a month--but it really made all the difference in the world. I still buy good shoes (Natural Balance, and Merrells, and the FitFlops), but I can walk around the house barefooted, and hula the night away.

• Like 4

I had that, which you can imagine is a bad thing if you're a hula dancer. :blink:

Several years ago, I spent a boatload of money on special shoes that looked like Frankenstein boots except they had curved soles, so that I sort of rocked when I walked. U.G.L.Y. shoes. i wore them from the minute I woke up until I stepped into the shower at night. Even when I was sitting down (unless I was icing my feet.). At my hula class, I wore a light-weight Teva with an extra arch support. I also bought a pair of Fitflops and some Keens. I don't know how long I wore the Ugly Shoes--at least a month--but it really made all the difference in the world. I still buy good shoes (Natural Balance, and Merrells, and the FitFlops), but I can walk around the house barefooted, and hula the night away.

I saw those boots on Amazon!  They were for sleeping, though, to get a slight stretch on your achilles is what it looked like, but it's all connected down there so it probably helps the plantar fasciitis.  I hope to be rehabbed by the summer so I can not have to wear tennis shoes everywhere, but I will try to remember FitFlops.  It is in the very middle of my heel. 

• Like 1

When I was first finding out about my RA, it started in my feet.  At first I thought I had a broken toe.  Then I was told that I had plantar fasciitis.  When I developed pain in my hand, they decided that it wasn't plantar fasciitis after all  :lol: , and that it was Rheumatoid Arthritis.

I was told by one of my doctors to always wear shoes.  Sometimes if I walk across the living room to pick up a remote or something, one of the dc will yell at me if I don't put my shoes on first.   :huh:

All of my shoes are Crocs, so easy to put on, but still...

• Like 1

Hello, friends.

I slept alone in my bed - no dh (he was sick with a cough and slept in a recliner) and no gut-kneading cat. My guys won their third tournament game to put them in the championship game at 9 pm. For three years, they have been "almost rans", choking and losing games in tourneys. The championship game is against our arch rival, who has beaten us twice. They are also poor sportsmen and break the rules to get players who don't qualify on their teams, effectively stacking the deck. So we owe them a butt kicking, and I am hoping to deliver tonight. Dh is riding a high. I fear for what it will be like if we lose. :huh: He has gotten the team to agree to all go out to eat after the game at 10:30 pm. I'm just along for the ride, yo. Again, I hope we don't lose because no one wants to go out at 10:30 pm to celebrate a loss. :mellow:

Little dd played her game and was very aggressive in defense. I think she's been watching the boys. :lol:

I have been doing laundry, cooking, etc.

Our purple ribbon stickers came today to support the young lady with cancer so I will give a short speech tonight before the game and put them on our boys.

ETA: IT's a basketball booya(h)! GO FALCONS!!!

I am cheering them on as well.

Go, Falcons, Go!

I hope your heel heals soon.

For some reason, it is not allowing me to like your post.

• Like 2

When I was first finding out about my RA, it started in my feet.  At first I thought I had a broken toe.  Then I was told that I had plantar fasciitis.  When I developed pain in my hand, they decided that it wasn't plantar fasciitis after all  :lol: , and that it was Rheumatoid Arthritis.

I was told by one of my doctors to always wear shoes.  Sometimes if I walk across the living room to pick up a remote or something, one of the dc will yell at me if I don't put my shoes on first.   :huh:

All of my shoes are Crocs, so easy to put on, but still...

Now I'm afraid I have RA.  I have a lot of secret health fears. :leaving:

Crocs don't seem supportive enough, but they would be a lot easier than tennis shoes to slip on.  When I wore some hard-soled, thin-soled flats to run around town in on Thursday, it put me bad off.  No more of those shoes.  I do really well with some old Nikes I've had for many years.  They have a heel on them.

• Like 1

Now I'm afraid I have RA.  I have a lot of secret health fears. :leaving:

Crocs don't seem supportive enough, but they would be a lot easier than tennis shoes to slip on.  When I wore some hard-soled, thin-soled flats to run around town in on Thursday, it put me bad off.  No more of those shoes.  I do really well with some old Nikes I've had for many years.  They have a heel on them.

Doubtful that you have RA if you've overcome plantar fasciitis once already.  My different diagnoses actually happened rather fast, in less than a month.

Edited by Junie
  • Like 1

Go Falcons Go!!!!!

I wear tennis shoes every.single.day.  Because I'm just that cool.  If I don't have tennis shoes on, my brain doesn't work correctly and I am worthless.  I have even started sometimes wearing them to church depending on how well I can make it work with the clothes I pick out.  I hate driving in other shoes and church is 30-40 min. away.  Driving is one of the reasons I wear them so much in public.  I vote for comfort and practicality.  Hope your feet are better soon! 

#fashionista  :lol:

• Like 4

Go Falcons Go!!!!!

I wear tennis shoes every.single.day.  Because I'm just that cool.  If I don't have tennis shoes on, my brain doesn't work correctly and I am worthless.  I have even started sometimes wearing them to church depending on how well I can make it work with the clothes I pick out.  I hate driving in other shoes and church is 30-40 min. away.  Driving is one of the reasons I wear them so much in public.  I vote for comfort and practicality.  Hope your feet are better soon! 

#fashionista  :lol:

Now I know what's wrong with me.   :lol:  I never wear tennis shoes.  In fact, since dd13 took my last pair, I don't even own any.

• Like 1

I'm home after a very long day. Had quite a bit going on at work, then off to the big library, then home, then to the store, then out to get food, then home...

I think I've got a dog nearing the last phase of his life. He's over fifteen, and he's had an awesome life (taken in as a frighten, abandoned adult dog--I couldn't get him to come to me for days and he was terrified of DH for months until he decided DH was also an okay human). He's still feeling great (doesn't have a clue he's sick yet) but his lymph nodes have almost doubled in size in the last month. Time for a CBC and an aspirate. Cancer can go bite it is all I've got to say.

• Like 2

I wear my New Balance shoes every day.  But not in the house.  We are an Asian family.  We take our shoes off.  I do have some specially comfortable nice shoes that I can stand for a couple of hours on Sunday mornings.  I have Crocs too but I can only stand to wear them for very short time periods.  My feet need nothing on them or else very good support. 

I saw those boots on Amazon!  They were for sleeping, though, to get a slight stretch on your achilles is what it looked like, but it's all connected down there so it probably helps the plantar fasciitis.  I hope to be rehabbed by the summer so I can not have to wear tennis shoes everywhere, but I will try to remember FitFlops.  It is in the very middle of my heel. 

Different shoes. :-) Mine are sandals; when you walk, your weight is on your arches instead of on the bottoms of your feet.

• Like 1

I wear my New Balance shoes every day.  But not in the house.  We are an Asian family.  We take our shoes off.  I do have some specially comfortable nice shoes that I can stand for a couple of hours on Sunday mornings.  I have Crocs too but I can only stand to wear them for very short time periods.  My feet need nothing on them or else very good support. 

We are a no shoes in the house family too---but I have house shoes. Do you have house shoes, Jean?

I'm home after a very long day. Had quite a bit going on at work, then off to the big library, then home, then to the store, then out to get food, then home...

I think I've got a dog nearing the last phase of his life. He's over fifteen, and he's had an awesome life (taken in as a frighten, abandoned adult dog--I couldn't get him to come to me for days and he was terrified of DH for months until he decided DH was also an okay human). He's still feeling great (doesn't have a clue he's sick yet) but his lymph nodes have almost doubled in size in the last month. Time for a CBC and an aspirate. Cancer can go bite it is all I've got to say.

:grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug:

• Like 3

• Like 1

Ok, so more about my hand and arm. Sometimes it is both hands, but this time it is just my right. I wake up in the morning with my hand and fingers swollen. The last two fingers (ring and pinky) are numbish and achy. It seems to get a little better during the day. Yesterday when I was pouring milk from a gallon jug about halfway full, the pain went up to my elbow on the underside of my arm. I feel like I am losing strength in my hand and arm. It feels very weak at times, especially of the morning. In just typing this my thumb is numb. It is the worst at night. The numb tingly feeling turns into pain, severe pain going all the way to my elbow. The only way to relieve it is to let my right arm hang off the bed. I can't sleep on my right side because it immediately starts hurting. So any ideas? I know we have been through this before. Somewhere about 500 pages ago. As soon as I get lazy again, and don't do much, it will improve some. It never completely goes away, but it is bearable when I just do regular stuff.

• Like 2

Ok, so more about my hand and arm. Sometimes it is both hands, but this time it is just my right. I wake up in the morning with my hand and fingers swollen. The last two fingers (ring and pinky) are numbish and achy. It seems to get a little better during the day. Yesterday when I was pouring milk from a gallon jug about halfway full, the pain went up to my elbow on the underside of my arm. I feel like I am losing strength in my hand and arm. It feels very weak at times, especially of the morning. In just typing this my thumb is numb. It is the worst at night. The numb tingly feeling turns into pain, severe pain going all the way to my elbow. The only way to relieve it is to let my right arm hang off the bed. I can't sleep on my right side because it immediately starts hurting. So any ideas? I know we have been through this before. Somewhere about 500 pages ago. As soon as I get lazy again, and don't do much, it will improve some. It never completely goes away, but it is bearable when I just do regular stuff.

Your ring and pinky fingers are tied to your ulnar nerve.    You sound like you have some carpal tunnel going on. Rest, ice, ibuprofen, a ton of tumeric and you might consider a brace.

• Like 3

:grouphug: What's his name?

• Like 1

Turmeric is sold in capsules.  It works best if it has black pepper (peperine) as well, as the curcumin inside of tumeric is not very bioavailable.  There is a wide range of discussion in the medical world about what constitutes a therapeutic dose of tumeric.  The western world has been slow to adopt the herb; it has much wider use in the east.  In the east they tend to always pair tumeric with other herbs--and you can find some of these blends at the health food store.  I'd probably add ginger to the black pepper if I could find it in a blend here, but I haven't switched yet because it's so easy just to pick up this stuff at costco.

I currently buy my capsules at Costco. You can also buy them here: http://www.puritan.com/youtheory-brand-0754/ppturmeric120tab-025543?scid=3763&cmp=gpl-_-025543&CAWELAID=520010730000015673&CAWELAID=520010730000015673

I take 6 a day.  They brought my inflammation labs (c-rp and sed rate) from 5x outside of normal to normal in about two months.  My carpal tunnel issues also went away when I did these + my stretches.

My rheumatologist agrees that I am at a therapeutic dose with the six capsules--the three recommended on the side of the container is not enough. The nurse practitioner in the same office is aghast that I take so much, but I suspect she is not as well read.

• Like 4

Good foggy Sunday Morning, ITT!

Tex, sorry about the loss. Bad ref calls. Booo!

Dawn, don't drive on treacherous roads.

Jean, hooray for steps!

Critter, sorry about your dog. ((Hugs)). We have an elderly cat (14 years old), and though she is in good health, I'm wondering how long she'll last.

Dawn, you can get tumeric in capsules. We take it.

And Good morning, Lynn!

And good morning to you, too Ikslo!

Have a good Sunday, all!

Edited by KrissiK
  • Like 9

Good morning. 
We've been off to a fun start this morning. 

Hey Mom! I got my Bubble Guppies bubbles.

How did you get those?! 

Oh, I'm just a bery dood climber. I stand on my tippy toes and REEEEEEEACHED to da top a da bookshelf. Den used my fingers and got it. I am a bery, bery dood climber.

Good heavens - this bookshelf is not attached to the wall, it has tons of books and junk on it, and stuff on the very top. 
This child has no fear with heights and she terrifies me! 
smiley-scared001.gif

ETA: It's a scared because my child is fearless BOOYA!

Edited by Southern Ivy
  • Like 7

Your ring and pinky fingers are tied to your ulnar nerve.    You sound like you have some carpal tunnel going on. Rest, ice, ibuprofen, a ton of tumeric and you might consider a brace.

Yep. It sounds just like my carpal tunnel. Mine has gone up to the shoulder, and is painful. Writing for long periods of time will do me in (and I like paper and pen!). I had to get special accommodations for a teaching test to allow me to use the computer to type essay responses instead of writing them down.

Anyway, what Prairie said, although I hadn't heard about the turmeric. I'll have to look into that.

• Like 3

Good morning. 

We've been off to a fun start this morning. 

Hey Mom! I got my Bubble Guppies bubbles.

How did you get those?! 

Oh, I'm just a bery dood climber. I stand on my tippy toes and REEEEEEEACHED to da top a da bookshelf. Den used my fingers and got it. I am a bery, bery dood climber.

Good heavens - this bookshelf is not attached to the wall, it has tons of books and junk on it, and stuff on the very top. 

This child has no fear with heights and she terrifies me! 

smiley-scared001.gif

Sounds like my Gymnast, which is why I put her in gymnastics. :D

• Like 4