• Replies 216.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Slache

• Susan in TN

• Jean in Newcastle

• KrissiK

We have not yet decided what next year will look like here.  And I have been MIA as homeschool education facilitator since the dog has been ill.  Luckily, we are at a bit of a lull and DD is aN extremely good kid.

#theparentfailureisreal

ETA:  GEEZ.  O.  PETE.  I.  AM. BRAIN.  DEAD.  TODAY.

Edited by JoJosMom
  • Like 4

Yeah. He wants to be at their beck and call, take time off work and be gone on weekends. This thing in Salem would mean leaving before the kids get up and getting back after they go to bed. He needs to be home more.

I'm sorry that you're frustrated, Slash.  Little kids are exhausting and when your expected break doesn't come, it can be REALLY frustrating.  :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug:

(Don't you wish you lived closer to Pseudo-Granny for some free babysitting? )

• Like 8

If I had to do it over again, which I do next year, I will do another biology.  I have no idea what other one.  It's hard to explain exactly why.  It just didn't seem to teach all I wanted it to teach.  Plus, dd, who is the one who will be taking it, asked for anything other than Apologia.  (She did not like their courses for younger kids.)

I'm still ketching up, but wanted to comment on this.  Of course, it is totally fine to do something besides Apologia for high school.  But, I just wanted to comment for anyone who only has experience with the younger series, please do not judge the Wile books on the Fulbright books.  We were only successful with one Fulbright book, but my current 7th grader LOVES Apologia General (Wile), my current 14yo is doing fine with Apologia Physical.  My oldest completed Apologia Biology year before last in our homeschool group.  I was not involved enough to really answer questions about the Biology or to defend it whether it's sufficient or not. 

• Like 3

We just finished watching the Republican Debate.  I am surprised that my oldest two dc are so interested in this.  With as many debates as we have watched so far, I feel like I should put together a 1/2 credit Political Science credit for them.

Let me know how you do this. Dd16 has been all over the debates and political scene in general. I haven't even seen the debates yet and she has. She still has the Democratic debates to watch though.

• Like 2

We just finished watching the Republican Debate.  I am surprised that my oldest two dc are so interested in this.  With as many debates as we have watched so far, I feel like I should put together a 1/2 credit Political Science credit for them.

How was it?  We had to record it, because we went out to dinner with Nana tonight.  Much like your DC, my DD is following the campaign fairly closely.  She wants to be ready for when she votes- in 5 years. :huh:

• Like 1

Let me know how you do this. Dd16 has been all over the debates and political scene in general. I haven't even seen the debates yet and she has. She still has the Democratic debates to watch though.

I think that the Democratic ones are a bit more educational, TBH.  They are more formal and structured-less of a free-for-all.   (And I say this as a VERY conservative voter.)

Well, none of them do more than scratch the surface of the issues.  They all basically confine themselves to making very general statements with which most people will agree. (And NO one wants to talk about the debt) But the Republican debates get so nasty that we find it to be very off-putting and difficult to watch.  Could just be a personal thing with us, though.

• Like 2

I just decided to do this a few minutes ago, so it may take me a little bit of time.  Hopefully I can get the framework in place in the next week or so.  I'll let you know what I come up with.

How was it?  We had to record it, because we went out to dinner with Nana tonight.  Much like your DC, my DD is following the campaign fairly closely.  She wants to be ready for when she votes- in 5 years. :huh:

Truthfully, I would have rather gone to dinner with Nana.  :)  I was a journalism minor in college, so I'm a little bit interested in politics.  However, I personally am getting a bit tired of hearing the same talking points again and again.  I'm not sure what has gotten my kids so interested.  They know that I'm undecided, so they are interested in watching me form my opinion.  And dh and I agree on party affiliation and on most of the debate topics, but there are a few things that we have differing views about.  The dc enjoy watching us discuss these things.

• Like 3

I am finally DONE. I have been for about an hour.

Our internet is acting weird. It goes in and out, and it is really slow.

I done a lot of decluttering. I have 5 black bags and several boxes to donate. I will be glad to get it out of the house.

I vomited again. I hadn't ate all day because I didn't have an appetite, and I was afraid of being sick again. So strange. I think it is because of worrying and stuff.

So I'm going to go to bed. I hope and pray I can sleep, and I hope everyone else does as well. Sweet dreams.:)

• Like 6

I am finally DONE. I have been for about an hour.

Our internet is acting weird. It goes in and out, and it is really slow.

I done a lot of decluttering. I have 5 black bags and several boxes to donate. I will be glad to get it out of the house.

I vomited again. I hadn't ate all day because I didn't have an appetite, and I was afraid of being sick again. So strange. I think it is because of worrying and stuff.

So I'm going to go to bed. I hope and pray I can sleep, and I hope everyone else does as well. Sweet dreams. :)

:grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug:

I hope that you're feeling better soon!

• Like 1

I'm still ketching up, but wanted to comment on this.  Of course, it is totally fine to do something besides Apologia for high school.  But, I just wanted to comment for anyone who only has experience with the younger series, please do not judge the Wile books on the Fulbright books.  We were only successful with one Fulbright book, but my current 7th grader LOVES Apologia General (Wile), my current 14yo is doing fine with Apologia Physical.  My oldest completed Apologia Biology year before last in our homeschool group.  I was not involved enough to really answer questions about the Biology or to defend it whether it's sufficient or not. 

I have the Apologia High school Biology book.  Ds used it for his biology. 

My friend was here from Wednesday night until this morning around 11:30. :-) She and I went to Wimberly (I waved at Jann, who didn't see it because I don't know *exactly* where she lives and she didn't see me), and Friday I was busy with church and hula, and then we went out to dinner (Mr. Ellie is good buds with Mr. Friend). I had a meeting this morning, too, but when I came home, and the friends left, I just schlepped around the house until it was dinner time--pretty sure I napped somewhere in there--and then we went out to dinner, and then we came home and I put on my jammies and we watched the last episode of season 2 of Downton Abby. and now I'm here.

That is all. :hat:

• Like 6

So, we were all sitting around watching tv and chatting, while dd16 did all her chatting on the exercise bike. She ended having done 12 miles. Feeling shamed (although I did do yoga at 4am this morning), I got on the bike. Dd16 suggested I place the laptop on the bars, so I did, with headphones and Netflix playing since dh was watching soccer. An hour later, I got 6 miles done. Not too bad. 

We've been watching Cupcake Wars. It's going on midnight. It's time for bed.

• Like 6

Good morning! No debates here. Went to DS's school's Auction Fundraiser last night. And I volunteered to clean up because I'd get double volunteer hours for cleaning up (you get a reduced tuition for a certain # of volunteer hours at school functions). Never again! It was long and I hate auctions. Well, some are interesting, but this one was boring. There is definitely a learning curve when putting your child at a private school. Especially in 7th grade when they expect that you should know how everything works. Thank goodness for the school secretary who likes me and explains everything to me.

Edited by KrissiK
  • Like 6

Good Morning! I slept about 7 hours altogether. Thank goodness.

Dh told me this morning to not "act stressed" because 3 of his sisters has been asking how I was doing. I haven't spoken to any of them for a month or so. I started crying when he said that. Now I feel even more pressure.

Prayers appreciated. :grouphug:

• Like 5

Dh told me this morning to not "act stressed" because 3 of his sisters has been asking how I was doing. I haven't spoken to any of them for a month or so. I started crying when he said that. Now I feel even more pressure.

:grouphug: Dawn :grouphug:

• Like 2

:grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: , Dawn.  The prayers have been ongoing.

Have you explained to DH about Elephant Ninjas with Duct Tape?

• Like 6

:grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: , Dawn.  The prayers have been ongoing.

Have you explained to DH about Elephant Ninjas with Duct Tape?

It sounds like Dh needs some elephant ninjas with duct tape, Dawn.  Many hugs to you today!

Look!  We have the ITT Mind Meld going on again this morning! :laugh:

• Like 9

Dawn, I think it's time for you to come to Oregon for a month. No housework or school, just come play with me. We'll go shopping and make a few cakes.

Have I *cough, cough, cough* mentioned how sick I am, too?  Or would you need nursing assistance, in which case I am very healthy?  please.gif

• Like 6

A late good morning!  I slept in and then lounged and read for awhile.  I am dressed now, just shy of noon, and about to make a to-do list. 

Dawn - hugs and prayers.  Can't wait to hear back from you later. 

Happy Sunday everyone! 

Ummm.... I think there's a football game on later?  (I really don't get why it's on a Sunday evening.  I would think earlier in the day or moved to a Saturday would really encourage more partying and attention.  Who wants to party on Sunday night?  That's no fun, and not really possible for a sizable number of people, right?)

• Like 5

Dawn, I say you act how you feel because that is real, and if folks wonder why you are stressed out and worry, they can come clean your house and cook dinner.  BOOM!

Funny story of the day:  This morning at church, I saw a guy who looks just like my cousin Russell (who also goes to our church) and told dh, who stood next to him staring at him hoping he would notice and then hit him on the arm when he didn't.  It was not cousin Russell. :lol: So the dude says, "Hi, I'm Billy" and shakes dh's hand.  Then dh said, "My wife thought you were her cousin." and ran off.  Then I told him he had a doppelganger, while the dude stared at me.  I don't think he knew what the word meant.  So now Billy is probably looking for another church where the crazy people don't assault you, call you the wrong name, and then use fancy words to confuse you. :leaving:

• Like 10