• Replies 216.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Slache

• Susan in TN

• Jean in Newcastle

• KrissiK

Oy, I first read this as "I fear barFLIES in your near future." And they are so young...

A Booya Tooya!

This booyah is dedicated to babes with sick tummies and all the dedicated ITTers who have managed to get caught up on today's mega postings.

And our various holiday songs...

Deck the halls with booya, hooyah!

Falalalala!

This the season to be Booyah!

Falalalala! All alfalfa!

Fah lah lah lah Booyah!

"Booyah bells, Booyah bells,

Booyah all the way!

Oh what fun it is to Booyah

in a one horse open Booo-yah!"

Booya Bells! Booya Bells!

Booya all the way!

Oh, what fun it is to Booya

On a night just like today!

Booyah bells, Booyah bells,

Booyah all the way!

Oh what fun it is to Booyah,

or booya Slashe's way!

Booya bells, booya bells,

Ringing in my head.

Oh, what fun it is

To write

A silly song like this!

Booya bells!

Booya bells!

Ringing in my head!

I really need to get to editing

Because if I get fired I'll be dead!

Likety bells

likety bells

likety all the way!!!!

• Like 3

I would want lots of opportunity to both hear and speak Spanish.  Reading and writing can be studied as homework quite easily without anyone else around if need be (though the student does need to see and hear words together, too, to make the right connections between spoken and written), but learning to hear and speak it in return requires live practice (not just repeating back what recordings say).  Students need to learn how to understand the words in regular use, spoken by a variety of people, often not using the perfect grammar and diction of the materials studied.  No matter how the class is organized, it won't teach the students much if they can't practice hearing and speaking in actual conversation and dialog.

I really got into a show called El Internado de la Laguna Negra (if I haven't forgotten something in the name), basically the Black Lagoon Boarding School.  It's a show out of Spain that I came across on Netflix.  They had English subtitles so I could really enjoy the story, but hearing the Spanish (Castilian, I think) spoken over and over was starting to give me a clue -- I thought I was actually starting to pick up some of the phrasing near the end.  Ordinarily I would have trouble picking individual words apart because I was unused to the syllabication, but I was starting to get the hang of it despite their rapid speech.  Watching shows like this can really help someone who is struggling with the hearing part get in more practice.  I personally think we can't learn to effectively speak a language without learning how to hear the language, and the hearing at times has to be a little ahead of the speaking.

This is a lot how I run my conversation class, but it's topical. Each week, I've posted different videos (according to topic) from basic vocabulary to more advanced listening with and without subtitles, and maybe some grammar points. I expect them to watch before class, but many don't. The class is for listening and speaking practice. I have so many that have not ever taken a class, or are currently in their first class, that few speak up though. I start out with me talking about the topic in Spanish. I've learned to speak slower... Then I turn the floor over to them. They'll usually ask questions first in chat (which really clues me in on who watched videos and who didn't) for some vocabulary or "how do you say" stuff, then begin talking more to one another in Spanish. Lately, I've just been listening and correcting vocabulary or grammar, writing on the whiteboard different points. I'll also ask different questions if the conversation stalls, and give a short spiel as an example answer. This is a free online class I do, so I would expect that someone would expect more if they're paying.

I learned Spanish in college watching Destinos one year. The next year, I met dh and didn't understand him (much). I watched this novela with him every day, and I picked up a lot within context. Since he couldn't translate to English, he had to give me the kindergarten level word for the adult-level word I didn't understand. It was the best way to learn for me. I don't know how others learn, but I want a level of immersion in my classes, because I imagine that is what many homeschoolers are missing in language studies at home.

So, the teacher of my current hula class has asked me to take it. That would be two classes: a beginner class and a more experienced class. It would begin in January.

She hasn't told the other dancers yet, but they know that she has felt really stretched.

:blink:

• Like 10

Those are fighting words where I live, too.  Cuando sus vecinos con pistolas dicen son luminarias, son luminarias.  Si es una gringa estupida como yo...puedo decir luminaries.

Por eso la gente en Nuevo Mexico no les gusta la gente de Texas. Y no eres estupida. No mas, recuerdas que cuando vienes a visitarme, dice farolitos.

Creo que entiendo, mas o menos.  (I don't think that phrase is exactly right, but Renai promised she wouldn't laugh at me... My reading comprehension is much better than my speaking/listening ability.)

So, I'm considering teaching a (or more) Spanish course(s) from home next year. I don't know how to teach Spanish to those that don't know it. The closest I've come is this year doing a conversation course with mostly high school students, in which I'm mostly facilitating. I don't know anything about learn-Spanish curriculum or how to teach grammar. My current class we are learning the grammar and vocabulary through the various topics they have chosen. Basically, I know how to teach Spanish to Spanish speakers (prek through adult) because that's what Ive done the past few years.

So why even consider it? I'm thinking a literature-based class, and learning through books. Of course, that would be a higher-level course. Or, even a CLEP-prep course, as I may be doing that with dd16 this upcoming semester. I can also do a conversation class to run alongside the class(es) I do. 

The company says they are looking for Spanish teachers for all ages though, so I'm not sure how that idea would work. I can do lower-level stuff too, but nothing grammar-based. I just don't know it that well. I'd have to study. Who has time for that???

If ya'll could choose a live online Spanish class, what would you want to see in it? There are a lot of grammar-based options out there, so perhaps something different is needed. If you'd like grammar however, say so as well.

I'm teaching Spanish 1 to ds15 and dd13.  I recently took the practice CLEP test and earned a high enough score to pass 4 semesters of Spanish at our local cc.  (I was surprised that I remembered that much from high school.)

• Like 3

Oy, I first read this as "I fear barFLIES in your near future." And they are so young...

A Booya Tooya!

This booyah is dedicated to babes with sick tummies and all the dedicated ITTers who have managed to get caught up on today's mega postings.

And our various holiday songs...

Deck the halls with booya, hooyah!

Falalalala!

This the season to be Booyah!

Falalalala! All alfalfa!

Fah lah lah lah Booyah!

"Booyah bells, Booyah bells,

Booyah all the way!

Oh what fun it is to Booyah

in a one horse open Booo-yah!"

Booya Bells! Booya Bells!

Booya all the way!

Oh, what fun it is to Booya

On a night just like today!

Booyah bells, Booyah bells,

Booyah all the way!

Oh what fun it is to Booyah,

or booya Slashe's way!

Booya bells, booya bells,

Ringing in my head.

Oh, what fun it is

To write

A silly song like this!

Booya bells!

Booya bells!

Ringing in my head!

I really need to get to editing

Because if I get fired I'll be dead!

WOW.  Now THAT'S a Booya!!  Good job, Susan!

• Like 5

And now, for your enjoyment, a poem by me. I call it... "Knitting by the Fire"

I'm sitting... and knitting

Knitting by the fire.

I'm knitting.... a scarf

Knitting by the fire.

The cat.... is watching

Knitting by the fire.

I'm knitting.... And pearling

Knitting by the fire.

• Like 12

I've seen several. I've been diagnosed with over 10 different things, most of which I don't have any symptoms for. The closest match was autism, but while the symptoms matched the explanation was wrong. Once a doctor started explaining how autism worked I knew it wasn't right. I've been diagnosed with schizophrenia and borderline personality disorder despite the fact that my only symptoms are an inability to hear or see properly.

Eta: And I'm very awkward.

Dr. Quack diagnosed you.

Remember?  So now you know.  

• Like 2

Knitting by the fire.

I'm knitting.... a scarf

Knitting by the fire.

The cat.... is watching

Knitting by the fire.

Knitting by the fire.

Could be better with

I'm eating...eating chocolate

Knitting by the fire.

(You're welcome.)

• Like 4

I would love all of your vet med stuff.  I already have a stapler and a staple remover, and I can't wait for someone to slice themselves really good so I can use it. :hurray:

What a great psychologist!  Your mom....well, nothing positive to say there.

Worst.story.ever.  She sucks.

They would, but I don't want their hands on her, nor do I want to have to pay for it.  They are expensive, however, everything is done out front (except bathing) so you can see what is being done to the dogs.  I think that is a good deal.  One of the bball parents runs a dog grooming shop so I could probably have her help me, but I'm lazy and that lady is a non stop talker so I cannot abide by it. :lol:

Kroger has a store brand organic pn butter that is no stir. That's what we eat.  For cookies, I buy cheap stuff, though.  Life's too short to spend it stirring pn butter.

I love Lost!

I used to groom the maltese myself.  I got some decent clippers on amazon.com.  I would sometimes groom new Humane Society dogs.  I did okay-ish.  They looked better when I was done.   :)

I'm cheap, too.  

Wow.

I didn't read an ounce of this, Tex (sorry bout that.... but I have 500 plus notifications to sift through).

But that is the longest multi-quote I've seen in a while.  Bravo on reducing your digital post footprint!  

• Like 2

We watched the debate tonight as a family. And we identified fallacies and question dodging. And discussed important issues of the day. And laughed at Jeb Bush.

BAM! Educational post, in before the end of the day!

Night, night! :seeya:

Political post! Political post! :willy_nilly:

Reported.

• Like 5

Done.  

Phew. 

I was busy enjoying an IRL girl's nite out.  And braving Victoria's Secret for the first time in 5 children (stocking stuffers for dh, and comfy full coverage old lady undies for me.  A win-win  :lol: )

Tex told me the internet broke while I was gone, but apparently that didn't stop the ITT.  I salute you.    :patriot:

And now I am up way too late again.   :seeya:

PS - Hush, you naysayers and funky-font-haters.  I puffy-heart 100EZ.    :leaving: 

• Like 8

My stepdaughter is not a big eater these days. Especially she doesn't eat the big hearty meals her dad or I prepare on weekends. But she ate 90% of the Russian tea cakes I made (I made three batches). VICTORY!!!!

We will make more this Friday, LOL.

• Like 9

I have never had Russian Tea Cakes. I'll be right over... :auto:

You'll be over for nothing. There is literally one left and it's only Tuesday and I made them Sunday!!! We have four kids together. Well let them eat and enjoy themselves.

They are like Mexican wedding cakes I have heard. I'm not sure if the recipe is exactly the same. It was the only recipe that I could make for Russians that they found even remotely impressive. I was pretty young back then.

Oh, but nobody in Russia or the USSR has heard of these. So either it's a 100+ year old White Russian recipe, or the name is totally made up. But they liked them.

Basically sugar-butter-walnut balls. Melts in your mouth but slightly crunchy due to added flour and crushed walnuts.

• Like 2

Cup of tea, munchies, in the wee hours of the morning. Because insomnia. Because Hashimoto's.

That is all.

Oh, also, feet/ankles swollen for almost two weeks for no apparent reason whatsoever.

That is all.

Posting on ITT in the wee hours of the morning.  Because insomnia.  Because RA.

That is all.

:D

• Like 2

Cup of tea, munchies, in the wee hours of the morning. Because insomnia. Because Hashimoto's.

That is all.

Oh, also, feet/ankles swollen for almost two weeks for no apparent reason whatsoever.

That is all.

Ohhh Hashimoto's. I have sub-clinical hyperthyroidism. They tell me I'm perfect, so I guess I just have to wait to get what my skinny aunt and grandmother got. Ugh. I'm sorry about that.

I'm here because finishing reports because the server didn't work all day. :P

• Like 1

Ohhh Hashimoto's. I have sub-clinical hyperthyroidism. They tell me I'm perfect, so I guess I just have to wait to get what my skinny aunt and grandmother got. Ugh. I'm sorry about that.

I'm here because finishing reports because the server didn't work all day. :p

Well, of course you're perfect. Because ITT. :hat:

WTH is "sub-clinical hyperthyroidism"?

I'm having a case of the "don't wannas."  I may have to start school back up between Christmas and New Year's just to get my own rear end back in gear. 

This has been me since August. lol 

I have the most difficult class I've ever had and I just "don't wanna". I'm ready for June. I was ready for June in September.  

• Like 3

It has been almost an hour since anyone posted. People are not taking this thread seriously. :hat:

Sorry, Ellie.  I was setting up a painting project for the littlest 4.  They are painting Christmas ornaments for the family.  I don't let them paint often, so they are really looking forward to this!!

Now I will be hiding out near the ITT, because I don't want to know what is going on downstairs.

• Like 4

This is a lot how I run my conversation class, but it's topical. Each week, I've posted different videos (according to topic) from basic vocabulary to more advanced listening with and without subtitles, and maybe some grammar points. I expect them to watch before class, but many don't. The class is for listening and speaking practice. I have so many that have not ever taken a class, or are currently in their first class, that few speak up though. I start out with me talking about the topic in Spanish. I've learned to speak slower... Then I turn the floor over to them. They'll usually ask questions first in chat (which really clues me in on who watched videos and who didn't) for some vocabulary or "how do you say" stuff, then begin talking more to one another in Spanish. Lately, I've just been listening and correcting vocabulary or grammar, writing on the whiteboard different points. I'll also ask different questions if the conversation stalls, and give a short spiel as an example answer. This is a free online class I do, so I would expect that someone would expect more if they're paying.

I learned Spanish in college watching Destinos one year. The next year, I met dh and didn't understand him (much). I watched this novela with him every day, and I picked up a lot within context. Since he couldn't translate to English, he had to give me the kindergarten level word for the adult-level word I didn't understand. It was the best way to learn for me. I don't know how others learn, but I want a level of immersion in my classes, because I imagine that is what many homeschoolers are missing in language studies at home.

You are right, many homeschoolers do miss the immersion.  So do many brick & mortar school kids.  Many of the classes in schools, especially grades earlier than high school, teach Spanish or another foreign language one period a week.  My kids went through years of this (grade school Spanish), and while they know the words for certain nouns, colors, and verbs they can't formulate any sentences on their own.  They can often figure out what a sentence given in Spanish means if it's written down or someone speaks it slower than usual talking speed, but they can't compose the proper grammar to write or speak without faltering.  (They do enjoy correcting my pronunciation of the words they know, though!)

High school language classes do go far past this, but by that age many of the kids have missed their brain-development window in which learning languages comes easily.  I think this is why some kids who reach high school with a poor education in their own native language continue to struggle more than expected when they do get into a class that will teach them what they are missing, so think how hard it can be to learn a different language altogether.  They are at an age where they still need lots of hand-holding while they learn new and strange (to them) stuff, but they also wish to be more independent and don't want to have to rely on authority (some to the point they resist just to assert themselves).  Teens often need more than a requirement for certain types of credit or grades to get them to apply themselves in a language class -- they need an interest, a personal reason for actually trying to learn the subject.

If you can manage it getting a student who is personable yet better versed in the language could help get the other teens going.  Basically this student would be a plant, a secret employee working the class.  They can say they are there to gain more practice, which the other students should buy readily, but they can step forward -- in the role of fellow student -- and start discussions when the other students are hesitating.  They can be the chum the others feel they can ask when they don't want to ask the teacher.

By the way, this also works with adults.  Sometimes we just need someone not in authority to give us a boost and get us started.  The teacher has authority, and we adults, just like teens, can be a bit self-conscious about displaying our perceived inadequacies.  

• Like 5

Oh, and thanks for the Destinos reference!  I'll go look that up.  I, at least, would like to learn a bit of Spanish so I can communicate better with people here who don't speak English well.  I've already picked up Getting Started With Spanish, with plans to resume work on that by myself over winter break.

This is the class I do on VHG. You can't actually see the topics, etc., unless you login, but it's free. http://www.virtualhomeschoolgroup.org/course/index.php?categoryid=10

Argh!  (Like!)  Let me know if you start one up for adults, please!  I don't want to intimidate teens by horning in on theirs, and I'm likely not studying at anywhere near their pace, anyway.

So, the teacher of my current hula class has asked me to take it. That would be two classes: a beginner class and a more experienced class. It would begin in January.

She hasn't told the other dancers yet, but they know that she has felt really stretched.

:blink:

Her Majesty Frau Dockor Professor!   :hurray:  :hurray:  :hurray:

Too bad we can't study hula online, too!  

Hmm, care to start something?  (hint hint)

ETA:  Lookit there!  A booyah!

Booyah hula

Booyah hula

Aloha booyah

Aloha booyah....

Edited by AMJ
  • Like 7

Knitting by the fire.

I'm knitting.... a scarf

Knitting by the fire.

The cat.... is watching

Knitting by the fire.

Knitting by the fire.

Likety likety!  I can almost hear a tune to this, too!