• Replies 216.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Slache

• Susan in TN

• Jean in Newcastle

• KrissiK

Finished Christmas Event #1 and have lived to tell about it. Christmas Event #2 is next Saturday.

I don't know what happened to winter in Central Texas. Have had to turn on the AC. :blink:

I think about y'all all the time, even though I don't post. Which doesn't count, but still... :hat:

• Like 8

Finished Christmas Event #1 and have lived to tell about it. Christmas Event #2 is next Saturday.

I don't know what happened to winter in Central Texas. Have had to turn on the AC. :blink:

I think about y'all all the time, even though I don't post. Which doesn't count, but still... :hat:

It counts.

(I tried to like, but I'm outta likes.  Darn it.)

I've missed you, Your Majesty!

• Like 4

I just can't. can't. can't. can't. :ack2:

My daughter isn't even in formal schooling yet and I'm already planning how to outsource. Even the thought of owl pellets is enough to turn my stomach.

I really admire everyone who can and does do this.

DH blanched at the sight of the pictures when he got home. Wimps, the both of you!

• Like 5

I'm honestly not sure I've had a margarita in more than 15 years. I'm not sure what it is with this pregnancy and wanting all the alcohol I had in my childhood.

Have you considered salt? You might be low in salt and/or iodine, or limes. I'd make yourself a virgin margarita with salt. Potassium, magnesium, calcium.

• Like 1

I watched "Mary Poppins" tonight.  Bert says "Bob's your uncle"!  I wanted to shout when I heard it but no one in my family would have known what i was getting all excited about. 

Awwww, man, I saw the penguins singing.  Someone else was controlling the remote.  We didn't stay on that channel.  Do you remember what scene?  I would have shouted with you! 

• Like 4

It does count or I would have been kicked off the thread by now:-)

• Like 2

And a Good Sunday Morning to everyone! I'm looking at a gorgeous sunrise out the window and only slightly sad I'm not seeing it while running.

No sunrise here. It has been dark and dreary for days. And no snow. But it has been a bit balmy, which is something. I really hope we get snow for Christmas. It just isn't the same without it. And when you live in the frozen north, the beautiful white, sparkly coating at Christmastime is recompense for months of dark, windy, frozenness.

Getting ready to take the kids to bible study. I will go to adult bible study and then they have to acolyte at church. So I have to go today. I didn't want to because I am very tired today, but now that I am up, I am going to enjoy it. (We have a great church with great people.) Adult Bible study is doing the history of the Anglican Church right now... The good and the not so good. Which is nice because it is always good to know why you go to the church you go to. (Generic you,:-)

And of course, I got up early so I could have some quiet time before I have to get ready and, lo and behold, the twerps are up and energized...

• Like 5

I haven't really been to the store lately. I'm thinking of stopping by Walgreens later to check for paper. Dh did find some left over from last year, but there was no tape. Last year's leftovers wouldn't be enough though.

In this family, both nuclear and extended, we have a habit of reusing gift bags and using whatever we have for wrapping presents.  When DH was growing up they ran out of wrapping paper one Christmas so his mother told his brothers and him to wrap the remaining gifts in tissue paper, since that was all they had left.  Next thing she knew there were toilet-paper-wrapped presents all over under the tree! 

This family also ascribes to the traditional philosophy that if something is worth doing it's worth doing (and funny!) excessively.  One year DH's mother had asked for "melties" and "burnies" (rubber spatulas and wooden spoons) for Christmas, so each son (she had 3) got her at least a dozen of each.  At our house we decided to wrap each one individually, breaking open packaged sets to do so.  We formed an assembly line and used lots of different sizes of box, and set to wrapping with a vengeance.  We must have got ahead of ourselves at some point, because one of the presents from us was completely empty when she unwrapped it!

Large, awkward presents might be covered in blankets or tarps.  We might use garbage bags for wrap and let the kids draw on them or affix drawings (if the bags are dark).  We've deliberately taken things out of boxes and put them in different boxes, just to disguise what they were.  We add small rocks, washers, or coins to quiet presents to give them some heft and rattle.

If we run out of tags we just write on the wrapping paper with marker.  This has been rather helpful in past years when we got together with other family.  Tags had a habit of getting separated from their present, leaving it a mystery that could only be solved by someone opening it.  Adults had to open those so no kid would try to claim it really was for them, and watching big, tall men open up Littlest Pet Shop or Baby Tenderlove was quite funny.

• Like 9

Ok, so apparently what I thought were slice and bake cookies are not slice and bake cookies. Guess the kids in Children's Church are going to have to go with crackers again as a snack!

And it's not letting me upload the picture. Well, imagine a whole cookie sheet that is one big, smeary mass of peppermint sugar cookie!

Edited by KrissiK
  • Like 1

Poopaerobics!

I am not running a fever but my head aches and my throat hurts and feels like it is stuffed with mashed potatoes. But without the yumminess of mashed potatoes. I think I need bacon.

Just in case you see them on sale at Walgreens with a $2 off coupon, do not be tempted to buy the "Cold-Eeze cold remedy Plus quick melts" (contain sambucus and other things). They do not melt quickly (unless 20 minutes is quick) and are so foul tasting that you will be fighting your gag reflex the entire time. Also a very bad way to start your day.

• Like 3

DH blanched at the sight of the pictures when he got home. Wimps, the both of you!

I proudly accept my wimpy limitations. ;) haha

I'll call you when it's time for dd to dissect....anything! 

ETA: 

I remember dissecting in high school. My two friends who thought it was the best thing ever partnered up. I was stuck with a girl queasier than me. While they were popping out pig eyes and carving up their pig, I was gagging and my partner was MIA. I was pretty ticked that they didn't share their love and help me out. haha

Edited by Southern Ivy
  • Like 4

In this family, both nuclear and extended, we have a habit of reusing gift bags and using whatever we have for wrapping presents.  When DH was growing up they ran out of wrapping paper one Christmas so his mother told his brothers and him to wrap the remaining gifts in tissue paper, since that was all they had left.  Next thing she knew there were toilet-paper-wrapped presents all over under the tree! 

This family also ascribes to the traditional philosophy that if something is worth doing it's worth doing (and funny!) excessively.  One year DH's mother had asked for "melties" and "burnies" (rubber spatulas and wooden spoons) for Christmas, so each son (she had 3) got her at least a dozen of each.  At our house we decided to wrap each one individually, breaking open packaged sets to do so.  We formed an assembly line and used lots of different sizes of box, and set to wrapping with a vengeance.  We must have got ahead of ourselves at some point, because one of the presents from us was completely empty when she unwrapped it!

Large, awkward presents might be covered in blankets or tarps.  We might use garbage bags for wrap and let the kids draw on them or affix drawings (if the bags are dark).  We've deliberately taken things out of boxes and put them in different boxes, just to disguise what they were.  We add small rocks, washers, or coins to quiet presents to give them some heft and rattle.

If we run out of tags we just write on the wrapping paper with marker.  This has been rather helpful in past years when we got together with other family.  Tags had a habit of getting separated from their present, leaving it a mystery that could only be solved by someone opening it.  Adults had to open those so no kid would try to claim it really was for them, and watching big, tall men open up Littlest Pet Shop or Baby Tenderlove was quite funny.

We mostly use wrapping paper, but we've always loved wrapping things in different ways/boxes/bags. Of course, that's not a whole box of canned mandarins!  :lol:  A couple of years we ran out of tape, so closed packages with various kid stickers. Dh has wrapped one of gifts in one of my tshirts. I like strangely-shaped packages, too. I remember mom putting a small gift (jewelry I think) in successively larger boxes until it was in a box about 2 feet. That took a while to get through. Wrapping becomes an art form.

And, I'm sorry, but toilet paper is a commodity around here (always running out lately!), so no we will NOT be using that to wrap presents. Anything else is a go, though.

• Like 4

What about just an I first name, a T middle name and we'll marry her off to a Mr. Tomething.

I like it!  I'm not sure anyone has thought of just "I" for a first name before!  Think of the fun whenever anyone else referred to themselves in the first person nominative!

I T Tomething!  Unique!  One of a kind!  Never a problem with mistaken identity!  I love it!

• Like 5

I like it! I'm not sure anyone has thought of just "I" for a first name before! Think of the fun whenever anyone else referred to themselves in the first person nominative!

I T Tomething! Unique! One of a kind! Never a problem with mistaken identity! I love it!

She'd always be talking about herself in the 3rd person!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Apa0nG1OfUc

• Like 1

I was convinced that John was a girl and Mary was a boy, and now I have no idea so that's no help. My girlfriend read a book about how girl sperm are faster, but boy sperm are heartier, so if you make your uterus more acidic with diet the girl sperm will die and the boy sperm will get through. She had 3 girls, read the book, then had a boy. Who knows if it worked, but it's interesting to learn so much about baby making.

In some states you can't leave the hospital until the baby has a name. Ohio is one. I was mortified at the fact my husband (this both the man I'm married to *and* the father of my children) had absolutely no rights over John when he was born. He couldn't even get him from the nursery unless I said it was okay. We also couldn't leave until we had a carseat, even if we didn't have a car. It was all very strange.

The disappointing thing is that there have been unfortunate incidences that led hospitals to create these requirements in the first place.  

I think we got past the "give Daddy permission" issue right away -- I entered the hospital with certain instructions written down in my own hand, one of which absolutely NO ONE takes the baby out of my sight unless DADDY is with her.  The hospital staff didn't even have a chance to ask me -- as soon as they started I handed them the paper.  (Please don't grill me during contractions!)  Mommy or Daddy must be with the baby at all times until we are discharged.  They tried to get around this one once, to take the baby for measurements when it was convenient for them.  Since DH had gone home for a shower and a change of clothes I insisted they wait until he returned.

Remember anything that happened during the birth of your other kids, and write instructions to address it.  I was so glad my OB/GYN suggested doing this.  It made certain processing steps go much quicker, and if anyone questioned whether we actually wanted something handled some way we just referred them back to the written instructions.  (This was handy when someone other than DH was visiting and I was trying to rest.  My visitors could just wave the copy of the written instructions we kept in the room at whomever was "inquiring".)

We had an incident with my bed facing the doorway to my room and a student nurse holding the door open while her training nurse tried to get me to disrobe further to check my stitches.  I started to object, but had to get to the point of baldly stating quite loudly, "Close the door!" before the student nurse would do so.  Both nurses fled and never came back.  They sent the head of their department instead (who happened to agree with me and promised to speak to them).  (This incident also involved them entering without knocking, despite my sign on the door instructing people to knock and wait for permission from someone inside to enter, while I was nursing the baby.  Families walking by in the hall got quite a eyeful, and one little boy had to be dragged away by his father.)  For birth #2 I added to my written instructions that my bed would NOT face the door and absolutely no one would enter without permission from me first if the sign was up on the door (we only put it up when I was doing something that left me exposed).  Turns out they had curtains just inside the doorways by then so me being on display was never an issue again.

• Like 2

I knew that, I was just so shocked when I read it at first. As much as I love watching young people enjoy their youth I am also exited for the day their hormones settle, their lives become simpler and they find that peace that teenagers are just incapable of finding.

Yes, I look forward to that day.  DD14 is in full angst stage, and DD11 is starting.  My eldest niece and nephew, ages 16 & 15 respectively, still have not yet reached the peace yet.

With youngest nephew age 2 this is going to take quite some time to get through.  *sigh*

• Like 2

Tea tree oil is antibacterial and works to kill airborne germs when put on simmer in a pot of water on the stove.

Either tea tree oil or eucalyptus oil (can't remember which) also works great at disrupting ant trails if you get ants coming into your house.  Just clean the area with the oil in the water, and the ants won't be able to follow that trail anymore.  You will still need to find a way to prevent them coming in, however, or they will just find a way around it.

Renai, I am proud of you. I am not even close to caught up:-( I am sure I have missed such important happenings that my life will be emptier because of it :crying:

Kids are blowing leaves into the fire pit. It is so weird not to have any snow. There is a small chance we may get some on the 23rd. Of course, we will probably get blizzards on the 26th.

Educational: working on putting together Physics for my rising freshman. Regentrude is currently my best friend, lol. She has convinced me that I want to do Physics first. Labs were the thing killing me, but I found a lab book put out for the NY Regents that looks doable if I get the CTY kit from one of the science suppliers. Crossed fingers.

Other than that, I made awesome sauce last night. Seriously, it was actual sauce that was awesome. :grin: It was a roasted garlic with Parmesan sauce that I put over chicken and roasted veggies. Yum.

Btw, turnips are of the devil. My entire family concurs.

We decided to cover physics this year for science and I figured out why high schools typically wait and have students take it after biology and chemistry -- it's the math.  They want the kids to get more math under their belts before taking physics because the textbooks go quite deep into the math.  We have defaulted to reading through Kuhn's Basic Physics, watching some of the lectures from Great Courses' Physics and Our Universe: How It All Works (Prof. Richard Wolfson) because he does some fun experiments (we fast forward through the heavier math), and playing around with physics toys and working up any experiment we can that sounds like fun.  We also try to one-up each other pointing out physics at work and field trips and fun events.

Next year starts high school, and we will have to get a bit more serious.  But not this year, thankfully.  Physics is fun!

• Like 1

I want to do Christmas with your family!!!

Have you considered salt? You might be low in salt and/or iodine, or limes. I'd make yourself a virgin margarita with salt. Potassium, magnesium, calcium.

Good idea! I hadn't considered the idea that my body actually wanted a margarita. I thought I was just being silly. We could make them for the kids too.

I told a very young friend today that I plan to read Grey's Anatomy next year. She replied "The script?" :lol:

I keep a copy of this around in case of the zombie apocalypse and it is the only thing I have to instruct me how to do surgery on my family using mostly vet med tools.

After that post, I ordered five owl pellets for little dd on amazon.

• Like 6

True story:  When I was young and single and (relatively) attractive, I never, ever drank.  (Or partied or swore or kissed boys etc., etc.)  So the CHP wanted to use me as the "non-drinker" example for a measured-dose alcohol demonstration at a Street Faire.  When I felt sufficiently impaired that I would "give my keys back," they did a breath test on me and I measured a .04.  They got me up to a .08 AND I DON'T REMEMBER.  And my wonderful friends in the DA's office who were my support and my ride home ABANDONED ME and went bar hopping.  So the CHP officers poured me into the patrol car and took me home.  Oh, the neighbors had a FIELD DAY with that one!

:smilielol5: 

Oh, that would probably also be me. :D

• Like 1

Please.  Send an extra 2 dozen my way.

Apparently I signed up to bring something to church tomorrow.  Just got the reminder email.  Why do I do this to myself?  

DH found something online that said my attempts at homemade vanilla likely aren't that weak.  Homemade vanilla extract is paler than store-bought because the manufacturers put in food coloring.  He has now ordered in more vanilla beans so I can do some more things besides extract for the family presents this year.

We have his folks covered.  I still need to get presents on order for delivery to my Dad and my Sis, but I have a clue what to do there.  It's buying for each other and our kids that will become rather interesting, especially since DH's folks tend to go overboard.

I promised the girls we'd make cookies this year, too, and I want to make rum balls.  I guess I'd better hit the grocery store today, too.  DD14 won't mind that -- she's my shopping buddy for today.  DH will go shopping with DD11.  They are currently grudgingly eating lunch after I kicked them off of their computers.

• Like 2

My understanding is this...

Physics is the basic underlayment of all things? It involves the nature of matter and energy and how those things work together in the universe. Kind of like the big picture. Chemistry delves more deeply into the nature of matter. And because biology is so focused on biochemistry now, it is better to delve deep in biology after studying chemistry. This is logical to my brain:-)

So our sequence (God willing, lol) is going to be a lighter, Algebra based physics for 9th. Then, either regular Chem or honors for 10th. Then, AP Bio in 11th (we are doing Miller Levine bio this year in 8th with a Kolbe Core syllabus and he is handling it just fine.) Then, he can pick either and AP Physics or AP Chem for senior year.

This is just where I have come knowing my kids abilities and interests. Not the be all end all, other people do other sequences just fine to. I also think that bio is WAY more interesting now than in the dark ages when we were in school. I want him to be a little older to hit the more complex biochemistry. And physics is kind of fun at this age, lol.

I quite like this progression!  Thank you for sharing, we might do something similar.  This makes more sense and generates much more of a big picture.  

• Like 1

That seems blasphemous ;-)

Our tree goes up in stages because it is big. We put it up and fluff it one day. I light it another (I am a nutty tree lighter. I wind them back and forth in all of the branches so it looks like the whole tree is sparkling. I am a little nazi about it. I also have a weird system of electric that goes with all.of.the.lights so we don't blow fuses:-)

Today we will decorate. So theoretically, Slache and I are doing Christmas decorating together :wub:

We got tired of messing with all of the lights and getting stabbed by the tree.  We bought a fiber-optic tree a few years ago (upgrading from our naked 4-footer), but ended up stringing lights anyway because the fiber optic lights can only be seen when the room is pretty dark.  Last year the girls and I went shopping for a different tree, and DD14 picked out a narrow tree that fits on our landing even better than the previous one.  It has non-blinky white lights (DD14 and I quite like them), but DH is frustrated by no color and no bliky patterns to mess with (he likes his stuff to do stuff).  As a consequence we string ONE string of blinky colored lights, and that seems to satisfy us all.  DH gets lights with color and activity, and the entire tree doesn't seem to be having fits.

DD14 hung the vast majority of ornaments on the tree this year.  I detangled hooks, DH was trying to get something else to work, and DD11 cuddled the box of plush ornaments that no longer sing (their batteries died a year or two back).  DD14 gets extra kudos for doing all the work on the tree!

• Like 3

Dd16 figured that if I chose Eeoyore for the Pooh theme, it would be either her or dh. She said she'd be sad if I chose Piglet for her because I'd be calling her a pig. I hadn't even told her the names I was thinking of! She knows me too well. Sigh.

#thestruggleisreal

Piglet is not a pig, he's (she's?) a Piglet, which is an entirely different animal.  Piglet is kind-hearted and generous, and looks out for everyone else.  Piglet is the smallest, bravest, and cuddliest of all of them, and was my favorite Pooh character when I was young.

Go read The Te of Piglet.  Piglet ROCKS.

• Like 1

I should have mentioned that while the cookies tasted great and were soft in the middle and crispy on the edges, they were also flatter than crepes and amoeba-shaped. Way too embarrassing to bring to the party.

Cookies at Susan's!!!!  I'll bring the cocoa!

• Like 1

Too funny! 

I feel like a horrible Christian at Christmas because we don't have a nativity! Every year I think, too late, about buying a Little People nativity. 

One day, when I'm 90, I'll get a nativity probably. 

You could carve them out of bars of soap!  The kids' art class yesterday included carving things out of soap.  They also used nail polish on "sea" glass pieces to make mock dichroic glass.  Very pretty!

• Like 3

We got tired of messing with all of the lights and getting stabbed by the tree.  We bought a fiber-optic tree a few years ago (upgrading from our naked 4-footer), but ended up stringing lights anyway because the fiber optic lights can only be seen when the room is pretty dark.  Last year the girls and I went shopping for a different tree, and DD14 picked out a narrow tree that fits on our landing even better than the previous one.  It has non-blinky white lights (DD14 and I quite like them), but DH is frustrated by no color and no bliky patterns to mess with (he likes his stuff to do stuff).  As a consequence we string ONE string of blinky colored lights, and that seems to satisfy us all.  DH gets lights with color and activity, and the entire tree doesn't seem to be having fits.

DD14 hung the vast majority of ornaments on the tree this year.  I detangled hooks, DH was trying to get something else to work, and DD11 cuddled the box of plush ornaments that no longer sing (their batteries died a year or two back).  DD14 gets extra kudos for doing all the work on the tree!

We have way too much alike. We also had a naked 5-footer, upgraded this year to a tree with non-blinky white lights. Dh likes color and blinks. Dd16 put one strand of colored blinky lights on the tree, and now all is well. Dd16 and almost-5 put the ornaments on the tree today.