Menu

Ignore this thread!

Bummer I missed the outsourcing conversation.  I don't want to teach science either, but I am a Wile fan (though not a Ham fan).  12yo dd is loving Apologia General this year and we've had several good conversations as a result of the text.  I don't think online classes will work very well for us - internet issues.  But man, with dh getting deployed later this year I would love to outsource more next year.  One thing that might work is the online class that TTC does - once a week, 2 hour discussions about assigned book.  It might be a way to dip our toe in without worrying about turning in assignments or grades.  (She'll be 8th grade next school year.)  Also, I think I heard something about WTMA doing an LTOW class where you tailor the book list to your child.  I suppose the class just teaches the composition side, but still grades whatever your child is writing about.  (Not sure exactly).  Also, I think Landry academy keeps their online "catalog" up all the time - maybe it's worth browsing? 

• Like 3

If the squirrels got in my attic, I would hate them. Currently, they steal from the bird feeders and annoy DH. I am endlessly entertained by his tirades against squirrels, which are sometimes accompanied by actions like running from the room in various states of undress to yell at the squirrels. I think the squirrels are just as amused as I am.

"Beat it stupid squirrel" is a phrase often heard being yelled outside by my kids.

The squirrels really don't bother our birdseed anymore since I bought 2 squirrel proof feeders (http://bromebirdcare.com ) and another feeder that holds black nyjer seed which the squirrels won't even come near.

Now I actually feel a little sorry for them and will occassionally throw some seeds out on the deck for them.

• Like 2

Arrrgh!  I am out of likes! 

Ds learned to crawl because he wanted to get to our Christmas tree. 

The last two Christmases have been the only ones where a pet or child did not pull down our (small 3 foot tall) Christmas tree. 

When we had our 4' tree we put it on a table and fenced the table around with other furniture.  Luckily that was enough to deter our kids when they were small.  DH's brother and his wife put their tree and presents in the playpen (they had a large, square playpen) when their kids were small to keep kids and dogs out of things.  

In college I had a flag with a Christmas tree on it -- I had "won" it at a family reunion for being the attendee who came from the farthest away.  I would pin it to the living room curtains and my roommate and I called it good.  There simply wasn't enough room in that small room for a 3D tree.  

• Like 3

Stocking stuffer: hair chalk.

You're welcome.

Eta: Renai's a butthead.

No, not in this family.  My two DDs will share with their cousins, one of whom is quite disastrous with stuff like that.  We had blue nail polish on a white toilet seat until I decided the seats were old and yellowed enough to warrant replacement.  And that was on one of her good days.  I'd like her a little more mature before we go down that road again.  Not that I can control what the other relatives do, but at least those events aren't in my house.

• Like 2

We got tired of messing with all of the lights and getting stabbed by the tree. We bought a fiber-optic tree a few years ago (upgrading from our naked 4-footer), but ended up stringing lights anyway because the fiber optic lights can only be seen when the room is pretty dark. Last year the girls and I went shopping for a different tree, and DD14 picked out a narrow tree that fits on our landing even better than the previous one. It has non-blinky white lights (DD14 and I quite like them), but DH is frustrated by no color and no bliky patterns to mess with (he likes his stuff to do stuff). As a consequence we string ONE string of blinky colored lights, and that seems to satisfy us all. DH gets lights with color and activity, and the entire tree doesn't seem to be having fits.

DD14 hung the vast majority of ornaments on the tree this year. I detangled hooks, DH was trying to get something else to work, and DD11 cuddled the box of plush ornaments that no longer sing (their batteries died a year or two back). DD14 gets extra kudos for doing all the work on the tree!

A couple of years ago we got a pre-lit tree at Lowes that can switch between colored, white, or blinking (back and forth between both white and colored, and speeds up as it goes, then back to slow again).

Now everyone is happy. In fact, after years of the boys both telling me that they prefer the colored, they seem to put it on steady white quite a lot. But the option is there depending on our mood on any given night.

• Like 3

Finished this morning with about 20 minutes to spare. It needs some repair after the party and there's some refining to do, but overall I'm pretty pleased.

Here's Chewy with two weirdos I've totally never met before in my life:

FZUAYZNl.jpg

Wonderful!  I'm quite impressed!   :hurray:  :hurray:  :hurray:  :hurray:  :hurray:  :hurray:

Bummer I missed the outsourcing conversation. I don't want to teach science either, but I am a Wile fan (though not a Ham fan). 12yo dd is loving Apologia General this year and we've had several good conversations as a result of the text. I don't think online classes will work very well for us - internet issues. But man, with dh getting deployed later this year I would love to outsource more next year. One thing that might work is the online class that TTC does - once a week, 2 hour discussions about assigned book. It might be a way to dip our toe in without worrying about turning in assignments or grades. (She'll be 8th grade next school year.) [bold] Also, I think I heard something about WTMA doing an LTOW class where you tailor the book list to your child. [/bold] I suppose the class just teaches the composition side, but still grades whatever your child is writing about. (Not sure exactly). Also, I think Landry academy keeps their online "catalog" up all the time - maybe it's worth browsing?

To the bolded: Really? That would be awesome sauce! both of my boys are going through the wws series and I want them to take rhetoric at the WTMA too, but I had wanted to add LTOW. If they taught that at WTMA, I would be in heaven:-) Thanks for the tip! Now I know to keep my eyes open when they post next year's course offerings.

Also, if you have Internet issues, you might want to do delayed classes, which some providers offer. That way, if you lose connection, you can just pop back into the recording where you left off. Plus, you get the help with teaching and grading, which is why I :wub: online courses in certain subjects.

• Like 3

Bummer I missed the outsourcing conversation.  I don't want to teach science either, but I am a Wile fan (though not a Ham fan).  12yo dd is loving Apologia General this year and we've had several good conversations as a result of the text.  I don't think online classes will work very well for us - internet issues.  But man, with dh getting deployed later this year I would love to outsource more next year.  One thing that might work is the online class that TTC does - once a week, 2 hour discussions about assigned book.  It might be a way to dip our toe in without worrying about turning in assignments or grades.  (She'll be 8th grade next school year.)  Also, I think I heard something about WTMA doing an LTOW class where you tailor the book list to your child.  I suppose the class just teaches the composition side, but still grades whatever your child is writing about.  (Not sure exactly).  Also, I think Landry academy keeps their online "catalog" up all the time - maybe it's worth browsing? 

And don't forget Virtual Homeschool Group. There are a variety of classes and many of the teachers are really good. Dd16 loves Tammy Moore for the sciences. And it's free.

• Like 3

A couple of years ago we got a pre-lit tree at Lowes that can switch between colored, white, or blinking (back and forth between both white and colored, and speeds up as it goes, then back to slow again).

Now everyone is happy. In fact, after years of the boys both telling me that they prefer the colored, they seem to put it on steady white quite a lot. But the option is there depending on our mood on any given night.

That is a great solution!

After two weeks of ill pets I now have ill children. Bless my pea-picking heart, somebody! I need something. 

Off to find chocolate.

Liking for support and pea-picking, not for the happenings.  We need a chocolate icon.  The only edible one I could find was  :spam: .

• Like 4

Went to coffee with a friend and talked about science and literary analysis planning. And other stuff:-) Dh texts me, "Must be a really big cup of coffee." Did I mention was gone for 2.5 hours? :lol:

Making tilapia and creamed spinach for dinner using leftover awesome sauce from last night.

If Renai is done wrapping, she can come to my house to help, lol.

Can I come cook with you and eat there?  I don't want to have to think of what to fix here tonight.

• Like 1

"Beat it stupid squirrel" is a phrase often heard being yelled outside by my kids.

The squirrels really don't bother our birdseed anymore since I bought 2 squirrel proof feeders (http://bromebirdcare.com ) and another feeder that holds black nyjer seed which the squirrels won't even come near.

Now I actually feel a little sorry for them and will occassionally throw some seeds out on the deck for them.

My kids say this too:-)

There are too many here to feel sorry for. There are so many sometimes, they are a little freaky, lol.

• Like 2

I saw a few more of "my" kids today around town.  I love walking down the street hearing "Bob!" with kids waving or running over for a hug (bob is my nickname at afterschool care).  THe movie was great.  Today both girls had dance, youngest got her picture done with santa, run a pile of errands and now getting ready to go to a xmas party at my folks.

I love it!!!!  "Bob" is the nickname we gave DH's youngest brother's girlfriend in high school when we couldn't remember her name.  She's his wife now, and occasionally we still forget how many years it has been and refer to her by that name.  We love her to pieces, though!

• Like 1

Please make me go through my mail (first step in the whole "pay the bills" thing).  I don't wanna but I gotta. 

Have you gotten this done yet?

:toetap05:  :toetap05:  :toetap05:  :toetap05:

• Like 2

Team Wile here, too.  I did not know dh was being deployed!  This is news to us (or me) here!  I am upset about it, though it is probably old hat to you and your family.  Give details if you wouldn't then have to kill me.  My boys are taking online Spanish this year, and they like it.  I have been pleased. .

And don't forget Virtual Homeschool Group. There are a variety of classes and many of the teachers are really good. Dd16 loves Tammy Moore for the sciences. And it's free.

I was telling someone about this just the other day.

Edited by texasmama
  • Like 3

Team Wile here, too.  I did not know dh was being deployed!  This is news to us (or me) here!  I am upset about it, though it is probably old hat to you and your family.  Give details if you wouldn't then have to kill me.  My boys are taking a Landry Spanish class this year, and they like it.  I have been pleased. It is plenty rigorous, and they are really learning Spanish.

Your boys should drop into my conversation class. I have quite a few shy kids, new-to-learning Spanish kids, and a few speakers. They speak as they want, but sometimes I do have to facilitate a little to keep conversation going. I have a different theme every two weeks, and they are learning some vocabulary and grammar (very little) as well. Themes are according to the student's interest and I post links on the class page for various levels. It's a great group of kids!

And to make my life more difficult, same dd has decided to be vegetarian all of a sudden. She'll do dairy, but no eggs, chicken, or fish. The dd that, the other day, stated she needed to gain more weight. But skips meals. This will not go well. I have half a mind to make her do it herself (planning the foods she wants to eat and I purchase), although I certainly don't mind veggie meals, but I don't need her passing out from hunger. So, I imagine I'll be the one doing most of the planning. She's just not responsible enough for this.

:grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug:

My older dd used to be a vegan, but by then she was old enough to do her own food. 

• Like 1

I'm looking for a good pecan pie recipe that doesn't use corn syrup. I've never made it, and haven't eaten it in years. My girls haven't ever had it, and I don't like store-bought.

America's Test Kitchen has a recipe that uses pure maple syrup instead of corn syrup, and you toast the pecans before chopping them. It is TASTY.

• Like 3

Team Wile here, too.  I did not know dh was being deployed!  This is news to us (or me) here!  I am upset about it, though it is probably old hat to you and your family.  Give details if you wouldn't then have to kill me.  My boys are taking a Landry Spanish class this year, and they like it.  I have been pleased. It is plenty rigorous, and they are really learning Spanish.

Thanks.  He goes to DC in May.  So, not a traumatic deployment for him.  However, I think it will still be traumatic for me.    :lol:

• Like 1

I came back to the board to actually to look at some curriculum stuff & not just to catch up with all of you (I hope that doesn't hurt your guys' feelings!)

now - pout face - you're posting cool things but they're not secular.

is ok. i'm glad you guys have shiny nice things but if anyone has any secular recs for the "latest greatest thing" I'm all ears. I don't even know what I'm looking for. Just want to check out stuff for gr 11-12 for my very unmotivated and much too laid back ds.

• Like 1

I came back to the board to actually to look at some curriculum stuff & not just to catch up with all of you (I hope that doesn't hurt your guys' feelings!)

is ok. i'm glad you guys have shiny nice things but if anyone has any secular recs for the "latest greatest thing" I'm all ears. I don't even know what I'm looking for. Just want to check out stuff for gr 11-12 for my very unmotivated and much too laid back ds.

:ohmy: to the bolded.  I'm pretty crushed.

The WttW/TtC combo could be used secularly.  It relies on O. Henry short stories and literature.  It's a literature analysis/writing combo.  Not IEW but IEW-inspired in parts.  I have no IEW background (nor do my boys), but we have picked up the IEW formulaic essay structure very easily and quickly.  It has a Biblical Allusions project, but you can sub a Classical Allusions project, which I actually wish I had done because I think it is more relevant to the course.  The Biblical Allusions project feels disjointed from the course.  HOWEVER, for an atheist family, it might be interesting to see the Biblical allusions out in the world (kind of a Bible as literature/cultural influence type of thing).  The course overall is not Christian, IMO, though I admit to not being sensitive to all of the references unless I specifically read for them.  But really, I don't recall any mention of God in the student book.  I just asked my boys and they both said no.  It's an inexpensive program (the Student Book) so you could always give it a look see.

Landry and Apologia are not secular, though, in any form or fashion, but I think you already know this.

• Like 1

Your ds sounds like my dd. What are you looking for? I don't know what I need until I read it on here.  :lol:

• Like 5

We do secular here, but we are nowhere near high school yet. Sorry.

Your ds sounds like my dd. What are you looking for? I don't know what I need until I read it on here.  :lol:

I think I need mostly lit stuff. The kid reads a lot on his own & is willing to read a fair bit of assigned stuff but we never really do anything with it. So I need a plan.

We have Lightning Lit here but it's just not sparking any huge enthusiasm in either of us.

I think what I'd like is some video lessons on lit analysis and simple, scaffolded assignments.

this kid is still working through IEW - mostly because we're both a bit "what? what are you supposed to do now? what?"

Loves reading, hates writing.  He's behind his age peers in this area so things geared to slightly younger kids in terms of skill but mature literature...

• Like 1

You would probably like the AP Human Geo sources I have been looking at. The Rubenstein text and the Guns, Germs, and Steel books are worth looking into.

:ohmy: to the bolded.  I'm pretty crushed.

The WttW/TtC combo could be used secularly.  It relies on O. Henry short stories and literature.  It's a literature analysis/writing combo.  Not IEW but IEW-inspired in parts.  I have no IEW background (nor do my boys), but we have picked up the IEW formulaic essay structure very easily and quickly.  It has a Biblical Allusions project, but you can sub a Classical Allusions project, which I actually wish I had done because I think it is more relevant to the course.  The Biblical Allusions project feels disjointed from the course.  HOWEVER, for an atheist family, it might be interesting to see the Biblical allusions out in the world (kind of a Bible as literature/cultural influence type of thing).  The course overall is not Christian, IMO, though I admit to not being sensitive to all of the references unless I specifically read for them.  But really, I don't recall any mention of God in the student book.  I just asked my boys and they both said no.  It's an inexpensive program (the Student Book) so you could always give it a look see.

Landry and Apologia are not secular, though, in any form or fashion, but I think you already know this.

Ok, lemme look at it again. It scared me off when on the page it says "† Contains distinctly Christian content"

We actually have not problem at all doing Biblical allusions & would welcome it. Can't really appreciate much of Western canon without a smattering of bible knowledge & I think the KJV is quite beautiful in parts. 

p.s. I came back because I missed you all but I don't want to get too maudlin

• Like 1

You would probably like the AP Human Geo sources I have been looking at. The Rubenstein text and the Guns, Germs, and Steel books are worth looking into.

you know, that does sound good. He read CJ Chivers The Gun a couple summers ago & I think he would like Guns, Germs and Steel. It's a topic that would keep him interested. Thx. Off to search...

• Like 1

I think I need mostly lit stuff. The kid reads a lot on his own & is willing to read a fair bit of assigned stuff but we never really do anything with it. So I need a plan.

We have Lightning Lit here but it's just not sparking any huge enthusiasm in either of us.

I think what I'd like is some video lessons on lit analysis and simple, scaffolded assignments.

this kid is still working through IEW - mostly because we're both a bit "what? what are you supposed to do now? what?"

Loves reading, hates writing.  He's behind his age peers in this area so things geared to slightly younger kids in terms of skill but mature literature...

Ok, lemme look at it again. It scared me off when on the page it says "† Contains distinctly Christian content"

We actually have not problem at all doing Biblical allusions & would welcome it. Can't really appreciate much of Western canon without a smattering of bible knowledge & I think the KJV is quite beautiful in parts. 

p.s. I came back because I missed you all but I don't want to get too maudlin

Reading the first quote, WttW with TtC is along the lines of what you want.  Not that it will be perfect, but it would be worth a look.  I think the Christian Content is the Biblical Allusions.  I LOVE Adam Andrews TtC DVDs.  I asked my students to do the Jill Pike syllabus assignments, and they are a helpful way to begin literature analysis.  Adam is super cute, enthusiastic, and has a great grasp of the material.  His audience in the DVDs is adults (teachers) so your ds would not feel talked down to.  He uses simple children's stories like Peter Rabbit to illustrate the story arcs.  I have subbed in Frankenstein for Jane Eyre in the WttW portion because I could not even with Jane Eyre.

P.S.  I think of you every time I cut my dog's nails.   :lol: (I have given up on doing it myself, but I still think of you. :leaving: )

• Like 1

What is human geography?

Lol, that's a good question.

The study of human dispersal and movement due to environmental factors as well as cultural development based on the land, etc. they are living in. It is way more comprehensive than I had originall thought. It even includes urban planning, etc.

I wanted a "get our feet wet" AP for freshman year. The more I looked into it, the more interested I got, lol. I think we are going to give it a go. I am writing a syllabus. I have the Rubenstein text. I also have a Kuby and a de Blij. (I heart AbeBooks.)

And for Hornblower, also check out "Humankind" by Harcourt. It is a bit of a slog because instead of simply footnoting studies he does more of an in-line citation method which clutters up the text. But, if you can get past that, it is interesting. I am reading it right now and the stuff in the African diaspora is sucking me in:-)

• Like 2

Non-homeschool topic:

DS did not want to get his own cereal this morning. He wanted me to do the work. Well, I'm kind of sick of pouring cereal for a 9 yo, kwim?

What are you going to do during the zombie apocalypse when I get bit and you're in your own? I asked.

Well, who knew? All day he has been doing things for himself.

Now if I can just get him to pick up his Legos.

• Like 4

You are all talking way too much educational stuff for this to be my happy place.

I belong to the "these kids are homeschooled by wolves" method of homeschooling.

I am sleepy and am probably sleep typing. :leaving:

Are you kidding?! My wolves are specially trained in geography. Get with the program girl!

• Like 1

Reading the first quote, WttW with TtC is along the lines of what you want.  Not that it will be perfect, but it would be worth a look.  I think the Christian Content is the Biblical Allusions.  I LOVE Adam Andrews TtC DVDs.  I asked my students to do the Jill Pike syllabus assignments, and they are a helpful way to begin literature analysis.  Adam is super cute, enthusiastic, and has a great grasp of the material.  His audience in the DVDs is adults (teachers) so your ds would not feel talked down to.  He uses simple children's stories like Peter Rabbit to illustrate the story arcs.  I have subbed in Frankenstein for Jane Eyre in the WttW portion because I could not even with Jane Eyre.

P.S.  I think of you every time I cut my dog's nails.   :lol: (I have given up on doing it myself, but I still think of you. :leaving: )

ok you know, that does sound good.

I have a soft spot for Jane. If we were doing Jane, I'd have to rewatch the one with Toby Stephens, right? 

(Actually, who am I kidding, I like it because of the DOG. Oh how I love Pilot...)

Girl, am I going to have to drive to Texas with my dremel?

ETA:   BOOYA!!!!! What a way to come back, eh? 

Edited by hornblower
  • Like 1

Non-homeschool topic:

DS did not want to get his own cereal this morning. He wanted me to do the work. Well, I'm kind of sick of pouring cereal for a 9 yo, kwim?

What are you going to do during the zombie apocalypse when I get bit and you're in your own? I asked.

Well, who knew? All day he has been doing things for himself.

Now if I can just get him to pick up his Legos.

You are well within your rights to offload cereal pouring. Just tell him if he is too young to pour cereal, he is to young to play with Legos. Two birds, one stone :D

• Like 3