Menu

Prom dress--any way to add sparkles/shimmer?

Ottakee

Depending on the dress, a sparkly belt and/or sparkles around the neckline. Fabric stores and Hobby Lobby have cute sparkly ribbons that could work and be fairly easy to sew on. A nice sparkly belt could be reused for other things, but it might look odd depending on the belt and dress.

I would handsew beads around the hem and perhaps the neckline--tonal ones, likely!  Like red bugle or chop beads.  That will take a little while, but if you like to sew and watch movies (I do!), it won't *feel* too fast!  I don't know what your deadline is, though! 

Stoning is the process of glueing rhinestones to fabric. The crystals, special glue, and a little "pen" for holding the stones for easier placement can be found at craft stores. We get ours from Michael's or Hobby Lobby. We stone everything at our house from clothing to luggage to furniture. Have fun.

• Like 2

Here are some ideas, they sell ribbon like this at craft stores or fabric stores, you could do it yourself cheaper:

https://www.etsy.com/browse/weddings/wedding-party/bridesmaids/belts

Also, an article about how to glam up your little black dress, you could take the general ideas you like and use them with your dress.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/peggy/23-ways-to-glam-up-your-little-black-dress#.mwyEoLjBj

• Like 1

We did find this dress at a thrift store. I like the idea of bling earrings and necklace. We will see if she goes for it.

We tried 6 other stores...thrift and regular but sue is hard to fit as she is 5 foot tall but very busty and a size 12/14

For my daughter we bought this dress and I hand stitched a chain of rhinestones around the waist. The dress has some nice fabric details that don't show well in the picture, but the dress when from pretty to beautiful with an hour of hand stitching and a little trim. 

She wore my real diamond jewelry and a cute pair of black sparkly shoes. 

• Like 1

A few packs of  Swarovski crystals (use some coupons) scattered around  the dress and attached with e6000 glue.  Says the figure skating mom who has 'blinged' a lot of costumes in the last few years.

Swarovski crystals really DO have more glitz than regular cheap crystals. Really worth it, especially if you can get them with coupons.

• Like 1