Menu

Florida law re: swim diapers?

We are traveling soon to visit my dm at her retirement community in Florida, and have been informed by her that no non-potty-trained children are allowed in the pool, even with swim diapers and a waterproof cover.  

She has insisted repeatedly that this is state law.

Can any of you Floridians shed light on this for me?  I've never heard such a thing, and all I can find online suggests the opposite… that such rules violate housing fairness laws and public pool regulations (even in 55+ communities).  

FWIW-- I'm her guest and plan to abide by whatever rules she sets, regardless of whether or not they are state law and whether or not I agree with them; but dd2 loves the water, has had full access to pools here in the north with nary an accident, and if I can find a pool outside of dm's community that she can use, we will choose to use that instead.  

Thanks in advance for your help!

• Like 1

Pee in a pool is gross but it won't hurt you. Swim diapers aren't made to keep pee in. They are made to contain poo.

Funny story, we were swimming in Lake Erie and a 4yo child of mine asked if it was ok to potty in the lake. I didn't think anything of it and said it was ok. Never assume, right? Kiddo pooped. We quickly swished out the suit and swam away.

• Like 1

There was a poop incident in our local pool this week. There were no children in the water at the time. There was a senior water exercise class in progress. It happens!

That's so sad.

That's crazy talk. It's her community's rule and nothing more. I've taken non-PTed babies in pools at Disney and many beach areas.

Yup, that was my initial guess… crazy talk.  And she's a complex person, so there could be any number of things behind that crazy talk.   :001_rolleyes:  It may very well be the policy of the community, though from all I've read this afternoon they could be fined for officially having such a policy.  If the official "rule" is "No Diapers," we will just let her go au natural… that'll show 'em.  :D

Thanks for all the help, everyone!  

• Like 3

My view is that's a wonderful policy for a community pool.

My big ick factor with public pools is they are not anywhere near has clean as I insist. They just keep adding chlorine bc they don't want to deal with closing the pool every time they should and listen to people complain. Or just lazy pool maintence. And people do things there that they'd be really upset to clean up if it was their own pool, but act like it's no big deal in a community pool.

For normal poo, the swimmers I have keep it contained for my little guy. The problem is, breastfed only baby poo and diarrhea laugh at any diaper. A blow out in a pool is going to need more than an extra chlorine tab to get me swimming in it again.

I personally vote for skipping adding diapers (on anyone) to community/public pools.

Huh? What is sad about that?

Uh, it's really sad when folks lose their continence. Wouldn't you be mortified and humiliated to crap the pool? I would imagine that the incident was the end of one person's senior water exercise class . . . Losing one more thing, probably in a long line of loss. 

I would guess you haven't cared for an aging loved one as their humiliations and losses mount. Some day, you'll likely know what's sad about that.

• Like 8

Martha, on 13 Mar 2015 - 8:03 PM, said:Martha, on 13 Mar 2015 - 8:03 PM, said:Martha, on 13 Mar 2015 - 8:03 PM, said:

My view is that's a wonderful policy for a community pool.

My big ick factor with public pools is they are not anywhere near has clean as I insist. They just keep adding chlorine bc they don't want to deal with closing the pool every time they should and listen to people complain. 

I have to agree with this.  it can totally mess up the biochemistry in the pool that can end up making swimmers ill.

I went to a public pool once, and the chemicals were so messed up, I became dizzy and nauseous and very fuzzy brain.  I had to get out.  the staff admitted the chemistry was messed up because of different factors.

I wasn't the only person who became ill - but they kept the pool open anyway.

and I think of the one pool where a woman drowned.  because the water was so cloudy they couldn't see anything so they dismissed the boy who reported a woman having problems.  three days later she floated to the top.

Uh, it's really sad when folks lose their continence. Wouldn't you be mortified and humiliated to crap the pool? I would imagine that the incident was the end of one person's senior water exercise class . . . Losing one more thing, probably in a long line of loss.

I would guess you haven't cared for an aging loved one as their humiliations and losses mount. Some day, you'll likely know what's sad about that.

I was reading "sad" as "disgraceful" rather than as "unfortunate."

• Like 1

I was reading "sad" as "disgraceful" rather than as "unfortunate."

LOL, you must be much younger than I am. In my 40-something brain, "unfortunate"(or the opposite of "happy") is still my first dictionary definition of "sad" with "disgraceful" being a distant second. Language evolves, lol. 

I'm glad to know you didn't mean it the way I took it. Sorry to snap at you. I'm caretaking for my mom who has Alzheimer's and is losing more of herself every day, so I'm a bit sensitive about this topic. If my guess is right, and you are much younger than I am, then hopefully you have a decade or two before you have to face this particular challenge (a declining parent).

• Like 2

LOL, you must be much younger than I am. In my 40-something brain, "unfortunate"(or the opposite of "happy") is still my first dictionary definition of "sad" with "disgraceful" being a distant second. Language evolves, lol.

I'm glad to know you didn't mean it the way I took it. Sorry to snap at you. I'm caretaking for my mom who has Alzheimer's and is losing more of herself every day, so I'm a bit sensitive about this topic. If my guess is right, and you are much younger than I am, then hopefully you have a decade or two before you have to face this particular challenge (a declining parent).

I'm your age range and have watched my mother and might as well be my mother and grandparents decline. My mother died of cancer when I was 22 and I cared for her. It came across as "disgraceful" rather than "sad" to me too.

I'm glad that's not what you meant. (((Hugs)))

• Like 2

I'm your age range and have watched my mother and might as well be my mother and grandparents decline. My mother died of cancer when I was 22 and I cared for her. It came across as "disgraceful" rather than "sad" to me too.

I'm glad that's not what you meant. (((Hugs)))

Just to clarify, I wasn't the poster to use "sad". I just stepped in to clarify/explain the other poster  . . . What a big internet-communication-SNAFU

• Like 1

I said sad. I meant it as in "I'm sure some poor older person was horrified to lose control in a public setting like that and they will probably never swim again. Getting older can be heartbreaking."

• Like 4

I have never heard sad used as disgraceful. It would have been awful for the person and they may have never gone in the pool again. I suspect in this case the building owners don't want to have to deal with the pool being out of action while they clean it.