Menu

Coat vests and ugly birthday gifts

Night Elf

Are those goat sweaters cut down gymboree sweaters? I think my dd wore sweaters in that same color way in 2009.

No, they're dog sweaters someone gave us that don't actually fit either of our small dogs particularly well (one dog is too big, the other too small). Which I guess makes this totally fit if the subject really were "Goat vests and ugly birthday gifts".

One of the goats wasn't being cared for by her mother and wasn't doing too well, so we brought her inside and sweatered her up to keep her warm. The other did have a good mom, but we had him in mind as a pet for someone who had expressed interest, so we were making sure he got adequately socialized (and couldn't resist the photo op  :rolleyes:). Both ended up doing fine and being adopted.

Don't wear it if you don't like it! I am not fond of vests either, but my kids love them. My mom gets them for the boys as christmas gifts and they wear them all fall, winter and spring.

And in my parts, upstate NY, people have been wearing them my whole life. They can be good over a very heavy sweater that isn't quite warm enough to wear without a coat, but is bulky enough to make a coat uncomfortable. Or they can bulk up a thin coat where it matters.  My boys like to wear them inside as a warm layer. LL Bean has been making them for a long time. I have been known to use my dh's when I have to shovel snow. It keeps me warm but I can move my arms more freely.

But you don't have to justify not liking them. They aren't to your taste, no biggie. :001_smile:

I had one of these quite a few years ago. You know the last time or two around as I tell my dd. I wore it with a wool sweater cross country skiing. Other than that I either wanted sleeves or didn't want something that warm. And then there is the part about how the puffer fits.  lol Wear what pleases you. 

Op...Would it hurt your mom's feeling if you didn't keep it?  Speaking for myself, I would feel awful if I gave a gift and it was only used or worn to make me happy.

Unfortunately, yes. This isn't the first time she's given me super bright clothing. She's given me a bright yellow shirt and a candy apple red shirt that was cut weird. I just don't wear bright colors and I tell her that. But she buys things she would wear. I get that. I kept those other two shirts in my closet for a couple of years before giving them away. I guess I'll hold onto this vest. In all the pictures I've seen on this thread, the outfits are cute. This just isn't cute. Besides its bright color, it has two pockets on the front that are closed with snaps. Those aren't necessary and look odd, like stuck on as an after thought. At least my mom lives more than an hour away, so I don't have to see her too often. We talk on the phone nearly every day though. We're really close. I just don't want to hurt her feelings.

I think your mom should have found a puffer vest in a tropical fruit pattern/print. :lol:  (Ah! Maybe that's on tap for next year.)

Actually, I do see them around & think they're stylish. I'm not a fan of royal blue, but, as others have said, you could pair it with many colors/patterns -- white, beige, gray, black, olive green, orange, red, navy, light blue, pink, plaids, flower prints, stripes, etc.... Scroll down for a few photos with royal blue puffer vest-ery: http://namesnotashley.com/tag/puffer-vest/

Or here: http://www.instyle.com/instyle/package/general/photos/0,,20720151_20758813_30057004,00.html

https://dtpmhvbsmffsz.cloudfront.net/posts/2013/11/06/527a851863428045af01c1b1/m_527a851e63428045af01c1ba.jpg

Happy belated birthday!

Your first link shows the exact color I have and I would have never thought to pair it with a shirt like that. I don't have a good fashion sense.

Haha, when you said coat vests, I pictured a down vest that went down to your ankles, which truly seemed ugly to me!  But what you talk about is popular here, in certain conditions.  For example, sometimes it's so cold that you wear a thick wool sweater all day, but then you don't really want to put on a thick jacket on top of that when you run a quick errand, so you put on a down vest.

But if you don't want it, I'd probably try and sell it at a consignment store.  (And for the record, I don't wear them, but a couple of my daughters and 87-year-old father do.  :))

What a bummer for you.  If I didn't feel good wearing it, I  would find a way to get rid of it and just field any questions with vague answers.  Would she actually question you about it?   I certainly understand not wanting hurt her feelings, but it just sounds like it brings you down.

Unfortunately, yes. This isn't the first time she's given me super bright clothing. She's given me a bright yellow shirt and a candy apple red shirt that was cut weird. I just don't wear bright colors and I tell her that. But she buys things she would wear. I get that. I kept those other two shirts in my closet for a couple of years before giving them away. I guess I'll hold onto this vest. In all the pictures I've seen on this thread, the outfits are cute. This just isn't cute. Besides its bright color, it has two pockets on the front that are closed with snaps. Those aren't necessary and look odd, like stuck on as an after thought. At least my mom lives more than an hour away, so I don't have to see her too often. We talk on the phone nearly every day though. We're really close. I just don't want to hurt her feelings.

Your first link shows the exact color I have and I would have never thought to pair it with a shirt like that.

I can't carry off that color. I tried that color in store and we ended up getting a bright orange vest with zips and snaps for hiking. For bright colors I can carry off yellow, orange, red but I need the rich deep tones for blue, green, brown.

These vests are popular with shoppers once most of the winter coats disappear from the stores about a month ago.

I love vests. With jeans and a long-sleeve t-shirt, they look cute and keep me warm. They're very common here. It's almost a mommy uniform: Jeans, long-sleeve t or hoodie or light sweater (heavy sweater on a really cold day), vest, boots. I see them on older folks and on college students also.

Royal blue would be hard, though, as it would be difficult to match. I prefer darker more neutral tones. Can you exchange it for a different color?

Cat