Menu

When would you consider a service animal?

Whereneverever

I think it sounds like your dd would be a good candidate.  Remember that stress can contribute to seizures, and being around animals lowers stress.  I know that for me, if I start to have an aura, it makes me nervous and the stress makes the aura worse and that makes me feel more nervous- it's kind of a vicious cycle.  If I had a service dog, it would help me feel less stressed out, and so less prone to seizures.  It depends on what causes the seizures, of course, but if it might help, go for it!

I would absolutely get a dog if I believed that there was any chance it would improve my child's quality of life and I could care for it. I don't think you should worry about whether someone else needs it more. Every agency has its own algorithms to decide who gets an animal. Just opting out does not mean that a more needy person will spontaneously find out about and make use of the program. If there is such a person, they will be prioritized and you will be asked to wait.

Big hugs and I hope your daughter finds a therapy that helps improve her life!

Think of what would be best for your own child and act accordingly. It sounds like a service animal would be great for your dd, so if you can find a way to make it happen, I think you should do it.

You are so sweet to think of others, but there is absolutely nothing selfish about helping your own dd!

I have a friend with a 3 yr. old diabetic, downs syndrome daughter. They are getting a dog for her. It has made their life much better, as he alerts lows and highs much quicker than her monitor. For the past year, the dog has been training with both the trainer and the family, so they don't have him all the time yet. The two of them are best buddies. From what I've seen, it's been great for them.

I've been researching this off and on for years for my daughter (DD#2 has epilepsy and is almost 8 years old). 

I keep struggling with feeling like someone else would benefit more, or that it's so much money to raise, or.... I'm not sure.

We have a dog and a cat already. DD is an animal lover. Her seizures are not well controlled on medication. No one has said it's a bad idea, this is just me.

So, HIve, any advice?

:grouphug:

Yes, there probably ARE people who can benefit more, and very likely people with far less need than your DD who have service animals. Please don't base your decision on other people. More animals can be trained. It can never be 100% fair, so make the right decision for *your* child, which sounds like a service animal. Especially because you said medication isn't keeping it under enough control.

Costs of owning the animal?  What about the costs of not controlling her seizures? I'd sell everything I owned and probably some things I don't own (haha KIDDING!) if it meant I could have some better days and peace of mind for my child's medical needs.  :grouphug:

I've been researching this off and on for years for my daughter (DD#2 has epilepsy and is almost 8 years old).

I keep struggling with feeling like someone else would benefit more, or that it's so much money to raise, or.... I'm not sure.

We have a dog and a cat already. DD is an animal lover. Her seizures are not well controlled on medication. No one has said it's a bad idea, this is just me.

So, HIve, any advice?

It touches me so much that in the midst of your struggle with your DD, you would consider others' needs while making your decision. You're such a sweetheart.

I think it is a great idea to look into getting a service dog for your DD. Do your research and maybe start to find out the different criteria organizations have.

Best wishes, as always. :grouphug:

Keep in mind that you aren't making the decision about whether or not she needs a service dog more than someone else does.  That determination is up to whatever agency(ies) you apply to.

You can only make the decision about whether or not to apply to be considered.

So I wouldn't over-think it.  If you believe your DD would benefit (and you can afford another animal) then I would apply and see what happens.

You would be surprised how many clients are weeded out simply because they do not follow through with all the steps.  Please do your homework in choosing a SD organization.  There are some great ones out there, pretty good, and then unfortunately there are a lot out there just to make $10-$20K and leave you with a very poorly behaved dog.  

Good luck on your decision.  

I think it sounds like a great idea!  

Caring for a child with health issues can bring so many practical/medical/logistical issues, and sometimes I feel like I personally over focus on practical problem solving.  With that in mind, I think it's a beautiful thing that one of your potential strategies in caring for your child is based in joy, relationship with an animal and an open heart to both the physiological and emotional benefits that could bring.

Amy

I think a service dog could be a real blessing for your DD, and you shouldn't feel guilty about others needing the dog "more". There are so many benefits to kids in having/caring for pets in general, and a service dog could give her a great deal of confidence and control in managing her epilepsy. I had active seizures (hormonal/migraine related) for about a decade in my teens/20s, and the worst part was feeling so out of control. Having some way to know when a seizure was coming and the confidence that I could respond before it happens, which is what a seizure alert dog can give, would have been so reassuring.

I wish I had had a service dog as a type 1 diabetic when I was in high school and early in college as I had so many lows that could have been prevented and treated earlier. They were not on offer at the time and at this point they still are not in this country. Your daughter sounds like a good candidate for one - does she want a dog and how does she feel about having one with her all the time - or when would you plan to have the dog with her? Have you discussed this with her yet as I would think her feelings about it are probably more important than anyone's - of course the problem is you may need to prepare her for disappointment if she gets excited and can't get one.

I think it sounds like a wonderful option for her. Growing up, we trained many service dogs and I remember a wide variety of needs being met once our dogs "graduated" with their new owners. It was a great experience to have, but the best part was in the giving, knowing what a huge difference the dogs' companionship and specialized training would make in other people's lives.

I agree with everyone else--it's so sweet of you to be concerned about who might benefit "more", but don't let that stand in your way of applying. There really isn't more, just different (having different needs met).

Best of luck!

Thank you so much to everyone who weighed in! :)

I'll have to talk to DD and see what she thinks. We can afford care for another animal and we've been approached by a foundation that helps raise some of the initial costs for the dog (and has worked with the org training the dogs in question, before). 

I really want to empower my sweetie to feel safe being independent as she gets bigger and I think this would help. 

There are at least 2 "Extras" on Fox News Channel, about "service dogs".  When the viewers in the USA see commercials, we, the overseas viewers, are shown "extras".

One of those "Extras" is about "Service dogs" for people with epilepsy or diabetes. As I write this, I can;t remember which it is. The dogs are trained to notify the owner, before they are going to experience a problem.    Awesome...

There is also an "Extra" about "Service dogs" for Veterans with P.T.S.D.   Since I have P.T.S.D. I found that one quite interesting.

​There is a lot of evidence that people who have  pets, dogs, cats, etc., have better health, physical and mental.  

Possibly if you get a service dog, the dog would help your daughter and improve her health.

Thank you so much to everyone who weighed in! :)

I'll have to talk to DD and see what she thinks. We can afford care for another animal and we've been approached by a foundation that helps raise some of the initial costs for the dog (and has worked with the org training the dogs in question, before).

I really want to empower my sweetie to feel safe being independent as she gets bigger and I think this would help.

I've been thinking about service dogs bc DD had a bad fall in the bathroom the other day bc of a seizure and had some injuries.

I was thinking...would/does the dog move around the house every time the person does? Go to the bathroom every time the person does? How soon before the seizure can the dog sense it?

In DD's case, could the dog have helped prevent the subsequent injuries?

I'm just wondering logistically...how would it all work?

I've been thinking about service dogs bc DD had a bad fall in the bathroom the other day bc of a seizure and had some injuries.

I was thinking...would/does the dog move around the house every time the person does? Go to the bathroom every time the person does? How soon before the seizure can the dog sense it?

I have some friends with service animals and they do seem to keep them close all the time. I'm not sure how far before a sx they can alert, did you get a chance to look at the Empatica Embrace? They're saying that predicts 15 mins before a convulsive sx. 

My dogs aren't service dogs, but that's exactly what they do.  They shadow me everywhere I go.  Everywhere.  Most pet dogs do that instinctively, I think, because they want to be with their person.  So it wouldn't be much of a thing to teach a service dog, other than reinforcing who their person is.

So when most people think of a service dog, they think of a dog specifically chosen based on personality and intelligence, trained from puppyhood, and costing thousands of dollars. I also thought they were "on the job" and for a single person.  That certainly is one way to get a service dog.  It isn't the only way.  

But before that (and ultimately, after that), I went to the service dog training place next to my gym one morning.  I told them that I was hoping to find a trainer who could help Heidi be "something more."  I didn't think service was a choice because I thought service dogs were done one way and cost way too much.  Besides, I already had the puppy (then 8 weeks old).  I told the woman that I had adopted some hurt children and we fostered.  I specifically wanted her to be able to help with PTSD, anxiety, etc.  She told me that that is what they did there, trained dogs, often specifically for PTSD of veterans.  

In the end, I decided to wait.  I regret that decision, but.....

When I did puppy training with Heidi, the woman who helped us had a terrier of some sort, a little older dog, who was trained to detect her blood sugar.  He also helped train other dogs.  She had trained him herself.  That was the first time I knew there was another option.  She said she could work with me to get Heidi where we needed her to be for my son (FASD and RAD)...the thinking was that a service dog is for a specific person.

Then I really felt we needed the trainer the service dog place suggested (someone who actually worked there but did pet training on the side).  Valerie is our hero :)

Sooooo, Heidi became MY service dog (still in training, technically) for Secondary PTSD.  She is also my children's "emotional support" dog (blowing out the "single job/person" belief). However, part of what has ALSO happened is that Josie (our Lhasa) has become an EXCELLENT emotional support dog.  Old dogs CAN be taught new tricks.

On that note, I have noticed that many cardiac alert service dogs, diabetes service dogs, etc are smaller dogs. When they aren't opening a door, giving physical support, etc, they *can* be smaller dogs.  

Anyway, what I've learned, though, is that service dogs can be a pet, even one who had behavioral issues, was "just a pet," etc.  So maybe the dog you already have could be trained?  Or maybe you can get help choosing a good dog to train?  Maybe there is a private service dog trainer locally.  A certified dog trainer can probably help you find one.  I could ask our trainer. 

Soooo, if you did your service dog training privately, like this, you *wouldn't* be accepting a dog who could help someone else (though I think that is a non-issue as your child is just as worthy as someone, even one more affected.  But though I couldn't read through the whole thread yet, I know someone else has addressed that).  

Hope this helps a little,

I have some friends with service animals and they do seem to keep them close all the time. I'm not sure how far before a sx they can alert, did you get a chance to look at the Empatica Embrace? They're saying that predicts 15 mins before a convulsive sx.

Oh, thanks for the reminder! I had forgotten about that.

My dogs aren't service dogs, but that's exactly what they do. They shadow me everywhere I go. Everywhere. Most pet dogs do that instinctively, I think, because they want to be with their person. So it wouldn't be much of a thing to teach a service dog, other than reinforcing who their person is.

The Head of Homeland Security (see avatar :D) does this with me (follows me around the house.)

I ask him, "Why are you following me?"

His answer is usually, "Chicken." :lol:

So when most people think of a service dog, they think of a dog specifically chosen based on personality and intelligence, trained from puppyhood, and costing thousands of dollars. I also thought they were "on the job" and for a single person.  That certainly is one way to get a service dog.  It isn't the only way.  

But before that (and ultimately, after that), I went to the service dog training place next to my gym one morning.  I told them that I was hoping to find a trainer who could help Heidi be "something more."  I didn't think service was a choice because I thought service dogs were done one way and cost way too much.  Besides, I already had the puppy (then 8 weeks old).  I told the woman that I had adopted some hurt children and we fostered.  I specifically wanted her to be able to help with PTSD, anxiety, etc.  She told me that that is what they did there, trained dogs, often specifically for PTSD of veterans.  

In the end, I decided to wait.  I regret that decision, but.....

When I did puppy training with Heidi, the woman who helped us had a terrier of some sort, a little older dog, who was trained to detect her blood sugar.  He also helped train other dogs.  She had trained him herself.  That was the first time I knew there was another option.  She said she could work with me to get Heidi where we needed her to be for my son (FASD and RAD)...the thinking was that a service dog is for a specific person.

Then I really felt we needed the trainer the service dog place suggested (someone who actually worked there but did pet training on the side).  Valerie is our hero :)

Sooooo, Heidi became MY service dog (still in training, technically) for Secondary PTSD.  She is also my children's "emotional support" dog (blowing out the "single job/person" belief). However, part of what has ALSO happened is that Josie (our Lhasa) has become an EXCELLENT emotional support dog.  Old dogs CAN be taught new tricks.

On that note, I have noticed that many cardiac alert service dogs, diabetes service dogs, etc are smaller dogs. When they aren't opening a door, giving physical support, etc, they *can* be smaller dogs.  

Anyway, what I've learned, though, is that service dogs can be a pet, even one who had behavioral issues, was "just a pet," etc.  So maybe the dog you already have could be trained?  Or maybe you can get help choosing a good dog to train?  Maybe there is a private service dog trainer locally.  A certified dog trainer can probably help you find one.  I could ask our trainer. 

Soooo, if you did your service dog training privately, like this, you *wouldn't* be accepting a dog who could help someone else (though I think that is a non-issue as your child is just as worthy as someone, even one more affected.  But though I couldn't read through the whole thread yet, I know someone else has addressed that).  

Hope this helps a little,

Our current dog is an absolute love but he's a Saint Bernard and I don't think a dog that big would be easy for public access. I do want a midsized dog since a pretty common task for seizure dogs is helping steady someone post ictal. :)

Thanks, though, and I'm so glad that your dogs are helping your family so much! Dogs are amazing. 

Our current dog is an absolute love but he's a Saint Bernard and I don't think a dog that big would be easy for public access. I do want a midsized dog since a pretty common task for seizure dogs is helping steady someone post ictal. :)

Thanks, though, and I'm so glad that your dogs are helping your family so much! Dogs are amazing.

I might have said this before but Patch gets very agitated and tries to guard DD DURING a seizure. He stands in front of her and barks.

But after, he is a sweetheart. He curls right up next to her, as close as he can get. It is so sweet it makes me cry.