Menu

Are you liking your foam mattress...?

Liz CA

We are still in the process of selecting a mattress. No easy task!

These are things I need to consider:

I need a relatively firm mattress to keep my back happy.

Dh likes it on the soft side, but would be happy with a pillow top or a foam as long as it does not feel to him he is sleeping on a wooden board.

So far, we have only had regular spring mattresses which last anywhere from 5-7 years or so it seems.

Should I even consider foam at all given my firmness requirements? What is the average life span of a foam mattress>

Someone linked me this site https://www.tuftandneedle.com and they look interesting but are all foam.

I don't want to spend more than $1000.

We have an IKEA foam mattress and it has been good for many years (10, maybe?).  You can have a top on it so it isn't quite as hard as a board.  :).  I don't know how long other mattresses last with people as heavy as we are, but this one *I* have needed to have the softer top thing off my side the last year or two because it is a bit bowl-like now.  The mattress itself is still solid and firm (and just how I like it :)).

I just ordered a foam mattress from www.bedinabox.com. Its should be here tomorrow, or Friday. (I'm not sure how the New Year affects FedEx.)

They have really good reviews on sleeplikethedead.com, and on the internet in general.

Seems to meet all your needs.... I can't tell you if I'm happy yet, but I hope I will be! :)

We are upgrading from a queen to a king- and I can't wait for the extra room.

I ordered the orginal mattress (got the 11 inch one) plus a king size foundation and my total was $1298. Free shipping.

Seems to meet all your needs.... I can't tell you if I'm happy yet, but I hope I will be! :)

We are upgrading from a queen to a king- and I can't wait for the extra room.

We did the opposite - downsized from a king to a queen. It looks tiny after sleeping in a king size bed for over 20 years, but I know it was the right choice for us.

We bought ours at Mattress Firm from a local store, not their online store, and it's a sort of combination. It has pocketed springs (individually wrapped coils) with a foam pillow top.

I too can't say how I like it because it was delivered just this morning. We'll be ringing in the new year with what I hope is a good night's sleep in our new bed.

It came to a little over $900 for the mattress and low profile box spring.

I've had a mattress that is half sprung and half foam. It's firm for foam but very comfortable, you don't sink into it too much, just enough.  I slept on one recently and that was a mixture of rebound foam and the memory foam, that was comfy too. I don't like the completely memory foam ones they're too soggy.

We've had the Tempurpedic Rhapsody now since 2011 - it's been wonderful. We used to have a Europa Pillow top, and I would wake up stiff and in terrible pain every morning - that all stopped for me after a few weeks with the Rhapsody. I can really feel a difference when I sleep on hotel mattresses when we travel. The pain and stiffness come back quickly. We bought the cheap memory foam topper pad from Costco and put the Tempurpedic travel topper over it in our RV. It seems to be a good combination of firmness and softness to keep me comfortable when we travel with the RV. My parents bought the icloud by Serta - they've complained several times that it's very uncomfortable. That's the way of memory foam, however. It seems to really benefit some people, and other people can't stand it. It's a big investment for something that may not work for you. I was scared to buy mine after reading over reviews. I'm so glad I finally did, though.

We have the Sealy version of the temperpedic. DH loves it but I find it HOT! (I tend to run hot these days though;) )I will say, it is very comfortable but was considerably more than $1000.

HTH

My daughter has foam and I find it hot as well. In the summer I cannot sleep in it. She loves the mattress. I personally hate it. I find it stiff and uncomfortable to move around in. I wake up sore.

I have a Tuft and Needle Five (one of their five inch mattresses) but I've only had it six months so far. So far, it is my favorite mattress ever. But I am small and light-weight. I am comfortable on my back with this mattress, and can only sleep on my side for a little while while on it. *But I can't really sleep well on my side on any mattress.)

I think their website is accurate when they rate their mattress as a  7 (10 being firm as sleeping on a hard floor). The Tuft and Needle has a feeling of softness but you don't sink into the mattress and it is quite firm. To me, it is just comfortable. Not everyone in our home likes it, though.

One of our kids really likes sleeping on a futon mattress that is on a platform bed frame. Now I would rate that as a 10 for firmness and would not find it comfortable unless flat on my back all night. It's just very hard. 

We have another that happily sleeps on something thicker, and more like a Tempurpedic.  To me, it is too squishy and hard to get out of bed from that mattress. It needs to be replaced but the one who uses it most strongly dislikes the Tuft and Needle Five. Would be happier with something that is more like a 5 or 6 for firmness, probably. So I'm considering either a T&N ten inch but not sure. I don't think it will be squishy enough. I may revisit Bedinabox.

We have a memory foam top on our "firm" mattress.  It was a compromise between my dh, who likes a soft mattress, and myself, who prefers sleeping on a stone slab.  It is just way too soft for me.  Dh loves it.  My parents have an extra firm mattress in their guest room and that's the only time my back is happy.  But dh can't sleep on that at all.

Since our mattress is a King sized, at some point we may go the way of buying two twin mattresses [one soft and one firm] and putting them together.  We had some friends who did that and they're very happy with the results.

Since our mattress is a King sized, at some point we may go the way of buying two twin mattresses [one soft and one firm] and putting them together. We had some friends who did that and they're very happy with the results.

That is a great idea! We really need a new mattress but a California King is really expensive. I wonder how it works in terms of daily use? Like sliding around or a gap forming in the middle?

That is a great idea! We really need a new mattress but a California King is really expensive. I wonder how it works in terms of daily use? Like sliding around or a gap forming in the middle?

We have a regular King - my parents and brother both have CalKings which would not work with this.  Since a regular King is two twins put together, our friends just put together the two twins on top of a king frame [they probably have twin boxsprings, as we do] then put two heavy duty King sized mattress pads on top of those.  Then the bed is made up with the king sheets, as usual.  I know they tried it with one of those foam egg crate mattress toppers for a while [to really hide the feel of the seam], but he really needs a firm mattress and that was even too soft for him.

No, I no longer like my foam mattress.  We loved it for the first year. Now after just about three years, it hasn't held up and needs to be replaced. We won't be getting another foam mattress. 

This is us.  There are big concaves where we each sleep and TeA is more cumbersome on a foam mattress.   It was really comfortable at first, but now we just have permenent hills and valleys.  And it *is* still more comfortable than our old mattress when it was on its last days and springs were poking me. :)  But,  I don't know what we'll get next.

This is us.  There are big concaves where we each sleep and TeA is more cumbersome on a foam mattress.   It was really comfortable at first, but now we just have permenent hills and valleys.  And it *is* still more comfortable than our old mattress when it was on its last days and springs were poking me. :)  But,  I don't know what we'll get next.

The concaves in foam are due to fire retardants, from what I know, and how they react with the foam to weaken it. Now that different treatments are being used to make mattresses fire retardant, I don't know how the foam will react.

We have an inner spring after sleeping on foam for our first 9 years of marriage. What I really notice is that I feel it whenever my husband rolls over. Foam is really good at isolating sleepers from one another's moves.

The concaves in foam are due to fire retardants, from what I know, and how they react with the foam to weaken it. Now that different treatments are being used to make mattresses fire retardant, I don't know how the foam will react.

We have an inner spring after sleeping on foam for our first 9 years of marriage. What I really notice is that I feel it whenever my husband rolls over. Foam is really good at isolating sleepers from one another's moves.

yes, this is so true.  Normally my dh and I sleep in separate beds (topic for another thread), but when we do sleep together I am much less bothered by his tossing and turning like I was on a reg. mattress.  I hardly notice it.  Now, if only I could get him to stop snoring and fiddling with his iPod all.night.long maybe I'd have a chance at a good night's sleep. :closedeyes:

We have foam.  We have a SensaPedic.  They have since gone out of business, but we still like the bed.    Dh moves even in his sleep.  Even on those "you won't feel the other person move in the bed" beds, I would feel him!  So, we opted for a split King and I have to say, I LOVE it!  It has the adjustable head and feet like a hospital bed and I love putting the head up and watching TV from the bed.  I also love that if he moves too much, I can push my half another inch away or so and then I really don't feel him move.

Dawn

Wanted to update!

We received our foam mattress from bedinabox yesterday. We hauled it upstairs, cut off the plastic and it started to inflate- was completely ready in just a few hours. The foundation we bought was solid wood and really easy to put together, took us maybe 20 minutes.

Last night was our first night sleeping on it- and I am so impressed. I *love* it. It's firm, but not too hard. I like that it's completely flat and the sheets stick close to the fabric cover.

Overall, I'm extremely happy with the mattress and the company. We got the King size original pac bed, and paid an extra $100 for the 11 inch one, as opposed to 9 inch. It was $899. No tax. Free shipping.

We also ordered a king size foundation, which was $399.

Good luck with your mattress shopping :)

If ours was not a Cal King I would seriously consider the "two twin" options.

Is it weird when mattresses come rolled up and expand. We read this and are wondering if they can be firm after they have been rolled up?

They have California King as well.

Nope, not weird, it inflates like 90% almost instantly. Several hours later it was firm. And by this morning, it was completely flat and really firm. You would never guess that it was rolled up if you look at it now.

My ILs have a memory foam mattress and I dread sleeping on it. I'm not sure if that's what you're talking about? It's hot and it sucks you in and my back doesn't like it. 

We have a BeautyRest and really like it. You can't feel the other person moving in bed because of the way it's made. When we got it we compromised and bought a firm mattress (for me) with a pillow top (for DH). We will never buy a mattress with a pillow top again. It formed a ridge down the middle within weeks of buying it, and I hear everybody who has one say the same thing. (Too bad I didn't hear this ahead of time!). In the future, I will buy the plain mattress and a top that's removable/replaceable, maybe down?

We have the very base model Tempurpedic. We got it almost a year ago to replace our old sleep number knock off. I absolutely love it. I tend to be cold at night and it retains heat way more than our old mattress, and the model we got is pretty firm and seems to be holding up well so far. Dh likes it most of the time, but in the summer it gets too hot for him. He sleeps hot anyway though.

I loved my beauty rest.

I won't buy a bed if they won't come take my old one away. So no Costco or bed in a box for me. Probably any $ I save would be wasted paying someone to cart the old one away.

My husband carried ours down 3 flights of stairs, tied it on the car, and dropped it off at the dump. And it was an 18 inch beast of a mattress. Wasn't a big deal.

I lasted ten minutes on a memory foam mattress.  I found it very difficult to turn over on (though I have mobility issues so this is probably not an issue for most people).  I also found it hot.  And again - an issue that most people won't have but I did - I have muscles that are very sore if you touch them.  Going to a mattress that conforms to your entire body so that your entire body has something touching it was sheer torture for me.  I did not expect that at all but that was probably the main reason I only lasted ten minutes before I went and slept on the floor for the rest of the night.  I've since given it to my dd and she likes it.  

Our foam top spring mattress I mentioned upthread is good so far. I have slept well since NYE which was our first night sleeping in it. Dh said he woke up the other night and the sheets on his side were wet. I am I'm kind of worried. We live in Florida and this is winter. What will summer be like? We do have central a/c like most homes here,  but will we have to turn it way down in order for him to stay cool enough? The waterproof mattress cover we got is moisture wicking, so I wonder if that's the problem. Maybe a cover for the cover will help? 

My knees and hips have not been aching when I wake up. I have back problems that will not be cured by a good mattress, but I attributed my other aches to general aging. Not so, apparently. Dh said this morning that he too has not been waking up sore. 

It's a little tricky getting used to a smaller bed. We've slept on queen in hotels when we travel and have been fine, so we thought this would be fine. I think it will just take some getting used to. We have never, as a couple, owned anything smaller than a king size bed. Last night we were both trying to read in bed, and were banging elbows. :)