Menu

Does anyone homeschool high school without the help of outside or online classes?

In a couple of years, I will have a high schooler.  While I can hope that our financial situation will change by them, if it doesn't, I won't have be able to afford to sign her up for any classes.  Does anyone homeschool high school without the use of outside classes? I'm sure people used to, but it seems like more and more are signing up for online classes at least. 

If I were going to do this, I would invest a fair amount of time in finding resources like Teaching Company/Great Courses lecture series or other free material that supported what I was trying to do.

We have done home brewed history, English and government.  I've done most of our science at home.  Right now my kids are working through a European History curriculum that I wrote to fit the Advanced Placement requirements.  Last year I did AP American Government and Comparative Government.  The year before that, dh supervised Modern History that covered the causes of the Civil War through the Cold War over 18 months.  It was great.

Oh, and I have also done math at home, using either AoPS or Dolciani until my oldest took pre-calculus at a community college as a junior.

The older kids have gotten great SAT scores and done well on their AP exams, so I guess I didn't break them.

The one subject I outsourced consistently was foreign language.  I could have taught German, but didn't.  And I could not have done justice to Latin the way that Lukeion has done.  

We did. well almost.  In spring semester of 12th grade, oldest did 2 non credit online coursera courses.   Those were free.  We really had finished with everything and she was interested in trying to stay on track with those classes and get some time to learn some calc before college.

We even taught drivers ed to her instead of an outside class.

everything else?  We used what MFW offered.

We did, mostly because of finances as well. Actually, I think this is a good time to do high school on a tight budget. So many open courses are available, and many of these companies that started offering college level courses are now adding high school level. Ds used parts of Coursera courses

Working on a budget may mean more time from you, but it can be done well. Quality textbooks can be had for almost nothing, older editions can work fine. If you ask here, you can get an idea of what publishers and authors make it easier to find teacher material. 

There are actually so many options, it's hard to choose in some subjects. One quality resource per subject is really all you need. 

Thank you.  I should have asked in my original post, but can anyone recommend some resources on helping me figure out how to design a course, what counts as a credit, how to document it, etc? 

The sticky at the top of this forum is a wealth of information. Take it in measured doses, it can seem overwhelming to start. 

In a couple of years, I will have a high schooler.  While I can hope that our financial situation will change by them, if it doesn't, I won't have be able to afford to sign her up for any classes.  Does anyone homeschool high school without the use of outside classes? I'm sure people used to, but it seems like more and more are signing up for online classes at least. 

My best friend taught all three of her sons at home without any sort of co-op or outside or on-line classes. Yup, it can be done.

I absolutely think you can homeschool high school without outside classes. We intended to do it, but the last couple of years we ended up outsourcing a little. It wasn't necessary. It was a luxury that we could afford that allowed us to follow some interest that were beyond what we could do. However, I think we could have completed a solid college prep education strictly from home. 

The truth is, I have seen plenty of posts expressing regret over doing too many outside classes. I can't remember reading any posts saying they regret not outsourcing more. 

You certainly can do it all at home if you prefer. There has been an explosion of homeschool materials for the high school level in the last 10 years, so you have more options than ever to choose from to do it all completely at home if you wish. However, if you are looking for some outside support or need to outsource, there are also lots of options -- many are free.

Just to give you a feel for options for high school when on a limited budget:

- curricula with DVD lessons / video support supplements

(Chalkdust, Teaching Textbook, Thinkwell

- free books / textbooks

(Hippo Campus, Everything Maths and Science, CK-12 FlexbooksGutenberg Project)

- check out your library for Teaching Company: Great Courses

- free online video tutorial supports

(Khan Academy, Bright StormFrog Guts, Virt Lab, Online Math Learning)

- Virtual Homeschool Group

(free homeschool online co-op)

- free open source college intro classes

(UC College Prep; MIT Open Courseware for High School; Open Educational Database; I-Tunes U)

- free MOOC (mass open online classes)

(Coursera)

- free podcasts, live streaming classes, etc.

(Creative Live)

Thank you.  I should have asked in my original post, but can anyone recommend some resources on helping me figure out how to design a course, what counts as a credit, how to document it, etc? 

Yes, check out the pinned thread at the top of the high school board: "Transcripts, Credits, GPA/Grading… links to past threads here!" -- esp. under the various "Transcripts" subheadings. But a quick rough guide of what counts as a credit:

1. Successful completion of a standard high school textbook/program, of textbook (frequently regardless of how many hours it takes). This method is the most common for determining credit for math, science, and other textbook-based courses.

2. Completion of a pre-determined amount of credit hours: 120-180 hours (120 is the minimum, based on the Carnegie Credit, 180 is the maximum, based on traditional public school credits of 1 hour/day x 180 school days). This method is often used to help contain a DIY Literature or History course that would otherwise grow to be too big. ;)

3. Completion of your pre-determined requirements -- combination of reading, videos / online tutorials / research, papers, projects, labs, hours of work, or whatever covers the material you deem to be sufficient to count as a credit. This method is often used for free-wheeling, unique Electives, or Fine Arts courses.

For ideas on how to go about making your own course, two older resources that might be helpful are Vicki Bentley's High School 101: Blueprint for Success ($6 download from Lulu), or Mary Schofield's The High School Handbook.

For documenting it, you can use software to track materials and hours (EduTracker, Homeschool Tracker), or check off boxes on a form you create for yourself, or fill in printable forms such as those at the Donna Young website, or use Barb Sheldon's Home Designed Form+U+La.

I think if you plan early, you can do a whole lot for a very little. Programs like audible allow you to download Great Courses audio for less than twenty dollars. If you look through the catalog, try ones you think you might like with InterLibrary Loan to see if the speaker is a good fit, then purchase ones you know you will use, then it can be wonderful.

When I say ones you know you will use, I mean courses like The Odyssey, or Western Civ, or US History. We got one for Ancients because I know we are going to study it. This does not mean later you won't use some more specific courses, but it helps cut costs for really nice resources.

We are not in high school yet. However, we live on one teacher's salary for us to homeschool. I hear you about finances. I save for a year to get my kid one year of outsourced Latin classes.

edX also has a nice list of courses including AP and AP prep stuff.  

So how to teach without outside classes?  Figure out early what you can't or don't feel comfortable teaching, then start looking early for a resource that will fill that need.  That way you can make regular searches until you find it at a price you can afford.  Make sure you know all the free/cheap options as well.  For example Harari College offers free classes online.  They're a bit weird in how they are set up (you'll see if you do a search on the H.S. board) but so far no one is complaining (that I know of).  

Talk to the people at your local library they often have a once a week homework help session, great for those of us who need help with Algebra.  And as PP's mentioned the library often had video courses from The Teaching Company (I've got 2 checked out right now) and many other hard to find documentaries and such.  Also depending on your library or the one in the nearest city,

they often offer classes for foreign language, book clubs, writers workshops, etc....

You could get involved in 4-H some places they offer actual class type stuff at meetings.  The 4-H we attended in Charlotte had a Robotics team and a once a month Junk Drawer Science club.  Also there's a program called Jr. Leaders for teens that is a lot about socializing if that's a concern.

1) For resources on planning your own classes:

google "Easy Peasy High School"

2) Many states have some free charter based online options you can look into

3) Local home school co-ops

4) Many free or inexpensive options available now or in the future for online HS - see other posts

5)  www.ucscout.org   seems to have self paced online high school and AP courses without instructor for $19

In any case work with your student on a good fit - it is their life - and high school is that first transition period

My oldest didn't take outside classes until her senior year.  She took Russian I & II at college and that was it. ;)  So, yes, it exists and they still do well.  Our state university offered her a full ride - between academic (merit) scholarships & a small grant.  It wouldn't have covered her R & B completely if she had lived on campus, but yes, she did just fine without online classes.

Have you read The Well Trained Mind?  SWB's chapters on the high school years outlines how to do high school quite thoroughly and it was a resource I have regularly referred back to throughout the years.

The main things I outsourced didn't cost me much money. I traded math tutoring for dd's Spanish classes. The dual enrollment classes she is taking are paid for by the state, except for the books. She's used a little BJU online, but I bought those in their $99 sales.

The only thing I definitely didn't want to teach in high school was the foreign language. I would have paid a lot for it and found the money somewhere.  I wish I could have done a few more just so she had experience with more kinds of teachers before going off to college next year.

If you can't afford it and want outside class experience, maybe you should consider finding other families to join with and do a co-op.

I outsourced High School English classes (English is not my native tongue) for my oldest. The co-op used IEW products. As I helped my oldest with her English I realized that I am good enough to follow IEW materials--it is very structured and as a Science person that works for me. My dh is an English speaker so he can edit grammar and spelling.  So for my next two I am planning to teach English at home.  

My biggest problem has been to find people who could write teacher LOR for my oldest. Many colleges do not want Mom or Dad writing those. State schools did not ask for any and my oldest got a full ride scholarship for being a National Hispanic Scholar. Now, the small Liberal Art schools she applied to did require LOR for selective scholarships. Make sure someone "knows" your child: Pastor, youth pastor, extracurricular teachers-Piano, art, volunteering position or what ever.

Homeschooling at home can be done.

You certainly can do it all at home if you prefer. There has been an explosion of homeschool materials for the high school level in the last 10 years, so you have more options than ever to choose from to do it all completely at home if you wish. However, if you are looking for some outside support or need to outsource, there are also lots of options -- many are free.

Just to give you a feel for options for high school when on a limited budget:

- curricula with DVD lessons / video support supplements

(Chalkdust, Teaching Textbook, Thinkwell

- free books / textbooks

(Hippo Campus, Everything Maths and Science, CK-12 FlexbooksGutenberg Project)

- check out your library for Teaching Company: Great Courses

- free online video tutorial supports

(Khan Academy, Bright StormFrog Guts, Virt Lab, Online Math Learning)

- Virtual Homeschool Group

(free homeschool online co-op)

- free open source college intro classes

(UC College Prep; National Repository of Online Courses; I-Tunes U)

- free MOOC (mass open online classes)

(Coursera)

- free podcasts, live streaming classes, etc.

(Creative Live)

Yes, check out the pinned thread at the top of the high school board: "Transcripts, Credits, GPA/Grading… links to past threads here!" -- esp. under the various "Transcripts" subheadings. But a quick rough guide of what counts as a credit:

1. Successful completion of a standard high school textbook/program, of textbook (frequently regardless of how many hours it takes). This method is the most common for determining credit for math, science, and other textbook-based courses.

2. Completion of a pre-determined amount of credit hours: 120-180 hours (120 is the minimum, based on the Carnegie Credit, 180 is the maximum, based on traditional public school credits of 1 hour/day x 180 school days). This method is often used to help contain a DIY Literature or History course that would otherwise grow to be too big. ;)

3. Completion of your pre-determined requirements -- combination of reading, videos / online tutorials / research, papers, projects, labs, hours of work, or whatever covers the material you deem to be sufficient to count as a credit. This method is often used for free-wheeling, unique Electives, or Fine Arts courses.

For ideas on how to go about making your own course, two older resources that might be helpful are Vicki Bentley's High School 101: Blueprint for Success ($6 download from Lulu), or Mary Schofield's The High School Handbook.

For documenting it, you can use software to track materials and hours (EduTracker, Homeschool Tracker), or check off boxes on a form you create for yourself, or fill in printable forms such as those at the Donna Young website, or use Barb Sheldon's Home Designed Form+U+La.

FYI some of your links are changed or are dead

This reminded me of an old thread. I'm linking it in case you want to read through.

Does anyone actually school their children? It is four years old, so many of the posters who were in the midst of things would probably be done now.

(Some have updated sigs so you can see how they did or are doing things with youngers.)

And a more recent one asking if anyone still *HOME*schools their high schoolers. (2013) - with a variety of opinions.

OP, I am homeschooling a Grade 11 student with no outsourcing, and I will do the same for my upcoming high schooler in the coming four years.  I'd say my biggest source of "yes, you can do this" is the WTM book.  It told me what I needed to know in order to choose materials wisely and frugally (no outsourcing here due to finances, too).  My second biggest source of encouragement has been this board.  When you post posts like yours, the Moms who've done that or who have ideas on how to do that will pop up to answer.  Just keep on asking.  :D

The poster in post #26 is someone who has helped me tremendously over the years in the "educating well and frugally" department.  There are many other posters who've helped me in this, too.  Let me know if you'd like more names (it'll take me a bit to remember, and I hate to leave people out).  I've found, too, that just sending a pm to specific people has helped me, too.

About paintmisha's quote below - YES!  I've done this specifically, and it is starting to yield positive things for my son.  A few years ago I took my kids to meet a local politician and talk with him about a homeschooling issue that had arisen here.  The guy was so impressed with my kids' education they were receiving that he told me later that he'd be more than happy to write character references for them if they ever needed references - this was after ONE meeting that I'd been rather nervous about!  Another time, I started getting to know a new homeschooling Mom (who is one of my dear friends now), and we discovered her husband is a math prof at a local university.  My son loves math, so I encouraged him to get to know this guy, and he did.  This guy ended up writing a reference letter for an application my son did last year, and letting my son job-shadow him and go to a class with him one day.  My son also volunteers to run the sound system at a local church within walking distance, and now he has this reputation there for being a sound system guru, lol.  Now he gets paid to run the system for funerals; and for some volunteer work he did around the holidays, he received a surprise cash gift from the choir!  I guess my point is, I took Jane in NC's (one of my WTM board mentors here) mantra to heart:  explore locally.  Find opportunities locally, and get your kids involved locally.  It is turning out to be such a blessing to us all.  (I could tell you stories about my daughter, too - she will have similar opportunities for high school now that we've started looking around locally and seeing what IS instead of what we wish was.)

So, we have basic academic things in place at home, MANY thanks to the WTM book and this forum:  math, composition, literature, science, history, foreign language, and a couple of other things such as recordkeeping.  But the "extracurriculars" are falling into place as we get out and find opportunities for free.

Make sure someone "knows" your child: Pastor, youth pastor, extracurricular teachers-Piano, art, volunteering position or what ever.

My high school children won't be taking any online or co-op classes for any academic subjects this year. 

I explored a couple of local co-ops and even today just looked again at a schedule of spring classes again.  We're friends with families involved in them, and part of me wants to do them just so my kids will see their friends.  But the materials and classes just don't seem like a good fit for my kids.  The math program I specifically didn't like. Instead of co-ops or online classes, we have high school materials that really excite us. 

My high school children won't be taking any online or co-op classes for any academic subjects this year.

I explored a couple of local co-ops and even today just looked again at a schedule of spring classes again. We're friends with families involved in them, and part of me wants to do them just so my kids will see their friends. But the materials and classes just don't seem like a good fit for my kids. The math program I specifically didn't like. Instead of co-ops or online classes, we have high school materials that really excite us.

I've recently said no to more coop classes than I've said yes too. My kids did often enjoy them, but the disruption and driving weren't worth it if the classes were things we'd already done or were mismatches for the level of difficulty they needed.

I guess my point is, I took Jane in NC's (one of my WTM board mentors here) mantra to heart:  explore locally.  Find opportunities locally, and get your kids involved locally. 

Colleen, your whole post was great, but this part specifically struck me.  Rather than focusing on the things my small town *doesn't* have, e.g., co-op, homeschool sports and extracurriculars, etc., I should do some digging and see what is available.  Thank you.

My biggest problem has been to find people who could write teacher LOR for my oldest. Many colleges do not want Mom or Dad writing those. State schools did not ask for any and my oldest got a full ride scholarship for being a National Hispanic Scholar. Now, the small Liberal Art schools she applied to did require LOR for selective scholarships. Make sure someone "knows" your child: Pastor, youth pastor, extracurricular teachers-Piano, art, volunteering position or what ever.

Thank you for pointing this out.  I'm not sure I would have thought of this aspect. 

I homeschooled my oldest two using no outside classes, but we did use purchased audio and video curriculum - Chalkdust for math, Intro/Intermediate Logic from Canon Press, and a couple of Teaching Company courses. The rest was WTM history/lit, homemade AP classes using not-quite-latest edition texts (mostly 5's earned on the exams), and lots of self-study rabbit trails and activities.

It worked! Both children were accepted into college and honors programs, with scholarships, one of which was a full ride. Paintmisha is right - getting LORs is challenging when you don't have outside classes, so that is definitely something to keep in mind. All of our two oldest's LOR came from activities: chess club, wildlife center volunteering, church, helping with spelling bees. The other challenge was finding a testing sites for APs (sigh). Going from homeschool to residential college several hours away from home was a big adjustment for them, but they managed. Both have now graduated with honors from undergrad and are doing very well.

I'm now homeschooling the younger children using the same basic plan with a few tweaks. We've picked up speech and debate, which was the main thing we felt was lacking with our two oldest. Both of our oldest two freaked out when they had to take a speech class in undergrad, and when they had to do their first few presentations. We wanted to send our youngers to college with speech skills. S&D is expensive and time consuming, but we feel it's worth it.

One of our youngers took a very inexpensive co-op class for middle school bio - they used the Apologia bio book. It was terrible and reminded me of why we have avoided co-ops. Many of the students were plainly not interested in the subject, and refuse to participate or do the work. The class was just a time filler for them. Ugh. I know there are a lot out there that are great, but it was just not a good fit.

I continue to add AP prep to our repertoire, and have added a couple since our oldest have graduated. One of my youngers has taken a free online course from Stanford, and he plans to take another free course this spring from a different uni. There is a lot out there, so I recommend taking advantage of it.

High school without outside classes can be done, but not many do it. Sometimes it is a bit lonely to travel this path. It really, really helps to have some good activities that are interest driven.

Colleen, your whole post was great, but this part specifically struck me.  Rather than focusing on the things my small town *doesn't* have, e.g., co-op, homeschool sports and extracurriculars, etc., I should do some digging and see what is available.  Thank you.

Exactly.  I used to get so stressed about all the things we either didn't have available or couldn't do for lack of finances - things like "lessons" of all sorts, sports activities, etc.  I had to change my focus and open my eyes, or go crazy with worry.

My son has been wanting to get some more paying jobs around here.  He doesn't have a driver's license (the whole driver ed/insurance thing is beyond our financial reach right now) and we don't have bus access close by (though we might get it in the next year or two - I HOPE!!!!) and we have one vehicle.  He wants to save up for things such as driver ed/insurance/vehicle, and he has had a few jobs people have given him (lawn-mowing, sound system, etc.) periodically.  Well, the other day we both went around our semi-rural area, in places that are within walking distance for him.  We searched out all the stores and businesses, and came up with almost a page and a half of names!!!  I had no clue there were so many small businesses within reach of our house (it's an area that is growing with young families and home-grown businesses).  So now we are working through Bolles's Parachute guide for teens, with the intent of developing a resume for my son (and for him to become familiar with his skills and how to communicate those to other people) to approach some of these businesses to see if they have any work he could do for pay or for gaining skills and experience.

I'll be interested to hear how things go for you!