Menu

Trouble with Credit for Amazon No-Rush Shipping

Serenade

For those who are using the no-rush option to ship their packages, have you had any trouble using your earned credit?  It all worked out fine for me at first, and my credits applied with no problem.  Then a few weeks ago the credits stopped working, even though I received messages that I had earned them.  I called up, and Amazon gave me credit, because they could tell I had indeed earned them and for some reason they wouldn't apply automatically.   Well, now I've earned a bunch of credits again and the same thing is happening.  I will contact Amazon and get credit, but I'm wondering if anyone else is having this problem, too. 

Sorry you're having trouble, too.

I'm glad I'm done with most of my holiday shopping, but I want the $9 in credits I have earned.  That will pay a good chunk of one more book I want for my younger son.

Yeah I don't blame you.  Had I known it would be late anyway I would have gone for the credits too.  Maybe I should ask for some since I had to wait.

I did all my xmas shopping on Thanksgiving day.  I know better not to wait until the last minute.  So I'm not in a hurry, but again why pay extra for this if I'm not getting it?!

I think the nature of the credits may have changed. The ones I got most recently don't work for regular books, just e-books.

Oh, wow, I didn't see anything about that. Did they make an announcement? Anyhow, totally not worth it for me for ebook credits. That's a bummer. Although I'll still e-mail them and see if I can get credit for what I've already earned.

I had something delivered late, and they credited my account for the purchase price after I complained.

Might be worth a try, Sparkly.

Ugh, I think you figured it out, Pronghorn. I just "pretended" to buy a book, and I read the credit notice. I bet they figured people would go right on clicking that without re-reading the notice. Boy, do I feel stupid. I can't believe they changed it like that. I am so not interested in electronic book credits. Not worth it to me at all. I won't be using that feature anymore. I feel like I've been taken, LOL.

Ugh, I think you figured it out, Pronghorn. I just "pretended" to buy a book, and I read the credit notice. I bet they figured people would go right on clicking that without re-reading the notice. Boy, do I feel stupid. I can't believe they changed it like that. I am so not interested in electronic book credits. Not worth it to me at all. I won't be using that feature anymore. I feel like I've been taken, LOL.

This!

I've been doing the no-rush for a while and it's always been digital goods.  It's extremely useful for me.  I wouldn't bother if it *wasn't* for digital stuff.  Our Amazon credit card (which we only use on Amazon... yeah... I think I might have a problem) gives points only good for physical goods.  That's extremely annoying to me.  We use all our points, but they don't expire in a couple or three months like the no-rush credits do.  We can easily go that long with only buying digital stuff.

Strangely, I've been getting orders in about a day longer with no rush than with regular prime shipping.  Ordered something late Tuesday, got it Sunday (Thanksgiving was in there so doesn't count as a day), ordered something Wednesday afternoon, got it on Saturday.  I ordered a whole bunch of stuff Friday and Saturday and it'll all be here on Wednesday.  All of those were no-rush shipping.

Most of the time, the credits are for digital only. Every once in a while, like the past month or two, they have included regular books. Now it's back to the normal of digital only, from what I've seen. My credits have been applying without any problems.

Sorry you're having trouble, too.

I'm glad I'm done with most of my holiday shopping, but I want the $9 in credits I have earned.  That will pay a good chunk of one more book I want for my younger son.

After Nov 9, you earned credits for EBOOKS, not paper books. Could that be the problem?

(I bought a Kindle book for DS last night with my credits. No problem)

I've never known the credits to be for anything OTHER than digital stuff--movies, games, etc.  We've always used them to rent movies.  I'm feeling all jealous now, like my BFF Amazon has been cheating on me with you guys who could use the credits for regular stuff.  Hmpfff.

I've been doing the no-rush for a while and it's always been digital goods.  It's extremely useful for me.  I wouldn't bother if it *wasn't* for digital stuff.  Our Amazon credit card (which we only use on Amazon... yeah... I think I might have a problem) gives points only good for physical goods.  That's extremely annoying to me.  We use all our points, but they don't expire in a couple or three months like the no-rush credits do.  We can easily go that long with only buying digital stuff.

Strangely, I've been getting orders in about a day longer with no rush than with regular prime shipping.  Ordered something late Tuesday, got it Sunday (Thanksgiving was in there so doesn't count as a day), ordered something Wednesday afternoon, got it on Saturday.  I ordered a whole bunch of stuff Friday and Saturday and it'll all be here on Wednesday.  All of those were no-rush shipping.

For years I've gotten stuff insanely quickly. So much so that I almost did not buy Prime because gee how much faster could it get.  But lately it has been ridiculously slow.

Thank you. I just checked and my credits are divided between videos and mp3 music. I just chatted with Amazon and they said Amazon just randomly picks which media type to put it in, and that you cannot switch and use it in another type. I find this policy highly misleading as I don't use it for some of those media types. Is that what others are finding as well?

Thank you. I just checked and my credits are divided between videos and mp3 music. I just chatted with Amazon and they said Amazon just randomly picks which media type to put it in, and that you cannot switch and use it in another type. I find this policy highly misleading as I don't use it for some of those media types. Is that what others are finding as well?

WHAT?! I just found the same thing in my account! I placed two "no rush" orders and both $1 credits are in the MP3 music account. I don't buy MP3 music! Yes, very, VERY misleading. I'm not happy, and Amazon is about to get an email from me. 

The person who told you this is wrong.  This is what the email says: "You can use this $1 credit towards eligible Kindle Books, MP3 downloads, or the rental or purchase of eligible movies or TV shows from Amazon Instant Video"

I checked and had $3 on my account under mp3. But it credited on 2 Kindle purchases I made the other night anyways.  (The first was $2.99 and the last penny credited on the second)

Interesting! I chatted with a regular customer support person and then the supervisor about this policy and they both said the same thing about it being chosen at random (the supervisor said she would be irritated too, but that is how they are doing it. She said she would forward my complaint to the appropriate department)

My credits are divided up between 2 media types...

I hope you are right!

Let me know what they say. Maybe if enough people complain, they will realize their policy isn't written the way they are carrying it out! I have no use for the video credits they gave me and wouldn't have wasted my prime shipping on that!

I'll report back when I have an answer.

The person who told you this is wrong.  This is what the email says: "You can use this $1 credit towards eligible Kindle Books, MP3 downloads, or the rental or purchase of eligible movies or TV shows from Amazon Instant Video"

I checked and had $3 on my account under mp3. But it credited on 2 Kindle purchases I made the other night anyways.  (The first was $2.99 and the last penny credited on the second)

I just purchased a Kindle book and it came up under my orders as $4.99 (the full price). I have $2 in "no rush shipping" credit and it does not appear to have been debited from the price of the book. 

I had $4 in no-rush credits.  On that link to check my balance they had it listed as $0 for Kindle, $4 for mp3, and $4 for videos.  I needed to buy an ebook for my son some time before Christmas anyway so I bought it a little bit ago.  It used the $4 no-rush credit for the ebook and now all my credit balances are $0.  Looks like they are just listing it in a ridiculously confusing way (like it looked like I had $8 split between mp3 and videos, but I knew for a fact I had $4 in credit currently).

I had $4 in no-rush credits.  On that link to check my balance they had it listed as $0 for Kindle, $4 for mp3, and $4 for videos.  I needed to buy an ebook for my son some time before Christmas anyway so I bought it a little bit ago.  It used the $4 no-rush credit for the ebook and now all my credit balances are $0.  Looks like they are just listing it in a ridiculously confusing way (like it looked like I had $8 split between mp3 and videos, but I knew for a fact I had $4 in credit currently).

I just bought my Kindle book again (returned it before), and it didn't apply the $2 again. Here's what I've been told:

Me:Can you please tell me where I can see this balance, and why it didn't apply when I purchased a kindle book earlier?
is there a link or an option somewhere in my account?
Amazon:You would see it in your payment methods or at checkout when trying to make a purchase.
How much did the kindle book cost?
Me:The Kindle book was $4.99. When I purchase a Kindle book, there is no payment options screen, only a "Buy with 1-Click" button.
Amazon:not all kindle books can be purchased using promotional credit and unfortunately you won't know which book can be bought with it until the checkout process.
Me:So it's hit or miss as to whether or not I get to use my promotional credits? And I won't know if I'm spending money until I've spent money? That's a terrible policy.
Amazon:I completely agree with you.

This person has also given me different answers to every question I've asked, none of which seem to be correct. I'm so disappointed in Amazon right now. 

ETA: They have no answers whatsoever. They gave me a $5 promotional credit to cover the cost of the Kindle book. Grrr.

Agree with all the disappointment stated by previous posters.

I just thought I'd mention one thing that probably most people know but maybe some don't.  Typically, for me anyway, when I buy something and specify that I want the credit, the credit doesn't actually show up until the item is shipped, which can be right away, but not always.

I don't see any reason (except deliberately not doing it) why an Internet company like Amazon can't give us a prominent link to view our credit balances, and also a spreadsheet-like page that shows when they expire.  THEY have to the info stored in their databases.

You are receiving this credit because you selected No-Rush Shipping on your recent Prime order. You can use this $1 credit towards eligible Kindle Books, MP3 downloads, or the rental or purchase of eligible movies or TV shows from Amazon Instant Video. To redeem your $1 credit, log on to Amazon.com or open the relevant app on your smart phone, tablet, e-reader, TV or streaming device. Click “Buy†or “Rent†on an eligible item and we’ll automatically apply the credit at checkout.

The promotional credit must be used by March 31, 2015.

This is the email I just got. Not everything is "eligible," so that might be the problem people are having. I always use mine for movies, and have never had a problem.

Agree with all the disappointment stated by previous posters.

I just thought I'd mention one thing that probably most people know but maybe some don't.  Typically, for me anyway, when I buy something and specify that I want the credit, the credit doesn't actually show up until the item is shipped, which can be right away, but not always.

I don't see any reason (except deliberately not doing it) why an Internet company like Amazon can't give us a prominent link to view our credit balances, and also a spreadsheet-like page that shows when they expire.  THEY have to the info stored in their databases.

OK, so the bolded explains part of what happened today. While I was chatting with CS (which took forever), suddenly the two items I'd ordered days ago via No-Rush shipped (interesting timing--I didn't realize those two hadn't shipped yet). About an hour later, in my email were two notices about the $1 credit being applied to my account. So I have no idea where those other $2 came from, but obviously they were some kind of separate promotional amounts. Now my balances via the link above say the following:

Your Balances

AMAZON GIFT CARD
xxxx
AMAZON

MP3

$9.00
AMAZON INSTANT VIDEO
$7.00
KINDLE

EDITIONS

$5.00
SOFTWARE/

VIDEO GAMES$5.00

I guess the MP3 credit is the original $2, plus the new $2, plus the $5 promo credit they gave me; the instant video credit is the new (No-Rush) $2, plus the $5 promo credit they gave me; and the Kindle and Software/VG credits are JUST the $5 promo credit they gave me?

I still don't understand how they're doing all this, but at least I have part of an answer. If and when I find another Kindle book I want, I'll have to see what comes out of my account balances above  :huh:

This is the email I just got. Not everything is "eligible," so that might be the problem people are having. I always use mine for movies, and have never had a problem.

This bothers me a lot. I want to know how much I'm paying BEFORE I pay it, not find out afterward whether my promotion applied or not. I just think they're running this whole surprisingly poorly for Amazon. I've come to expect much more from them over the years. This all feels bush league to me. 

OK, so the bolded explains part of what happened today. While I was chatting with CS (which took forever), suddenly the two items I'd ordered days ago via No-Rush shipped (interesting timing--I didn't realize those two hadn't shipped yet). About an hour later, in my email were two notices about the $1 credit being applied to my account. So I have no idea where those other $2 came from, but obviously they were some kind of separate promotional amounts. Now my balances via the link above say the following:

Your Balances

AMAZON GIFT CARD

xxxx

AMAZON

MP3

$9.00

AMAZON INSTANT VIDEO

$7.00

KINDLE

EDITIONS

$5.00

SOFTWARE/

VIDEO GAMES$5.00

I guess the MP3 credit is the original $2, plus the new $2, plus the $5 promo credit they gave me; the instant video credit is the new (No-Rush) $2, plus the $5 promo credit they gave me; and the Kindle and Software/VG credits are JUST the $5 promo credit they gave me?

I still don't understand how they're doing all this, but at least I have part of an answer. If and when I find another Kindle book I want, I'll have to see what comes out of my account balances above :huh:

I had the opposite thing happen to me! I counted my credits and went back to look at the orders I used the no Rush shipping on (and had shipped) and there was one credit missing. I chatted again with amazon about the missing credit, and when she mentioned she was expediting the issue while on chat, the order suddenly was back to "preparing for shipment". How crazy is that! She assured me that couldn't happen, and then when I mentioned that this policy was giving a lot of people difficulty, I was promptly disconnected from chat.

I thought it was a fluke so I chatted again, and at exactly the same part of the conversation with the new person, I was disconnected again!

Not sure what to think of all this!

That's really strange!

I just bought my Kindle book again (returned it before), and it didn't apply the $2 again. Here's what I've been told:

Me:Can you please tell me where I can see this balance, and why it didn't apply when I purchased a kindle book earlier?
is there a link or an option somewhere in my account?
Amazon:You would see it in your payment methods or at checkout when trying to make a purchase.
How much did the kindle book cost?
Me:The Kindle book was $4.99. When I purchase a Kindle book, there is no payment options screen, only a "Buy with 1-Click" button.
Amazon:not all kindle books can be purchased using promotional credit and unfortunately you won't know which book can be bought with it until the checkout process.
Me:So it's hit or miss as to whether or not I get to use my promotional credits? And I won't know if I'm spending money until I've spent money? That's a terrible policy.
Amazon:I completely agree with you.

This person has also given me different answers to every question I've asked, none of which seem to be correct. I'm so disappointed in Amazon right now. 

ETA: They have no answers whatsoever. They gave me a $5 promotional credit to cover the cost of the Kindle book. Grrr.

It sounds to me like Amazon is having second thoughts about having made this offer, and basically, "They don't want to talk about it."

It's downright sneaky that they apply the electronic credits selectively. I just looked at mine per the link posted above, and I have $9 in movies which I will never use. The music credits, at least, have some value for me. I have no credits for e-books. I think Amazon is purposefully being deceptive about this. And I'm still ticked off that they changed from credits being available for hard purchases to only electronic purchases, with no prominent notification about the change. It was the credit towards hard books that motivated me to use the no-rush option. I never would have wasted my prime shipping otherwise.

I'm glad at least I did get $5 in credit when I called and complained initially (before posting this thread and figuring out the issue.) Sounds like they wouldn't do that anymore, though. I just wonder why the customer service guy I talked to at the time didn't bother to tell me my credits were now only good for e-items.

This bothers me a lot. I want to know how much I'm paying BEFORE I pay it, not find out afterward whether my promotion applied or not. I just think they're running this whole surprisingly poorly for Amazon. I've come to expect much more from them over the years. This all feels bush league to me.

I had a long discussion with Amazon about this a couple years back. I was so frustrated about being forced to use the 1-click option for Kindle books, not knowing how much tax was going to be added or if tax was going to be added at all. At the time, I felt the customer service guy I was talking with was sincere about trying to fix the problem, but apparently not. Amazon must do it this way on purpose.

I wonder if anyone here who uses the Nook could tell us if B&N does the same thing?

Yes, this past weekend I chatted with them to find out where I could see my credits. They assured me this was not possible on my end. Something fishy is going on with this. Think I'll just stick to my prime 2 day shipping.

Emphatically agreeing with the bolded. So disappointed in Amazon.

Wish I could trade my movies for your MP3s...

It's entirely possible that what Butter said above,back is the case--that it LOOKS like you only have MP3 credit but that really, it will apply when you buy a Kindle book. Mine didn't, but it turned out to be because I hadn't actually earned it yet (because my items hadn't shipped). If I could think of another kindle book I wanted, I'd order it now and see what happens, but I can't think of anything off the top of my head. If I do, I'll order it and report back!