Menu

Help! I gave my son too much tylenol

bodiesmom

I'm sure it will be fine, but you can always call poison control and ask. Once one of ours, at two years old, broke into the "child-proof" medicine box and opened the "child-proof" Tylenol and drank the entire bottle. Yes, poison control was already on our speed dial. They said she would be fine but if she started vomiting or fell asleep and we couldn't wake her to have her seen. 

Tylenol overdose is a serious thing, but I wouldn't worry about that ONE and MINOR overdose.

Do be careful with the stuff, though. I've heard of children going into liver failure. When a friend's children overdosed, I remember the extreme concern of the doctor treating them. It was scary. I've forever been really careful with the stuff, since then.

Both my dd11 and ds8 are coming down sick quick. My DH poured some tylenol meant for dd but I mistakenly gave it to my ds. It turned out to be 1/2 teaspoon over what is recommended for his age group. Will it be okay, or do I need to go in?

How large was the total dose he received?  How much does he weigh?

How large was the total dose he received? How much does he weigh?

He weighs 59, which now that I looked closer puts him 1 pound away from the 2 1/2 tsp. dose per weight. I usually give him 2 tsp, but he was given 2.5 tsp.

I am usually a pretty relaxed mama, but with tylenol...I get a bit sketchy.

Thank you everyone for taking the time to ease my concerns!

He weighs 59, which now that I looked closer puts him 1 pound away from the 2 1/2 tsp. dose per weight. I usually give him 2 tsp, but he was given 2.5 tsp.

I am usually a pretty relaxed mama, but with tylenol...I get a bit sketchy.

Thank you everyone for taking the time to ease my concerns!

I'm presuming you have the 160mg/5mL concentration. If so he received 400mg which is just under 15mg/kg.  15mg/kg is actually an appropriate weight based dosing to use as long as you do not give more than 5 doses per day.  

One more question...sorry to clog your feed up, but where can I grab the charcoal?

Most drug stores have it.  

Quasi Related PSA: If you, or anyone else, have Ipecac at home then please dispose of it safely.  There is not a clinical situation where Ipecac will help and many where it will harm.

Quasi Related PSA: If you, or anyone else, have Ipecac at home then please dispose of it safely. There is not a clinical situation where Ipecac will help and many where it will harm.[/quote

Thank you for sharing- will do.

Off to the drug store tomorrow....

One more question...sorry to clog your feed up, but where can I grab the charcoal?

Activated Charcoal is great to have on hand. I usually by it at the health food store or iherb.com.  When we take activated charcoal at the FIRST SIGNS (not right when you're about to heave) of a stomach bug, we end up not throwing up/indigestion goes away. Good stuff.

Quasi Related PSA: If you, or anyone else, have Ipecac at home then please dispose of it safely. There is not a clinical situation where Ipecac will help and many where it will harm.

Our ped says the same thing. No ipecac here.

My family physician told me years ago that the dosages are less than half of what is completely ok for multiple doses.

Remember always that we live in a litigious society. It will reduce your anxiety level a lot in this sort of situation. The same MD clued me into this fact and have me at least 10 examples of "standard procedures" that are not related in any way to any reality other than that if living in a litigious society.

Actually Tylenol can cause overdose problems even at a small overdose amount. It's not true that the label is under dosing bc of litigation. Not at all. I would be fairly confident the OP kid is ok but honestly Tylenol is not safe. It would never make it to market today. Advil really is safer.

Advil is not safe for those on blood thinners.

Advil does a batter job with muscle pain than Tylenol does.

I am not a doctor or anyone with medical expertise. I'm just telling what my MD said. His degrees are from Harvard and Case Western. He has been recognized for his diagnostic abilities. He's not a random internet resource.

However, anyone is free to chose their sources for info.

Advil is not safe for those on blood thinners.

Which I'm sure her son isn't on. For most people, in most situations, ibuprofen is safer.

Acetaminophen has the potential to be deadly in comparatively small doses. That's not litigiousness or "random internet sources", that's reality. Part of the problem is that we all have this idea that it's "safe" - after all, it's sold over the counter, it's the "safer" alternative to aspirin for children, right? You and I and everybody grew up with the stuff! But, like all drugs, you can overdose on it. If we respected it more, there'd be fewer overdoses, but a lot of people don't take the risk of overdose from tylenol or ibuprofen seriously.

NPR and ProPublica did a series on this a year ago:

http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives/episode/505/use-only-as-directed

http://www.propublica.org/article/tylenol-mcneil-fda-kids-dose-of-confusion

And it's so easy to blame the parents, but you know how it is. You have a sick child, and all you want to do is make them feel better. The doctor said it's safe. Your mom said it's safe. Your neighbor, and all your friends use Tylenol, because it's safe. And you're tired, and you're under the weather too, and it's sooooo stressful with your kid crying, and maybe you don't check with your husband that he didn't give a dose while you were taking that much-needed nap. Maybe, like the OP, you measure out two doses that are *very* close in volume, and you give the wrong one to the wrong kid. (This, incidentally, is why I take all painkillers in half doses. I can always take a second half-dose. I can always take a second if the first doesn't kick in fast enough, but it generally does, and if I screw up my measurements due to being tired or whatever, at least it won't lead to a panicked call to poison control.)

There needs to be a buffer zone for the dosing so that when people screw up, as they will, because they're people, it isn't utterly devastating.

Which I'm sure her son isn't on. For most people, in most situations, ibuprofen is safer.

Acetaminophen has the potential to be deadly in comparatively small doses. That's not litigiousness or "random internet sources", that's reality. Part of the problem is that we all have this idea that it's "safe" - after all, it's sold over the counter, it's the "safer" alternative to aspirin for children, right? You and I and everybody grew up with the stuff! But, like all drugs, you can overdose on it. If we respected it more, there'd be fewer overdoses, but a lot of people don't take the risk of overdose from tylenol or ibuprofen seriously.

NPR and ProPublica did a series on this a year ago:

http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives/episode/505/use-only-as-directed

http://www.propublica.org/article/tylenol-mcneil-fda-kids-dose-of-confusion

And it's so easy to blame the parents, but you know how it is. You have a sick child, and all you want to do is make them feel better. The doctor said it's safe. Your mom said it's safe. Your neighbor, and all your friends use Tylenol, because it's safe. And you're tired, and you're under the weather too, and it's sooooo stressful with your kid crying, and maybe you don't check with your husband that he didn't give a dose while you were taking that much-needed nap. Maybe, like the OP, you measure out two doses that are *very* close in volume, and you give the wrong one to the wrong kid. (This, incidentally, is why I take all painkillers in half doses. I can always take a second half-dose. I can always take a second if the first doesn't kick in fast enough, but it generally does, and if I screw up my measurements due to being tired or whatever, at least it won't lead to a panicked call to poison control.)

There needs to be a buffer zone for the dosing so that when people screw up, as they will, because they're people, it isn't utterly devastating.

It's my understanding that the danger occurs when parents continually give kids multiple medicines without realizing they all contain Tylenol, not from an accidental, one-time half-teaspoon too much.

It's my understanding that the danger occurs when parents continually give kids multiple medicines without realizing they all contain Tylenol, not from an accidental, one-time half-teaspoon too much.

Exactly. Tylenol overdoses are a real problem. A SINGLE 1/2 a teaspoon of extra liquid suspension though does not an overdose make.

That is another problem, yes. (And if anybody replies to say "they should've read the packaging" I will simply refer back to my previous comment. People don't always do what they should have done.)

And no, no, I certainly didn't mean to imply that a single half-teaspoon, one time was a RUSH TO THE HOSPITAL moment. If I meant that, I would have said that, but with more bold and possibly red text. An extra half a teaspoon is normal error, and - though remember I'm not myself a doctor, nurse, or pharmacist - nothing to panic about.

My 5yo, 30lb girl was stung twice by a bark scorpion. She was screaming, I panicked, and I administered one of our scorpion sting kits which included 3 adult extra strength Tylenol (ibuprofen is not recommended as it speeds the nerve toxin through the bloodstream). As soon as she swallowed them, my heart dropped. I called poison control and they said she needed (I believe) about four times that amount in a single dose to do irreversible damage and that it's long term accidental overdosing that is so dangerous.

I had no idea! I wonder why it does that. *off to google*

Ibuprofen thins blood. Adrenalin makes the heart pump faster, and thinner blood moves the venom through the body. Bark scorpions make you feel awful because their venom is a nerve toxin. She was so tiny at the time that the stings were particularly dangerous. You want to like down with the sting site lower than the heart if you can to keep the venom localized as much as possible.

ETA: My source of info is advice given to me by poison control when I suffered my first sting. I was pregnant at the time and worried about the baby. My husband was hoping she would develop super powers.

I just saw this. I actually called Poison Control last night bc I gave my 7 year old a double dose of Children's NyQuil (no Tylenol in it). First, I called my sister who is a pediatrician. She said she thought he would be fine, but she wasn't in a situation where she could double check. I called Poison Control and they were very nice. He was fine, but they told us to watch him for 2-4 hours. They called back an hour later to check and confirm he was still doing okay.

He is 100% fine today, except for his cough. :)

Just got the rest of these responses...our internet has been down for a bit.

Yes, thank you everyone for a very informative thread, and also for the supportive words of encouragement!

Mom23boys- I'm so glad your little one is okay!

My Dh and I are being extra careful to write down each dose we give to which child...especially since we are ALL sick now. :-)

Stay healthy everyone!

D