Menu

What can I do with this leftover turkey?

Annie G

I have about a pound and a half of sliced turkey leftover. It was a very good turkey so I want to turn it into a meal. No sandwiches, because I already made panini with some and while they were good, I want to do something else. 

No soup- I make soup every week and nobody here likes turkey soup. 

Nothing with canned cream soup- we don't use that. 

I do have some leftover homemade cranberry sauce if there's something I can do with that, too.  I usually just put  bait in my plain yogurt or mix in with my oatmeal...it keeps me from just eating it from the bowl with a spoon! 

The best I have come up with is a turkey tetrazzini with my own cream sauce. Hoping someone here has some ideas. 

My family loves these turkey enchiladas from the San Francisco Chronicle:   (There are other ideas at the link too)

POST-THANKSGIVING RECIPE: TURKEY ENCHILADAS VERDES

Quick, simple, mindless. The perfect antidote to the hustle-bustle of Thanksgiving.

INGREDIENTS:

-- Corn oil

-- 8 corn tortillas

-- 3 cups chopped roast turkey meat

-- 2 cups purchased green salsa with tomatillos

-- 1/3 cup sour cream

-- 3/4 cup grated Monterey Jack cheese

INSTRUCTIONS: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

Brush a nonstick frying pan with a light film of oil and place over medium heat. When hot, fry the tortillas, 1 at a time, until just speckled with brown and softened on both sides (do not let them crisp); transfer to a plate. Brush the pan with more oil as needed.

Stir together the turkey, 1 1/2 cups of the salsa and the sour cream. Spoon equal amounts of this mixture down the center of the tortillas, fold the sides of the tortillas over the filling then place seam sides down in a baking dish. Spoon the remaining salsa in a band across the enchiladas. Sprinkle with the cheese. Cover tightly with foil.

Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, until the enchiladas are heated through and the cheese has melted.

Serves 4.

PER SERVING: 470 calories, 42 g protein, 37 g carbohydrate, 18 g fat (8 g saturated), 108 mg cholesterol, 281 mg sodium, 6 g fiber.

Hash - fry up potatoes and onions in butter and olive oil. When the potatoes are cooked and golden, toss in the turkey until warm. Serve the cranberry sauce with it.

Enchiladas (like mentioned above)

Pie - make a thick white sauce with flour, butter, and cream. Stir bite-sized pieces of the turkey and any cooked veggies you like (potatoes, carrots, onions, and peas (frozen is fine;don't precook these) are my favorite), dump the filling into a store bought or homemade pie crust. Put a crust on top and bake til golden. Puff pastry is amazing for this.

Ina Garten has an AMAZING curried turkey salad recipe.

If your family is all tummies out, you might want to freeze meal-sized portions of the turkey for later.

http://swimtaxi234.blogspot.com/2012/10/baked-creamy-chicken-taquitos.html

This is a family favorite that I am going to doctor for tonight's meal using leftover turkey.  I have made this with doctored rotisserie chicken, so fingers crossed that it works tonight since I will be serving it to a bunch of teens.

EDIT:  Huge success - I made 20 taquitos and they are all gone.  

One year I mixed leftover chopped up turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes with a couple of eggs, shaped them into balls, and deep fried them.  A sort of turkey crochet.  I know, that isn't the healthiest sounding thing, but man were they good.  If you don't have stuffing you can use something like Stove Top.  Or just use the potatoes.

Sometimes I just chop up the turkey, mix in some gravy, and heat that up then serve that on top of rice, potatoes, noodles, or toasted bread.

I have one vote for hash and two for enchiladas. And requests to NOT make tetrazzini or quiche.   Also, one family member is worshipping the leftover dressing and doesn't want to see it used in croquettes.    Keep in mind that other than me, there are only three other family members here...and this is why I usually just make food and call them to the table. Too many opinions and very little agreement.  Well, unless it's agreement against something.g 

Oh, during this discussion the conversation drifted and various members asked for homemade chicken and noodles, chicken pot pie, and chicken parmesan.   

So with the turkey leftovers -enchiladas it is and a small batch of hash.   

Thanks, everyone...I think each idea presented are things I would have loved.  I might have to file these ideas away!

I made a kind of shepherd's pie the other day:

Bottom layer: stuffing/dressing baked and then broiled to warm it and make it crispy all over

Middle layer: turkey with a good amount of gravy (fresh homemade gravy from the stove warmed the turkey)

Top layer: Mashed potatoes mixed with milk to make it spreadable

I topped it with cheddar cheese and heated it at 350 for about 1/2 hour (until the cheese was browed on top) and served with cranberry sauce on the side.  If I had had leftover squash I probably would have done a layer with that between the turkey and potatoes.

Everyone raved over it, fought over the leftovers of the leftovers, and complained when it was all gone.

I used our left over turkey in  my white chicken chili recipe.  It was very good.  Here is the recipe I use.

http://www.qvc.com/SavoryWhiteBeanChickenChili.content.html

I won't have enough turkey to make this but I'm going to make this recipe next week. I make some kind of chili or soup every week and portion it in mason jars for our lunches.  I tried a white chicken chili recipe before but it had cheese in it and it didn't reheat well at all. The cheese clumped with the chicken and it was awful.  This looks right up my alley!

turkey divan,  (turkey slices on top of broccoli baked with a parmesian cream sauce. (sauce is from scratch - no cans of anything) - served with rice.)  my kids love it.  I"m making it tomorrow.

or turkey crepes - which you can top with the cranberry sauce.

We prefer turkey pot pie to chicken. We look forward to having leftover turkey for it. The stronger taste of turkey is very good with a creamy sauce and veggies.

Chicken pot pie is one of our favorite comfort food meals. I'll have to try it with turkey sometime.  It's embarrassing how much  chicken pot pie we eat when I make it. 

Gumbo! That's what I do with it.

I also love turkey tetrazzini and will make one up if I feel like it.

I've never tasted gumbo, let alone made my own. But my sisters and I are planning a trip to New Orleans in April so I may have to try it. Is gumbo always spicy?

What about adding it to salad?  My husband did that for lunch with the kids this afternoon while I was working a lovely physician ED shift.  

We eat few salads this time of year unless we're at a restaurant.  I know that sounds awful but it's cold where we live (ground has been snow covered for a week and will likely remain covered until March) and salads are a hard sell with this crowd. 

Having said that, I cannot imagine my dh ever making a salad for himself.  So I'm always impressed to hear of these mythological other men who do so. 

We eat few salads this time of year unless we're at a restaurant.  I know that sounds awful but it's cold where we live (ground has been snow covered for a week and will likely remain covered until March) and salads are a hard sell with this crowd. 

Having said that, I cannot imagine my dh ever making a salad for himself.  So I'm always impressed to hear of these mythological other men who do so. 

We're blessed to have a greenhouse so we have fresh spinach and lettuce throughout the winter.

My husband is very functional in the kitchen and even has certain dishes that he makes better than I do.  On the days he is home with the kids he makes/supervises them making lunch.  None of them are big sandwich fans so they do eat a lot of hearty salads for lunch.

Really? My dh loves salads. But, it's warm here.

As part of a meal out, dh will eat salad and enjoy them. At home when it's hot, he'll eat one.  Make one himself? Nope.  

It's pretty warm here now (in the 30's) but Monday's high is 20.  Our house is 135 years old and costs a fortune to keep warm. Inside temp this time of year is set at 62.  We're moving back south when dh retires in 4 years, 2 months, and 15 days. Not that we're counting.g

For breakfast today I had a bagel with cream cheese and turkey. For dinner I had a baked potato with cheese, sour cream, and turkey. Tomorrow I'll probably make quesadillas with diced turkey inside. Might even use a little taco seasoning on the turkey while it's warming up. Turkey enchiladas are on the list, as well as soup (both turkey noodle soup and mulligatawny). Turkey with scrambled eggs in a "breakfast burrito" is actually very good. Basically, I use turkey wherever I'd use roasted chicken in a recipe. I hate to cook, so I often buy the packages of shredded rotisserie chicken from Costco and use that in half of my cooking. :)

I froze about 1/2 of the leftover turkey so I don't have to use it ALL this week.