Menu

Want to offer your opinion on stoves now?

LifeLovePassion

I would never ever have an electric stove in my home.  If I moved into a house with one, it would be changed the day of closing, lol.  I just hate the way they cook.  I don't care how hard it might be to clean a gas top stove, it wouldn't be enough for me to want an electric.  Another way to look at it...how much time will you spend cooking on it versus how much time you will spend cleaning it.

I had two wall ovens in our first home and loved it.  Second home we purchased had a monstrous restaurant stove...8 burners, 2 ovens, grill top.  When it was time to replace it I had gotten too used to two ovens to not have them anymore.  I ended up purchasing a Kenmore Elite 5 burner top range with two ovens.  One is full size and one is smaller.  It's an awesome stove.

If you have the money for two standard sized ovens, by all means, get both! Or one regular and one convection, that's a nice compromise.

I would always get a gas stove if I had the choice. That's what I grew up with, and what I'm used to. I don't like electric stoves. I don't like the idea that they might turn on without my immediately noticing. I've noticed people with smooth-top electric stoves just leaving paper items or oven mitts carelessly on the stove, and I don't like that I might have to chase after the kids telling them never to do that, it's not safe. Nobody carelessly leaves things on top of gas burners.

Also, eight burners? Sounds like my dream! Even six would be better than just four.

Gas stove. I've had both. No going back.

I have one oven. Once a year I hate it. I have a largish toaster oven I pull out at that time. My kitchen isn't shaped right for 2 ovens. If rather have 1 full size than 2 smalls tho.

I have a gas range:  6 burner, griddle, two ovens.  It is very easy to clean.

Lots of people extol the virtues of baking in an electric oven.  In my opinion, unless you are a professional chef you will not see a difference in quality of baked items in a gas vs. electric oven.  I do prefer gas for the range top.

I did not opt for wall ovens because of venting--I like to have my ovens under my vent hood.  Plenty of things I cook generate a certain amount of smoke...

I have a dual fuel (2 high btu burners) with a very large oven, and a warming drawer.

My dream kitchen (which I can't afford, and dont' have room for anyway - unless I gave up more counter space than with which I'm willing to part.) would have a 5 burner gas cooktop with a griddle/grill - and a double extra-large wall oven. (wall ovens require more insulation, and most are just too small.)

and absolutely under NO circumstances - a vent at the level of the burners. (don't have one, but something I learned before I bought what I do have.) it's sucks away too much heat.

oh - I went around with a ruler measure the height and width of the INSIDE of the oven. there were some that would have been a struggle to fit a roaster inside.

I also have a simmer burner. They are sealed. And I ordered commercial style grates so I can slide pans across.

Gas range - 4 sealed burners, 1 oven. 1 is a power burner and one simmer burner.   It works for us and is plenty 99.9% of the time.  The only thing I don't like about it is that the grates are a gray porcelain covered steel which shows every little spot and take forever (and a lot of elbow grease and SOS pads) to clean.  I do wish they were black. 

I grew up with electric.  They took forever to heat up.  If you ever spilled on a burner, you could never get it clean enough to not smoke the next time you used it. 

I always liked gas but the cleaning is easier on a smooth top. Perhaps other features are important and will help make a decision such as simmer burner ( I love those), warming compartment or setting on oven and being able to time the oven to come on and turn off automatically. I think most newer ovens have the timing feature.

If you only need 2 ovens during holidays, you could consider a toaster oven as an inexpensive second option as long as it is a large model that fits a 9 x 12 dish. We use the toaster oven in the summer when we don't want to turn on the wall oven. Toaster oven is convection which is nice.

I've had both and they both have their advantages. One thing I hated about the gas stove was that it really made the kitchen hot. So much heat escapes at the edges of the burner. On a glass top, of the pot or pan fits properly, the edges of the burner are not hot at all. The glass top is also far easier to clean than the gas stove. I do believe that the newer glass tops are a lot better than the older ones. The one benefit to gas that I liked is the instant adjustment of the flame. I have a new stove and oven and it has a convection feature that I like.

Gas for surface cooking, always. That gas cooktops might be less easy to clean than electric is a trade off I'm willing to make. :-)

Two ovens if possible, even if you don't use both of them all the time.

And if it's possible, gas for surface, electric for the oven. Some manufacturers do offer that. 

Unless you moved to an area where it wasn't available.

Sigh.

We had gas stovetops and gas clothes dryers in CA and loved them.  Most homes here are electric only and living in the country provides even less opportunity for gas.

We currently have an electric stove top/flat top.  It isn't my favorite, but I make do.

Dawn

I would never ever have an electric stove in my home.  If I moved into a house with one, it would be changed the day of closing, lol.  I just hate the way they cook.  I don't care how hard it might be to clean a gas top stove, it wouldn't be enough for me to want an electric.  Another way to look at it...how much time will you spend cooking on it versus how much time you will spend cleaning it.

I had two wall ovens in our first home and loved it.  Second home we purchased had a monstrous restaurant stove...8 burners, 2 ovens, grill top.  When it was time to replace it I had gotten too used to two ovens to not have them anymore.  I ended up purchasing a Kenmore Elite 5 burner top range with two ovens.  One is full size and one is smaller.  It's an awesome stove.

How sensitive is your nose? I THOUGHT I wanted gas because I consider myself a serious cook. However, when we moved to a temporary apartment and actually had a gas stove, I hated the smell. Now it's quick and goes away, so you don't smell it all the time, but my daughter and I both hated it. We didn't get used to it in five months. My DH and DS never smelled a thing and thought we were nuts. We have gas heat, but I'm not in the basement often enough for it to matter.

I have an electric stove in my house. After the gas experience I appreciated it more. I prefer an electric oven anyway. I like that the flat top can serve as counter space when you're not using it. I also got a model with a full oven and a half oven on top. It has served all my double oven desires in the space of a regular oven. (I did lose my "lid drawer" because these ovens don't have a drawer. )

neither.  Induction is the only way to go for me.  Cleaning is even easier than an electric smoothtop or enclosed gas burners or anything else out there.  Seriously, you can't burn anything onto the stove so everything wipes off with water.  But it has the control of gas plus the fact that things INSTANTLY stop boiling when you turn the burner off so those boil overs don't happen.  You can't melt chocolate without using a double boil and my large canning pot of water comes to a boil in 18 minutes (my old stove took an hour).  Any refrigerator can keep food cold, any dishwasher can somewhat wash dishes, even a washing machine can get clothes clean but there is no other stove with the versatility of induction.

I would want a gas stove and double oven. I WISH I always had this option, but I don't, lol. Plenty of areas of the US do not have gas lines that go to homes at all.

One of my friends had a propane tank installed so she could have a gas stove -- there was no natural gas available in her neighborhood. She is very happy with her decision.