Menu

Can I get a "do-over" for the school year?

We had already decided to school year 'round, from now on. The amount of "summer brain rot" was just too great, and we really prefer to take off a larger chunk of time in December, when we're traveling for a fairly great amount of time to visit my FIL for the holidays. 

With my surgery, and the number of illnesses we've had run amok in the house, it's been "a week here, a week there" and retention simply isn't happening. 

I'm flirting with the idea of January-December (taking off all, or most, of December, and only a week or two in the summer for camp).

Any reason why this wouldn't work? It would definitely allow me to spend the next month *really* getting ready for school, as opposed to the pretty crap-shoot plan I had in place this August, with everything else that was going on. 

Couldn't it cause a problem if you continue into high school or if you want to enroll in a school? If you continue this schedule through high school, then your student would finish 12th grade in December. Would you then delay college entrance nine months? On the other hand, if you want to move into a public or private school that starts in September, wouldn't you have the same problem?

I understand the appeal, but the scheduling problems made it seem impossible to me. For a very young student, it sounds just fine. But it's as you move close to high school years that it seems necessary to stick to the ordinary calendar. If you have a solution to those issues, I'd be interested to hear it.

It worked for me.

I didn't see a reason to have an Official School Year that was different from the Actual Real World Year. :-) We took off a couple of weeks around Easter, a couple of weeks in late August/early September, and Thanksgiving through about the middle of January, plus random other Mental Health Days as needed. However, for the sake of Sunday school and grandparents (and any other organization that grouped children by grade level instead of age), I "promoted" in the fall ("I hereby promote you to SECOND GRADE! Go forth and prosper!"), and then we just continued doing whatever we were doing. :coolgleamA:

Couldn't it cause a problem if you continue into high school or if you want to enroll in a school? If you continue this schedule through high school, then your student would finish 12th grade in December. Would you then delay college entrance nine months? On the other hand, if you want to move into a public or private school that starts in September, wouldn't you have the same problem?

I understand the appeal, but the scheduling problems made it seem impossible to me. For a very young student, it sounds just fine. But it's as you move close to high school years that it seems necessary to stick to the ordinary calendar. If you have a solution to those issues, I'd be interested to hear it.

The reality is that while DD would love to attend a brick and mortar school, even the public school ed psych agrees that it is in her best interest to remain at home. It would actually not hurt our feelings at all to delay college by a semester - but she COULD easily enroll in the spring semester, instead of the fall, if she decided to go right after. The cheapest way for her to *do* college is the local tech school, and then transfer to a four-year locally.

Now, with that said, we haven't ruled it out entirely, but as long as I have a portfolio handy, there would be no issue (legally) enrolling in whatever school I choose (we have minimal requirements here). Since she is typically working about a year ahead in math, and will have a 504 for ELA regardless (but is actually working ahead of where the PS 7th graders are right now in that arena), I can't *see* a problem, but I'd definitely be willing to hear any potential issues if you can think of any. We aren't legally required to instruct August - June, as homeschoolers in my state, and we aren't required to test. 

It worked for me.

I didn't see a reason to have an Official School Year that was different from the Actual Real World Year. :-) We took off a couple of weeks around Easter, a couple of weeks in late August/early September, and Thanksgiving through about the middle of January, plus random other Mental Health Days as needed. However, for the sake of Sunday school and grandparents (and any other organization that grouped children by grade level instead of age), I "promoted" in the fall ("I hereby promote you to SECOND GRADE! Go forth and prosper!"), and then we just continued doing whatever we were doing. :coolgleamA:

Lol! I *love* that!

For -me-, I wouldn't be comfortable taking the time off now, for work time I'm planning to put in later. Too much life gets in the way. Can you do skill subjects for some if the Dec-Jan time? That way you keep making some progress but also get schedule relief?

That's me, though.

I can... but in the midst of my post-op appointments in the upcoming weeks, as well as a necessary dental visit for DD, and a genetics appointment for DS5, we will be back to the same thing - no retention because we're a day here, a day there; a week here, a week there. DD13 still needs hand holding in most subjects (other than reading), because I'm using materials specifically in a buddy way until we gain some ground with her learning differences (dyslexia). So, essentially, if we do skill subjects between now and January, we will still have to start from square one in January again (or close to Square One). <---- that's the problem we're facing right now. So much DIDN'T get done in the 6 weeks I was recovering from the surgery (I was pretty... uh... not of sound mind from the medications), that we had to start back at the beginning anyway (because it was only a month after the school year had started that I had to take time off).

ETA: I will note that the past couple months have been great for one thing - relearning DD's learning style. She spent last year in private school, so I am already needing to move some things around (levels, etc).

I say do it!  I want to school year round but I agreed to teach my nephew at home this year and my sister needed him to follow a public school schedule because of his other 2 siblings.  If/when I am no longer helping out with him I would school year round in a heart beat.  And if I were you I'd certainly stop now and start up again in Jan.

We just can't because of weather but I don't know if that is an issue where you are. The summers are just too beautiful here and we have to get our yearly dose of sunshine in during those 2 months before the rain hits for the other 10. Every year I think we are going to go year round and every year it doesn't work out. We are able to maintain a light schedule but full schedule year round? No way. We all want to be outside swimming and playing.

We just can't because of weather but I don't know if that is an issue where you are. The summers are just too beautiful here and we have to get our yearly dose of sunshine in during those 2 months before the rain hits for the other 10. Every year I think we are going to go year round and every year it doesn't work out. We are able to maintain a light schedule but full schedule year round? No way. We all want to be outside swimming and playing.

Our summers are pretty terribly hot (mid-90's are pretty common). Add to that, none of us are terribly fond of being outdoors for more than 30 minutes in general :P

I can... but in the midst of my post-op appointments in the upcoming weeks, as well as a necessary dental visit for DD, and a genetics appointment for DS5, we will be back to the same thing - no retention because we're a day here, a day there; a week here, a week there. DD13 still needs hand holding in most subjects (other than reading), because I'm using materials specifically in a buddy way until we gain some ground with her learning differences (dyslexia). So, essentially, if we do skill subjects between now and January, we will still have to start from square one in January again (or close to Square One). <---- that's the problem we're facing right now. So much DIDN'T get done in the 6 weeks I was recovering from the surgery (I was pretty... uh... not of sound mind from the medications), that we had to start back at the beginning anyway (because it was only a month after the school year had started that I had to take time off).

ETA: I will note that the past couple months have been great for one thing - relearning DD's learning style. She spent last year in private school, so I am already needing to move some things around (levels, etc).

I understand wanting the do-over - I've been saying that since August, but for different reasons.  (Not because of lack of school progress, but because of commitments we made that effected the year). 

I say follow your gut. 

On the other hand, ground zero might be better than 3 steps back?

Side Note: Have you considered Barton for your daughter? I know two moms locally with dyslexic kids and they both swear by it.

We really love Apples and Pears. I had ditched it, because of a recent psych ed eval, but that was a ridiculous move on my part - she thrives on it... and, more than that, she really enjoys it! 

She doesn't have any reading problems, per se; she struggles GREATLY with writing and spelling, though, and anything auditory.

I understand wanting the do-over - I've been saying that since August, but for different reasons.  (Not because of lack of school progress, but because of commitments we made that effected the year). 

I say follow your gut. 

On the other hand, ground zero might be better than 3 steps back?

My gut tells me to wait until January. That would give me the time necessary to move out things that aren't working for the kids, move IN things that would work, or have worked in the past (and that I, like an idiot, ditched), and to really write out some concrete plans, as well as get in all of their absolutely necessary appointments without worrying about planning, AND appointments, AND school, AND finishing my recovery time (which as already been extended once by my surgeon).

This sounds good, but will you really be able to dive in in January? If you are sure in your heart of hearts that you will hit the ground running in January and suddenly won't have appointments and other things, then it would work. And are you sure that they kids won't be upset to miss out on summer vacation? Two years ago my boys suddenly realized that everyone else had off all summer. Will your kids be terribly upset when May hits and everyone else is relaxing and they're still working? Kids don't always remember that when they were relaxing during the school year the other kids were in school.

Only you can answer those questions.

We had already decided to school year 'round, from now on. The amount of "summer brain rot" was just too great, and we really prefer to take off a larger chunk of time in December, when we're traveling for a fairly great amount of time to visit my FIL for the holidays. 

With my surgery, and the number of illnesses we've had run amok in the house, it's been "a week here, a week there" and retention simply isn't happening. 

I'm flirting with the idea of January-December (taking off all, or most, of December, and only a week or two in the summer for camp).

Any reason why this wouldn't work? It would definitely allow me to spend the next month *really* getting ready for school, as opposed to the pretty crap-shoot plan I had in place this August, with everything else that was going on. 

This is exactly how I homeschool. We go year round and start new in January every year. We take off the entire month of December except for math. I spend December planning for our new year. We've been doing this for a couple of years now and it's wonderful. Our summers are very hot (Houston area) so we take our nice days in the fall and spring and actually work our hardest in the summer months. We got on this schedule for the exact same reason as well. We had a really rough year about three years ago and I just decided to do a reset and start anew in January. We've been following a Jan-Nov school year ever since.

My vote is go for it!!!!

I wish I could have a do-over for the beginning of this year. We got a late start to begin with, my husband's work schedule has changed fairly significantly twice since September and I can't seem to get in sync with it, and I've been sick twice and the rest of the time allergies have been making me miserable. I had awesome plans for the year that have fizzled into barely getting in the 3 R's and piano practice. I had an amazing schedule planned out that proved to be unrealistic for our family. Oh well, I'm just going to keep with what we're managing to get done and then try to revamp it all in January. I would love to get my act together someday....

DS5 really doesn't care about what everyone else is doing... he hasn't any friends outside of my best friend's sons. He absolutely DETESTS being outdoors in spring and summer. For the first time ever, now that it's cooler out, he's requesting to play outdoors (which thrills me). DD13 doesn't care so long as she is allowed to attend the summer sports camps at the Catholic high school, which is no problem because they are only half days, and only for a week at a time (and she only cares for a couple of the sports).

I have no choice but to hit the ground running in January. We didn't have any choice but to drop school, as we weren't expecting the surgery, or the six week recovery period, or the restrictions that came with that recovery... and we certainly weren't expecting him to say that I'm not healing correctly and need to extend the recovery period. Unfortunately that meant I had to push back needed appointments for the children, as I couldn't drive and was on pain medication. 

There is no brick and mortar option for either school aged child. The schools have already admitted they have nothing to offer the 2E kiddo, and Middle Kiddo is too medically fragile, and requires too much in the way of appointments to attend brick and mortar school. So, it has to happen. 

This is actually something that I've been wanting to do for a long time (Jan-Dec), but there never seemed to be a right time to implement it. Now, when we may not have a choice, may just be that time. 

I do plan to keep going with DS5. After thinking about it, there is no "cut off" for him, as he is progressing very well, probably because he has always been at home, and I have been working with him consistently, year 'round, for a couple of years - we just move on from where we leave off, and he doesn't struggle with retention. Everything we are using with him is working well for his cores (memory work, phonics, and math), so I will probably just keep moving with him, because school is also his bargaining chip :)

DD is where I really need to reassess most of what we're using, now that she's been home for a while. 

Besides the fact that absolutely January-December would work just fine, because children learn year-round, your children are still young enough that taking time off now won't be a big deal.

And really, your Formal School Year can consist of two or three terms, none of them being the "beginning of the school year." Does there even *have* to be a "beginning"? I think not. :-)

Aimee, your mental and physical well-being are just as important as educating your kids and the kids aren't retaining anything ANYWAY because of the stop start nature of your lives right now.  You and I both know that especially with a dyslexic that just doesn't work.  And can get really frustrating and demoralizing.  

Take the time off.  Give all of you a chance to get through all of the appointments, give yourself time to pull together a more workable plan, and time to recover.  Begin fresh in the new year.  In the meantime, maybe the kids watch some documentaries, listen to some audio books or some read alouds or whatever, and you all take some time off.  And take the pressure off of you for now.

Hugs, Aimee.   

Due to a change of meds, I went severely hypothyroid this summer, from mid-July to mid-August -- just when I had planned to get all my final prep work done for this school year. When I came up out of that awful fog, I felt like summer had slipped past. I told my husband that I felt like Rip van Winkle, waking up and finding that time had gone on while he slept. I knew we could never start "on time." We'd be about a month "late."

My husband said, "What do you mean? How can you be late? What are the kids behind in? Nothing. What will happen to the universe if you start in October, instead of September? Nothing. What impact will this have on their future lives? None. What do you need to do now? Get healthy. I have complete confidence in what you are doing. Just do the next thing."

You can't have him, Ladies, he's mine. :001_wub:

Anyway, that made my day. ;) I did the prep, we started about 3 weeks past when I had thought we would, and we're doing just great. It was worth taking the time to solidify things, get as much prep done as possible, and get ready to roll.

However, I did have them working on math facts. And chores. And lots of outdoor exercise, so I could get it pulled together. And they started on church midweek and children's choir, which were both new activities for them.

I'd say, take the time you need to get yourself and your plan pulled together, up to a point, and take a look at what the kids could be doing independently while you prep things. Hope you feel better.

No worries - it sounds like your husband and mine would get along beautifully. When I tried to talk to him about this, he looked at me as though I had three heads - "you're doing great with them, Aimee", "why are you even worried about this, Aimee", "I promise they will be FINE if you take some more time off", "seriously, Aimee, you know what you're doing - it will be fine". Lol. 

There is nothing they can do, really, on their own. Almost all of DD's language arts are mom intensive, and she needs me to help her THOROUGHLY read her math assignments with her, and help her dissect any words she doesn't understand (this is part of the problem - I think our math isn't working, even though CLE has worked in the past with her; she was taught in a completely different manner in private school last year, and now CLE seems to just be confusing her, compared to the way she was taught last year - no clue where to go with that). DS5 has pretty significant fine motor delays, and needs to be guided to write anything, and obviously at his age, and with the programs we're using, he is completely mom intensive.

The only thing I may be able to do is have DD do memory work with her brother (they're combined in CCM). 

Due to a change of meds, I went severely hypothyroid this summer, from mid-July to mid-August -- just when I had planned to get all my final prep work done for this school year. When I came up out of that awful fog, I felt like summer had slipped past. I told my husband that I felt like Rip van Winkle, waking up and finding that time had gone on while he slept. I knew we could never start "on time." We'd be about a month "late."

My husband said, "What do you mean? How can you be late? What are the kids behind in? Nothing. What will happen to the universe if you start in October, instead of September? Nothing. What impact will this have on their future lives? None. What do you need to do now? Get healthy. I have complete confidence in what you are doing. Just do the next thing."

You can't have him, Ladies, he's mine. :001_wub:

Anyway, that made my day. ;) I did the prep, we started about 3 weeks past when I had thought we would, and we're doing just great. It was worth taking the time to solidify things, get as much prep done as possible, and get ready to roll.

However, I did have them working on math facts. And chores. And lots of outdoor exercise, so I could get it pulled together. And they started on church midweek and children's choir, which were both new activities for them.

I'd say, take the time you need to get yourself and your plan pulled together, up to a point, and take a look at what the kids could be doing independently while you prep things. Hope you feel better.

Aimee, your mental and physical well-being are just as important as educating your kids and the kids aren't retaining anything ANYWAY because of the stop start nature of your lives right now.  You and I both know that especially with a dyslexic that just doesn't work.  And can get really frustrating and demoralizing.  

Take the time off.  Give all of you a chance to get through all of the appointments, give yourself time to pull together a more workable plan, and time to recover.  Begin fresh in the new year.  In the meantime, maybe the kids watch some documentaries, listen to some audio books or some read alouds or whatever, and you all take some time off.  And take the pressure off of you for now.

Hugs, Aimee.   

Yes, the dyslexic (but darling) teenager is throwing me for a loop. More than the dyslexia, her being away from home last year has caused more anguish, academically, than I had anticipated. She doesn't have one shred of confidence left after that God-awful year. Not one little bit. She very firmly believes she is incapable of learning anything, despite psych ed evals (and her parents, but ya know - we know nothing, lol) that say distinctly otherwise. 

I have no clue if it's the programs we're using that aren't working, or if she just needs a huge dose of "I can do it!". I feel like posting something like this in her notebook, but she'd roll her eyes, certainly (after she kisses me, because she sincerely is a darling):

"You are BRAVER than you believe, STRONGER than you seem, SMARTER than you think, and more LOVED than you will ever know."

Besides the fact that absolutely January-December would work just fine, because children learn year-round, your children are still young enough that taking time off now won't be a big deal.

And really, your Formal School Year can consist of two or three terms, none of them being the "beginning of the school year." Does there even *have* to be a "beginning"? I think not. :-)

You don't think DD is too old (edit, sorry - I said too young) to go months without anything formal? She doesn't do well with no structure (sincerely, she melts). DS is pretty... "chill", lol. 

There does need to be a beginning for them... at least in terms of taking "Grade X" pictures for Grandma, and the awkwardness we run into when the children can't tell their grades when asked (we ran into that for several years with DD13 when she had been home for a few years and was working on different levels across the board, lol!). 

So, no, we do not really need a start/stop time - they just need it for the sake of others... so just being able to SAY "we're going into grade x and grade y". Just because it satisfies the family members (who are all super supportive of homeschooling, but would not understand going against the PS time-line).

Aimee, I know you said her reading is good but you also said you have to read to her for quite a bit (or maybe only math?).  Are you certain she is solid on decoding and fluency, not just writing and spelling problems?  In other words, how does she do with decoding, fluency and comprehension if she reads out loud?  Can she properly decode nonsense words?  Have you tried her out on any nonsense words?  

As for the insecurities, maybe switching some of the curriculum to something without grade levels and moving her back a bit, at least for a while, might solidify some concepts/skills while giving her some needed confidence?

Aimee, I know you said her reading is good but you also said you have to read to her for quite a bit (or maybe only math?).  Are you certain she is solid on decoding and fluency, not just writing and spelling problems?  In other words, how does she do with decoding, fluency and comprehension if she reads out loud?  Can she properly decode nonsense words?  Have you tried her out on any nonsense words?  

As for the insecurities, maybe switching some of the curriculum to something without grade levels and moving her back a bit, at least for a while, might solidify some concepts/skills while giving her some needed confidence?

I'm NOT certain of that, actually, but I hesitate to use Dancing Bears with her (she loves apples and pears, so I plan to pick that back up with her, and she does great with it). I have no clue where to start with her in the DB books, and I'm pretty sure she would completely balk at using the same book as her 5 year old brother.

I'm relatively sure she just has fabulous sight reading skills. She still cannot spell completely phonetically correct words (even after a year of intense, daily, OG tutoring at the school last year); to me, this reads as that she cannot decode/unravel/build-back-up, and needs to go back. Waaaay back. She can spell words she sees very frequently, though, even if they are very difficult words.

She tires quickly reading, which is why we team read. It seems to strain her. I read her her math because she generally has a headache by the time we reach math, and I didn't want to make math difficult, if she's already struggling in LA; math was her *one* good area, when she was last home, and it's important that she has something she feels firm in. 

I say do it the way that makes the most sense to you.  If you're going to be busy and will get very little done then I'd wait.  If you want to fill the time with "stuff" that's not just "busy work" I'd do review to keep current skills up.  Also, watch movies, hang out, make Christmas decorations, and have some fun.  When else will you have this opportunity? 

I was also going to suggest laid-back fun educational stuff for the interim time - to keep the brains alert and active without being a drain or a bore. What about watching a science or history series? Do audio books work for your DD? Do you have a mobile device or computer that she could use for educational apps? Does your family enjoy games? (We've found a number of fantiastic educational games this year.)

I was also going to suggest laid-back fun educational stuff for the interim time - to keep the brains alert and active without being a drain or a bore. What about watching a science or history series? Do audio books work for your DD? Do you have a mobile device or computer that she could use for educational apps? Does your family enjoy games? (We've found a number of fantiastic educational games this year.)

She actually has a double-whammy; she has both serious auditory processing problems (retains very little with this method) and she's dyslexic... but she NEEDS to see it, and to read it, to retain it, which is why for some reason the CLE math doesn't seem to be working well for her - it's hard for her to read, but she doesn't retain much by me reading it to her. Audio books are a no go for her, but she does ENJOY reading for pleasure, in small amounts. She does best reading e-book formats (I think she's able to play with text size).

There is very little that I can find, in terms of games and videos, that are both appropriate for my 5 year old, and interesting enough to keep my 13 year old's interest. My 5 year old can't play many games (educational or otherwise) that appeal, or add anything, to my 13 year old; my 13 year old obviously isn't interested in most games that the 5 year old would be able to play. The same goes for educational videos/series; Magic School Bus is pleasurable for my 5 year old and 2 year old, and educational, but would have my 13 year old snoozing while sitting up :)

Now, I could probably set to record a series for DD13 to watch on her own, or later in the evening with me and Dad, and we definitely LOVE playing games (we just do it separately with the children, or DD13 will play *with* DS5).

I am open to recommendations that of both educational games (some for DS5 and some for DD13) and series for DD. She enjoys good graphics, and is definitely a very visual learner, but it also needs to sound pleasant (she absolutely cannot stand funny voices, tons of background nose, or static-y sounding audio). 

I need to place an Amazon order soon anyway, so I can order some games :)

I say do it the way that makes the most sense to you.  If you're going to be busy and will get very little done then I'd wait.  If you want to fill the time with "stuff" that's not just "busy work" I'd do review to keep current skills up.  Also, watch movies, hang out, make Christmas decorations, and have some fun.  When else will you have this opportunity? 

I am so enjoying being able to take them out and actually DO things with them again. We've all been in a funk with mom unable to take them out to do things... none of us enjoy sitting at home, and they were very used to daily outings, even if just to the grocery store :P

We do need to get on top of making some Thanksgiving decorations/crafts. My husband thinks I've completely neglected T-Day because I'm slightly Christmas obsessed, lol.

I would love to school year 'round (or most of the year).  My kids are resistant, though, because all their friends who are in B+M school are around for the summer for playing, swim team, etc...  I get that, so we do conventional school year here to coincide with friends' breaks.  We haven't experienced too much brain rot over the summer, so that's not an issue for us.  But year round school might be an issue for some kids if the friend factor comes into play. 

My DD is 12, and we regularly spend time with my friend and her children, who are 5 & 2. We both homeschool our kids. AND my 12yr old is moderately dyslexic. So, I'm finding myself drawn to your posts. :)

My DD loves audio books...but also retains a lot more if she reads along while listening to audio. I think audible.com is now doing some kind of deal where you can purchase audio books and then get the ebook at reduced price. I don't know how that works, in terms of getting your mobile device to run both programs at once, though. DD is currently working her way through the Lord of the Rings on audio, while following along in a paper book.

Games we play include:

• Izzi (This is something both the 12 & 5 can do together. It's a geometric puzzle game, sort of like tangrams.)
  • Scrambled States of America (This is kind of low level for the 12yr old, but can include both the 12 & the 5. The 12yr old is learning some geography.)
  • Prestel Art Game (This could possibly be adapted to include the 5 yr old, but it would take some work.)
  • Rummy Roots (This is a Latin & Greek word roots game. It's definitely for older kids.)
  • Bible Challenge (This could be adapted for both 12 & 5.)
  • Mad Libs card game (This one is for kids who are reading. I'd rather have You've Been Sentenced, but I haven't been willing to put out the money yet, and I got this one at a thrift store. I don't like some of their word choices.)
  • Blokus Trigon (This is for ages 5 & up, but it's fun for everybody. Older players will use more strategy than youngers.)
  • Goblet (The game description says it's for ages 7 & up. I like playing this with my adult friends! It's a 2-person game. Good strategy skills involved.)
  • Rummikub (I haven't tried this with the 5yr old)
  • Quiddler (for readers)

We haven't been using computer games or apps as much this year. So, I don't have as many suggestions there. In the past, I've researched "Brain Games," rather than educational games. My daughter enjoys logic puzzles and the kinds of things you find on Lumosity. These seems more "fun" and less academic to her, but they're still exercising the brain!

I sympathize with finding videos everyone could watch. My 12 yr old enjoys the TV show "How It's Made." That's totally appropriate for younger kids to watch. I don't know if it would keep your 5yr old's attention. It depends on the 5yr old. I think you can find a number of the shows on their website. So, you're not at the mercy of finding it on TV or recording it off TV.

Basically, I got pregnant and cracked my tailbone over the summer. I thought I could not get pregnant. That is what the doctors (plural) said! And so I took medications while pregnant before I knew I was pregnant. Now I am sitting here, about 21 weeks pregnant, and it hurts to sit! I started to feel better, but then, in the last couple weeks, I feel like my tailbone is spreading and back to really hurting. 

And then the college thing. That was an epic fail.

And half of what we have used for home school has been a fail too. 

So if I could go back to May 1, I would demand my daughter pick a different college. I would use different curriculum. I would not break my tailbone. I would probably still get pregnant, but it would be done without a broken tailbone.

There is nothing they can do, really, on their own. Almost all of DD's language arts are mom intensive, and she needs me to help her THOROUGHLY read her math assignments with her, and help her dissect any words she doesn't understand (this is part of the problem - I think our math isn't working, even though CLE has worked in the past with her; she was taught in a completely different manner in private school last year, and now CLE seems to just be confusing her, compared to the way she was taught last year - no clue where to go with that). DS5 has pretty significant fine motor delays, and needs to be guided to write anything, and obviously at his age, and with the programs we're using, he is completely mom intensive.

The only thing I may be able to do is have DD do memory work with her brother (they're combined in CCM). 

Then in that case, I would focus on (1) getting everyone healthy and (2) getting prepped for school, while having the kids work on:

• Chores
  • Healthy habits (self-care, respect, good attitudes, cooperation, taking care of each other)
  • Exercise
  • Handicrafts & art they can do on their own (and clean up on their own!)
  • Holiday prep
  • Audiobooks (Great Hall; Your Story Hour; Rabbit Ears)
  • Music listening (Cedarmont Kids and Wee Sing are great for your young ones)
  • Rest (everyone thoroughly rested when you begin, instead of run-down)
  • Math facts (MathFactPractice)

Your heart is obviously turned towards your children. They will be fine. I do hope you feel better soon. I'll be praying for you, your daughter, and your little guy. Only once have I had to describe my children as "fragile" -- back when we nearly lost our (then) three month old twins to pyloric stenosis. They came through fine, but reading "fragile" in your post took me back to that time and put things in perspective. As in, what would be more important in this season of life? Spelling or Little Guy's health? I know where my energy would go!

Yes, the dyslexic (but darling) teenager is throwing me for a loop. More than the dyslexia, her being away from home last year has caused more anguish, academically, than I had anticipated. She doesn't have one shred of confidence left after that God-awful year. Not one little bit. She very firmly believes she is incapable of learning anything, despite psych ed evals (and her parents, but ya know - we know nothing, lol) that say distinctly otherwise. 

I have no clue if it's the programs we're using that aren't working, or if she just needs a huge dose of "I can do it!". I feel like posting something like this in her notebook, but she'd roll her eyes, certainly (after she kisses me, because she sincerely is a darling):

"You are BRAVER than you believe, STRONGER than you seem, SMARTER than you think, and more LOVED than you will ever know."

I just read this and wanted to come back and encourage you to do exactly that.

Years ago, when I tutored some children who were discouraged from their "failures" at school, I had one rule, and it was posted in HUGE letters on the wall.

I will not say "I can't."

It was surprising, how many times the kids caught themselves about to say "can't" when they would look up, notice The Rule, and stop themselves. It showed them that I believed in them. It gave them a frame of reference for stubbornness -- just be too obstinate to give up.

You're doing more this year than teaching subjects -- reading, spelling, writing, math. You are building up your children, in every way a mother can. Personally, I would make the sign.

She may think it's corny, but she will adore you for it.