Menu

crud, crud, crud, I messed up big time, (update #29)

DawnM

UPDATE #29

UGH

Our trash cans are beyond full.  They are also extremely heavy as we are doing home renovations.  We live way up a gravel hill, on 2.5 acres of property, so there is NO WAY I can pull those trash cans back up the hill, I had to have DH take them down and he is now on a  business trip all week.

I forgot to pay the bill.  Well, it was more like my trash company transferred all of our services to another company and I got mixed up in who to pay and so now I show as a no pay.

They didn't pick up our trash today.  Both cans are filled to the brim and we have trash just sitting in the garage that need to go in a bin.

I am so angry at myself for neglecting to figure this out and dealing with it.

Dawn

Can you hire a dumpster? We found the pricing to be surprisingly affordable.

That's a really good idea! It would also give you a chance to do some major decluttering if there is stuff that's not even donation worthy.  

In our town, we're not allowed to put construction debris in with our regular trash. Either we get a dumpster or the contractor hauls it away for us. (Which drives me crazy because it's going into the same landfill! But they say it's because the contains get too heavy for the guys to handle.)

I don't think we need a dumpster, but even if we got one, it is too late for what is already out there that needs to be taken out.

I am hoping that they will come pick it up for an extra fee and I am gladly willing to pay whatever it is!  I am desperate.

Dawn

You've got a good plan.

Now you need to pause and ponder how *goid* life is -- that your version of "messing up big time" involves having too much trash for too long. It's no fun, but it's really *nice* that that's your definition of things being actually really messed up.

(Not trying to shame or belittle you -- I actually want you to pause and laugh and have a happy moment.)

I do know this is small in the grand scheme of life.  I was just so mad (at myself) when I realized my mistake.

You've got a good plan.

Now you need to pause and ponder how *goid* life is -- that your version of "messing up big time" involves having too much trash for too long. It's no fun, but it's really *nice* that that's your definition of things being actually really messed up.

(Not trying to shame or belittle you -- I actually want you to pause and laugh and have a happy moment.)

Thankfully we have no HOA to fine me for them being down there!

I finally figured out who our new trash pick up is after searching for quite a while last night.  

The website says they will not pick up any bins other than their own and if we need a new one we have to request directly from them.  

For some reason it does NOT say there is a limit to the number of bins, so maybe I need another one or two!

Dawn

Leave it down there. Pay the bill. Buy another bin.

That's how I'd cope.

Can you drive it to the dump yourself? When we forget to put the garbage or recycling out dh just puts it in the car and takes it to the dump himself. We have a dump sticker that costs maybe 5$ a year and is well worth it. That also allows him to bring other stuff that they don't pick up at the curb.

I should add that our garbage doesn't stink so it's no biggie to take it to the dump in the car.

We only put out actual garbage about once a month so it is easy to forget and let it get too full.

I can't lift it.  There is construction debris in there and it weighs over 100 pounds.

There is a place I can take just regular trash bags for .25 each but it is about 15 miles away.

I may have to do that though as I am out of options.  But I can only do it with the NEW trash in my garage, the bins will have to stay at the curb all week as I can't move them, they are too heavy.

Dawn

Another possibility.  Find out if your local dumping station will take trash.  Here they do.  They do charge, but it's not a lot of money.  Drive to the top of the hill, load the stuff into heavy duty garbage bags and go dump it.

Ok, called.  They took my payment, but say they will NOT come back out, even with an additional charge, they simply don't offer that.

She also said that they have moved to a ONE bin per week limit and if they think my load is too heavy or too much, they are only obligated to take ONE bin.

UGH.  We have so much garbage right now!

No, it is too heavy, I can't even wheel the container, much less tip it to get anything out.  

Ouch! I am sorry! Can you bundle everything in to bags or such and put them out as bulk when you get pick up straightened? Or drive everything to the dump?

But I can't get the stuff out of the bin that is down there!

It is far too heavy and I am 4'11" and can't reach to get stuff out of there without tipping it.

So, unless I can get them to do it FOR me, I am sunk.  I am only finding "you fill" dumpsters.

I wish the construction guys hadn't loaded one of the bins up.  In fact, according to the trash service, they WILL NOT pick up construction debris.

Hey, maybe I should tell the construction guys and see if they will move it for me.

Call a dumpster service. They usually have a smaller pickup option. Or one get one of the small bag dumpsters at Home Depot/Lowes. (Bagster is one company.)

Maybe, although they usually do work in their area and have made comments that I am "way far out" here! 

Hmmmm....I should ask around though.  I have heard of these sorts of people.  I had forgotten about them.

Dawn

The construction guys may know of a pickup company. The one we called after a move had a guy in a truck held together by rust show up and grab everything. :)

Dawn, you have children. Get them a shovel and a wheelbarrow. Seriously.

And order a dumpster. The weight requirements on regular cans being picked up can be crazy.  You are planning on moving....getting a dumpster and doing a house cleanout now is so much easier than a bazillion trips to goodwill or rationing out your trash for the next four months.  With the holidays coming, chances are that you are going to be keeping a full can most weeks anyway for the next six weeks.

We have used a service like 1800gotjunk to get rid of leftover construction stuff (and a bunch of junk). They also take lawn debris. The price was reasonable, the guys did all of the work and cleaned up (swept) when they were done. That might be an option.

Can you have your construction guys tKe future debris away (for a fee?).

Good luck.

Jodie

I don't think we need a dumpster, but even if we got one, it is too late for what is already out there that needs to be taken out.

I am hoping that they will come pick it up for an extra fee and I am gladly willing to pay whatever it is!  I am desperate.

Dawn

Can you just call and explain the misunderstanding? Perhaps you are not the only one who got confused by the change in accounting. If this were happening here, I can call and make a payment over the phone. Then they may either come and pick it up if it's on their route or they will at least pick it up at the next weekly scheduled pick up.

I did, at 9am when they opened.  She said NOPE, no exceptions for any reason.  They will come NEXT Monday.

She was a bit snotty about it too, said they have their route and can't possibly add the gas or time to fix a mistake I made.

Dawn

Can you just call and explain the misunderstanding? Perhaps you are not the only one who got confused by the change in accounting. If this were happening here, I can call and make a payment over the phone. Then they may either come and pick it up if it's on their route or they will at least pick it up at the next weekly scheduled pick up.

I did, at 9am when they opened.  She said NOPE, no exceptions for any reason.  They will come NEXT Monday.

She was a bit snotty about it too, said they have their route and can't possibly add the gas or time to fix a mistake I made.

Dawn

Very snotty and unhelpful! Will they at least let you put other bags next to the can and take those at the next pick up?

Ok, SOME help here!

Construction guys showed up today (they didn't come yesterday) and asked if they could bring the trash up to fill it.

I explained the situation and said that one of the bins is filled with construction debris and they won't collect it.  (I didn't mention that I didn't pay the bill!)

He said, "Oh, I am sorry, I will get bags and put it in there and haul it away.  I didn't know that was a restriction."

WHOOHOO!~  I at least will have an empty bin for our reg. trash.

Thank you all so much for listening to my little rant and freak out.

Dawn

I am glad it got taken care of!  

The construction guys should have known better, so I am glad they are the ones resolving it.

Here, if you bin is that heavy, they won't even take it. Construction debris isn't allowed unless it is under the weight restrictions of the normal garbage can, which is 60lbs here.  It isn't fair to the regular garbage guys to deal with a 100lb garbage can.   That would be like on person trying to pick up 2 50lb bags of dog food at one time and dump them into a garbage can.  Not nice!

When we moved this summer our trash wasn't being picked up.  It said online they had come, but it was still piled up out front.  We pay by the bag when the tiny container is full.  I didn't want to pay for the larger container since I knew our normal trash wouldn't be so much.  Finally the third week of them not picking up I went from being nice about it online and calling....and made it clear they needed to get this trash out of my garage...I couldn't have 3 weeks worth of trash plus moving trash any longer.  I put it out and someone came by at 7pm to get it.  no charge.  They can do things...if you can get someone to make it happen

They are taking it.

My husband had apparently told them they could use it! 

I would have a talk with construction guys again. My experience is that they are responsible for the trash they create as part of the construction.

I am glad it got taken care of!  

The construction guys should have known better, so I am glad they are the ones resolving it.

Here, if you bin is that heavy, they won't even take it. Construction debris isn't allowed unless it is under the weight restrictions of the normal garbage can, which is 60lbs here.  It isn't fair to the regular garbage guys to deal with a 100lb garbage can.   That would be like on person trying to pick up 2 50lb bags of dog food at one time and dump them into a garbage can.  Not nice!

We have garbage bins provided by the city that are bigger than a normal trash can. According to the city, they aren't supposed to weigh more than 75 lbs, but I would be willing to bet that they are often at least 100 lbs. BUT, our garbage guys don't lift the cans. The trucks have a mechanism for lifting the can and dumping it inside the truck. We have 3 cans-one for trash, one for recycling and one for yard waste.

Photo:

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/WHr3Ft5CkNQ/0.jpg

Just saying that not everyplace is the same in this regard. :)

OP: I know how you feel! Last summer my dh was gone and my son was hospitalized. I missed a "yard waste" day, which only comes every other week. My yard guys showed up on an off week because of a holiday and wound up tying everything up and stacking it beside the can. There was no way I could lift any of it. I called my yard guy and he took mercy on me and got rid of it all for me, whew. But, it was pretty stressful with everything else we had going on at the time.

We have garbage bins provided by the city that are bigger than a normal trash can. According to the city, they aren't supposed to weigh more than 75 lbs, but I would be willing to bet that they are often at least 100 lbs. BUT, our garbage guys don't lift the cans. The trucks have a mechanism for lifting the can and dumping it inside the truck. We have 3 cans-one for trash, one for recycling and one for yard waste.

Photo:

OP: I know how you feel! Last summer my dh was gone and my son was hospitalized. I missed a "yard waste" day, which only comes every other week. My yard guys showed up on an off week because of a holiday and wound up tying everything up and stacking it beside the can. There was no way I could lift any of it. I called my yard guy and he took mercy on me and got rid of it all for me, whew. But, it was pretty stressful with everything else we had going on at the time.

We have those for recycle, but in one of her posts she said she couldn't 'lift it' so I guess my mind decided that it was the traditional syle of garbage can that you have to lift and carry, not the cart style that the truck picks up.  

Yes, that is the size we have as well.

Our trucks lift too, but there are still restrictions.

For me, it was just easier to blame the weight and get the guys to haul away their debris!  

I think our trucks might pick up something heavier too if we put it out.

:laugh:

Photo: