Menu

How do you eat persimmons?

Renthead Mommy

We are east coasters. As in NY/NJer's.  While we have lived up and down the east coast, Texas, Okinawa and Ohio, I have never in my life seen a persimmon tree.  Until we moved to California and I had to ask the neighbor what exactly was growing on her tree.  They are ripening and she sent over a bag of home with my son, so I didn't get to see her and ask exactly how you eat them. So I am asking you all.  She said something about there being two kinds, but I don't remember which kind these are. They are a beautiful orange and they are firm and heavy. 

So how do you eat them? Slice them like tomatoes? Eat like apples? Do they have a core or pit or anything like that? I want to try them before I see her again, but just not sure how you go about it. 

Thanks.

Oh yummy!  Persimmons are my new favorite fruit.  

How to eat them depends on the variety.  If your neighbour sent them over by the bagful, I'd assume they are the Fuyu variety, and are squat, shaped like a tomato.   I eat them by cutting them into eighths, and then we eat the flesh off the skin.  You can eat the skin, but it is tough.  No need to core/seed them.

However, if they are heart-shaped, then they are the hachiya variety and they are very astringent and need to be super soft so as not to turn your mouth inside out when you try to eat it!

You never saw them in NJ?  I'm Asian so I see them every year in the Asian groceries.  I slice them into wedges after slicing the top off.  Here's a tutorial that I found. http://www.wikihow.com/Eat-a-Persimmon

Enjoy!  I remember being green with envy when I visited my aunt in So. CA and her tiny yard had so many different types of fruit trees.

Yes, the heart-shaped ones need to be pudding consistency before eating.

With the hard ones, it's fun to cut them latitudinally, so that you have a bunch of circles instead of wedges - they have a star shape in the middle. This is especially good for making a fancy holiday fruit plate.

They are more yellow/orange and shaped like a tomato.  We'll slice them up and try them at dinner.

Are they more yellow or more red? I've only had the more yellow version (sharon fruit) and have mostly used them like you would a tomato in salads or whatever.

They are more of a yellow orange.

Oh yummy!  Persimmons are my new favorite fruit.  

How to eat them depends on the variety.  If your neighbour sent them over by the bagful, I'd assume they are the Fuyu variety, and are squat, shaped like a tomato.   I eat them by cutting them into eighths, and then we eat the flesh off the skin.  You can eat the skin, but it is tough.  No need to core/seed them.

However, if they are heart-shaped, then they are the hachiya variety and they are very astringent and need to be super soft so as not to turn your mouth inside out when you try to eat it!

Yes, shaped like a tomato.

You never saw them in NJ?  I'm Asian so I see them every year in the Asian groceries.  I slice them into wedges after slicing the top off.  Here's a tutorial that I found. http://www.wikihow.com/Eat-a-Persimmon

Nope, at least never noticed them, but never really shopped in Asian grocery stores.   I'll check that out.  

There are 2 types - Fuyu and Hachia - the Fuyu is shaped like a tomato and can be peeled and eaten like an apple (some have seeds and some don't). But, the Hachiya ones are elongated in shape (like a bell pepper) and have to be overripe before eating because they are astringent when they are not ripe enough. I peel and eat both varieties. But, they can be baked into cakes, cookies etc. Ask your neighbor how to eat them, they might give you a few suggestions.

I love persimmons. My dad grows the soft kind. Those you do have to wait until they are super soft. You can make cookies or bread out of them, or just scoop up the flesh with a spoon. My favorite are the fuyu kind, which are the apple kind. We just cut them up and eat them fresh. You can dry the soft kind by peeling them, while they are still hard, but keep the little flower like stem on top. Then make a hanger around the stem and hang the whole fruit on dowels until they are dried, a couple of weeks. They will turn white, but that's just the sugar. Then slice them. They're really pretty sliced, because there is a pattern on the inside.

Did you all know that according to folklore the pattern inside a persimmon indicates what the upcoming winter weather will be?

Of course the persimmons have to be locally grown.

This article says:

The folklore says that a spoon pattern inside the seeds indicates there will be lots of snow to shovel, a fork pattern inside the seeds indicates the winter will be mild with good eating, and a knife pattern inside the seeds indicates the winter will be cold with cutting winds.

While this article says:

• If the kernel is spoon-shaped, lots of heavy, wet snow will fall. Spoon = shovel!
  • If it is fork-shaped, you can expect powdery, light snow and a mild winter.
  • If the kernel is knife-shaped, expect to be "cut" by icy, cutting winds.

So there's a small variation -- in one version a fork means a mild winter (no snow mentioned) and in the other a fork means a mild winter but with some powdery, light snow.

I've heard this all my life, but I've never paid any attention to whether or not the prediction was reliable. ;)