Menu

Countertop help

DawnM

Help me choose!  

66 members have voted

1. 1. Which one?

• White Pearl
    • Venetian Gold
    • other (just because, well, because it is the WTM Forum!)

Ok, so the guys are here ripping up our kitchen as I type.

Cabinets will be painted an off white.  Floor will be hardwood/oak.   Crown molding is oak colored.

So, would you go with a more white countertop to brighten the room or throw in some gold specks to bring out the flooring?

Here is what the white would look like (no gold)

http://www.houzz.com/photos/631497/Custom-painted-kitchen-with-oak-island-contemporary-kitchen-calgary

Here is more gold:

http://www.houzz.com/venetian-gold-granite

If the cabinets are off white, I'd go with the gold flecked countertop mostly because in the photo with the whiter countertop, the white cabinets coordinate so nicely.  I think white counter with off white cabinets might not blend as well.

Good luck with the whole process!

Many designers prefer that all horizontal surfaces have a similar color value. IOW, if the floors are dark, then go with dark counters; if the floors are light, go with light counters. I tend to agree.

If your cabinets are painted an off-white, warmer color, then it would seem to me that the marble counters would be too white.

I'm not a big fan of that speckled granite. I like the marble, but my color eye wants the cabinets to be a cooler color to harmonize with them, rather than a warmer color.

Thanks.  I will post a pic when it is done.  I have a before pic on  here somewhere but will repost when all is done.

We are doing this to SELL the house, so I won't have it for long.....hahaha

Dawn

I say the venetian gold as it would go well with your cabinets and the wood floors.

Whee, I am excited for you; it is going to look great! :hurray:

Since you are selling, then I would go with white. Cleaner, brighter, and possibly more classic. I've been to a number of open houses recently with beautiful, remodeled kitchens (occupants moved out, then proceeded to remodel) and so far I've noticed two colors, dark gray or white. They've all sold above asking price. Not that that was due to the countertop - just an observation.

Thanks.  I will post a pic when it is done.  I have a before pic on  here somewhere but will repost when all is done.

We are doing this to SELL the house, so I won't have it for long.....hahaha

Dawn

yes, please post pictures.

I'd go with the white (first picture) because it looks like it has a little grey in it.  I have gold flecked granite counters and I hate the yellow tone. 

If this is your forever house, choose whatever color you want.

If you're going to put this house on the market in the next five years, choose the white one. The gold was the trend about 5 years ago and is starting to look dated to those with an eye on trends.  The one that looks like marble but is easy to clean is the new look to emulate.

Design is one thing - daily use is another. I opt for the venetian gold, or a similar strongly speckled surface.

We use the kitchen daily to cook and bake and eat, and I want crumbs and stains to be less noticeable.

ETA: If you're selling, it will depend on the mindset of the buyer: does she focus on the white spotless kitchen, or does she imagine how her counters realistically look during daily use.

If you're going to put this house on the market in the next five years, choose the white one. The gold was the trend about 5 years ago and is starting to look dated to those with an eye on trends.  The one that looks like marble but is easy to clean is the new look to emulate.

I don't know that I have an eye on trends, but I think you're right: that speckled look *is* dated. Or maybe it just became trite, because it was used so much. I'm guessing it is less expensive than the marble, which might be why more people had it.

I vote gold  because you don't know who is going to buy the house. A young family might see the white countertops and think they'll be a nightmare to keep clean.   Ours are much more like the second example you provided and it's amazing how they look perfectly clean even when they're not. 

I prefer quartz but since I am selling and granite is about half the price, we are going with granite. Most of our area is granite.

What do you like?

I dislike granite in general, especially that "flecked" look, so I much prefer the first option. It will look far less cluttered and provide a cohesive, calm effect to the whole room.

I prefer quartz but since I am selling and granite is about half the price, we are going with granite. Most of our area is granite.

What do you like?

I'm not Colleen, but I feel the same way.  I prefer soapstone, marble, or butcher block.  But I don't mind maintenance and I like things to look classic and not too trendy.  Not everyone is that way.

What do you like?

I'm a euro-style minimalist.  I intended to go with Paperstone; it's a sustainable composite product, and this particular company is based here in WA state.  I couldn't track down anyone north of Seattle who had experience installing it & didn't want to be the guinea pig.  But I've seen it installed elsewhere, and I love the look, the feel, and the very flat finish.  

After looking into various other options, I ultimately opted for Caesarstone quartz in Ginger.  I was concerned it would be too shiny for me, but it's fairly low-key and blends really nicely with everything else.