Menu

In one sentence--What is the goal of your homeschool?

I'm trying to narrow my thoughts down enough to get it into one sentence. It's not working all that well--so I thought I'd ask for help from the hive. :)

TIA

To give my children an actual excuse for their therapy when they are older.

:tongue_smilie:

Our name and motto is: Litten Lamm Academy - Raising Little Lambs to Follow Jesus.

If I do nothing else in this life, I hope to model and teach my children the love of Jesus Christ.

SURVIVAL!

Okay, not really...but some days it seems like it. Our goal for school is the same for life...teach them to follow Jesus. If I get them to Harvard but fail to get them to Heaven...well...I've failed. If I get them to heaven but somehow fall short of the SAT scores necessary for Harvard...that's okay. At least their souls are secure for eternity.

To send out into the world a young adult of good character who is inquisitive, thoughtful and articulate.

Really the rest of it -- the educational feathers in their caps -- is all gravy. Taking 10 AP courses, having perfect SAT scores and getting into Harvard isn't going to make them better people. The values my dh and I instill in them before they are 18 is what counts.

I'm trying to narrow my thoughts down enough to get it into one sentence. It's not working all that well--so I thought I'd ask for help from the hive. :)

TIA

The goal of our homeschool is to give my kids an education that's grounded in Christianity and to instill in them a love for learning.

A couple of you mention only raising your children to love God, or "get them to heaven" as your goal for homeschooling.

Do you believe that

1) Homeschooling is the only way to raise Christian children?

and

2) Those who do not homeschool are not capable of raising Christian children?

If you could not meet their academic needs, would you homeschool anyway, or would you send them to school and trust that God will protect and guide them despite the change of environment?

I'm genuinely curious as to this line of thinking.

Our goal is to cultivate wisdom and virtue in our children by nourishing their souls on goodness, truth and beauty, so that they may better glorify God and enjoy Him forever and learn to love that which is worth loving.

**Shamelessly plundered from the Circe Institute and Westminster Academy in Memphis.

A couple of you mention only raising your children to love God, or "get them to heaven" as your goal for homeschooling.

Do you believe that

and

If you could not meet their academic needs, would you homeschool anyway, or would you send them to school and trust that God will protect and guide them despite the change of environment?

For myself, I'll answer no to both of your questions. Though to meet my specific goals, I have a hard time not imagining at least choosing a private, classical Christian school if we didn't homeschool. I can't see that public school would accomplish *our* vision for education. But I've known many parents who have indeed raised godly children who attended secular schools (public and private). I'll add that I would probably choose a secular classical school over a non-classical Christian school though, because I think the content of a traditional classical education would still train the soul more than a modern Christian school that looks like the public school in content with a Bible class attached.

Just kidding. Sort of.:tongue_smilie: My goal is to educate my children, in both mind and spirit, and ignite in them a desire to self-educate throughout their lives. But that'd be my goal even if I didn't homeschool. Which is why I often don't understand people's "goal" in homeschooling. One can strive for those goals regardless of whether a child is in school or not. On the other hand, regularly skiing when the masses are in school requires opting out of the system altogether. LOL

There it is, in a word.

My goal is for my sons to be free: free from institutionalized life, free from busy work, free from mass indoctrination (of ideas, yes, but also of habits and attitudes); free to know how to design their own lives, to think, to spend time on what is worthwhile, to explore, to develop.

Of course, I also have specific educational goals and character goals; however, "freedom" is probably the real point of our homeschooling.

Christy, just because we have something as a stated goal doesn't mean we're saying it's the ONLY way to get there. My philosophical statement happens to be very similar to what I think many christian schools and universities would say. In fact, it's pretty much a scaled down version of BJU's statement. I would have those goals no matter how I was schooling, and how other people get there is none of my business.

Ok, just for everyone's trivia, I pulled up BJU's mission statement. "Within the cultural and academic soil of liberal arts education, Bob Jones University exists to grow Christlike character that is scripturally disciplined, others-serving, God-loving, Christ-proclaiming, and focused above."

Do you believe that

and

I think any Christian home schooling has a different reason. So my answers are for our family. No flames please.

No, home school is not the only way to raise Christians. I do personally think raising them in an environment without the outside world's pressures will give them the ability to truly understand their faith and how to live it when ready to go out into the world. Even home schooling my children are exposed to ideas we do not approve of and they have to constantly ask themselves what is right and what is wrong. Immersed in that environment would truly cause stress on a child IMO. So for us, home schooling is a way to build a solid foundation of their faith before taking on the world.

As for those who do not home school and hope to raise Christian kids...well I could say a lot ;) but want to refrain to avoid the tomatos, lol. My experience with personal friends who put their children in the public school hoping they will keep their Christian views are experiencing difficulty in that endeavour. From K on their children come home wanting material goods from tv/movies that until that moment were not acceptable. In order to avoid whining these friends find themselves letting down their guard and allowing questionable media into their lives. The hate it, yet doing nothing to stop it. To avoid kids whining they give in. Kid learns to like inappropriate media and that whining about it gets them whatever they want. Since I have friends with kids in the schools and I get to hear them gripe about their kids' choices, friends, delimma's I feel ok to say that the argument about being the light in the darkness is wrong for young children. These same parents are home but send their children out into horrible places!

It is sad to me that these same parents want nothing to do with home schooling. They could do it. They chose not to. And the kids suffer. Eventually the parents suffer. And all the things they thought their children would stand up to and say no, well, it now fills their homes and it's acceptable. There are reasons to let your children grow up a little before sending them to the world. If they have little understanding of their faith then they can't defend it, nor do they want to be different in the crowd.

I personally think having our children home allows us to help them learn to make wise choices. Just this weekend we were given a bag of clothes. Most had stuff on them that are media related and not appropriate for my 5 year old. She told the cousin thank you but then said, the bad stuff is going away, lol. My 5 year old understands what is ok and what is not for her. I want my kids to be able to make wise choices. I think having them in an environment where they can question right vs wrong is beneficial for their future.

again, this is my personal opinions. I know we stand out. Heck, I walked out of VBS b/c of wordly actions. We choose to avoid the wordly influences. it's our choice. Every Christian decides how close to walk to Jesus and the biblical truth. We are out in the world, but we choose how much of that world our children are exposed to. Sure, they pick up bad things everywhere, including church, but they are also able to choose right from wrong and why it's wrong to God.

I feel convicted to live this life for our family. Each has to make their path and feel peace with it.

Do you believe that

and

It doesn't follow that because the goal of our homeschooling is raising Godly children that we think it is the only way to do so. There is a difference between a goal and a reason.

That said, I personally feel it is *easier* to raise Godly dc in a homeschooling environment, simply because of the time available to disciple them; but I know Godly children who go to public school and I know homeschoolers who don's spend time with their dc, so there are exceptions obviously.

Do you believe that

No, but I think in most cases it is the best way.

No, but I think homeschooling is the better way.

I would homeschool them anyway (there are ways to get help in various academic areas), because academics, while very, very high on my list of priorities, isn't my *highest* priority. Their souls are my highest priority. It isn't a matter of not trusting God. It is a matter of trusting God as I make use of what I think is the best means to raise my children before Him.

And one would have to define "academic needs." This varies from family to family. According to some standards, I probably can't meet their academic needs. But according to our standards, I can. Does that make sense? :)

Christy, just because we have something as a stated goal doesn't mean we're saying it's the ONLY way to get there. My philosophical statement happens to be very similar to what I think many christian schools and universities would say. In fact, it's pretty much a scaled down version of BJU's statement. I would have those goals no matter how I was schooling, and how other people get there is none of my business.

Ok, just for everyone's trivia, I pulled up BJU's mission statement. "Within the cultural and academic soil of liberal arts education, Bob Jones University exists to grow Christlike character that is scripturally disciplined, others-serving, God-loving, Christ-proclaiming, and focused above."

Wow! I love that mission statement....in my heart that is my greatest desire for my children. Thank you for that bit of trivia. I'm going to write that one down.:)

There it is, in a word.

My goal is for my sons to be free: free from institutionalized life, free from busy work, free from mass indoctrination (of ideas, yes, but also of habits and attitudes); free to know how to design their own lives, to think, to spend time on what is worthwhile, to explore, to develop.

Of course, I also have specific educational goals and character goals; however, "freedom" is probably the real point of our homeschooling.

Wow, good word. I was going to say, "to allow my kids to grow and develop unencumbered by scrutiny or anyone's prejudices regarding their strengths, weaknesses, or personality traits." But "Freedom" is so much better.

Barb

I would homeschool them anyway (there are ways to get help in various academic areas), because academics, while very, very high on my list of priorities, isn't my *highest* priority. Their souls are my highest priority. It isn't a matter of not trusting God. It is a matter of trusting God as I make use of what I think is the best means to raise my children before Him.

:iagree: Could not have said better myself.

Wow, good word. I was going to say, "to allow my kids to grow and develop unencumbered by scrutiny or anyone's prejudices regarding their strengths, weaknesses, or personality traits." But "Freedom" is so much better.

Barb

I agree. This is very much what I was going to say.

To allow us freedom to do what is best for our children.

There it is, in a word.

:iagree::iagree: (and just for good measure) :iagree:

Mama Lynx said everything I wanted to and much better than I could.

To embody within my children a sense of honor, to engender courage, the courage to stand up for what is right (whatever the odds) and to admit when they are wrong, to develop fairness and respect, to teach patriotism and love of God and country and to do so through example and a classical education; to make my children better than I am.

To guide them to become good, decent, hard-working, responsible, loving, and intelligent human beings.:001_smile:

My hope is that they go onto college, good marriages and happy family life that they are independent, financially capable of living within their means and that they are able to follow their dreams.