Menu

What number is best to first teach skip counting with?

My friend had a book (that she can now not find) that showed the sequence that you should introduce skip counting numbers. She believes that the first one is 9 and then from there... who knows. 

Does anyone know anything about this?

I'd love to know the sequence, since we're starting tomorrow. I would buy the book, too, if anyone knows what it might be.

Thanks!

Yes, I agree to start with 10's, then 5, 2 (do even and odd) and go on from there. 

We got several blank 100 number charts and colored in all of the 10's on one, all of the 5's on the next, the even's, the odd's and so on. Then I use those 100 charts when I'm first teaching the skip counting. It makes a great visual to go along with the song or chant. I used a different colored sharpie on each hundred chart. 

Lisa

Hmm. We learn 10s first, basically as soon as they mastered counting to 20 and were beginning place value.

Next counting by 5s along with time, and by 2s along with "even, odd".

Then I suppose we did by 25s when we got to money, lol.

The rest I'll introduce with multiplication, which we aren't quite to yet.

I have done with one child and am teaching another this currently. I am pretty sure I introduced the idea through MEP, which starts with 2, 5 and 10 as a group, then 3, then 4, then the rest in some order, and the book How Many Seeds in a Pumpkin, which uses (as I recall) 2, 5 and 10. MEP also has introduced odds and evens so the 2s are easy. Not really sure what makes skip counting by 9s easy, so I wouldn't do that personally.

I'm not familiar with the book your friend mentioned. My kids generally learn 2s first because we do a lot of "life" counting by 2s. 10s are probably next.

5s are probably next, but some kids have had more trouble with those than others. I'm pretty sure our math curriculum adds 25s next because of money and it is usually a struggle.

I'm not sure when they do 3s & 4s.

My dd#3 was mad at me for a long time for not explicitly teaching her how to skip count by 6s, 7s, and 8s.

10, 5, 2,

Then 15 and 25. Maybe add 100 and 1000 etc for place value

10, 5 and 25 are important with money in the US.

5 and 15 are important with time.

Time and money are usually covered before multiplication.

I think 4 is easier than 3 if they have mastered 2s. And then 3, 6, 7,8,9,11,12

We learned counting by 2's as toddlers going up the steps (I would swing them up so they'd skip a step). Otherwise we do 10's, then 5's, then 2's to a higher number (then what stairs allowed), 3's, 4's, 6's, 7's, 8's, and 9's.

10's are always the easiest because it's the same as counting only with a zero at the end. I use the number board to help them see with the 10's lined up on the right side. 5's is great for a second because again, the pattern of ending numbers is easy.

I really like to make sure the kids are seeing the patterns in number counting. It makes it easier for them to divide later on.

I don't really bother with 25's because one only needs to be able to count 4 of those and you have as much as you need for a dollar. All of my kids picked up on that one pretty easy. Wasn't really worth spending a bunch of extra time on.