Menu

S/O Chili Recipes…with/without beans, beef, turkey, vegan, you name it...

umsami

You knew it was coming, didn't you?

I'd love to find a good recipe for vegetarian chili that my kids would eat.

I'd also love to know your favorite sides/recipes too.  We usually just do Jiffy cornbread from the mix or Fritos….but I need to track down a GF cornbread recipe/mix.

So, post your favorite chili recipes.  Even if you serve it on top of spaghetti or rice.  Beans/no beans…there's no shame here.

http://www.food.com/recipe/better-homes-and-gardens-easy-chili-350382

My tweaks:  I double the recipe, I add a cup of frozen, thawed corn kernels and 2 tbsp each of cocoa and brown sugar.

Lately I've been using crushed tomatoes rather than the diced and doubling the amount of tomato sauce (after doubling the recipe already).

I used to use 1 can kidney beans and 1 can black beans.  Now I'm anti-bean (simply for digestive and carb purposes) and so are most of the kids (for taste reasons), so I've been leaving the beans out (though then dh isn't happy, so sometimes I open a can of beans and add them to his separately)

Eta, I was originally pointed to this BH&G recipe by a vegetarian friend who either uses some sort of fake ground beef (soy?  I wasn't paying attention) or leaves it out entirely.  She was pretty happy with it.

I don't have a vegetarian recipe, but I have a basic chili recipe that goes over very well in our house, where there are no bean lovers. 

3 lbs hamburger

1 can tomato juice

2 cans tomato sauce

celery

onion

4 tablespoons chili powder. 

brown the hamburger with the diced onion and celery, combine with the other ingredients, and simmer. You can season this any way you want, but it's a really yummy, very basic chili recipe! Kid friendly too. 

Mine will be controversial; I cook it in a crockpot. :P

2-4 cans of fire roasted diced tomatoes

One medium onion finely minced

One medium sweet potato peeled and finely chopped (you can also use regular potato or a combo)

2-4 cups of beans (dried works, rinsed canned works, black, pinto, kidney.....a combo of them......I use whatever I have on hand.)

2-4 spoonfuls of tomato paste

Enough water to cover, more if the beans are dried

Add chili powder, cumin, onion powder, and minced garlic to taste

This can also have bell pepper, corn, carrots, spinach added. (It is definitely a clean out the fridge/pantry type of dish!)

We eat it with cornbread, crackers, or I like to put the leftovers over rice.

You could also add meat if you wanted. I am just so happy to have a meat free meal my picky eater will chow down on that I hate to lose it as a meat free option.

My favorite chili recipe I got from my mom. It's kind of an interesting recipe with some different ingredients, but it is easily the best chili I've ever eaten. The first time I put the can of chili beans in it, but now I don't because I REALLY don't like beans in chili. My dh likes it both ways. Also you can use turkey instead of beef and it tastes great.

2 pounds hamburger meat

1 small onion

1 bell pepper

1 tsp. cilantro

1/2 tsp. cumin

2 packages of chili seasoning mix (or enough to use with two pounds of meat)

16 oz. can tomato sauce

16 oz. can petite diced tomatoes

1 can beef broth

1 can Coke

16 oz. can Bush chili beans (I bought mild)

10 oz. can of refried beans (I could only find 14 oz. cans, so I just used 2/3 of the can.)

Directions:

Cook the hamburger, onion, and bell pepper until the meat is browned and the vegetables are soft in a large pot or Dutch oven. Drain the meat mixture. Add the seasonings, tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, beef broth, and Coke. Bring to a boil. Stir in the chili beans and refried beans.  Reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes to an hour.

This is the only chili I make (or eat) since we have chili allergy in the family. Technically it's not even chili (no chili(s)/powder in it) but the recipe book that I adapted it from said chili, so that's what I go with.

1 lb ground beef

1 lb ground pork sausage

1 large onion, chopped

8 oz sliced mushrooms

28 oz can diced or crushed tomatoes

2T maple syrup or molasses

2 tsp ground cumin

2 tsp sage

1/2 tsp pepper

1 tsp salt

2 (or more) cans navy beans, drained and rinsed

In a large soup kettle, cook beef, sausage, onion, and mushrooms. Spoon off excess fat and stir in remaining ingredients. Simmer 20 minutes. Serve with sour cream, shredded cheddar, and corn bread or chips. Serves 8-10.

This freezes well. I generally quadruple the recipe (except for the meat which is tripled).

Once I won two categories in a chili cookoff with "Indian chili."  It was really dal with coconut milk, but that's probably not what you're looking for. :)

No, we love dal…and our recipe doesn't have coconut milk. :)

Post away!  Plus, it's award-winning…so you have to!

Here's the link to the award-winning one. ;)  The onions make all the difference.

This one is really easy and the one I usually make:

Dal with Coconut Milk

1 c red lentils
5 c water

1 T oil
1 T minced garlic
2 T minced shallots
Lots of crushed red pepper
1 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp salt
1 c coconut milk

Boil the lentils in a large pot in the 5 cups water till they're soft, then keep warm. Heat a pan over high heat and add the oil, then add the garlic and shallots and stir-fry for a minute. Add the rest of the spices and cook 2 more minutes, then add the salt and coconut milk, lower the heat, and cook 5 minutes. Add the spice/coconut milk mixture to the hot lentils and simmer a couple of minutes.

I don't have a veg chili recipe, but I do make GF cornbread! It's not vegan though, if that's a concern. And it's really sweet, which I hear is blasphemous to certain regional tastes. I can call it "cake" though and DS4 will eat it.

Cream 1/4 c. butter (or Earth Balance if DF) with 2/3 c. sugar. Mix in 4 eggs, 1 1/3 c. milk (we use almond milk), and 1/2 c. honey.

Whisk together 2 1/3 c. GF all-purpose flour (I make my own with rice flours, tapioca starch, potato starch, and xanthan gum, so anything that looks similar to that would work), 1 1/2 Tbsp. baking powder, 1/2 tsp. salt (or is it 1 tsp? I halve the recipe so often I can't remember), and 1/2 c. cornmeal. Mix with the wet ingredients, then pour into a greased 9x13 baking dish or two cast iron skillets.

Bake at 375 degrees until sides and top start to brown and a toothpick comes out clean, about 40ish minutes. The original not-GF recipe said 400 degrees, but I could never get it to bake through without burning at that temp.

Last weekend I cut the honey, upped the salt a bit, and added a can of diced green chiles to use as a casserole topping. That turned out well too.

Ok, adding one more: http://weelicious.com/2011/02/01/four-bean-chili/

I sub in 32 oz of beef stock for the tomato juice and then add two small cans of tomato juice (I think they are 5.5 oz each). I also add two carrots chopped or shredded and two zucchini chopped or shredded. I have made this with beef, turkey, and no meat at all. I also always throw in a can of chick peas, either instead of one of the beans or in addition to.

Very mild and kid friendly - great over rice (my favorite way to serve it) but also cornbread, baked potato or pasta. Also, crockpot not necessary - an hour on the stove top works well, too.

I'm experimenting with a low-sodium chili today (dh now needs to watch sodium). I started with a pound of dried pinto beans, soaked overnight, cooked this morning with 1/4 onion diced. Added 1 lb hamburger (not vegetarian obviously!) browned with the rest of the onion diced, 3 little red chilis from the garden in tiny dice, 4 cloves minced garlic, some garlic powder and onion powder. Put it in crockpot with 2 cans no-salt diced tomatoes, 1 can no-salt tomato sauce. Added smoked paprika, chili powder, cumin, basil, oregano, 1/4 tsp. salt. It's cooking away now--about 1300 mg Na total in the pot, which is at least 2 dinners for the family. Maybe 100 mg Na per serving. It takes a little time to get used to a way-less-salty taste, but it's low enough in sodium for dh's goal to add a little cheese and fritos.

Well, I am not a cook. I take three quarts of home canned tomatoes and run them through the blender. Dump in pot. Open up a couple of pints of home canned beans - one each of kidneys, and one of pintos - dump. I put in lb. of browned ground beef. I then add only a tiny bit of chili powder and don't really measure...I'd say maybe a half tsp or at most a tsp. We make it as comfort food so not spicey. I then add some garlic to taste followed by some onion powder, followed by a lot of cumin. We really like cumin. I add until it tastes right to me.

Then after it's simmered for an hour, we eat it with sour cream and parmesan.

Now much of a recipe! :D

Not vegetarian, but it is low carb and has lots of veggies in it. Plus, there's a "surprise" ingredient. Really, you don't actually taste it, but it makes the chili so smooth and creamy. My kids still don't know it's in there. Here's the link: http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/sausage_pumpkin_chili.html **My responses to her notes: I actually like the sausage in it. Also, I brown the green pepper with the sausage and onions, so it's not crunchy. This is a family favorite!

Not vegetarian, but it is low carb and has lots of veggies in it. Plus, there's a "surprise" ingredient. Really, you don't actually taste it, but it makes the chili so smooth and creamy. My kids still don't know it's in there. Here's the link: http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/sausage_pumpkin_chili.html **My responses to her notes: I actually like the sausage in it. Also, I brown the green pepper with the sausage and onions, so it's not crunchy. This is a family favorite!

That looks good! Here is my new chili recipe, since we quit eating beans. (I am from TX, and I don't know what everybody is confused about; if there are beans in chili, they should be red kidney beans. Anyhoo.)

Saute to soften:

2 T. olive oil

1 large onion, chopped

6 cloves garlic, crushed

Add and brown:

20 oz. ground turkey

Add and simmer until the potatoes are soft, 20-30 minutes:

2 T. chili powder

1 t. ground cumin

1 large orange sweet potato, diced

1 large (29 oz) can crushed tomatoes

1 t. coarse salt, more after tasting it at the end

This is the best I've ever made.

When I make vegetarian chili, I tend to saute mushrooms, onions, bell peppers, and squash or zucchini with garlic and salt. Then I add canned tomatoes and rinshed beans and a nice scoop of tomato paste. Usually black beans. And then I add cumin, red pepper, black pepper, chili powder, more cumin, more salt... And I hope for the best. And it's usually pretty good.

For awhile, dh was eating mostly vegetarian and I'd make a big batch of veggie and a big batch of meat. Dh would eat the veggie, the kids and I would eat the meat. And then I would toss them together for freezing for anyone who wanted it as a later meal.

You know, I have to add... I've come to not believe in chili recipes. I've been making chili a lot more in the last few years and I have decided it's a bit like stir fry - it's for whatever the heck you have in your pantry, fridge and freezer that you can fit into it.

Chili

3 bats skinned and cleaned

2 teaspoons of dried owl flakes

2 cups of dried seeds from a locust tree

2 chili peppers

2 jalapeno peppers

6 cups of water preferably water from Lake Victoria

Maslaa spice to taste

Mix all ingredients together. Put in your crock pot and let simmer for 5-6 hours.  The longer it simmers the better it tastes. :)

We like it every which way. A few days ago I cooked a pound of red kidney beans in the crockpot all day. Then I removed 2/3 of them for other meals and added 1/2 lbs ground beef browned with onions and garlic and a can of diced tomatoes. I threw in a McCormicks hot chili packet and a few chipotle peppers in adobo sauce. I also added salt and pepper. I serve it over cornbread or baked potatoes with shredded cheese, sour cream, and chives to top it off.

I've also been known to make chicken chili with white beans or cincinatti chili served over spaghetti.