Menu

If I like Doc Martin and Call the Midwife, what else might I enjoy on Netflix?

Tiramisu

I just learned that Doc Martin is no longer on Netflix, well, maybe the movies, Legend of the Cloutie, but no episodes.  :sad: Doesn't Netflix suggest things for you based on what you've viewed?

I've never seen it, but The Bletchley Circle is on my list. Me? I'd watch Broadchurch all day (on Couch Tuner) before watching Gracepoint tonight on FOX. We don't have cable/dish/antenna, so unless I can watch Gracepoint online, I won't see it. I say this after having posted twice here today about Broadchurch's being superior.

And you ARE up on Sherlock, right????

I just learned that Doc Martin is no longer on Netflix, well, maybe the movies, Legend of the Cloutie, but no episodes.  :sad: Doesn't Netflix suggest things for you based on what you've viewed?

I've never seen it, but The Bletchley Circle is on my list. Me? I'd watch Broadchurch all day (on Couch Tuner) before watching Gracepoint tonight on FOX. We don't have cable/dish/antenna, so unless I can watch Gracepoint online, I won't see it. I say this after having posted twice here today about Broadchurch's being superior.

And you ARE up on Sherlock, right????

It just might be time for Sherlock. :)

What is Couch Tuner?

It just might be time for Sherlock. :)

What is Couch Tuner?

Heads up: my suggestions aren't kid-friendly either. 

Here is a link to Broadchurch on Couch Tuner. I do NOT pay to watch on this site, I never download or give CC info, OK? I wait till I see the little gray X over the screen, click that X, and wait for the play button (forget which is good: red or blue, b/c one opens a new window and asks for my CC info, and one plays the show) to appear. 

Also, see the little tabs above the video? If one is jumpy or has sub-titles, you just click on another tab for another source. The tabs read AllMyV, VSpot, VK, Sockshare, etc.

I didn't think I could watch a sad show about a child, but the acting is so good (and there is NO WAY the American version cast actors who will do the roles of Beth and Ellie justice, b/c they didn't cast the ones from the British version!) and the story is so intriguing, that I got sucked in. 

Now you know. It might not be your style, and is NOT funny like Doc Martin, but I still liked it very much. 

If you want something somewhat family friendly what about ballykissangel? I'm not sure I spelled it right...darn tablet. Hamish Macbeth is wonderful fun, but may not be on netflix.

For a nice miniseries...how about Our Mutual Friend. Lovely adaptation of Dickens.

Good luck...hope everyone is feeling better soon

I don't have Netflix but we loved Foyle's War. They're more like serial period mysteries with the same characters. Really well done and great acting. . 

The Bletchley Circle was also a good period mystery (post WW2 Britain) with intelligent, driven female characters. 

If you like period medical dramas London Hospital and Bramwell do BBC medical dramas in the East End (1906 and 1895, respectively). Not as cutely positive as Call the Midwife, but interesting. 

Well I accidentally gave your thread two stars as I was opening it.  Sorry about that--no disparagement intended.

I also love Call the Midwife, but have discovered Lark Rise to Candleford on Amazon Prime.  It is 100% family friendly, but there is no action, as my 10 year old complains.  Exactly, I say.

If you want action and something not so family-friendly, Longmire is a series about a modern-day Wyoming sheriff that my husband and I both adore.  I don't even remember how I found it--cruising Netflix, probably.  It was recently cancelled after three seasons (before I ever even had a chance to watch it on real TV), but there is some hope that another network will pick it up.  A lot of the regular characters are played by actors from my childhood and teen years.  Lou Diamond Phillips is the title character's best friend Henry Standing Bear; Gerald McRaney plays the father of Longmire's opposition in the upcoming election; and there are others who pop in from time to time and will have you running off to Google to figure out who that was.  The situations are not terribly realistic, or at least, having them come up that often isn't, but we still like it.  And also, my husband can watch it with me without having to turn in his man card although, if pressed, he will begrudgingly admit to liking Lark Rise as well.

Rosemary and Thyme (gardening detectives)

Pie in the Sky (chef detective)

Jonathan Creek (detective who lives in a windmill)

Ballykissangel (Irish pub owner & priest)

Foyle's War, as PPs have recommended

some episodes might not be suitable for children

ETA: We got all of these series from Netflix (discs); I don't know if they're available for streaming ...

Well I accidentally gave your thread two stars as I was opening it. Sorry about that--no disparagement intended.

I've done that twice now, on other threads. So frustrating, and there doesn't seem to be a way to change your rating or undo it ... I didn't think to post in the thread, though, and 'fess up - good idea. :)

Don't watch Whitechapel with young kids!!!!!!!!! Its about serial killers.

Heartbeat is nice. Its set in a small Yorkshire village in the 1960's. There are about 4,000 episodes. Its mostly pretty tame. Older kids may be bored ridged, but young ones should like it.

I don't know if you can get Sea Change, a fabulous, quirky Australian series. Well worth watching. Similar style to Doc Martin.

Silk is fabulous. Teens and above.

Spooks is great, but again, only for much older kids. There are some graphic, violent scenes, one in particular in the first episode. Similarly, the Lakes and anything else by Jimmy McGovern: harrowing, fabulous, thought provoking. The Street is his best, IMO. Adults only : its pretty confronting.

Skins is great for older teens: lots of real life issues like suicide, drug use and sex.

If you have insomnia, or a lot of ironing to do, you could try Midsummer Murders. Its a seemingly endless series, set in beautiful country villages, where at least 50% of the population must have been killed off by now. Someone must enjoy watching it because its always on our national broadcaster. I suspect its my MIL.......

Have you watched Cranford and North and South?

D

We liked 'Hustle' too - it's very clever! Possibly not suitable for children though - it's been awhile, and while I know it's not violent or graphic, I can't remember the language and I think there were some other references as well :blushing: Depends on what your okay with kids watching, really.

I am loving The Paradise, but Netfix only has S1.  Why?  The other shows I like have already been listed.  We've watched a few episodes of Whitechapel, and it's okay, but it's not something I just want to binge on for hours.   ;)

Season 2 of The Paradise is currently airing on PBS Masterpiece, so it won't be on Netflix for a while. There are only two seasons, as it got canceled.