Menu

I need books to occupy my time for 4 weeks - help!

AimeeM

I'll caveat by saying that I like fluff :)

Series I enjoy are JD Robb's "In Death" series, and I'm forcing myself to hold off on buying the latest until right before my surgery (otherwise I *will* read it before, lol), and Dan Brown (I do need to catch up on the last two), James Patterson's "Alex Cross" series (I have the newest, but I actually need to go buy a couple more published right before that one, because I missed them). <----- The mentioned several books that I plan to read will only take up about a week for me, since I'll be able to do little else.

Knowing that I like those "types" of books, anyone have other good recs for me?

Start a series with a lot of books in it that can be read in sub-series--such as Dragonlance, Forgotten Realms, Star Wars expanded universe, etc. Read the original works, then branch off however you like.

The " is more common in Fantasy/Scifi series, but I'm sure there are other genres with that same option.

For spy/thriller check out Olen Steinhauer's Milo Weaver series (starts with The Tourist)

for a fun sci/fi adventure The Martian by Andy Weir

for really great historical romance written by amazingly smart & funny women: Eloisa James (she's a Harvard, Oxford and Yale grad & Shakespeare prof in her other life)  & Courtney Milan (she has a graduate degree in chemistry and then became a lawyer).  Also Jo Beverly...

for fun (often military style) contemporary romantic suspense, Suzanne Brockmann's old Tall Dark & Dangerous series. Nobody did navy seals like she did.
I quite like her troubleshooters series too.

for contemporary romance &/or suspense I look for Linda Howard, Susan Elizabeth Phillips, Lisa Kleypas, Lori Foster.

Haven't read that one yet, but I definitely enjoy Le Carre's novels.

Slightly OT.... Idnib, did you see the movie? Quite well done & I'd recommend it.

I did see the movie, mostly because of Philip Seymour Hoffman. That made me want to read the book. It's actually my first Le Carre novel.  :)

You might consider Ashley Gardner's Captain Lacey regency mysteries.  The first one is free to Kindle readers. 

The Hanover Square Affair (Captain Lacey Regency Mysteries Book 1)

Or Laura Florand's fun and fluffy contemporary romance series, Amour et Chocolat.  The first of that series is also free to Kindle readers.

The Chocolate Touch (Amour et Chocolat)

Regards,

Kareni

Kareni and I are the Laura Florand cheerleaders of WTM :D The first book linked above is good but not the best of the series. Our library system holds some of the books, but I've been buying them for my kindle on release day because I love them so much!

Julie James writes lawyer/FBI books featuring strong and intelligent women. Her dialogue is always witty. Her more recent books (she published one a year) are more, ahem, adult than the first.

I also suggest Shannon Stacey and Rachel Gibson. Both authors write interrelated characters but the books can be read as standalones instead of in a series order.

Try Julia Spencer-Fleming. I just found her books this year and whipped through all of them. Now I'm annoyed to have to wait for the next one. The two main characters are a small-town sheriff and the new female pastor in town, and there is a good mix of mystery and romance (can't say more about that without spoilers). Love them!

Have you read the Diane Mott Davidson catering mysteries? There are ton of them, and they are lighthearted and fun.

If you have a kindle, google "Amazon top 100 free books" and they have a list of 100 books that are free each day.  I end up wading through most of them as they aren't my taste at all in books but I have found a lot of great gems for free.........and if I think I might like it but don't, I just hit delete and it only took a few minutes of my time.

You can even click on the left on that page to find the top 100 in various subcategories as well.  Some books are great, others just OK, and a few duds but since I bought my kindle almost 2 years ago I have spent less than $10 on books and rarely use the library anymore for real books.

Louise Penny's Inspector Gamache series starting with Still Life.  I really enjoyed Julia Spencer-Fleming's series, too.  In the Bleak Midwinter starts it out.

C.J. Box's Joe Pickett series, starting with Open Season.  I love the Mary Russell/Sherlock Holmes series by Laurie R. King, starting with The Beekeeper's Apprentice, although I've drifted away from it after book 9 or so.

If you're OK with some supernatural, The Parasol Protectorate series by Gail Carriger kept me reading straight through!  Soulless is number one.  :)  An oldie but goodie is Elizabeth Peters' Amelia Peabody series, starting with Crocodile on the Sandbank.

The entire Harry Bosch series by Michael Connelly is excellent!  I own them all.  The Black Echo is first.

*Edited to add that I liked the Shakespeare series and the Aurora Teagarden series both by Charlaine Harris! Both are quick, fluffy, mystery fun.  lol