Menu

Cheese and Pickles, Pickles and Cheese, Gimme Gimme Some of That Sandwich Please!

poppy

There is a kid show where a character sings about her love of pickle and cheese sandwiches. I thought she was just being eccentric.

Now I see a reference to eating a pickle and cheese sandwich in a Robert Galbraith (JK Rowling) book.

Is this a thing? An English thing?

A German neighbor once made me what has become one of my favorite (low carb) snacks - pickle wraps.  A thin slice of ham (not honey ham) spread with some cream cheese and wrapped around a dill pickle.  Mmmmmmm. 

Don't know about a German thing, but this was a finger-food at nearly every wedding and shower of my childhood (sliced into bite sized spirals). :D  My aunt & I used to eat them by the dozen when we would fix them for parties...my favorite!

I'm familiar with the full English breakfast, but are the beans and toast served alone?

Yes, they do. Grilled cheese with "brown sauce" is another common thing. I watched a lot of British TV when we lived in Germany. I should note that TV makes up the majority of my experience with the culture (other than a short visit). ;)

My grandmother was from Ireland. My mother complained about eating bean sandwiches as a child. I wonder if this is what she was talking about?

It sounds good to me :)

Maybe? Have you actually tried these exact beans? They are sort of...ketchupy? Kind of like beans in spaghettio sauce.

My grandmother was from Ireland. My mother complained about eating bean sandwiches as a child. I wonder if this is what she was talking about?

My mom talked about eating pork-n-bean sandwiches when she was growing up. This was in Hawaii and the beans were Van Camp's. It didn't sound good to me even though I often ate the beans over rice. Maybe it's more of a texture than taste thing for me. I don't like wet bread. I'm glad she never served us bean sandwiches.

Are they sweet or sour?

Now I want to try one....

It's not a single pickle, it's actually a chutney. Dark in color, sweet and sour and it's plopped on with a spoon. Nothing at all like baked beans. Which, incidentally, as well as being eaten on heavily buttered toast (this was a staple growing up) are also eaten on jacket potatoes aka baked potatoes. I've never had the latter, way too heavy, but popular where we were.

I happen to have some Branston pickle. It' a chutney. The ingredients are onions, carrots, rutabega, cauliflower, marrow, gherkins, sugar, vinegar, salt, chopped dates, corn starch, tomato paste, caramel color, spices, lemon juice....

Very different than what Americans think of as pickles. My uncle sent me Branston pickle, a regular jar, a squeezable small chunk pickle and a squeezable smooth pickle which is all blended together into a sort of paste.

I happen to have some Branston pickle. It' a chutney. The ingredients are onions, carrots, rutabega, cauliflower, marrow, gherkins, sugar, vinegar, salt, chopped dates, corn starch, tomato paste, caramel color, spices, lemon juice....

Very different than what Americans think of as pickles. My uncle sent me Branston pickle, a regular jar, a squeezable small chunk pickle and a squeezable smooth pickle which is all blended together into a sort of paste.

So, you are saying that "a pickle" is similar to saying "a chutney?" What do you call actual individual pickles (genuinely curious)?

It sounds like giardiniera. My mother and grandmother canned a LOT of vegetables. They liked to pickle things too. We ate pickled cucumbers, okra, even eggs. I don't associate pickling only with dill cucumber pickles, but I know people who do. I'm not sure their mothers preserved food.

I love cheese and pickles.  Sharp cheddar and a bread and butter pickle.  Dills will do in a pinch.  I eat them without the bread since bread doesn't like me.  I probably eat it 4-5 a week.

Yes!  Sharp cheddar and bread and butter pickles!  I haven't had them in forever.  Everyone in my family heckles me when I eat them.  I'm definitely putting these ingredients on my grocery list!

So, you are saying that "a pickle" is similar to saying "a chutney?" What do you call actual individual pickles (genuinely curious)?

Hmm, yes it's singular...Branston pickle rather than pickles and yes it's a chutney. For individual sour pickles these can't be beat...once you've tried them you can't go back.

Same goes for their bread and butter pickles...

I call actual pickles, pickles but chutney isn't really a pickle to me. It's a chutney. Clear as mud? :lol:

It sounds like giardiniera. My mother and grandmother canned a LOT of vegetables. They liked to pickle things too. We ate pickled cucumbers, okra, even eggs. I don't associate pickling only with dill cucumber pickles, but I know people who do. I'm not sure their mothers preserved food.

I am from Oklahoma. I am definitely familiar with pickled okra, pickled jalapeños and carrots and so forth. But, we don't call any of those things "a pickle."

I actually don't know.:/ I think gherkins or pickled cucumbers.

"A pickle" I think would be one particular pickled object and the brown stuff that is like chutney and is in jar is just pickle. Though I always thought it was pickles. I grew up mostly in the US so usually when I discuss pickles I am talking cucumbers. I need to ask my mother because now I just need to know.

I'm familiar with the full English breakfast, but are the beans and toast served alone?

Beans on toast can be a full meal for breakfast, lunch, or "tea " (dinner) . When I was little we only ate tea which was often beans on toast. We switched to eating dinner when we came to the States and that was also often beans on toast but of course the beans are different here.

I am from Oklahoma. I am definitely familiar with pickled okra, pickled jalapeños and carrots and so forth. But, we don't call any of those things "a pickle."

The only thing I call "a pickle" is a single dill pickle OR a calamity of some sort. "Pickles" covers everything else you preserve in vinegar or brine. Don't tell my mother, but I don't really care for bread and butter pickles, or any sweet pickles for that matter. I even buy dill relish. Mom didn't even know they made dill relish until she saw it at my house.