Menu

What are your favorites (lower elementary)?

TyraTooters

I'm still trying to narrow down what we'll eventually use. I have few favorites picked out that I think I'm set on a few things but I can't stop looking around and window shopping!

So what are tour favorites for (not listed in any certain order and will not be done all at the same time!);

Writing

Handwriting

Phonics

Reading

Math

Grammar

Spelling

Bible

History

Geography

Science

Art

Music

Writing: no idea - can't figure this one out myself.
Handwriting:  HWOT (I guess, but I feel its the best of the worst and can't find anything better).
Phonics: OPGtTR
Reading: OPGtTR
Math: CLE or Saxon, depends on kid
Grammar: Rod and Staff
Spelling: Rod and Staff 
Bible: can't find one I like :-( 
History:  SOTW for cost effective, MFW otherwise
Geography: I just like cheap workbooks and games for this 
Science:  Ugh - no idea here either - but we love lap books!! 
Art: Usbourne Famous Painting Cards
Music: ???? 

Favorites around here:

Writing: WWE 1-2 for first and second. BW and CAP W&R for 3+

Handwriting: HWOT for pre-K - 1st copywork after that and Zaner Bloser for cursive

Phonics: AAR

Reading: sonlight readers

Math: Math Mammoth

Grammar: FLL 1-3, verdict is still out in 4...

Spelling: AAS 1-4 starting in first, followed by R&S 4+

Bible: Bible Study Guide for All Ages

History: after much trial and error we seem to have found the sweet spot for us: Veritas Press History as a spine with Sonlight readers and read alouds with hands on notebooking

Geography: nothing we have loved yet

Science: no love here either...

Art: Draw Write Now and Mark Kistler

Music: piano lessons

Handwriting
pentime

Phonics
aar (starting at level 1), leapfrog for letter sounds

Reading
various

Math

singapore

Grammar
haven't found one I'm in love with but will be using mct in conjunction with something?

Spelling

aas

Bible
we have our regular Bible we read from but my husband also bought a comic book style bible that my kids LOVE reading!

Geography
geopuzzles, wall map, internet etc... I haven't found a book I'm in love with

Science
apologia modified...I don't follow their beliefs but love how easy it is to use.

Music

both kids will be starting piano..no specific curriculum since it will be very basic

I don't have favorites for all of them, but here's the ones I have:

Handwriting: StartWrite software so I can make my own worksheets related to other stuff we are doing.

Phonics/Reading: we used Bob Books, then switched to library books. She didn't need a full-fledged curriculum so we didn't use one.

Math: RightStart Math

Science: Building Foundations of Scientific Understanding. We supplement with Science in a Nutshell kits. I also love using The Private Eye, which is a fascinating hybrid of nature study, art, and language.

Art: Artistic Pursuits

Writing - we really like the Just Write first grade books for a fun intro to writing

Handwriting - If we weren't using CLE, which includes penmanship, we'd definitely use Pentime

Phonics - Dancing Bears worked wonders here

Math - BJU and CLE

Grammar - we just started with CLE and like its gentle spiral

Spelling - R&S, Apples & Pears

Writing: Copywork, Treasured Conversations ;)

Handwriting: I teach my kids directly through their copywork while sitting beside them while they are little.

Phonics:  Sing, Spell, Read, Write

Reading: SWRW

Math: Horizons, Hands on Equations

Grammar: taught via copywork

Spelling: How to Teach Spelling

History: We read books.

Science: We read books.

I'm thinking early-early elementary here:

Writing: Copywork, dictation and just letting them write little stories (if they want)
Handwriting: Handwriting without Tears
Phonics: I have a really old boxed set of Hooked on Phonics K-2nd grade reading that I've used with all my kids.  I don't even know if they make it anymore.  I also really like Ordinary Parents' Guide to Teaching Reading
Math: Miquon 
Spelling: All About Spelling 
Bible: The Beginner's Bible 
History: Story of the World (but I don't start this until they're about 8) 
Science: More Mudpies to Magnets, Janice Van Cleave books 

Writing: Copywork, Draw Write Now

Handwriting: Handwriting without Tears

Phonics: AAR, Classical Phonics, SRA Phonics 1, Read, Write, Type, Rewards Intermediate

Reading: Sonlight Readers for Grades K-3

Math: Miquon, Singapore Standards, Hands on Equations, Zacarro books

Grammar: The Sentence Family, FLL 1 & 2, MCT for 3+

Spelling: AAS

Bible: Never found something I love here, best was probably Leading Little Ones to God

History: Story of the World

Geography: Story of the World, Geopuzzles, Sequence States & Capitals, Stack the States & Countries, Barefoot Atlas

Science: GEMS Science units, Intellego units, Supercharged Science

Art: Artistic Pursuits

Music: Instrument lessons

Writing - We just started CAP's Writing and Rhetoric for third this week after 2 years of WWE.  As of now, I think we will continue this route

Handwriting - Pentime because I love the style

Phonics - We love SSRW, but I know Abeka has solid phonics for the early years as well.

Reading - SSRW and then independent reading

Math - Saxon, but we just switched to Abeka for early years for math with second son because he wanted colorful worksheets.  One thing I like about Abeka is the solid knowledge of math facts.  So far, one thing I don't like is all their special visuals you need.  I like Saxon's scripted teacher's manual more, but it can be a little too repetitive in the early years.  However, I liked the K book for preschool.  Plan to use Saxon for upper grades.

Grammar - We love Shurley Grammar for early years, but we plan to switch to Michael Clay Thompson next year.  If I couldn't use these, I'd probably look at Rod and Staff based on reviews.

Spelling - I am fortunate to have a natural speller.  We went through McGuffey's speller last year, but he wanted a workbook this year, so I got him one.

Bible - We are starting God's Great Covenant this year and then very excited to do Summit/Apologia's Who is God series.

History - SOTW, and then we are planning to transition to Tapestry of Grace.  But for the first 4 years, SOTW has everything you need when you get the Activity Guide.

Geography - It is combined with history, but we bought some workbooks called Maps, Charts and Graphs that go into teaching all sorts of things about how maps work.

Science - Going to try Elemental Science this year, but I can't give feedback yet.  This is my toughie.

Art - Discovering Great Artists has some fun projects that tie into history and art appreciation.  Going to try Artistic Pursuits this year.

Music - music lessons and classical music appreciation with Dad.

Writing: Bravewriter, CAP W & R

Handwriting: HWOT

Phonics: Progressive Phonics

Reading: lots of good books, nothing specific

Math: MEP Reception, RightStart A & B, Singapore, Beast Academy

Bible: n/a

Grammar: Sentence Family, Grammar Land, MCT

History: SOTW, Usborne Encyclopedia, living books

Geography: incorporated with history + ideas from The Core

Science: BFSU, GEMS units, nature study

Art: Art Lab books

Music: choir

I'm still trying to narrow down what we'll eventually use. I have few favorites picked out that I think I'm set on a few things but I can't stop looking around and window shopping!

So what are tour favorites for (not listed in any certain order and will not be done all at the same time!);

Writing: English Lessons Through Literature Levels 1 and 2, then move to Writing and Rhetoric by CAP

Handwriting: Getty-Dubay Italics, New American Cursive by Memoria Press

Phonics: Logic of English Foundations

Reading: Emerging Readers list from Heart of Dakota after finishing a phonics program

Math: Math in Focus, MEP, Miquon

Grammar: English Lessons Through Literature, The Sentence Family

Spelling: Apples and Pears

Bible: Bible Study Guide for All Ages

History: Beautiful Feet Early American History and homemade history using All Through the Ages

Geography: Beginning Geography workbook

Science: Sassafras Science, Read and Let's Find Out books, The Bernstein Bears' Big Book of Science and Nature.

Art: Home Art Studio

My answers are in red.

Writing. I like FLL 1/2 w/o the workbook. We do the copywork n dictation for writing. Then I tend to use Classical Writing.

Handwriting. Handwriting skills Simplified

Phonics. Alpha phonics, Bob Books, Letter Factory DVD , wWord Factory DVD , n Doodling Dragons book from Logic Of English.

Reading. No reading program. Books at or below reading level. This year I am going to help my slow reader with lots of joint read alouds n Reading Detective SW.

Math. Singapore Math, RS math games, lots if early work with the RS abacus, this year focusing on math facts

Grammar. FLL 1/2, Clasical Writing grammar with or without Rod n Staff English.

Spelling. Did not like early levels of Rod N staff spelling so we went back to How to Teach Spelling.

Bible. We just read n discuss with dad. Starting Primary Bible Reader this year.

History. SOTW, TOG. (But prob not using anything this year). Might take some time to learn about our town, county, n state.

Geography. SOTW, TOG. (But prob not using anything this year). Might take some time to learn about our town, county, n state.

Science. No favorites. Trying NOEO chem this year. Have used Real Science for Kids also.

Art. Draw Squad, Drawing with Children, n some parts do Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain.

Music. Classical kids CDs

This is fun! Now that I about have things figured out for elementary here, we're nearly entering the middle years. I'll be starting lost again!

Writing

Early, if you really want to use something, WWE orally and/or with the parent writing it down for the child, depending on the level

about  3rd grade, depending on the child  http://www.amazon.com/Most-Wonderful-Writing-Lessons-Grades/dp/0590873040 is fantastic for narrative writing instruction

After that foundation, CAP Writing and Rhetoric Fable

Then: CAP Narrative I w/Treasured Conversations

Handwriting

Handwriting Without Tears

Phonics

Progressive Phonics (free to print online) is fantastic. I used the first two levels of I See Sam first, and they were great to start. They can be printed free too.

Reading

After the above, we just read regular books. We started with books used in Heart of Dakota's early reading levels. When my boys were 4th grade, I wanted to work a little more directly on multi-syllable words. I used Elizabeth B's (on here) free  word division exercises and followed with this phonics and word study book

Math

I think the early levels of RightStart provide an excellent foundation. C rods work well with any math curriculum, and education unboxed is a great resource for those. After RightStart C finished introducing subtraction, I switched. We eventually landed on Math in Focus, and I've been happy with it. Oh, Singapore publishes a Process Skills and Problem Solving series for word problems that is fantastic.

Grammar

I really like the grammar portions of MCT. I started grammar in 3rd grade fwiw.

Spelling

I don't do spelling until reading is going very well. We ended up with Apples and Pears, which has made a decent speller out of a struggler, and been good for my natural speller too. It is writing heavy, so not for younger grades.

Bible

I like Telling God's Story. Going through the Jesus Storybook bible is great too.

History

Story of the World with the activity guide

Geography

I use Core Knowledge lesson plans for this

Science

Magic School Bus videos, and you can find little experiments to go with online. Side note: Make history, science, geography, etc. fun at the early ages. Cultivate interest and enjoyment above all else.

Art

Come Look With Me books are nice for art appreciation if you can get them through a library or similar. Scholastic had a book How To Teach Art to Children that seemed good and doable.

Music

I think lessons or a choir is probably the best way to do this if you aren't inclined yourself.

Core Knowledge lesson plans have some nice lessons for appreciation and exposure.

Loving all these!! Thanks for playing along so far and keep them coming! I'm writing all these down. I just can't decide between a few and it's killing me. I'm just so torn!! Too many choices. I get set on one thing and then something makes me change my mind. I'm not good at making decisions so this is incredibly hard for me. I love that my husband trusts me with these decisions but sometimes this is when I wish he would weigh in! 

Writing: Road to Writing Golden Books, Writers Apprentice. 

Handwriting: Getty Dubay (we skip A and B and start right in with C)

Phonics: don't do this except as part of spelling

Reading: real books.  Read to, read with. 

Math: Miquon, Life of Fred, Dreambox, Xtra Math

Grammar: Grammarland.  MCT for fun

Spelling: All About Spelling

Bible: n/a

History: reading lots of books.  Building a timeline as thing come up.  Projects around topics of interest.  Horrible Histories (books and DVDs)

Geography: Discovering the World of Geography, real maps and google maps games.

Science: Magic School Bus, Suzy's World, Ellen McHenry, Mr Q

Art: Artventure

Music: outsourced lessons, Lina Ng books for theory

Writing  Essentials in Writing : http://www.essentialsinwriting.com 

Handwriting  Zaner-Bloser: http://www.zaner-bloser.com

Phonics Adventures in Phonics (with readers): http://www.shopchristianliberty.com  also sold at CBD

Reading Local Library

Math Liberty Mathematics (Christian Liberty Press), or Christian Light, by 3rd or 4th grade we switch to Teaching Textbooks: http://teachingtextbooks.com

Grammar Language Fundamentals (Evan-Moor)

Spelling Spelling Workout (Modern Curriculum Press)

Bible  Bible Storybook (we used the one published by MFW for 1st grade)

History Adventures in America (can be stretched over two years by adding History Pockets/library books - this is what we did for 2nd & 3rd): http://www.elementalhistory.com

Geography Evan-Moor Beginning Geography (1st grade) along with DK Children Just Like Me, The Complete Book of Animals (American Education Publishing), and Around the World in 80 Tales.  After 1st grade, we use: Evan-Moor Daily Geography

Science We use textbooks and course plans purchased through Kolbe Academy : http://www.kolbe.org  and Young Scientist Club Kits (can be purchased inexpensively through Amazon).

Art Artistic Pursuits : http://www.artisticpursuits.com

Music The Story of the Incredible Orchestra by Bruce Koscielniak, and  Music CDs purchased through MFW

Writing: WWE (we are in book 1 right now, but my DD is enjoying it and I feel she is improving)

Handwriting: Rhythm of Handwriting (from LOE)

Phonics: LOE Foundations

Math: Horizons

Grammar: FLL

Bible: still trying to find one we like. As of right now, we are just reading from the bible every night. I plan on trying God's Great Covenant next year.

History: story of the World

Science: Elemental Science! We are loving it so far.

Writing - Journal, copywork, & a daily writing block (using Writers Inc as a reference)

Handwriting - Handwriting without Tears

Phonics - Reading Reflex

Reading - Bob Books followed by lots of real books

Math - Singapore Math

Grammar - We wait until 4th to start formal grammar.

Spelling - Solid phonics, followed by studying the words my kids actually misspell along with lists of the most common words.

History - We choose a spine and read lots of real books along with it.

Geography - We bought a globe and a good atlas; then we look places up when they are in the news or we read about them in history.

Science - We choose a spine and read lots of real books along with it; then we visit our local zoo, aquarium, & science museum

Art - Artistic Pursuits

Music - piano lessons

Writing  SWR
Handwriting  SWR W/ CURSIVE FIRST
Phonics SWR

Spelling SWR 

Reading SWR
Grammar SWR

Math  MIQUON (We also love CSMP, but having used it for 4 years, I must warn you that, as far as I can tell, it is only worth it if you have a highly verbal student who is a reluctant writer, as it is very teacher-intensive.)

History SOTW/TOG

Geography SOTW/TOG

Science BFSU

Writing: WWE 1-3

Handwriting: Zaner-Bloser Manuscript

Phonics: Dancing Bears or The Writing Road to Reading

Reading: Books. I make up my own lists based on ones from SL or Ambleside Online and other such sites. 

Math: Rightstart

Grammar: nothing for early elementary. FLL4 about 4th grade, or MCT

Spelling: Apples & Pears

History: A Child's History of the World or Story of the World

Geography: Galloping the Globe

Science: various kits and library books. I never found a program I loved for early elementary.

Art: Atelier or Meet the Masters

Music: Discoveries in Music, Kinderbach

Writing, Handwriting, Phonics - ETC and copywork or maybe Jot It Down (BraveWriter), and then later look at Treasured Conversations by 8filtheheart (3rd grade?).  OR Writing Skills work book level A (2nd - 4th grade)

Reading - during the phonics period, add great read alouds - Lots of lists available for these.  After phonics - Use Step into readers, etc. until you gain fluency, then eventually require 30 minutes per day from "shelf" or "basket" of good books.  Elson Readers are also good.

Math - Math Mammoth if they are good at math.  CLE if they need more "spiral" review.

Grammar - FLL if you only have one or two children and you like it.  Otherwise wait until they are older. 

Spelling - If you only have a couple children, use AAS.  If you have more use SWO and hope for the best.

Bible - just read from the Children's Golden Bible

History - I like Ambleside Online.  If you don't, use SOTW.  Easy to use, kids like it, color a map.  Done.  Or you could do online self-paced from Veritas Press.  Depends on your goals.

Geography - SOTW, color a map, done.  No need to make this difficult.  3Rs are important, geography in the context of history is fun and easy.  Or when they're a little older, let them play Civilization, lol. 

Science - Do we have to?  okay, fine.  Go outside.  Draw things.  Read scientist biographies.  If I only had one or two young ones and I wanted more to do, I would use Science in the Beginning from Jay Wile.

Art - Draw Write Now.  Artist Study (Ambleside Online).

Music -  Play lots of classical music.  See Ambleside Online - composer study.  Love music yourself.  Play it for them.  Repeat.  Sing a lot.  Pay for piano lessons or violin, if you must. 

• 2 weeks later...

Writing

IEW A, WWS, CAP Fable

Handwriting

MP American Cursive, Draw Write Now

Phonics

Doodling Dragons, LOE APP, Funnix,  1OO EZ Lessons

Reading

Rocket Reader Bible, Abeka Bridge Book,  BJU LEVEL 3 w/ flip chart & 6, Usborne books, picture books

Math

Right Start, TT

Grammar

Grammar Songs, LLTL,  MCT

Spelling

LOE

Bible

Beginners Bible, Golden BIBLE, Beginners Bible movies 

History

SOTW, MOH 3, Layers of Learning, WORLD magazine for current events

Geography

Geography Songs,  CC Memory work, Maps and Globes, Minn of Mississippi

Science

Hands on (outdoors), Apologia Anatomy, Story of Science (Joy Hakim)

Art

Drawing with Children, Ed Emberly books, Atelier Art level 4

Music

Tin whistle, Piano lessons, Guitar lessons, Choir, Dover coloring, Peter and the Wolf, Classical composers cd's, Attend Symphony and Musicals

Writing--I don't start writing instruction until 4th grade, except for narration and copy work.  But nothing "formal".  I have my son starting with Wordsmith, Evan-Moore Daily 6-Trait writing, and/or The Wordcraft series (apprentice, etc.).  It's been fun.  My daughter (older) has done some Killgallon and that has helped her a lot. 

Handwriting--I've done a A Reason for Handwriting for both kids, then I transition to Abeka's for my struggling one who needs consistent practice.

Phonics--I've loved Alpha Phonics and Phonics Pathways, both simple and straightforward and it works. 

Reading--Writing Road to Reading for Phonograms, this leads into spelling

Math--Depends on the kid.  My oldest has thrived with Math-U-See and my youngest did well starting out with CLE Math and is now using Critical Thinking Company's Mathematical Reasoning and Teaching Textbooks.

Grammar--I struggle with this one.  We have done MCT, which I like somewhat but I struggle getting it done, and R&S which is good but I hate teaching it.  It works though. 

Spelling--struggling speller--Writing Road to Reading, AAS (slow but good program, can't stand to teach it though), Megawords for Syllabication and now Phonics Zoo (this one is finally what she needs).  For natural speller, I've been using Sequential Spelling, it so easy and he gets it (he can't stand workbooks either).

Bible--We have used all sorts of different things including Awana, Leading Little Ones to God, Apologia's Who is God?, and Bible studies from Precepts Ministries.  The most important has been having them read the Bible and write down something from what they read.

History--For youngers I've finally landed on SOTW with Activity Guide and for the olders I've done a mismatch of resources based on the the 4 yr rotation (MOH, Guerber/Miller Histories, Lapbooking, historical fiction, etc.)  I'm considering Notgrass for American History next year.

Geography--usually in conjunction with HIstory, but I have used Legends and Leagues, an Exploring countries curriculum, Trail Guides to World Geography

Science--A mishmash of stuff, God's Design for Heaven and Earth, this year we're doing Apologia's Human Anatomy.

Art--I want to start Artistic Pursuits in connection with Harmony Fine Arts in a couple weeks. 

Music--Piano lessons to start with, listening to composers and classical music.  I'm looking for something for Theory--Breezin' Thru Theory perhaps.

i feel like we've finally "got it". for my oldest at least. the only part of school she dreads is math and i honestly believe that curriculum doesn't matter for her. it's a mindset thing. anyway, we're using:

fll

lively latin

sotw

r&s spelling

scholastic handwriting/cursive

ellen mchenry's the elements

how to study the bible for kids

beethoven who

how to teach art to children

simply charlotte mason's visit to... geography series

the only thing not really set is writing, but she's taking a once a week iew class at co-op.

she also does logic countdown, waker uppers, reading comprehension, map skills, 365 days of nature play, global studies, and the healthy kids cookbook.

my youngers are doing:

math mammoth and cuisenaire rod idea book

phonics pathways

etc

you can read from 1+1+1=1

song school latin

fll

and most of the extras listed above