Menu

What programs teach grammar and writing together?

mo2

Killgallon does, though they're not really full programs.

I didn't see an age or grade? A fairly sturdy 7th-8th grader could probably start Stewart English. (It's a TWTM recommendation for high school level that needs a get it done grammar.) Book 1 is mostly grammar, book 2 covers grammar concepts and pushes them right into writing, and book 3 is more writing focused. The exercise sentences are taken from good literature like LOTR, Crichton, HP, classics, and such.

Both are secular.

I used Classical Writing Primer with a 7 yo who was in 2nd grade. It could be used in 1st grade with a student who was a strong reader and could write well.

Here is the scope and sequence, and here are is the page that describes the program, you purchase the workbooks through lulu.com. All you really need are the workbooks, though they do have free downloads available for the picture study.

The books also include nature study lessons, they only take a few minutes and are easily skipped. I also usually skipped the picture study, we were already using a different program for picture study.

Primary Language Lessons by Emma Serl also incorporates writing, grammar, poetry, recitation and picture study. Most people spread it out over 2nd and 3rd grade, though you could easily finish it in one year. Of course it is vintage, and it is used by a lot of CMers, so it may not be your cup of tea. But it is available free online if you want to have a look, there is also a free teacher's key here. It is also in print. It is usually followed by Intermediate Language Lessons by the same author in 4th and 5th grade, it is also available free online or in print with a teacher's guide available. There is also a workbook format of these books created by a homeschooler you can purchase as pdfs here, and there are also modern revised editions of these books available here.

I have really grown to love PLL and ILL, after years of thiking that they just weren't enough I've come to appreciate how effective their simple approach really is. Of course you can also search the boards for other vintage programs, many of the older books integrate writing and grammar.

My ds7 is enjoying Essentials in Writing. Watch a 3 minute or so video lesson do the exercise. The first half of the year is grammar and the second half is applying what you have learned in the writing lessons. It is $50 a level but the workbook is pdf so it is easily reused.

8Fill's new curric, so I'm reading in the thread. :)

Yep, Treasured Conversations.  Grammar and sentence/paragraph/one-paragraph report writing, all in one shiny package!  It's awesome for ~3rd grade and up.

I actually just stumbled on the thread today and was thinking it looks rather amazing.  Did either of you happen to read my other thread about writing for my dyslexic 12yo?  She is way behind in writing, and I wonder if TC could help us fill in some gaps and get us ready for something else.  Any thoughts?

Also, for the younger set, would this maybe work as a bridge between WWE and WWS? 

I actually just stumbled on the thread today and was thinking it looks rather amazing.  Did either of you happen to read my other thread about writing for my dyslexic 12yo?  She is way behind in writing, and I wonder if TC could help us fill in some gaps and get us ready for something else.  Any thoughts?

Also, for the younger set, would this maybe work as a bridge between WWE and WWS? 

Yes, and yes.

I think it would be a good way to fill in gaps for an older - it covers skills typically mastered in the 3rd-5th grades, but it is not childish or dumbed down at all - the sentences are complex and the stories are interesting.  There are a number of stories about animals, and children having adventures, things that appeal more to youngers, but it is by no means talking down to a kid - I don't think a 12 yo who had things to learn from the program would feel talked down to.

And yes, I think it bridges essential skills between WWE & WWS.  WWE covers - ad nauseum - summarizing & dictation, but it doesn't explicitly teach paragraphing.  WWS devotes a few pages to paragraphing and then assumes the kid has got it down and can use it.  TC explicitly teaches how to construct paragraphs, systematically.

Yes, and yes.

I think it would be a good way to fill in gaps for an older - it covers skills typically mastered in the 3rd-5th grades, but it is not childish or dumbed down at all - the sentences are complex and the stories are interesting.  There are a number of stories about animals, and children having adventures, things that appeal more to youngers, but it is by no means talking down to a kid - I don't think a 12 yo who had things to learn from the program would feel talked down to.

And yes, I think it bridges essential skills between WWE & WWS.  WWE covers - ad nauseum - summarizing & dictation, but it doesn't explicitly teach paragraphing.  WWS devotes a few pages to paragraphing and then assumes the kid has got it down and can use it.  TC explicitly teaches how to construct paragraphs, systematically.

Thank you, thank you, thank you.  I can't wait to have it in my hands.  I have been losing so much sleep worrying over my 12yo.  

We use Winter Promise Language Arts which has writing & grammar in it. Makes me think, in the earlier portions {I'm thinking of their 4th grade option for instance} of WWE/WWS where you read something & write down ideas about what you read in sequential order. Then the next week you work on forming them into a paragraph. Pretty gentle & non rushed which I like. There is no sentence diagramming which is the biggest reason we went with it. That & a couple of years are mysteries to solve throughout the year which my kids think is cool.

We use Winter Promise Language Arts which has writing & grammar in it. Makes me think, in the earlier portions {I'm thinking of their 4th grade option for instance} of WWE/WWS where you read something & write down ideas about what you read in sequential order. Then the next week you work on forming them into a paragraph. Pretty gentle & non rushed which I like. There is no sentence diagramming which is the biggest reason we went with it. That & a couple of years are mysteries to solve throughout the year which my kids think is cool.

Is this secular, or is there religious content?  Thanks.

MCT does.  I personally think you can use FLL without WWE as here are exercises included.  SWB says to eliminate the writing in FLL if you're doing WWE, but I don't see why you couldn't just use FLL.  Shurley does, but the writing is weak, IMO.  I use Shurley grammar and CAP.  Your bigger Christian publishers like A Beka and Bob Jones have a complete program.  I think LLATL does too, but I am not sure.