Menu

Article: Real vs Fake Persecution CC

It does sound like you love in a fairly bigoted part of the country. Sorry to hear that. 'My Catholic friend ' is just plain rude.

I live in a part of the country that is very bigoted against Catholics.  There's a megachurch here that apparently actively promotes the bigotry, because you can't be in a room for five minutes with someone from this church without hearing them rant about how disgusted they are by Catholics.  The non-Catholic Christian population here is mostly white and middle class.  The Catholic population has a lot more poor and Latino.  So I don't know how much the bigotry is motivated by religion, and how much of it is motivated by racism and classism, but the result is still bigotry.

• Replies 901
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The article is taking about Christianity..... I'm sure many many many denominations could nitpick the points. Every denomination , honestly. If you honestly think it's as alienating to be a Catholic as it is to be Buddhist or Hindu or Muslim, I don't know what to say to that.

One, the question was these things mean I am privileged. I am simply pointing out that either I am not actually privileged or the list is not a very good list.

Two, at no point did I claim to be as alienated as anyone else. I was not aware it was a competition. My references were simply to illustrate there are other people with other religions here who share similarities to me. For example, stores. There are 2 catholic stores and 1 Islamic store. Does that make me twice as privileged? I don't think so. Maybe they do. Idk.

Trust me when I say from a non- Christian perspective, calling the same old late Dec gathering a 'holiday party' is not the same full renunciation of Christmas as it is to you.

I didn't say it was. But it is an effort to make those who aren't Christians more comfortable at an office function. Some do it better than others by making it a New Years party or just a plain party. Some push secret santas, which defeats the goal of inclusion.

It does sound like you love in a fairly bigoted part of the country. Sorry to hear that. 'My Catholic friend ' is just plain rude.

Oddly enough I don't think we are that bigoted. Not saying it isn't here. Just saying I hear far worse in the news in other areas. Why is being referred to as catholic rude? They also comment that I have 10 kids and home school. It IS who I am. *shrug*

Hi how are you? This is my friend J, she works as a blank at blank.

Hello. This is Martha, she is a catholic home schooling mother of 10.

^This is not unusual for me.

Or the other version:

This is Mr Martha's wife, can you believe she home schools their TEN kids?!

OMG. What are you Catholic or something?!

Smiling Me: yes

Them: oh.

Or more recently: good god that's crazy.

Stiffly maintaining my smile: yes

As dh steers me to the bartender. ;p

I live in a part of the country that is very bigoted against Catholics. There's a megachurch here that apparently actively promotes the bigotry, because you can't be in a room for five minutes with someone from this church without hearing them rant about how disgusted they are by Catholics. The non-Catholic Christian population here is mostly white and middle class. The Catholic population has a lot more poor and Latino. So I don't know how much the bigotry is motivated by religion, and how much of it is motivated by racism and classism, but the result is still bigotry.

Indeed. There is even a weekly tv evangelist program that is nothing but 2 hours of how the Catholic Church is run by satan. Seriously.

ETA: Correction. Not Satan. The Anti-Christ. Same difference.

That is heart-wrenching to read.  I am so very, very sorry.  Your opinion matters to me.

ETA:  I should have written:  your opinion matters.  Period.

Thank you. You are very sweet.

I don't take it personally. Narrow-mindedness is their personal struggle, not mine. Now I know that those conversations are not intended for me. 

Thank you. You are very sweet.

I don't take it personally. Narrow-mindedness is their personal struggle, not mine. Now I know that those conversations are not intended for me. 

Sounds like you handle it with more grace than I might be capable of.  :grouphug:

As a member of a minority faith, the overwhelming majority of that list does not apply to me. The only exceptions are the ones referencing violence. Our faith is not out of political favor at this time. That could easily change, though I don't anticipate it will be soon. 

My husband makes a point of not mentioning his faith at work. Most assume he is a fallen Catholic (which, I suppose is technically accurate), and that I am faithful because of our choices in our family. He doesn't correct them. 

I don't feel persecuted. I am free to practice my faith in my home or at the temple of my choice without interference. That's what religious freedom means. Nothing more.

As far as Christians feeling like they're being persecuted...  If the Christians are being annoying or even obnoxious, then I don't have much sympathy.  Apart from that, I've learned that everything is relative.  If it's the worst thing you have ever experienced as a Christian (or any faith) -- even if to others it seems laughable -- then it probably feels like you are being persecuted.   I have had to come to terms with this myself, not in Christianity but in a different area.  I feel like I've experienced something that is so terrible, that in comparison it seems like everyone else's complaints are just whining.  But I've learned that to those people, their experiences feel every bit as difficult because it's the worst they have known.  And others have experienced worse than I.

1. Positive references to your faith are seen dozens a time a day by everyone, regardless of their faith.
  2. You can go into any career you want without it being associated with or explained by your faith.

Apologizing in advance if I'm just being dense, but I don't understand what is meant by these two.

When I have attempted this tactic, I am told that it is not the same, because Christianity is true and other religions are false. It's at this point I am usually invited to excuse myself from the conversation because as a nonChristian, my opinion is not relevant.

I was stunned the first few times. Now I know not to enter into any religious discussion unless specifically invited. Even then, I might decline with "I am not Christian, so my opinion doesn't matter." No one has yet argued that it does, in fact, matter.

Wow. I am sorry that has happened to you. I am a Christian and I would never treat someone like that. I do get people who say that Christianity should be excepted because it is the Truth, I just tell them that the Muslim or Hindu doesn't see things that way. I get lots of shocked looks but at least I'm making them consider another perspective that has never occured to them before.

ETA: I meant by this that I am a Christian, very much so and I believe your opinion matters.

Apologizing in advance if I'm just being dense, but I don't understand what is meant by these two.

1. When people talk about Christianity in the mainstream, mostly it's in either positive or neutral tones. "So-and-so needs to get Jesus" or "That's not very Christian", for example, are common phrases that associate good, right behavior and a healthy mental state with being a Christian. You rarely, if ever, hear "So-and-so needs to discover Buddha" or "That behavior isn't very Muslim of you".

If I turn on the TV, I guarantee I can find a show that has a main character saying grace or going to church, and it's either not a big deal or a sign that they're a good person. Or, if they're NOT a good person, them being religious is most definitely going to be shown as being hypocritical.

I can't as easily find shows that have Muslims or Hindus praying (and if they are, and they're bad people, it's even odds whether that's shown as conflicting with their faith).

2. This doesn't, I think, apply to all non-Christians. I suspect it's primarily directed towards anti-Semitism - you know, Jewish bankers, they're all so greedy* but Christian bankers are just Christians who are bankers.

Of course, this is just a rewrite of unpacking the invisible backpack, isn't it? Some of the rewrites are better than others.

*Or smart, or good with numbers, or nerdy - it depends on what level of bigotry you want to express.

1. When people talk about Christianity in the mainstream, mostly it's in either positive or neutral tones. "So-and-so needs to get Jesus" or "That's not very Christian", for example, are common phrases that associate good, right behavior and a healthy mental state with being a Christian. You rarely, if ever, hear "So-and-so needs to discover Buddha" or "That behavior isn't very Muslim of you".

If I turn on the TV, I guarantee I can find a show that has a main character saying grace or going to church, and it's either not a big deal or a sign that they're a good person. Or, if they're NOT a good person, them being religious is most definitely going to be shown as being hypocritical.

I can't as easily find shows that have Muslims or Hindus praying (and if they are, and they're bad people, it's even odds whether that's shown as conflicting with their faith).

Hmm. I admit those scenes are more prevalent, which makes sense if Christianity is the majority. It's be odd to see a majority of shows with Muslims or whatever minority. I see far more without much religious reference at all or being a bad thing as you note. But I see shows that show other beliefs too. Somewhat off topic, has anyone else watched Little Mosque on Hulu?

I rarely see much catholic on tv. Lots and lots and lots of negative parody of Catholicism though. I think my grandparents probably saw a lot more positive catholic stuff on tv and in media then I do.

• You can go into any career you want without it being associated with or explained by your faith.

Big huge no. For example, apparently catholic judges aren't too popular. JFK was seriously questioned about being catholic when he ran for president. Doctors. Nurses.

•  

•  

6 out of the 9 Supreme Court Justices are Catholic. (Scalia, Alito, Kennedy, Thomas, Sotomayor and Chief Justice Roberts).

I live in a part of the country that is very bigoted against Catholics.  There's a megachurch here that apparently actively promotes the bigotry, because you can't be in a room for five minutes with someone from this church without hearing them rant about how disgusted they are by Catholics.  The non-Catholic Christian population here is mostly white and middle class.  The Catholic population has a lot more poor and Latino.  So I don't know how much the bigotry is motivated by religion, and how much of it is motivated by racism and classism, but the result is still bigotry.

Yes to this. In my area of the country "Christian" means Protestant Calvinist preferably non-evolution believer. HA 

I am not Catholic so I don't know how they feel about it, but I am a non-Calvinist Protestant and I get tired of saying "no, not all Christians believe xyz".  

I know it is much harder for people of other faiths and for atheists.

Only because you're not hanging out in the right places. My poor friend got a tongue lashing over a book she was enquiring about from a random (and clearly very devout) lady. I asked why she didn't tell this person the book was for me, but she was afraid that'd make it worse. :lol: (I don't think she was correct, I'm sure it would have shut her up.)

recognizing that the world rejects and hates the person and message of Christ is very important.

Um...what?

Does this mean that disagreement=rejection=hate? Or That my desire not to be ruled by a religion not my own is hateful to those who would force and/or pressure me to submit?

This IMO is exactly the problem.  All I'm looking for is for others who do not share my faith to not take my own personal, privately held beliefs as an attack against them, act of sin/war, agency of Satan, or whatever nonsense you all choose to tell yourselves.

Yes to this. In my area of the country "Christian" means Protestant Calvinist preferably non-evolution believer. HA 

I am not Catholic so I don't know how they feel about it, but I am a non-Calvinist Protestant and I get tired of saying "no, not all Christians believe xyz".  

I know it is much harder for people of other faiths and for atheists.

This is exactly why I object to the trend in evangelical-style churches to refer to their denomination as "Christian".  It is probably well intended but it ends up being a slight to many, many other people of faith.

Yes. And their being catholic has been a huge controversy with those who disagree with their decisions.

It was mentioned a few times in a thread in an online forum.  Other than that? I have heard no huge controversy.

Yes. And their being catholic has been a huge controversy with those who disagree with their decisions.

And, yet... they're still appointed SCJustices and no one is calling for their dismissal despite their Catholicism.  

The article was pretty ridiculous. Yes, those are examples where claiming persecution in any significant degree is silly. That doesn't discount that it can and does happen in this country. And we need to be praying for Christian brothers and sisters globally who are facing persecution at the end of a sword. Persecution isn't exclusively defined by the act of martyrdom for the faith, and recognizing that the world rejects and hates the person and message of Christ is very important.

Regardless of whether the persecution is subtle social shaming (which is harder to fight against than outright ostracism, due to it's insidious and gradual nature) or public lynching, the response of the Church globally is to be the same - preaching the Gospel and living for the kingdom. What form that takes depends on where The Lord has placed each of us, but a believer in California is no less valuable to the kingdom or accountable to God for his faithfulness than the believer placed in the middle of Pakistan. Each has been ordained to live in a particular place and time, and be faithful with what they have been given.

Mr. Corey is misguided at best in his article, and misses the point. He is correct that crying persecution isn't an effective response to the movement of persons and culture against the Church, but he is absolutely blind if he doesn't recognize that Christianity must be about the business of proclaiming the Gospel regardless of the amount of ambient acceptance around the believer.

Can you give an example of persecution here in the U.S.?  Genuinely interested. 

Have you experienced the 'subtle social shaming'?  Of course, I understand if you don't feel comfortable sharing that. 

Here is an example of an experience in my area which has lead to my feeling on the matter. :)

A local church and pastor held weekly prayer sessions before school at a local elementary. (This was NOT the annual meet-you-at-the-pole thing) This went on every week and was held in the middle/front of the grounds, all students would have to walk past on their way in.  It was of course easily noted by the students which of their fellow-students did not participate. 

When asked to stop, they refused, they complained about being persecuted and that this is a Christian country and that they were great guys.  Ultimately a lawsuit was issued to demand they stop. The school board stepped in and said 'no meetings of any kind' and no adults on campus who weren't parents of a student. The ruling was overkill but did at least address this parent's concern.  

The pastor immediately declared that this was an attack on Christianity and he vowed to stand just outside the school grounds and continue praying for America to return to the right. He had vocal community support.

In my opinion, he was not only not being persecuted but he damaged the name of his church and was a very poor example of Christ. 

I'm referring directly to scripture on this point. The language isn't mine.

Luke 6:22 ESV

Blessed are you when people hate you and when they exclude you and revile you and spurn your name as evil, on account of the Son of Man!

1 John 3:13 ESV

Do not be surprised, brothers, that the world hates you.

Romans 12:17-21 ESV

Repay no one evil for evil, but give thought to do what is honorable in the sight of all. If possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all. Beloved, never avenge yourselves, but leave it to the wrath of God, for it is written, “Vengeance is mine, I will repay, says the Lord.†To the contrary, “if your enemy is hungry, feed him; if he is thirsty, give him something to drink; for by so doing you will heap burning coals on his head.†Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

2 Corinthians 12:10 ESV

For the sake of Christ, then, I am content with weaknesses, insults, hardships, persecutions, and calamities. For when I am weak, then I am strong.

Amos 5:10 ESV

They hate him who reproves in the gate, and they abhor him who speaks the truth.

John 15:18-25 ESV

“If the world hates you, know that it has hated me before it hated you. If you were of the world, the world would love you as its own; but because you are not of the world, but I chose you out of the world, therefore the world hates you. Remember the word that I said to you: ‘A servant is not greater than his master.’ If they persecuted me, they will also persecute you. If they kept my word, they will also keep yours. But all these things they will do to you on account of my name, because they do not know him who sent me. If I had not come and spoken to them, they would not have been guilty of sin, but now they have no excuse for their sin.

There are dozens more verses in this vein of thought. But one thing we must be sure of is that it is the message, not the delivery of it, that is hated. Believers shouldn't be abusive, arrogant, prideful, vile, unkind, impatient, or otherwise harsh. They should unflinchingly preach the body of Scripture out of love for fellow man and fear of his perishing, and shouldn't soften truth to make it more palatable. But there's a world of difference in discretion and wisdom between that and being a jerk about it. My goal is that my demeanor is sweet, even as my words may be hard for someone to swallow. I don't want my person obscuring the message I've been charged with, so I can be sure when I encounter strife or yes - persecution, that I have done all to the glory of God.

This thought process is one of the things that drove me away from the church.

Quoting scripture and living out the faith while trying to live peaceably and honorably among fellow men?

I'm confused.

Possibly she's talking about how Christians want all the privileges that go along with being the majority religion whilst simultaneously playing the martyr and having everyone feel sorry for them. I know that annoys the hell out of me, anyway. You can't have it both ways.

Quoting scripture and living out the faith while trying to live peaceably and honorably among fellow men?

I'm confused.

Hoping that your Christian enough for the world to hate you.  See hatred at every turn because it will confirm the idea you must be on the right path.

If you aren't hated enough you aren't Christian enough.  Make sure everyone around you completely despises you to the point of wanting you dead or you wont be in heaven.

I'm confused.

I gotta agree with LEAV97.  :)  I don't know about LEAV97 but I have heard all these scriptures before. 

I do not doubt your sincerity and I have no idea about your kindness since we have never met, but the scripture has been used as a weapon to many times for me.  It is starting to give me flashbacks. (sort of kidding but not really)

I am a Christian but I do not see how bludgeoning people with the Bible (not you in specific since we have never spoken, but many people who have used those same scriptures) helps them or furthers the cause of Christ. 

Most of the people who have asked me what church I attend simply said "what's that?" when I answered with the name of my Eastern Orthodox parish, because they'd never heard of it (not asked in a negative way, just a curious way).  The Catholics who have asked me have always had an instantly positive response - they obviously know what EO is and seem to have warm feelings for us.   :)  It's really nice.  But either way, I've never yet gotten into a discussion of why I do or do not believe what they believe.  And that's fine by me!  I'd rather focus on the things we have in common.  (ETA:  yikes, I did NOT mean that you shouldn't have gotten into such discussions!  Simply that I've never done so because it's never come up!  Sorry if that came across the wrong way.)

I know it's much harder for people of other faiths and for atheists.

Having spent considerably more of my adult life as an atheist than as a Christian (so far) I absolutely completely agree that atheists have it harder in this country. 

I'm not accountable for your experiences, I'm sure you know :). Just my own actions and words.

And I'm done here. I've more than explained my position on the subject in relation to the article and the interpretation of several other posters. I've been as clear as I can.

I believe your good will.  And you are right that I view your words and the quoted scriptures through a prism that has nothing to do with what you have said.  :)

Unfortunately, my experiences are not uncommon and (in my opinion ) xperiences like that actually harm the cause of Christ. 

Thank you for sharing your point of view. :)

If I turn on the TV, I guarantee I can find a show that has a main character saying grace or going to church, and it's either not a big deal or a sign that they're a good person. Or, if they're NOT a good person, them being religious is most definitely going to be shown as being a good person.

Seriously? :confused:

We must watch totally different TV shows, because I can't remember the last time I saw a TV character saying grace or going to church. And what currently popular shows make a point of having their characters be religious? I can't think of any.

We must watch totally different TV shows, because I can't remember the last time I saw a TV character saying grace or going to church. And what currently popular shows make a point of having their characters be religious? I can't think of any.

I agree that there aren't many dramas or sitcoms now which regularly portray Christianity and/or Christians.  However, it isn't hard to find Christian tv shows (stuff like the 700 Club) or even channels that broadcast all Christian content.  If you like to listen to online radio or podcasts, in the religion category 99% of it is Christian.  So it isn't exactly difficult to find Christian media, either.  

I remember seeing a character on a soap opera praying in a Catholic Church . . . when I was a teenager. I honestly can't think of anything more recent than that.

Shows like 19 kids and counting, duck dynasty, I'm sure there are more, but I'm aware of those even though they're not on my viewing list.

Shows like 19 kids and counting, duck dynasty, I'm sure there are more, but I'm aware of those even though they're not on my viewing list.

There are quite a few movies that are Christian, as well.  I heard from a few mildly annoyed movie-goers that "Mom's Night Out" or whatever it was turned out to be a Christian movie, though it wasn't generally advertised as such.  And that "God's Not Dead" thing, whatever that was.

Try to find an English movie with other religions depicted, though, where the minority religions aren't completely caricatured as gun-toting nuts or Satan-worshippers... not so much.

I agree that there aren't many dramas or sitcoms now which regularly portray Christianity and/or Christians. However, it isn't hard to find Christian tv shows (stuff like the 700 Club) or even channels that broadcast all Christian content. If you like to listen to online radio or podcasts, in the religion category 99% of it is Christian. So it isn't exactly difficult to find Christian media, either.

Yeah, but I don't know a single person who listens to or watches those channels, except maybe to watch the Pope say midnight Mass on Christmas Eve. ;)

Pretty much everyone I know watches mainstream television and wouldn't bother looking for religious stations on TV, online, or on satellite radio. And our cable company offers programming in many languages for people from many parts of the world, and I know they offer at least some religious shows -- and they are definitely not Christian. (I don't watch those, either -- apparently I am an equal opportunity non-viewer ;) -- but they're out there if you flip through the channels or search online.)

Yes, but those are cable network reality shows, not anything you would see on network television. It's not as though the popular dramas or sitcoms (on any TV station, really) are religious in nature.

Yeah, but I don't know a single person who listens to or watches those channels, except maybe to watch the Pope say midnight Mass on Christmas Eve. ;)

Wow! What a different world we live in. The local Christian station is the muzak in the majority of places around here. In fact, I've never heard another live radio station being played in any store in the Houston area.

I remember seeing a character on a soap opera praying in a Catholic Church . . . when I was a teenager. I honestly can't think of anything more recent than that.

I can't, either, although I remember that years ago I used to watch Wiseguy, and Vinnie's brother was a priest... but poor Father Pete got killed off after a while...

The only one that's not a reality show that I can think of is Seventh Heaven.

Oh, and I think the Hallmark Channel has shown movies based on Christian novels. A friend of mine was telling me about one...When Calls the Heart?

Another one! Call the Midwife features Anglican nuns.

Wow! What a different world we live in. The local Christian station is the muzak in the majority of places around here. In fact, I've never heard another live radio station being played in any store in the Houston area.

We never hear Christian music in public places here. I am not anti-Christian, but I wouldn't want to live in a place where everyone asks you where you go to church (we don't attend church,) or where religious music is played in stores. That would seem so weird and intrusive to me. :eek:

The point is that they are there while the Buddhist version, is not.

Actually, I think there is at least one Buddhist channel in our cable lineup, although I can't remember the call letters, as well as the Thai channel. We have some of everything here.

We never hear Christian music in public places here. I am not anti-Christian, but I wouldn't want to live in a place where everyone asks you where you go to church (we don't attend church,) or where religious music is played in stores. That would seem so weird and intrusive to me. :eek:

Really? I frequently hear Christian music. I frequently am asked about where I go to church. So much so that my son is a master at handling the situation. He does better than I do at it. He is 10.

Really? I frequently hear Christian music. I frequently am asked about where I go to church. So much so that my son is a master at handling the situation. He does better than I do at it. He is 10.

I would hate that. It would make me very uncomfortable. I mean, if it was only an occasional thing, I guess it wouldn't be a big deal, but if it was a regular thing, it would really bug me.

Actually, I think there is at least one Buddhist channel in our cable lineup, although I can't remember the call letters, as well as the Thai channel. We have some of everything here.

:huh: I just just threw Buddhist out there because it seems to be the most misunderstood religion. I will have to check out my parents channels to see if it is here. Though it is probably blocked in my state as something highly obscene. More obscene than the adult bars located every 1.75 miles on every highway.

Yes, but those are cable network reality shows, not anything you would see on network television. It's not as though the popular dramas or sitcoms (on any TV station, really) are religious in nature.

Duck Dynasty was listed as one of the top 25 most watched shows of 2013 by TV Guide, right up there with shows from the networks, sitcom/drama or otherwise, http://www.tvguide.com/news/most-watched-tv-shows-top-25-2012-2013-1066503.aspx

I would hate that. It would make me very uncomfortable. I mean, if it was only an occasional thing, I guess it wouldn't be a big deal, but if it was a regular thing, it would really bug me.

Day in and day out. The rural radio station (the only one not playing country) starts the day with a morning prayer followed the the pledge and the national anthem. Every morning at 6 am. The station is rural but reaches into one of the largest midwest cities. I take DS to homeschool skate and they only play religious music. Homeschool band and choir? Christian with Christian music. And on and on it goes. 

Day in and day out. The rural radio station (the only one not playing country) starts the day with a morning prayer followed the the pledge and the national anthem. Every morning at 6 am. The station is rural but reaches into one of the largest midwest cities. I take DS to homeschool skate and they only play religious music. Homeschool band and choir? Christian with Christian music. And on and on it goes.

:eek: :eek: :eek:

I would move. That would be way too much for me.