Menu

Correct Use of Ellipses

IfIOnly

Well, usually they're used to omit part of a sentence in journalism.

So, let's say I wanted to wanted to condense the following: "I love going to the beach in the summer," said Jane. "I enjoy many aspects of the ocean, like eating warm sandwiches, getting sand in my lady bits, dodging seagull poop, and sunburns. It really is a magical feeling." 

I could write "I love going to the beach in the summer," said Jane. "I enjoy many aspects of the ocean...It really is a magical feeling."

That's interesting. Thank you both.  Most of the time I've seen them used online though, it hasn't been to alter a quote.  Is there an online (chat forum, Facebook, Pinterest) or letter informal use of ellipses that is okay, or are most people just using them wrong?

Academically  (university writing)I use them when doing a direct quote to show that I have left some of the information I am quoting out. only three dots are used when doing this according to APA guidelines.

On this forum I use them  when I am starting to go on and on about something........  instead of writing and so  on and so forth, etc.

I don't do any other writing and so don't use them anywhere else

And I read the thread title and was coming in to discuss ellipses as opposed to hyperbolas, parabolas, circles, and lines. I am sad.

I had to Google "three dots" to find out what it was called.  :P  

Well, it looks like there isn't a consensus about how to use ellipses informally, except that there should be exactly 3 dots (or 4 with a period).  Thanks :)

If a student was using them in formal writing, I would probably make them take them out unless they were used in quotes to indicate missing text.  Even in creative writing to indicate pauses, I would want to keep them at a minimum.  I would liken their use in creative writing to the exclamation mark.  Use extremely sparingly.

On the other hand...  in things like, you know...  forum posts...  I kind of love them.

Informally, I use them because I love them...I only love them if there's 3 dots...if there's 4 it's too many....if there's 2 it's too few..to me, ellipses mirror thought...sometimes thought runs on and on and on but other times it pauses...gathers itself...reframes...develops...takes a somewhat new path...

One can also use it to trail off...as if one is speaking and the thought simply dies away...

I think maybe you should write an ode to ellipses. ;)

And I read the thread title and was coming in to discuss ellipses as opposed to hyperbolas, parabolas, circles, and lines. I am sad.

Same here!  I be not a English person... so do not particularly care if this type be used correctly on a forum to be honest.  The geometry version is FAR more important.

The English type?  I use them a lot... to space thought... and I prefer seeing posts with them for similar reasons as it makes those posts easier to read (including intent of posts).

I would NOT use them in formal writing except to show where part of a quote was left out.

ps  And as much as I'm seriously NOT an English person (Physics/Math/Psych for actual college degreed stuff), I will admit that middle son maxed the English portion of the ACT, so I don't think I'm TOO far off.  The typos I often make though - that's due to laziness and not proofreading well... except in this post. ;)

I'll admit... I use them way too much... and I improperly insert spaces (sometimes before and after) because otherwise it looks crowded.  

In all seriousness, I tend to write/type like I speak.  I use ellipses to indicate pauses or sometimes in places where I might would use a semicolon.