Menu

Geography Poll

Goegraphy or 6th/8th grader  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Help me choose a geography program!

• Knowledge Quest's Expedition Earth
    • Holt World Geography
    • Glencoe World Geography
    • Other? Please elaborate!

Two suggestions:

Trail Guides for Geography http://www.home-school-curriculum.com/product/trail-guide-to-world-geography

As far as I can tell, it is secular.

And Ellen McHenry's Mapping the World with Art

http://store.ellenjmchenry.com/?product_cat=mapping-the-world

I'm actually combing these along with Harmony Art Mom's World Geography plans (FREE). Waiting for Trail Guide to arrive in the mail so I can make lesson plans for my rising 7th graders.

I adapted Glencoe World Geography with the OM syllabus to make an "honors" middle school course. OM is very flexible and gives a range of suggested activities for each chapter.

I had the Trail Guide to World Geography but barely used it.

An alternative to the above that I am considering is  World Cultures & Geography. A link to an online text to check out: http://www.nexuslearning.net/books/ML-WCG-East/

I think I'm going to use Holt World Geography as my spine, because I already own it.

I found this and got really excited at first - Zombie Based Geography. I don't think it's quite what I want though, and it's pretty expensive. Even so, it's a neat idea! (There are samples on the ordering site for the printed materials.) I might pick up the graphic novel for the Kindle, since that's only $2.99 and add it to my plan just for fun.

A note on the Trail Guide.  We used and loved the U.S. Trail Guide, but found the World Trail Guide to not be as good.  It looks the same on the surface, but it wasn't as organized, the questions didn't make as much sense, and the mapping was all over the place.  That were my kids' thoughts anyway.  We stopped halfway through.  I may have dd 8th grade do MyWorld geography next year in addition to other history; not sure if it will be too much.

I think I'm going to use Holt World Geography as my spine, because I already own it.

I found this and got really excited at first - Zombie Based Geography. I don't think it's quite what I want though, and it's pretty expensive. Even so, it's a neat idea! (There are samples on the ordering site for the printed materials.) I might pick up the graphic novel for the Kindle, since that's only $2.99 and add it to my plan just for fun.

Bwahaha, zombie-based geography!

Mandy

ooooh, that is neat.  Pricey, though not esp. for a full course I think; it's $135 for print-based, $30/3 months subscription-based (looks like automatic rollover and would be $120/year).  Here's the S&S:

Mapping the Outbreak Map and analyze zombie attacks · Geographic tools

· Display data on a map

· Analyze spatial relationships

Creating Regions Create regions to warn citizens · Types and uses of regions

· Create and display regions

Mental Mapping Map your neighborhood from memory · Explain mental maps

· Create mental maps

· Improve mental mapping

Physical Characteristics Choose a location based on landform and climate · Landforms and climate

· Patterns of characteristics

· Natural hazards

· Opportunity and constraint

Resources Choose a location based on resources · Types of resources

· Formation of resources

· Advantages of resources

Migration Describe local connections of new settlement · Types of migration

· Push and pull factors

· Movement within regions

Settlements Designing a new settlement · Functions and patterns of settlements

· Urban land use

· Boundaries and conflicts

Human-Environment Impact Environmental impact of new settlement · Role of technology

· Long distance impact

· Positive and negative impact

Ecosystems Model change in ecosystem post-outbreak · Intro to ecosystems

· Systems in ecosystems

Demographics Compare population change post-outbreak · Population demographics

· Comparing demographics

· Population density

Geography and History Use history to influence plans · Historical expansion of settlements

Culture Plan to aid survival of all cultures · Cultural characteristics

· Diffusion

· Cultural landscape

Planning Plan for the next 30 years. · Current and future issues

· Geographic planning

This is the Holt World Geography that I have. It's the middle school version. I picked it up used ages ago. I'd just be using it as part of our geography program, so I don't think I need to bother with the high school edition.

I told my husband last night that I wish I could just have my ds watch Anthony Bourdain each week, and assign some reading to go along with the episodes. He said, "Why don't you then?"

This is the Holt World Geography that I have. It's the middle school version. I picked it up used ages ago. I'd just be using it as part of our geography program, so I don't think I need to bother with the high school edition.

I told my husband last night that I wish I could just have my ds watch Anthony Bourdain each week, and assign some reading to go along with the episodes. He said, "Why don't you then?"

For a while, we were reading Richard Halliburton's Complete Book of Marvels, and then watching an Anthony Bourdain episode to "go with it". Hmmm.

I looked at everything that was available and didn't find anything very engaging so put my own together and largely used DVDs (e.g. Michael Palin's and Rick Steve's) and then set research projects that were fun (e.g. plan a 10 day trip around Scotland). I also used a book called "Selling Destinations" used by the travel industry. And they played lots of online geography games.

The one curriculum I did get my kids to do was Runkle's Geography - but it is mainly earth science. It does have some basic info on political geography. I did that with them in middle school.

Okay, the only reason I voted "other" was so I could see the tally of votes (sorry!).  My two are rising 5th and 7th, and while I'm not worrying overly much about geography yet (only our 2nd year homeschooling and have other, higher priorities to get straight first) I do want to know what people know about and recommend. 

Thank you!

ooooh, that is neat.  Pricey, though not esp. for a full course I think; it's $135 for print-based, $30/3 months subscription-based (looks like automatic rollover and would be $120/year).  Here's the S&S:

Mapping the Outbreak Map and analyze zombie attacks · Geographic tools

· Display data on a map

· Analyze spatial relationships

Creating Regions Create regions to warn citizens · Types and uses of regions

· Create and display regions

Mental Mapping Map your neighborhood from memory · Explain mental maps

· Create mental maps

· Improve mental mapping

Physical Characteristics Choose a location based on landform and climate · Landforms and climate

· Patterns of characteristics

· Natural hazards

· Opportunity and constraint

Resources Choose a location based on resources · Types of resources

· Formation of resources

· Advantages of resources

Migration Describe local connections of new settlement · Types of migration

· Push and pull factors

· Movement within regions

Settlements Designing a new settlement · Functions and patterns of settlements

· Urban land use

· Boundaries and conflicts

Human-Environment Impact Environmental impact of new settlement · Role of technology

· Long distance impact

· Positive and negative impact

Ecosystems Model change in ecosystem post-outbreak · Intro to ecosystems

· Systems in ecosystems

Demographics Compare population change post-outbreak · Population demographics

· Comparing demographics

· Population density

Geography and History Use history to influence plans · Historical expansion of settlements

Culture Plan to aid survival of all cultures · Cultural characteristics

· Diffusion

· Cultural landscape

Planning Plan for the next 30 years. · Current and future issues

· Geographic planning

Thank you, that is quite helpful!  Some practical cartography involved, from the looks of it, as well as geography.  Have you and yours used the course yet?  What do you think of it?  It sounds tempting, but I will need to consider carefully how to fit it into our budget and our school year plan so far.  I'm not familiar with Zombie Apocalypse, but DDalmost13 is really getting into graphic novel-type materials.  She might actually like this.

• 2 weeks later...

I have looked at this program and am really liking the looks of it.  I found a more complete sample here :  http://schoolhouseteachers.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/North-Star-Geography-Lesson-21.pdf

I think I will be using this with my 8th grader next year.  It doesn't look too complicated and it seems like you can easily pick and choose what they have to complete.  I think the textbook looks like a 7th grader could understand it.

Beth

We use Map Trek.  It has all the maps from ancient times to present and has outlines describing what different ages should be doing with the maps.  We have the hardcover book and then it came with a CDrom to print out the blank maps for the kiddos to fill out. 

• 3 weeks later...

I am using Glencoe World Geography with my 7th grader this coming school year. I am a meanie, though; she is doing history as well :D

Bumping this thread up because I have to eat my words :D . I am <gasp> dropping formal history this year (except for a quick reading of Book of the Ancient Greeks before we tackle Homer) because I decided to have my 7th grader focus more on geography after finding this amazing resource that I wanted to share with y'all. Barefoot Meandering has a free list of books (for all ages, up through high school) and Netflix/Amazon videos to go with countries around the world on her site. Just click on Geography Literature.