Menu

Anyone experienced with cat labor? Help!

hsbaby

Hi all! My kids and I came across a sweet, white, odd eyed stray at the gas station last week. They said she had been there a while do we brought her home. We have 2 other (fixed!) cats and were just going to add her to the bunch. Well, 2 days ago she wandered up with a sac hanging out. I had no idea she was pregnant.... She is tiny and looks young. So, the sac was out for about 12 hours. I checked on her and it was gone. Took her to vet a few hours later and he said it didn't break, but went back in?! And that she is not dialated. I'm totally inexperienced here....he didn't seem concerned, but it's been another 24 hours and nothing! She doesn't look to be contracting or in pain. I can see and feel the babies moving. How long would you wait to take her back to vet? Am I over reacting? Aahhhh....this is why we never have pets that aren't spayed or neutered....I feel so clueless!

If you see black discharge coming our of her get her to the vet asap. That means the kittens are in distress. If you see her pushing for over a hour and nothing comes out get her to a vet.  You can tell she is pushing by the way she moves her tail. it will rise up and kind of arch.

Nature is pretty good at taking its course. These things generally happen when no one is around.  Our vet is wonderful at diagnosing over the phone. So if something happens that you are nervous about don't hesitate to call them. 

Another suggestion is get a  box with soft blankets in a secluded spot. Start taking her there every so often. If you don't she might find a less than desirable place for you to have her kittens. Also, if you notice her being restless moving from one place to another scratching around that's a good indication that the birth is approaching. Sometimes you can feel their stomachs and feel them getting tight. Look for the cat acting really uncomfortable.

Our neighbors cat once found her way in through our dog door. She ended up having her kittens in our kitchen cabinets in the mixing bowls. We did not even know she was there until I heard a soft meowing.

Give her a comfortable place to birth, she may not want what you offer or may have found a spot already though. Just wait and see. There is not much else you can do. Some signs that she is preparing for or in labor are; decrease in appetite, listless behavior, pacing, excessive licking ofvulva and grooming in general, blood discharge, she may go in hiding.

She'll likely do everything on her own but when she is giving birth make sure she licks the sacs off all the kittens

Thank you both! I have made her up a box in our mud room and she's been there for 2 days. I'll keep an eye out for the signs you mentioned. I just think the sac hanging out for so long and then disappearing is so weird! I really hope this turns out ok!

Still no kitties!!!! I walked in yesterday and there were a few puddles of liquid. Enough to make me think her water broke. But, alas, nothing:( She seems to be acting completely normal and I can still feel the kitties moving around.

It's so good of you to take such great care of a stray cat! I hope the babies arrive soon, and uneventfully.

Honestly, she is too cute and sweet not to!! We will definitely be keeping (and spaying!!) her and maybe one kitten...if they ever decide to come out:/

Yay! Kitties :D  Would it be really bad of me to say, that I hope a baby kitten washes up on my doorstep (dh doesn't want another cat...but I think if one landed here, he'd be okay). We had a stray visiting us nightly for our dog's leftovers, but apparently, she hasn't been back in awhile. :(

When I was in high school I had to tell my mom I felt ill so I could stay home from school...as my tiny black cat, Harpo, was obviously about to have her kittens..and she was following me everywhere, miaowing. The only way to get her to stay in the wee nest I made for her next to my bed was for me to stay right next to her. Yes, she tried to follow me to the bathroom mid-delivery of one kitten! Took about an hour per kitten, and she had five!