Menu

In which I ask for medical advice from complete strangers on the internet

Miss Peregrine

I have already made an appt with an orthopedic surgeon.

My shoulder has had a feeling like "electricity" off an on for a few years. It has never been anything major and gone away quickly. It came back a few weeks ago and has gotten progressively worse. I am now not able to use my arm.

I think it is a pinched nerve. My DH thinks it is exactly what he had surgery for in January, a labral tear.

My question is, would you try a chiropractor first? My appt with the ortho is Monday. I have never been to the chiro but I take my kids.

I had that. For me, it was a pinched nerve from a herniated disc in my neck. It is important to have it evaluated by a doctor sooner rather than later because you can do permanent damage if your nerve is pinched for too long.

Good luck at the ortho!

I'd go to a neurologist, but the ortho is a fine place to start. I wouldn't mess with a chiropractor.

Me too. Try to find an ortho or neuro who specializes in neck/upper spine. The brain type of neuro or a knee expert ortho won't be as helpful.

Hope you get it figured out quickly!

No.  I would go to the appt with the doctor and have it assessed before trying a chiropractor.  They are great for some things (I see one often) but there are issues that they can make worse.  I would want to rule out the really serious stuff before I took a chance on causing permanent damage because I messed with a joint that was seriously injured.

Get a diagnosis before you consider going to the chiro for something like that. I went in for severe lower backpain. They didn't have anyway of knowing that the pain was actually a raging kidney infection. Thankfully I went to see my ARNP/midwife at the hospital a day or two later (I was pregnant).

Ds finally had an MRI, and they finally found his posterior labral tear.  I would go to the doctor first and rule out the big stuff, then do a chiropractor and pt if you don't need surgery.

And would you or your dh be willing to describe the rehab for his shoulder?

HTH

I would go to a good chiro first.   here are some of our experiences.

dd did something to her wrist at college.  she was typing, and one day it "just went".  she couldn't use her right hand for much of anything.  she was put on anti-inflamitories, had PT, even went to a chiro who did NOT do "extremities", etc.  she came home for spring break that year.  I wanted to take her to my chiro - who DID do extremities.  (I'd already talked to him, he was sure from the description exactly what bone she'd dislodged in her wrist) 

dh insisted I take her to an orthopod.  so, that monday, I got her in with an orthopod - "oh, there's nothing I can do, just rest it and come back in four months if it doesn't get better." :toetap05:   (I was irked at dh for demanding I take her to the ortho)

tuesday morning, I get her into my chiro.  he examined her, said an x-ray cannot give the angle needed to show the bone out of position that was pressing on a nerve, but adjusted her neck, shoulder, elbow and wrist.  some improvement.  go back everyday, and he did the same thing, each time with  more improvement. 

she flew out late friday night, and probably had a 95% return of function. she could do such mundane things as - take notes in class.  she had a few more adjustments when she was back for summer, but everything is fine and good.  no surgery.

1ds' experience with a pinched nerve in his spine diagnosed/treated by this same chiro, after years of heavy duty drugs, ivs, ER trips, multiple allopaths unsuccessfully treating him with testing at our local children's hosptial, convinced dh to try a chiro when he ruptured a disk.  the orthopod wanted to do surgery.

chiro 2x per day for three days, then 1x per day, then every other day then every few days  . .  anyway, no surgery, much faster recovery (cheaper and easier too) and no more back trouble.

anyway - I am very unhappy with him for buying a practice 45 minutes away, :sneaky2:

Ds finally had an MRI, and they finally found his posterior labral tear. I would go to the doctor first and rule out the big stuff, then do a chiropractor and pt if you don't need surgery.

And would you or your dh be willing to describe the rehab for his shoulder?

HTH

Sure. He wore a sling 24-7 for the first 2 ish weeks. He was sent home with an ice machine to ice every couple of hours. He had to sleep in a recliner for about a week.

He started physical therapy after almost a month. He did that for about 2 months. I think he needed to go longer but the state was in control of this one( work injury)

He went back to work after 4 months.

HTH and feel free to ask if you have anymore questions.

Yes, I'd absolutely try a chiropractor first. I have the same nerve sensation in one leg when I start to get sciatica, then if it gets worse I get low back pain too. If the chiropractor helps, ask him/her to show you stretches you can do to prevent it.

My appt was for Monday.

Dh called his surgeon's office and asked if there were any cancellations. I am now going tomorrow at 10:45. I had also made an appt for tomorrow at the chiro office. I am going to both appts. :)

I am kind of glad it's sooner. I have a hugely high tolerance for pain and I have been gasping, it hurts so badly. And to top it all off, I cant do my hair. :lol:

My appt was for Monday.

Dh called his surgeon's office and asked if there were any cancellations. I am now going tomorrow at 10:45. I had also made an appt for tomorrow at the chiro office. I am going to both appts. :)

I am kind of glad it's sooner. I have a hugely high tolerance for pain and I have been gasping, it hurts so badly. And to top it all off, I cant do my hair. :lol:

Wait. You can't do your hair??? That sounds like an emergency to me!!!

😜 I would be seriously stressed if I couldn't do my hair! I live in a very humid climate and my hair gets frizzy and it's not a cute look.

Hope you feel better soon!

Elise in NC

Wait. You can't do your hair??? That sounds like an emergency to me!!!

😜 I would be seriously stressed if I couldn't do my hair! I live in a very humid climate and my hair gets frizzy and it's not a cute look.

Hope you feel better soon!

Elise in NC

Tell me about it! I have half-wavy, half stick- straight hair that either needs to be blown dry or pinned up. I cannot lift my arm.

Dh tried to pin it up in this messy french twist thing I do, but it fell out. I have to go to two doctors with mop hair. Waaah!