Menu

What does your dream garden look like?

helena

What would you grow? How would it look? What kind of materials? How about the perfect trees?

Pics and links would be welcomed too!

I'm planning my dream garden and having such a good time researching. My cousin introduced me to Pintrest and I've built a collection of photos that's starting to really show what's in my mind. So fun!

:lurk5:

Mine would have to come with a paid gardener.  We're getting ready to hire someone to mow one difficult slope because it truly has gotten away from me, and I can't physically handle any more.  The lawn, garden, current beds, and trees keep me busy 2-3 hours a day this time of year, and usually all day Saturday.

My square foot garden would be the same, but I'd love a small orchard of low maintenance apples (HA!) and a flower garden next to the house.  But just a dream...

Link to your Pinterest page? Please? (If that's not too intrusive.)

I don't have my dream garden. I don't have time for my dream garden, but I do have time to work on it a little each year. 

My dream garden has fruit trees and berry bushes. An arbor...maybe even a tunnel of trees grown over an arch. It has lots of paths, a wall, lots of light, not much (if any) lawn. Perennial gardens everywhere. A small vegetable garden. 

I think the problem is that I love to go to public gardens and arboretums. I am way too excitable. 

I try to do a little every year. I buy a few perennials and move the ones I have around a bit. I'm learning about masonry right now. I want to put a short flagstone path in. I'm collecting things a little at a time. ;)

In my dream garden there is a full time gardener so the plants and trees are not victim to my black thumb.

As for trees-growing up we had 2 apple trees, a pear tree, a peach tree, and a cherry tree in our backyard.  It was quite awesome.  Besides all the great fruit apple and cherry trees are great for climbing.

My dream garden would have the look/feel of an English garden mainly….but as I live in Florida, I'd also love some wonderful fruit trees (orange, lemon, ruby red grapefruit, mango, and avocado), and a berry patch (probably wouldn't work well here) and a tomato/herb garden.  My Aunt lives in Alabama and has an entire wall of hydrangeas which is gorgeous.  I'd love to have a bunch of crepe myrtle trees too.

I have zero ability with gardening, though.  So it really is a dream.

Pinterest is a wonderful, dangerous place.

Great Dixter would do me (it's flowers rather than veg).  I'm working on vibrant colours and lots of luxuriance.  These are photos from last year.  The trees in the background next to the garage are beeches.

L

Something weird just happened. I clicked on your links and then responded but it was evidently a thread titled "California Poppies in Scotland - here you are Bill." Sorry. Will repeat here:

Are those long, stalky flowers in the front garden gladiolas, digitalis, hollyhock or something else entirely? I cannot tell from the picture and may not know anyway. They look great. I like tall flowers of bushy. Finally got my hydrangeas going and have some hollyhocks.

Something weird just happened. I clicked on your links and then responded but it was evidently a thread titled "California Poppies in Scotland - here you are Bill." Sorry. Will repeat here:

Are those long, stalky flowers in the front garden gladiolas, digitalis, hollyhock or something else entirely? I cannot tell from the picture and may not know anyway. They look great. I like tall flowers of bushy. Finally got my hydrangeas going and have some hollyhocks.

The pink ones are foxgloves - they grow wild and self-seed.  The purple round ones are Allium Globemaster.

L

Flower garden: peonies and hydrangeas.  Neither of which grow in my zone in FL.

Vegetable garden:  I have done only square foot gardening and I can never get the amounts right.  We'd have a spoonful of peas for the entire family for example.  Or 3 beets.  Or one itty bitty cucumber.  Lettuce and spinach were the only crops I could get proper yields for.

Link to your Pinterest page? Please? (If that's not too intrusive.)

I don't have my dream garden. I don't have time for my dream garden, but I do have time to work on it a little each year. 

My dream garden has fruit trees and berry bushes. An arbor...maybe even a tunnel of trees grown over an arch. It has lots paths, a wall, lots of light, not much (if any) lawn. Perennial gardens everywhere. A small vegetable garden. 

I think the problem is that I love to go to public gardens and arboretums. I am way too excitable. 

I try to do a little every year. I buy a few perennials and move the ones I have around a bit. I'm learning about masonry right now. I want to put a short flagstone path in. I'm collecting things a little at a time. ;)

Great Dixter would do me (it's flowers rather than veg).  I'm working on vibrant colours and lots of luxuriance.  These are photos from last year.  The trees in the background next to the garage are beeches.

L

Loved this photo tour! I loved all the open meadow space. I've recently turned on to Piet Oudolf. Wow. European gardens can be so dreamy! 

I'm in So. Cal, so my garden has to work with zone 9 & 10, but I think I can use a lot of the plants and ideas he uses. 

Love your poppies and nasturtiums. :) Looks like home to me. I was glad when my mom re-designed her gardens (her dream garden) and still left room for the trusty ol' California Poppy. 

http://www.oudolf.com/piet-oudolf 

The pink ones are foxgloves - they grow wild and self-seed.  The purple round ones are Allium Globemaster.

L

I love the look of foxglove/digitalis but I am afraid some stupid animal would munch on it and die in my flower bed. Canterbury Bells are similar and not poisonous from what I heard. I should try those. Ideas, ideas. The big allium are showy too. :)

I love the look of foxglove/digitalis but I am afraid some stupid animal would munch on it and die in my flower bed. Canterbury Bells are similar and not poisonous from what I heard. I should try those. Ideas, ideas. The big allium are showy too. :)

What animals?  As foxglove grows wild here, the deer and rabbits don't seem attracted to it, otherwise there would be corpses everywhere.  Nothing eats the alliums either - they taste of onion.

L

Profusions of bougainvillea, plum trees, carpets of chamomile as ground cover which gives a lovely smell when stepped on, a small pond/fountain, wild roses, lots herbs, a chiminea for sitting around on cool nights...this is what I'm envisioning as I take tentative steps into the gardening realm.

What animals?  As foxglove grows wild here, the deer and rabbits don't seem attracted to it, otherwise there would be corpses everywhere.  Nothing eats the alliums either - they taste of onion.

L

We have 2 barn cats, a dog and whatever rodents come by at night. I have never seen the dog nibble on flowers. I don't know if those cats would be attracted either.

Perhaps in areas where it grows wild (must be gorgeous) animals are smarter?

We have 2 barn cats, a dog and whatever rodents come by at night. I have never seen the dog nibble on flowers. I don't know if those cats would be attracted either.

Perhaps in areas where it grows wild (must be gorgeous) animals are smarter?

I suspect that it probably tastes bad.  We have lots of rabbits, and they tend to nibble at things just to try.  I suspect that they try foxglove once and not again, before they get a fatal dose.  Our dog eats grass, but no other plants.

L

I suspect that it probably tastes bad.  We have lots of rabbits, and they tend to nibble at things just to try.  I suspect that they try foxglove once and not again, before they get a fatal dose.  Our dog eats grass, but no other plants.

L

You are probably right. I may try growing one next to the hollyhock and perhaps a Canterbury Bell alongside. That would be pretty.

Monet's Garden is enviable, lovely photos in a library book I discovered recently. Mt. Vernon. I would live where it rains more often but here in dry central Texas I'm learning more about native landscaping and the awesome wildflowers.

I love ferns.

Fort Worth Botanic Gardens is a nice place to go. Rose gardens, a Japanese garden, fragrance garden.

I would have a big medicinal and culinary herb garden. Milk thistles of five kinds to encourage butterflies. Dill. Basil. Chives. Sage. Thyme. Garlic.

Tomatoes, heirloom. Corn, real corn. Nothing owned by Monsanto. Cucumbers galore, I love cucumbers. Mints. Carrots, there is so much that I would love to grow.

Nut trees. English walnut, hazelnut. Red raspberry bushes, blueberry bushes, apricot and peach trees.

Iris, peonies, azalea, rhododendron, hosta, asters of every shade, my new love zinnias, lantana.

Bubbling fountain, red flowers for hummingbirds, birdbaths, dogwood trees, witch hazel, moss.

In my dream garden none of the tomatoes would have blossom end rot...

Or tomato hornworms...I accidentally touched one yesterday while picking a tomato. :willy_nilly:

My dream garden would have fruit trees, berries,  veggies, herbs, a cutting garden for flowers to place in my home. 

My dream garden would have a heated greenhouse. There would be more fruit such as grapes, saskatoons, strawberries, raspberries, and honeyberries. I have a good start, but not enough yet. I would have flower beds surrounding my garden fence. Other then that, I already have my dream garden. I have two 4'x32' beds, two 4' x24' beds, and two 4'x8' beds. As well as numerous cages for my potatoes (the number varies year by year). I have lots of peas, beans, broccli, watermelon, pumpkin, tomatoes, cucumbers, onions, radishes, spinach, lettuce, kohlrabi, purple carrots, regular carrots, and beets. We have a picket fence around it, although right now that is under repair. I would love it if we had landscaping fabric and washed gravel in the walkways between boxes, but for now I just weedeat lots. I LOVE my garden.